Seriously, it's time to hand us the Skyscale

people always complain, it's like they want everything handed to them on a silver plate. 

They gave skyscale for free, as a lws4 episode. They didn't even mention it as a great feature. 

It has to be made difficult to get to make it more worthy (it's already worthy due to its functions). If they made it easier, then people would complain griffin is too costly. Then beetle shouldn't even require a collection. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm actually glad that there are at list a few things in this game that can be unlocked through dedication and work and not only by your wallet. I don't really care about most weapons and armor pieces and titles you can unlock. I would love to see more stuff like emotes, miniatures, even character skins to be a reward for achievements.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 2:44 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

But people will keep defending it, because they got theirs. I get it, you worked hard, so you're obviously going to think that others should too. You enjoy the reward, which makes you think the journey is worth it. That is flawed thinking.

You use ad hominem arguments by attacking other players who disagree with you. That is flawed thinking.

I think the design of the journey is one of Anet's better designs. Anet has adjusted time gates and there are even options for players to skip content they don't like. I did not "work hard" for it. I think most of the way of the trip was fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Maria Murtor.7253 said:

I'm actually glad that there are at list a few things in this game that can be unlocked through dedication and work and not only by your wallet. I don't really care about most weapons and armor pieces and titles you can unlock. I would love to see more stuff like emotes, miniatures, even character skins to be a reward for achievements.

By all means give us something to work for. But make that something cosmetic-only. Isn't that what people wanted?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7

12 hours ago, Icarus.4507 said:

It's insane to see so many people defending this grotesque series of collections. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome. 

Comparing the collections for a mount you can do in 5 days at a chill pace to Stockholm Syndrome is very far stretched.

God forbid the "ultimate mount" requires any effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 8:48 AM, battledrone.8315 said:

cores problem is, that it is a dead end. if you want to see how a bad mmo performs, look at the slew of failures

like bless and new world.

core has always been populated. and if core was bad, then there wouldnt had been any expansions at all.

While i agree that core isnt bad, especially for its time. getting an expansion doesnt nessecarily mean you arent populated. (for example, outriders is getting an expansion, and we now that that game hasnt made money yet)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yann.1946 said:

Is it that hard to imagine that some people actually like the collection?

I don't like the collection. Some parts are decent. Some parts are awful.

I am not against the game simply giving any particular mount to players but the reason for the change given by OP and others is simply ridiculous. Where do people get the idea that they should be given something just because they don't like the effort it takes to get it?

Even if there was a unanimous agreement that the collections are awful the solution would be to fix the collections not just give the skyscale to everyone. Giving it to everyone would be the lazy fix.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 2:44 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Blizzard straight up ripped the Skyscale and is going to make 10x more than ANet because it's a selling point of their expansion. Meanwhile, ANet makes it a tedious side quest that forces us to minimize the game 100 times in order to use guides that also link to other guides (e.g., Runestone 'puzzle'). That is not good design.

But people will keep defending it, because they got theirs. I get it, you worked hard, so you're obviously going to think that others should too. You enjoy the reward, which makes you think the journey is worth it. That is flawed thinking. Enjoy keeping this MMORPG off the radar.

Man, you gotta work towards it like everyone else.

• Haha 2

eh, I figure if they wanted me to get the SkyScale or Griffon to access some new area of the map, they'd make it easier. It gives the more dedicated players something they feel like they had to earn, and it gives that little jealousy factor to those that don't have it, but want it. If they make it more of a required feature however, then they'll have to make it easier to get, or risk cutting out the majority of players from the content.

I'm personally okay with not having either of them, but I can see why someone would want it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

If they make it more of a required feature however, then they'll have to make it easier to get, or risk cutting out the majority of players from the content.

Majority? According to what data? If anything, it's a very small vocal minority. Of course, saying "small vocal minority" is exactly the same as saying majority unless I have some hard data to prove it. However, apart from the occasional complains about the grind, I hardly ever hear players saying how awful it is overall.

People tends to throw the word majority around a lot on this forum when complaining about something without any proofs whatsoever. A handful of players complaining on forum does not constitute a majority - it is merely a handful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Majority? According to what data? If anything, it's a very small vocal minority. Of course, saying "small vocal minority" is exactly the same as saying majority unless I have some hard data to prove it. However, apart from the occasional complains about the grind, I hardly ever hear players saying how awful it is overall.

People tends to throw the word majority around a lot on this forum when complaining about something without any proofs whatsoever. A handful of players complaining on forum does not constitute a majority - it is merely a handful.

I wasn't meaning to complain or argue, I just assumed that (imo of course), most players are more casual than most dedicated players realize. The Skyscale collection takes a decent amount of dedication to get, it's not something most really casual players would spend the time and effort to get. Hence the word "majority". If you believe that the majority of players have the Skyscale, that's fine too.

I'm not sure, has ANet ever mentioned what percentage of players have a Skyscale?

edit: out of curiosity, I checked and found : https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=riding . it would seem the 37% of players who use gw2efficiency have the skyscale, and I would assume those are the more hardcore players, so I'm more positive now that the majority of players don't have the skyscale.

Edited by DexterousGecko.6328
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I wasn't meaning to complain or argue, I just assumed that (imo of course), most players are more casual than most dedicated players realize. The Skyscale collection takes a decent amount of dedication to get, it's not something most really casual players would spend the time and effort to get. Hence the word "majority". If you believe that the majority of players have the Skyscale, that's fine too.

I'm not sure, has ANet ever mentioned what percentage of players have a Skyscale?

If GW2Efficiency's 36% is anything to trust then more than 25%, which is not bad compared to 48% on Griffon and Beetle on Efficiency.

Seasons of Dragons probably boosted the number of Skyscale unlocks by a notable amount.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

edit: out of curiosity, I checked and found : https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=riding . it would seem the 37% of players who use gw2efficiency have the skyscale, and I would assume those are the more hardcore players, so I'm more positive now that the majority of players don't have the skyscale.

Just to point out that gw2efficiency was created in October 2013 (8 1/2 years ago). Skyscales were introduced in May 2019, almost exactly 3 years ago. Unless deleted, inactive accounts will still show in the statistics. Of the 366,505 players shown, how many of those players were still active after skyscales were introduced? It's possible you're correct but that's banking on a set of data we have little knowledge of how reflective it is to the real percentage.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Haha 1

To add to my post above regarding using the data from gw2efficiency as proof of mount ownerships.

What percentage of current active players would own the most basic of these mounts which are easy to get: Raptor, Springer, Skimmer & Jackal (released Aug 2017 with PoF - aside from Griffon which some may opt not to get because of cost or Skyscale)? I don't know a single level 80 player who has played for a little while who doesn't have them all. Or own most of them. So would the percentage be close to 100%? Or lots less?

Spoiler

Yet gw2efficiency list these percentages:

• Raptor - 83.763%
  • Springer - 77.000%
  • Skimmer - 74.486%
  • Jackal - 68.238 %

16.2% don't have Raptor? 31.7% don't have Jackal? Seriously?

Take into account that these mounts were released almost 5 years ago, and how many people are still active after more than 5 years in the game. So long as all accounts exist on the database, both active and inactive, the data will be thoroughly skewed.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

To add to my post above regarding using the data from gw2efficiency as proof of mount ownerships.

What percentage of current active players would own the most basic of these mounts which are easy to get: Raptor, Springer, Skimmer & Jackal (released Aug 2017 with PoF - aside from Griffon which some may opt not to get because of cost or Skyscale)? I don't know a single level 80 player who has played for a little while who doesn't have them all. Or own most of them. So would the percentage be close to 100%? Or lots less?

Hide contents

Yet gw2efficiency list these percentages:

• Raptor - 83.763%
  • Springer - 77.000%
  • Skimmer - 74.486%
  • Jackal - 68.238 %

16.2% don't have Raptor? 31.7% don't have Jackal? Seriously?

Take into account that these mounts were released almost 5 years ago, and how many people are still active after more than 5 years in the game. So long as all accounts exist on the database, both active and inactive, the data will be thoroughly skewed.

Only 86.49% have PoF so 83.763% having the raptor is not so surprising. That means 96.84% of them has the raptor.

As for Skyscale, 50.448% completed the final instance of War Eternal. So no more than that can have the skyscale.

Newborn Skyscales is at 41.807%

Riding Skyscales is at 36.984%

88.46% of people who started the processed unlocked the skyscale. The percent of people that own all 6 episodes needs to be taken into account but I don't think that can be checked.

Another 3.27% are just missing the currency or gold for the saddle.

• Like 3