Seriously, it's time to hand us the Skyscale

37 minutes ago, Valisha.8650 said:

I got mine, and honestly, i would have no issue if they let you skip it for 2000 gems or their gold equivalent.

Games are supposed to be fun, first and foremost. Some people have fun getting everything slowly and through hard work, some people prefer to just throw bunch of money and get it quicker. Just like IRL. No one will get hurt if people would be able to skip stuff for $.

Sounds like your ideal games are mobile games and Korean/Chinese MMOs then. If you just want to skip every bit of gameplay with $$$ you have a plethora of options and will only have more as the years progress. Leave the few games where you actually have to play them to earn the rewards alone. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Blizzard straight up ripped the Skyscale and is going to make 10x more than ANet because it's a selling point of their expansion. Meanwhile, ANet makes it a tedious side quest that forces us to minimize the game 100 times in order to use guides that also link to other guides (e.g., Runestone 'puzzle'). That is not good design.

But people will keep defending it, because they got theirs. I get it, you worked hard, so you're obviously going to think that others should too. You enjoy the reward, which makes you think the journey is worth it. That is flawed thinking. Enjoy keeping this MMORPG off the radar.

Optional side quests with rewards that some people like is keeping this game off the radar?

Odd, every MMO has this.

And I do not have the Skyscale because I do not like the path to getting it. That doesnt mean that there is something wrong with the path, just that not every optional aspect of a game will appeal to everyone.

• Like 8

It's not a matter of "I have mine, so you'll have to work for it as well" reasoning. If all remotely difficult or grindy items or achievements can be bought with gems, then what's the point of the game? It'll be basically a pay-to-win game.

And if players do not have the resources to buy gems with RL money, then they'll have to farm for gold. And let's assume for a minute that you can buy skyscale from BLTC. How much should it cost? 5k gems. Maybe just 2k? Now, how long will it take you to farm enough gold to get the required amount of gems? Probably someone will come up with T4 fractals being a good gold source. So, how long did it take to get to T4? And then farm them? Or any other good sources for gold farming.

The amount of time it'll take to acquire enough gold will be lots more grindy and time-consuming than to simply try and get it through the achievement routes. There's absolutely no routes to fast gold farming that do not require initial grinding.

If any remotely difficult-to-acquire items are just given, then again, what's the point of the game?

"You have yours, so I should get it as well with hardly any effort"? "Other MMOs give them for free, so I should get it as well"?

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

For all the people saying it doesn't take long or it was easier than this or that mount, you are wrong. It isn't very hard, but it is very time consuming. And most people if not almost all, will have to tab out to look at a guide and yes, that does get annoying. But, I still would not want the skyscale for free. I'm fine with it the way it is, just don't say it's fast and easy to get. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

20 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Blizzard straight up ripped the Skyscale and is going to make 10x more than ANet because it's a selling point of their expansion. Meanwhile, ANet makes it a tedious side quest that forces us to minimize the game 100 times in order to use guides that also link to other guides (e.g., Runestone 'puzzle'). That is not good design.

But people will keep defending it, because they got theirs. I get it, you worked hard, so you're obviously going to think that others should too. You enjoy the reward, which makes you think the journey is worth it. That is flawed thinking. Enjoy keeping this MMORPG off the radar.

Sure, want a precursor too?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

It was legit never hard to begin with, just took a lot of time, both because there was a massive list of things you had to do, and because there was an actual daily time gate.

"a lot of time" => 5 days ...

16 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

The only thing that slows it down now is map currency gathering, but if you do that before starting on the skyscale you can breeze through it. Even if you still need to collect all the currency, if you do it seriously(map dailies, events, node farming), it shouldn't take you more than a week or two at most.

AFAIK every map allows you to get at least 20 of its currency per day. That would take 13 days for the 250. You can buy 5/day from the elonian trader which brings it down to 10 days.

Kralkatite is even easier since you can get 75 from the hearts per character.

There is also strikes and Eternal Ice trader providing additional options.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh man I opted into the beta honestly I cant wait to try out the Dracthyr, I miss playing races that can shapeshift. As for the dragon flight you are not getting it for free without doing nothing. Oh no you have to do challenges get rep do collections, so yeah its the same kind of thing many mmorpgs do. Maybe I can ride Alexstrazza

https://blz-contentstack-images.akamaized.net/v3/assets/blt9c12f249ac15c7ec/blt9612f8c5c4121dd5/62474293da5a7125ed751d4e/cinematic_render_4.jpg?auto=webp

Edited by Tiviana.2650
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

But people will keep defending it, because they got theirs. I get it, you worked hard, so you're obviously going to think that others should too.

Err, I will defend it because it was fun -- I didn't feel like it was "tedious." The impression that some players are completely lazy seems to be accurate. 😄

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, kettering.6823 said:

Sounds like your ideal games are mobile games and Korean/Chinese MMOs then. If you just want to skip every bit of gameplay with $$$ you have a plethora of options and will only have more as the years progress. Leave the few games where you actually have to play them to earn the rewards alone. 

Read again that guy you respond to got theirs and dont mind if others have to pay 2k ( I say up it to 5-7k) gems to bypass the grind.

• Confused 1

To be perfectly honest, WoW is a Blizzard game, I'd say doing something because Blizzard did it isn't the way to do things. Blizzard  did an event to earn the Officer D.Va skin in Overwatch. Some of us did it. Shortly after that they made the Officer D.Va skina normal loot box skin, obtained the same was as the majority of other skins. Meanwhile those of us who did the event got nothing. I'll just say, after having to play HotS as part of a party, for it to just be made obtainable the normal way, I wasn't too happy.

So yeah, I wouldn't call it good advice to say, "Do it because Blizzard did it."

Edited by Sinmir.6504
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

"a lot of time" => 5 days ...

AFAIK every map allows you to get at least 20 of its currency per day. That would take 13 days for the 250. You can buy 5/day from the elonian trader which brings it down to 10 days.

Kralkatite is even easier since you can get 75 from the hearts per character.

There is also strikes and Eternal Ice trader providing additional options.

I appreciate you zeroing in on the details, its been a long time since ive done it myself.

• Like 1

The only change I would like to see is the ability in Dragonfall only to actually rent a Skyscale for a limited amount of time each day.

This is primarily for the meta. Being new it can be fairly frustrating to learn the patterns and locations if you can't keep up with the squad.

Edited by Oriens.5630
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'd still prefer to do a collection rather than get it for free. Working towards something in this game is one of it's charms and owning something feels rewarding.

Meanwhile WoW mount is given out like a cheap bike someone threw out in a dumpster.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

If you don’t think getting the skyscale is fun, don’t do it. Very simple. 

Such quasi-moralization is a roadblock to progress. In honestly every context, not just the skyscale or game-related things. Every assertion made needs to be backed up with evidence or reasoning to back it up.

You also need to stop stating your opinions as objective facts. Those are your views on things, no problem with that. But there is no "objective superiority" to them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9

19 minutes ago, Valisha.8650 said:

Such quasi-moralization is a roadblock to progress. In honestly every context, not just the skyscale or game-related things. Every assertion made needs to be backed up with evidence or reasoning to back it up.

You also need to stop stating your opinions as objective facts. Those are your views on things, no problem with that. But there is no "objective superiority" to them.

Where exactly did I claim that what I wrote was a fact? I never claimed that. It is pretty obvious that the following is my opinion: 

19 minutes ago, Valisha.8650 said:

20 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

If you don’t think getting the skyscale is fun, don’t do it. Very simple. 

Maybe you didn’t understand what I meant. If you don’t like something, then don’t do it. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/14/2022 at 2:44 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

But people will keep defending it, because they got theirs. I get it, you worked hard, so you're obviously going to think that others should too. You enjoy the reward, which makes you think the journey is worth it. 

Exactly this, now grind your skyscale or play without it (or leave the game if none of the 2 works for you). Either way I don't care but I won't give my own vote to this idea.

Edited by Raizel.1839
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/14/2022 at 1:44 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

I've had enough of the game's reliance on wiki pages to progress. I spend most of my time alt-tabbing because Anet couldn't be bothered to put systems in the game that rewarded exploration or self-sufficiency - you know, like an MMO should. It is much easier to write a wiki page than code! Many of the games mechanics are designed in a way that you could only ever possibly do them (in a reasonable about of time) by looking at a wiki page. There's a crappy designed achievement in New Kaineng called "The History of New Kaineng". You have to go around finding kids to see if they found a book, but you'd never know this in the first place without either randomly stumbling across one of the kids beforehand or by looking at the wiki page - and without the latter it's not even possible to know how many kids hold these books compared to zone planning documents lying around out in the open. Looking at the achievement in the panel there are no hints in game as to what to do, it's just a document number. Of course if you go to a wiki page there's a map, icons, descriptions. Great design there Anet. It is designed to encourage you to alt-tab out and read up on it on the official wiki page, then rinse and repeat. And yet, people gush over this design like Anet is the greatest creator. There's far too many collections and achievements that are designed in this way, taking you out of the game. Not really relevant to what you're saying but, alt-tab wiki reading quest is just that.

As for the Skyscale... I think it should never have been added to the game (shock horror!) so to give it freely to everyone is a bad idea. It is a do-all-be-all mount that nullified the use of other mounts in the majority of maps, and undoes any unique map design because people can just... go over it. New Kaineng... a vertical map - with admittedly poor traversal design - is basically just a big Skyscale hurdle. Ziplines don't go to enough useful places and the preview trail line doesn't show up much of the time. Cue Skyscale. Scale impassable walls with no way around them - repeat, repeat, repeat (I guess this is another case of where a lack of waypoints to justify mount use ruins map feel). Skyscale isn't hard to get. It takes a while because of ArenaNet's content filler time-gating, which is something that they love doing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

I've had enough of the game's reliance on wiki pages to progress. I spend most of my time alt-tabbing because Anet couldn't be bothered to put systems in the game that rewarded exploration or self-sufficiency - you know, like an MMO should. It is much easier to write a wiki page than code! Many of the games mechanics are designed in a way that you could only ever possibly do them (in a reasonable about of time) by looking at a wiki page. There's a crappy designed achievement in New Kaineng called "The History of New Kaineng". You have to go around finding kids to see if they found a book, but you'd never know this in the first place without either randomly stumbling across one of the kids beforehand or by looking at the wiki page - and without the latter it's not even possible to know how many kids hold these books compared to zone planning documents lying around out in the open. Looking at the achievement in the panel there are no hints in game as to what to do, it's just a document number. Of course if you go to a wiki page there's a map, icons, descriptions. Great design there Anet. It is designed to encourage you to alt-tab out and read up on it on the official wiki page, then rinse and repeat. And yet, people gush over this design like Anet is the greatest creator. There's far too many collections and achievements that are designed in this way, taking you out of the game. Not really relevant to what you're saying but, alt-tab wiki reading quest is just that.

As for the Skyscale... I think it should never have been added to the game (shock horror!) so to give it freely to everyone is a bad idea. It is a do-all-be-all mount that nullified the use of other mounts in the majority of maps, and undoes any unique map design because people can just... go over it. New Kaineng... a vertical map - with admittedly poor traversal design - is basically just a big Skyscale hurdle. Ziplines don't go to enough useful places and the preview trail line doesn't show up much of the time. Cue Skyscale. Scale impassable walls with no way around them - repeat, repeat, repeat (I guess this is another case of where a lack of waypoints to justify mount use ruins map feel). Skyscale isn't hard to get. It takes a while because of ArenaNet's content filler time-gating, which is something that they love doing.

The skyscale only seems to be a "do-all-be-all" mount for players who don't use keybinds.  Don't blame the mount because you're too slow to handle swapping on the fly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

The skyscale only seems to be a "do-all-be-all" mount for players who don't use keybinds.  Don't blame the mount because you're too slow to handle swapping on the fly.

Tha'ts a juvenile response, and it's funny because you made a gloriously wrong assumption because I said something you didn't like. I have a full-size keyboard and the numpad keys are 1-9 specifically for mounts, so I swap my mounts a lot and very quickly. However you cannot deny that a Skyscale can largely serve the function of raptor, springer, jackal and to some extent (omitting speed) griffon. Whereas a raptor cannot jump high or fly, a springer cannot fly, a jackal cannot jump high, a griffon cannot scale/climb. It's a do-all-be-all mount because it's quick access (if selected on the bar), can be mounted immediately and serves the function of multiple mounts, whereas the other mounts cannot do what the Skyscale can. Do-all-be-all (or close enough).

• Haha 2
  • Confused 8

7 hours ago, Voltage.8027 said:

I haven't gone the Skycale yet, don't know exactly what I need to do to get it, but I from what I read it might be difficult. I have no problem with this, I don't want it to be too easy.

There is nothing difficult about it. Maybe a bit tedious but these two words do not mean the same thing.

• Like 5