Why is Celestial gear so expensive?

9 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

As Cele gear is very niche and only use full on some Wvw Builds, most charged quartz is obtained by random chance. Not by creating them. 

The people creating them probably use them for themselves. 

Atleast that's my guess. 

I have made it for myself but also sell it on the trading post.  Once they reworked some things last year, the prices went up.  Not just for WvW but some pve and open world builds too.  I build up quartz and transmute it, not random.  Easy gold.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Farohna.6247 said:

I have made it for myself but also sell it on the trading post.  Once they reworked some things last year, the prices went up.  Not just for WvW but some pve and open world builds too.  I build up quartz and transmute it, not random.  Easy gold.

Many people have quartz nodes in their home instance and you can get randomly charged quartz from it.

Thats why i think most of the charge quartz comes randomly from nodes

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Many people have quartz nodes in their home instance and you can get randomly charged quartz from it.

Oh true, I do get that randomly from mine. Good point!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

You can craft them for cheaper. It just takes 2 charged quartz per insignia/inscription, but it's time gated.

I hate the crafting in this game though. You make vendor trash all the way up until max level.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

A tip for getting Celestial gear, there's a variety of stat selectable stuff ingame for cheap. Headpiece, buy the ice golem helm box of the TP for around 1g. Shoulders/legs/gloves/boots, buy the bladed armor boxes from the Itzel vendor in Heart of Thorns for Airship parts + 1g (if you've done any fair amount of stuff in Verdant Brink, you'll be swimming in airship parts or have loads of crowbars and can just run around the map opening supply boxes to get the parts quick). Weapons. If you need a celestial pistol, rifle, greatsword, sword, or staff, grab one of the Iron Legion weapons from the TP for a fraction of the cost of a celestial equivalent. Gold Fractal weapons are also stat-seletable, as are the haunted weapons during halloween.

For trinkets, you're honestly best going straight for ascended stuff. A few days of daily fractals (depending on your tier level you're doing) will net you the pristine relics to get the 2 ascended rings. alternately for accessories/backpack and have living story season 3. you can do the winterberry farm at bitterfrost to get 2 rings (attune one of them so you can wear 2 black ice bands) 1 accessory, and a backpack. you can get the other accessory and amulet from other season 3 maps, but I'd recommend if you have Icebrood Saga's Bjora Marches accessible, to go farm eternal ice there to very easily get Aesgirs's Amulet and Talisman for ice + some karma (both are purchasable after doing some fairly simple achievements in the map)

If you're looking at a long-term option to be able to easily make time-gate or otherwise expensive armor of any stat available up to Path of Fire, get yourself all the Lunatic Armor recipes during Halloween (somewhat expensive, but long term savings more than make up for it)  and you'll gain access to crafting stat-selectable exotic armor, which unlike other exotics DOES NOT SOULDBIND to a character. Yep, you can treat it like ascended armor and swap it between characters.

Hope you find this info useful 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Alaia Skyhawk.5064 said:

A tip for getting Celestial gear, there's a variety of stat selectable stuff ingame for cheap. Headpiece, buy the ice golem helm box of the TP for around 1g. Shoulders/legs/gloves/boots, buy the bladed armor boxes from the Itzel vendor in Heart of Thorns for Airship parts + 1g (if you've done any fair amount of stuff in Verdant Brink, you'll be swimming in airship parts or have loads of crowbars and can just run around the map opening supply boxes to get the parts quick). Weapons. If you need a celestial pistol, rifle, greatsword, sword, or staff, grab one of the Iron Legion weapons from the TP for a fraction of the cost of a celestial equivalent. Gold Fractal weapons are also stat-seletable, as are the haunted weapons during halloween.

For trinkets, you're honestly best going straight for ascended stuff. A few days of daily fractals (depending on your tier level you're doing) will net you the pristine relics to get the 2 ascended rings. alternately for accessories/backpack and have living story season 3. you can do the winterberry farm at bitterfrost to get 2 rings (attune one of them so you can wear 2 black ice bands) 1 accessory, and a backpack. you can get the other accessory and amulet from other season 3 maps, but I'd recommend if you have Icebrood Saga's Bjora Marches accessible, to go farm eternal ice there to very easily get Aesgirs's Amulet and Talisman for ice + some karma (both are purchasable after doing some fairly simple achievements in the map)

If you're looking at a long-term option to be able to easily make time-gate or otherwise expensive armor of any stat available up to Path of Fire, get yourself all the Lunatic Armor recipes during Halloween (somewhat expensive, but long term savings more than make up for it)  and you'll gain access to crafting stat-selectable exotic armor, which unlike other exotics DOES NOT SOULDBIND to a character. Yep, you can treat it like ascended armor and swap it between characters.

Hope you find this info useful 😄

Hey, you are ruining my Celestial money-making scheme! Good thing 90% of players do not read the forums. 🙂 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Hm, I think a bit comes from festivals too - they're a random drop from ToT bags/Wintersday gifts/Dragon Coffers. I usually find that I get 20-30 each time.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Alaia Skyhawk.5064 said:

or just stick with VB

If you do that then gloves are basically free as well. I have 107 glove boxes sitting in my bank and that is after salvaging at least 100 of them just to get rid of Black Lion Salvage kits...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You can craft stat-select gear too via Warbeast. Depending on your charged quartz situation, it can be the much cheaper option to craft. 

PS - I have a quartz node in my home instance that I farm every day and I can pretty much count on one hand the number of times it has dropped a charged quartz. 

Edited by DragonMoon.6098
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Some new player on ele complained about mobs in tangled depths, during my meta run today. Aside from the players doing the meta being the usual "top end players" (git gud scrub, etc.), the suggestions were "just go cele ele" which was mirroring my thoughts.

Then I looked up the cele prices, remembering this thread. And woah, really funny, I thought trailblazer was bad. If you want to run cele you apparently must spend like 150-200g just on the essentials. I had no idea the lvl 80 character boost was such a p2w feature...

Since the new player mentioned they'll try condi/toughness/vit gear, I crafted cele armor/hammer/accessories for them (I got charged quartz for days, after the skyscale fiasco I went through some years ago).

Its just insane to me that exotic gear can cost so much. Especially considering cele is by far the best gear for a new solo player going through open world and story. Not only 80% and upward of all the build options are noob traps, but so is gear. Reminds me of other f2p games that have been around for a while and have accumulated so many changes that almost nothing is good/viable.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 5/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

As Cele gear is very niche and only use full on some Wvw Builds, most charged quartz is obtained by random chance. Not by creating them. 

The people creating them probably use them for themselves. 

Atleast that's my guess. 

On 5/14/2022 at 10:15 AM, Tiamat.8254 said:

I create charged quartz every day in home instance

I do enough quartz farming that I'm also able to create a charged quartz every day in my home instance. Then, every ten days I make and sell a grow lamp. The quartz node in my home instance does indeed drop charged quartz but at a very low rate. I haven't kept an accurate count but I don't think it drops more than 2-3 charged quartz a month. People can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

I do enough quartz farming that I'm also able to create a charged quartz every day in my home instance. Then, every ten days I make and sell a grow lamp. The quartz node in my home instance does indeed drop charged quartz but at a very low rate. I haven't kept an accurate count but I don't think it drops more than 2-3 charged quartz a month. People can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

But how many people go out of their way to create a charged one? I don't think it's that many. 

I still believe that the majority of charged quartz in game are from random drops. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1