Jump to content
  • Sign Up

New ideas for new characters and rant about the current ones, all willing to debate are welcome


Recommended Posts

I have been thinking about the current progress in the lore since the fall of Zhaitan and I think it's coming short. Most of the characters remain the same and they are starting to age their stay. Not to mention their stories are mainly irrelevant and forgettable in my opinion. Marjory and Kasmeer are overused; Braham is a dumb nord stereotype; Rox is normal but she is barely mentioned and mainly ignored; Taimi does not have enough backstory and that bothers me given she has so many lines and annoys the crap out of me; I had started to like Gorrik and his story but the recent events just makes him annoying and he comes off again as a unethical living experiment addict; Snargle Goldclaw's entire existence is to be a disgusting porn addict joke and it's not even funny; at least they got rid of Faren (don't jinx it he is useless and not funny); and everyone else is dead. My point is that its time to either kill off the entire cast again and replace them or time to archive them to the old asset files (ironically the mists). The Cantha region looks Great and I applaud the enviroment artists, but the old outdated lore seeps through and it doesn't help that most mobs are just re-skins of old assets. Same old vandals vs. acolytes... AGAIN (This is an overused and tiring ideology in A LOT of modern videogames). Arborstone... another ruin like Sun's refuge? Really? It's like the only default Guild Hall and meeting hub just HAS to be a dusty old ruin or cave (It's true!), with exemption from the the new mayor cities Keineng and Amnoon and Cement's Arch (I mean Lion's Arch). The villains are not creative and they are not given any personality unlike in other videogames where their motives are actually reflected upon or mourned, in fact the Dragon's Watch 'heroes' have more potential as villains than heroes especially with their respective racial lore everyone already haves(this is debatable).

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah can't say I agree with any of this, Snargle is great, I like Taimi and Gorrik a lot, wouldn't say Jory and Kas are overused and Rox is kind of eh bland I suppose. Just killing off the whole cast is dumb, also Faren -is- funny. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Nah can't say I agree with any of this, Snargle is great, I like Taimi and Gorrik a lot, wouldn't say Jory and Kas are overused and Rox is kind of eh bland I suppose. Just killing off the whole cast is dumb, also Faren -is- funny. 

Mostly agree, I greatly dislike this idea OP and others like them have of just wiping out the entire cast for new characters as if that's at all going to fix what is primarily a WRITING problem.  If the current crop of characters are bad to you, you're not going to magically get better written characters just by replacing them if its the same people writing them as before.  And I do happen to still like many of the current crop in spite of the diminishing returns and have no desire to see any of them killed off for such a terrible reason, especially Rytlock, Caithe, Canach, and Taimi.  Doing so would be the final straw for me.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

Braham is a dumb nord stereotype; 

Can't wait for Edge of the Mists story to return to showcase how Braham was perfectly capable of understanding asuran technobabble in seconds by relating it to things he knew while Marjory was left completely stumped and clueless (as was Eir in Edge of Destiny).

Braham is far from dumb, despite this idea being perpetuated across the playerbase (and dev community from S4 onward). Incidentally, his Season 3 actions actually put him against norn cultural standards.

Eir was the stereotypical norn, who sought the glory of death in battle during Honor of the Waves and couldn't understand fancy wording no matter how it was explained. Braham was the non-stereotypical norn.

And yet, it is Braham who gets treated like the stereotype... Ironic.

18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

Rox is normal but she is barely mentioned and mainly ignored;

It's kinda humorous that Tom Abernathy, who proclaimed character was more important than story or lore, didn't bother exploring the most interesting facet of Rox's story - that she was a Blood Legion spy.

18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

Taimi does not have enough backstory and that bothers me given she has so many lines and annoys the crap out of me;

She joined the story at 13. Her backstory was "orphaned prodigal asura under Zojja's care attending a college she didn't like because it was Zojja's college" because before the story, her entire life was simply living in an orphanage or attending school because she was a child. This isn't a Japanese manga where the main characters go through world threatening events at the age of 9 while looking like they're 17.

Season 1 to HoT is her backstory.

18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

Snargle Goldclaw's entire existence is to be a disgusting porn addict joke and it's not even funny;

Finally someone who agrees with me. Well, minus the 'disgusting' part. Thankfully he's just a side character and, I hope to the Six, he'll not play a major role ever.

18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

at least they got rid of Faren (don't jinx it he is useless and not funny);

Lord Faren is Mister E though. The best spymaster all around.
L+F=E

18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

and everyone else is dead.

Canach. Rytlock. Logan. Caithe. Zojja, technically. Zafirah. Rama.

18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

My point is that its time to either kill off the entire cast again and replace them or time to archive them to the old asset files (ironically the mists).

You don't have to kill characters to retire them... Which would be a very stupid and jarring move (not to mention a horribly permanent act). Besides, if you played through End of Dragons, it's pretty clear that (almost) everyone's retiring from the adventuring life.

Rytlock is stuck in paperwork. Logan has received crippling injuries. Canach is turning to business expendatures. Braham is suffering PTSD. Rox has a new boyfriend in the Olmakhan. Kasmeer is an official government employee.

We might get more Gorrik and Marjory via the Marjory and Friends Detective Agency Not Calling It That (aka FDA), but I wouldn't count on very much of it, I imagine they'll take more of a roll like Caithe and Logan had in S4->EoD. There occasionally. Same with Canach who's "looking for something new" and Rytlock who's wanting a way out of paperwork.

But Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch were formed specifically for the Elder Dragon threat, which is no more. The guild is effectively disbanded, and the heroes going their own separate ways.

 

And that's what should happen. Old heroes go their own way, new threat pops up, new heroes step up and sometimes - only sometimes - the old heroes show up again. This is what happened with the transition from Destiny's Edge to Dragon's Watch. Though this transition happened because of voice actor concerns, so Destiny's Edge was moved out of the spotlight pretty quick until a slower rate of content release became a thing and they could get Steve Blum and Troy Baker regularly for returns. But I imagine that after season 6, we'll see Dragon's Watch basically take the role of Destiny's Edge. One or two frequent characters, one or two infrequent characters, and the rest just fade into obscurity.

18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

Arborstone... another ruin like Sun's refuge? Really? It's like the only default Guild Hall and meeting hub just HAS to be a dusty old ruin or cave (It's true!),

It's just constant nostalgia catering.

18 hours ago, Ismari.1327 said:

The villains are not creative and they are not given any personality unlike in other videogames where their motives are actually reflected upon or mourned, in fact the Dragon's Watch 'heroes' have more potential as villains than heroes especially with their respective racial lore everyone already haves(this is debatable).

Many would disagree in regards to the S4 and later villains. Joko, Bangar, Jormag, and Ankka in particular - at least Jormag before Champions cut short for EoD development.

There is still room to be desired of course.

12 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Nah can't say I agree with any of this, Snargle is great, I like Taimi and Gorrik a lot, wouldn't say Jory and Kas are overused and Rox is kind of eh bland I suppose. Just killing off the whole cast is dumb, also Faren -is- funny. 

Snargle is just a perpetual dirty joke character. He was funny the first few times, but became very unfunny after.

 

  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Can't wait for Edge of the Mists story to return to showcase how Braham was perfectly capable of understanding asuran technobabble in seconds by relating it to things he knew while Marjory was left completely stumped and clueless (as was Eir in Edge of Destiny).

Braham is far from dumb, despite this idea being perpetuated across the playerbase (and dev community from S4 onward). Incidentally, his Season 3 actions actually put him against norn cultural standards.

Eir was the stereotypical norn, who sought the glory of death in battle during Honor of the Waves and couldn't understand fancy wording no matter how it was explained. Braham was the non-stereotypical norn.

And yet, it is Braham who gets treated like the stereotype... Ironic.

It's kinda humorous that Tom Abernathy, who proclaimed character was more important than story or lore, didn't bother exploring the most interesting facet of Rox's story - that she was a Blood Legion spy.

She joined the story at 13. Her backstory was "orphaned prodigal asura under Zojja's care attending a college she didn't like because it was Zojja's college" because before the story, her entire life was simply living in an orphanage or attending school because she was a child. This isn't a Japanese manga where the main characters go through world threatening events at the age of 9 while looking like they're 17.

Season 1 to HoT is her backstory.

Finally someone who agrees with me. Well, minus the 'disgusting' part. Thankfully he's just a side character and, I hope to the Six, he'll not play a major role ever.

Lord Faren is Mister E though. The best spymaster all around.
L+F=E

Canach. Rytlock. Logan. Caithe. Zojja, technically. Zafirah. Rama.

You don't have to kill characters to retire them... Which would be a very stupid and jarring move (not to mention a horribly permanent act). Besides, if you played through End of Dragons, it's pretty clear that (almost) everyone's retiring from the adventuring life.

Rytlock is stuck in paperwork. Logan has received crippling injuries. Canach is turning to business expendatures. Braham is suffering PTSD. Rox has a new boyfriend in the Olmakhan. Kasmeer is an official government employee.

We might get more Gorrik and Marjory via the Marjory and Friends Detective Agency Not Calling It That (aka FDA), but I wouldn't count on very much of it, I imagine they'll take more of a roll like Caithe and Logan had in S4->EoD. There occasionally. Same with Canach who's "looking for something new" and Rytlock who's wanting a way out of paperwork.

But Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch were formed specifically for the Elder Dragon threat, which is no more. The guild is effectively disbanded, and the heroes going their own separate ways.

 

And that's what should happen. Old heroes go their own way, new threat pops up, new heroes step up and sometimes - only sometimes - the old heroes show up again. This is what happened with the transition from Destiny's Edge to Dragon's Watch. Though this transition happened because of voice actor concerns, so Destiny's Edge was moved out of the spotlight pretty quick until a slower rate of content release became a thing and they could get Steve Blum and Troy Baker regularly for returns. But I imagine that after season 6, we'll see Dragon's Watch basically take the role of Destiny's Edge. One or two frequent characters, one or two infrequent characters, and the rest just fade into obscurity.

It's just constant nostalgia catering.

Many would disagree in regards to the S4 and later villains. Joko, Bangar, Jormag, and Ankka in particular - at least Jormag before Champions cut short for EoD development.

There is still room to be desired of course.

Snargle is just a perpetual dirty joke character. He was funny the first few times, but became very unfunny after.

 

Humor is largely subjective, I still find him funny. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Humor is largely subjective, I still find him funny. 

To be fair as well, Snargle in EoD is explicitly a case of him learning and growing. At the end of all his related quests, the Tengu novelist who started him on the path comments how he's actually improved and changed. They went from "Ugh, that idiot kitten." to "He's improved a lot actually."

3 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Can't wait for Edge of the Mists story to return to showcase how Braham was perfectly capable of understanding asuran technobabble in seconds by relating it to things he knew while Marjory was left completely stumped and clueless (as was Eir in Edge of Destiny).

Braham is far from dumb, despite this idea being perpetuated across the playerbase (and dev community from S4 onward). Incidentally, his Season 3 actions actually put him against norn cultural standards.

Eir was the stereotypical norn, who sought the glory of death in battle during Honor of the Waves and couldn't understand fancy wording no matter how it was explained. Braham was the non-stereotypical norn.

And yet, it is Braham who gets treated like the stereotype... Ironic.

Quote
Braham: So, uh, in case you were wondering... Joko was wrong.
<Character name>: About me being a villain?
Braham: E-P-I-D-E-M-I-C. Ka-BRAHAM!

Course, Braham actively hung out with Taimi and listened to her/helped her out when he could, so he probably caught on to stuff due to being a younger Norn when he first started dealing with them.

Then again, most people just slap him with a worse treatment of Trahearne, "I hate this character and thus will never like him" and it colors their views of him. He had rough parts, but he's young and the roughest part was him lashing out in a reasonable way after brooding on his mother's death, linking Eir's death to the Commander's waiting (reasonable, though wrong) and latching onto a chance for something that'd make his legend and Eir's legend immortal.

I've outright said to some people who grumble about Braham to me (that stopped playing a loooooong while back, before path of fire) that "Braham had a rough spot, but he's still young, and he got better."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Course, Braham actively hung out with Taimi and listened to her/helped her out when he could, so he probably caught on to stuff due to being a younger Norn when he first started dealing with them.

Braham caught on to stuff from the beginning though. To take the first real discussions between Braham and Taimi:

Quote

Braham Eirsson: What'd you learn about those...um...things you were studying before your golem broke?

Taimi: As if you'd understand. All right, I've got nothing but time, so let's give it a go.

Taimi: They appear to be survey probes for the purpose of identifying high-energy thaumic channels and matrices.

Braham Eirsson: So it's like magical energy is a swirling storm and these things are mapping it.

Taimi: A trifle simplistic, but yes, that's exactly the case.

 

Braham Eirsson: Tell me more about the probes you examined.

Taimi: They're well designed. They emit pulsed eldritch waves that register the relative strength of all local ambient magic.

Braham Eirsson: Like the way bats hunt? They let out a chirp and react to what that chirp bounces off of.

Taimi: Right again. I am clearly a good influence on you.

Meanwhile Marjory, couldn't even consider using her very own anti-toxin spray to get through a tiny vine barrier, and needed us to solve every conclusion when investigating Scarlet's past actions...

🤦‍♂️

It's pretty much a misconception that Braham was stupid and that seemed to be firmly stuck in the playerbase's mentality, and worse devs, from S4 onward. Which is indeed after the "I hate this character and thus will never like him" exposure, but ironically it's the players/devs who like dev that call him a "big lovable idiot"....

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Braham caught on to stuff from the beginning though. To take the first real discussions between Braham and Taimi:

It's pretty much a misconception that Braham was stupid and that seemed to be firmly stuck in the playerbase's mentality, and worse devs, from S4 onward. Which is indeed after the "I hate this character and thus will never like him" exposure, but ironically it's the players/devs who like dev that call him a "big lovable idiot"....

Huh, had forgotten about that quoted dialogue. Then again it's been literal years lol!

Braham is a simple guy, but he ain't stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Huh, had forgotten about that quoted dialogue. Then again it's been literal years lol!

Braham is a simple guy, but he ain't stupid.

Part of why I really hope they don't cut out those dialogues from the Season 1 returns. It's a piece of characterization for both Braham and Taimi and Taimi gets so little screentime due to her late introduction.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I’ve always read Braham as “sullen teen” rather than “dumb Norn”.

I really like Gorrik. He’s an interesting nerd, unlike our other “I’ve got an idea I’m not going to tell you about until I confirm my hypothesis but we all know it’s going to magically overcome whatever we’re currently struggling with” Mary Sue nerd.

Marjory was awesome for the 2.6 seconds she lasted as a Film Noir gumshoe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2022 at 12:07 PM, Kalavier.1097 said:

Huh, had forgotten about that quoted dialogue. Then again it's been literal years lol!

Braham is a simple guy, but he ain't stupid.

Braham puts things in layman's terms, instead of the technobabble that Asurans prefer to be condescending with.   It's easily mistaken as being dumb, even the spirits make fun of his intellect.  Also his bubble is useful and he doesn't die every five seconds in personal story lol.  

I don't want the main characters to die.  Just rotate them around, put some of the most frequently overused ones , *cough* Taimi , into the background for a bit.  Braham is recovering post-IBS, Kas is doing diplomatic functions, etc.  They've set it up for some to join, some come back more, and some to be shelved for a bit...and it's a good thing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2022 at 8:31 AM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Braham is far from dumb, despite this idea being perpetuated across the playerbase (and dev community from S4 onward). Incidentally, his Season 3 actions actually put him against norn cultural standards.

I think it's a problem of perception in general that happens to affect Braham too, of people thinking that if someone is impulsive and brash, then they must be lacking in intelligence. Like the jock archetype. But real people aren't archetypes and I've never gotten the impression Braham is like a simplistic archetype, but instead actually does have some depth to him as you touched on in your post. So I think it's just people seeing the archetype and ignoring the nuance. What impulsive and brash implies is a lack of caution and deliberation, and caution and deliberation is sometimes associated with intelligence in kind of an elitist way, but it's kinda BS. I can attest as someone who is regularly so obsessed with not wanting to get things wrong that I can deliberate into missing the opportunity to do anything. In short, you can waste time running off and you can waste time standing still. There's no hard and fast rule to it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as the current writing staff or direction remain in place changing characters will not matter much. There has to be a willingness on the part of the studio to engage with their characters beyond cliche, stereotype, shallow heartstring tugs, and personal fetish in order to have them play a meaningful part in telling a good story. The best stories are not about what crazy things happen to you, but rather who you go through that crazy situation with, and how.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On today’s post of people, we give you a poster complaining about... *squints at notes*... hey, is this right? Seems like overkill for one slot.  Okay, okay 

 

Apparently I AM reading this right folks, today’s complaint is about.. everything. Every character sucks it turns out, ruins are bad, the environment is brought down by using old lore instead of throwing everything out.  Makes ya wonder why this fellow is even here if he hates the game so much, right?

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, Fenom.9457 said:

On today’s post of people, we give you a poster complaining about... *squints at notes*... hey, is this right? Seems like overkill for one slot.  Okay, okay 

 

Apparently I AM reading this right folks, today’s complaint is about.. everything. Every character sucks it turns out, ruins are bad, the environment is brought down by using old lore instead of throwing everything out.  Makes ya wonder why this fellow is even here if he hates the game so much, right?

And without a single paragraph break, to boot.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2022 at 7:19 PM, Ismari.1327 said:

I have been thinking about the current progress in the lore since the fall of Zhaitan and I think it's coming short. Most of the characters remain the same and they are starting to age their stay. Not to mention their stories are mainly irrelevant and forgettable in my opinion. Marjory and Kasmeer are overused; Braham is a dumb nord stereotype; Rox is normal but she is barely mentioned and mainly ignored; Taimi does not have enough backstory and that bothers me given she has so many lines and annoys the crap out of me; I had started to like Gorrik and his story but the recent events just makes him annoying and he comes off again as a unethical living experiment addict; Snargle Goldclaw's entire existence is to be a disgusting porn addict joke and it's not even funny; at least they got rid of Faren (don't jinx it he is useless and not funny); and everyone else is dead. My point is that its time to either kill off the entire cast again and replace them or time to archive them to the old asset files (ironically the mists). The Cantha region looks Great and I applaud the enviroment artists, but the old outdated lore seeps through and it doesn't help that most mobs are just re-skins of old assets. Same old vandals vs. acolytes... AGAIN (This is an overused and tiring ideology in A LOT of modern videogames). Arborstone... another ruin like Sun's refuge? Really? It's like the only default Guild Hall and meeting hub just HAS to be a dusty old ruin or cave (It's true!), with exemption from the the new mayor cities Keineng and Amnoon and Cement's Arch (I mean Lion's Arch). The villains are not creative and they are not given any personality unlike in other videogames where their motives are actually reflected upon or mourned, in fact the Dragon's Watch 'heroes' have more potential as villains than heroes especially with their respective racial lore everyone already haves(this is debatable).

Paragraphs.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kasmeer and Marjory are not overused; if anything, they are under-explored relative to their amount of screen time. It seems to me their relationship started with Marjory being dominant, the strong one, or however you wish to describe it. But as Kasmeer has matured and become more confident and independent over the course of events, Marjory's  dominance has lessened and they're still figuring out their changed dynamics. I'd like to see more exploration of their relationship and how they manage to stick together despite their troubles, instead of just the "It's fine...really" hints we keep getting.

Braham is Braham. He is so polarizing that I won't even talk about him.

Taimi is actually one of the game's most complex characters. Beneath her Asura arrogance and brilliance, she is fundamentally a teenage girl (she was born in 1313, was 13yo in LS1, now 22yo in EoD) who has been too busy helping save the world to really deal with growing up. As such, she is baffled by her budding feelings for Gorrik, among other issues. Add in the complications of staring down a lethal disease at a young age with way too much left to do in her life, and you understand why Taimi practically radiates urgency about everything she does (except taking care of herself). All in all, she is one of the better characters in the cast, though I do often wish Anet would turn her volume down a notch.

Gorrik is simply a dork. He is obsessively brilliant but socially clueless. He is fundamentally a good person, but harbors a dangerous amount of unprocessed emotions from his time with the Inquest, losing his brother, Annka, and feelings for Taimi. He would love nothing more than to be alone in his lab studying bugs instead of chasing Elder Dragons, dealing with personal feelings, and all that other complicated stuff, but must reluctantly play the cards life has dealt him. I know people exactly like Gorrik and even see some of myself in him, which to me makes him a perfect character, and I hope Anet keeps him around and develops him further.

Rox hasn't yet finished her arc. She started as a gladium with a still-undefined relationship with Rytlock, developed through events and her friendship with Braham, and found her true self with the Olmakhan outside the rigid structure of the Legions, so there are still many loose threads to be explored with her. One being the evolution of the Legions post-IBS; lessons about family from both the Olmakhan and Ryland's tragedy should definitely be felt in Charr society, and Anet would be criminally stupid to not follow that up.

Snargle is  awesome. He lampoons so many things all at once, yet is completely serious about it. I hope Anet keeps him around. In fact, I think a bookcase with all his books that we find would be a great home instance item.

Blish and Mai Trin both had potential to be two of the best characters in our story. But both were needlessly killed off by bad writers, so I won't speak of them further.

Edited by Jimbru.6014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimbru.6014 said:

 

Snargle is  awesome. He lampoons so many things all at once, yet is completely serious about it. I hope Anet keeps him around. In fact, I think a bookcase with all his books that we find would be a great home instance item.

 

 

I doubt Anet will ever remove Snargle since he is the side character they introduced to be that one guy who is pioneering the porn industry in the GW2 world. He literally embodies the Rule 34 jokes and making his own Rule 34 contents in the GW2 world. 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimbru.6014 said:

 

Blish and Mai Trin both had potential to be two of the best characters in our story. But both were needlessly killed off by bad writers, so I won't speak of them further.

I so wish we could have seen things play out with Mai Trin. She had a great potential story in her desire to be better but no way to make up for her past. She also had a great potential story in dealing with her Faustian bargain with the shadow of Scarlet.

Since they killed her off for very little story impact, I'd really like them to explore the latter with a revenant at some point. What does it mean to channel the power of a villain at the price of having them talk to you in your head? In some variations of Tyria, the commander themself is running around in a constant conversation with Mallyx or Shiro!

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do what I do when playing through the story. I just put it on mute and run through the game. All the characters I ever cared about existed in the core game. For me, all the later characters that were introduced were one dimensional and boring. Any guesses for upcoming characters?

Hint: they will all be just like the old ones. Noncontroversial and politically correct or have like a redeeming arc. 

 Its the direction the studio has gone for and most of the player base accepts it. If FF didn't have a sub fee, I would definitely switch over. Its the only MMO with a coherent and believable story. 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate Fred Tatasciore's acting more than anything else when it comes to Snargle. Initially it was purely about formally introducing smut into our experience of Tyria, but I appreciate that EoD exposed us to his struggles with publishing, Bonnie's ascendance, etc. All the same, if they dropped him entirely, I wouldn't miss him.

I agree with the several other folks who've already mentioned that many of the characters are being set up to fade into quiet retirement, leaving open the possibility of a cameo here and there. That clearly seems like the direction ANet is taking, and I like it. Death isn't the only way out for a hero (or the hero's friends).

I personally would like to get more about Captain (now, temporary Minister of Security) Min. I feel like she might have some work available for the Friends Detective Agency (we are calling it that), and also a wealth of embarrassing stories about Rama.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing I somewhat agree with on that is Snargle but as has been pointed out he's an extremely minor side character and therefore unimportant.

 

I can still appreciate a good lewd joke despite my general real world distaste for the kind of thing Snargle does for a living but if you're going to go for that then just go all in on it lol

Understandable why you obviously would never see that in a game like Gw2 and that brings me to what I dislike mostly about him... it's the PGness that I can't stand about this character.

 

Sleazy characters like Snargle just feel so out of place in a game like this..

Lewd/rude humour is funny specifically because of it's inappropriateness, shock value and generally because it's obscene and vulgar.

So putting any kind of PGness on it just defies the point.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, Teratus.2859 said:

Only thing I somewhat agree with on that is Snargle but as has been pointed out he's an extremely minor side character and therefore unimportant.

 

I can still appreciate a good lewd joke despite my general real world distaste for the kind of thing Snargle does for a living but if you're going to go for that then just go all in on it lol

Understandable why you obviously would never see that in a game like Gw2 and that brings me to what I dislike mostly about him... it's the PGness that I can't stand about this character.

 

Sleazy characters like Snargle just feel so out of place in a game like this..

Lewd/rude humour is funny specifically because of it's inappropriateness, shock value and generally because it's obscene and vulgar.

So putting any kind of PGness on it just defies the point.


But it's perfectly PG OK for a closeup of Smodur sticking a knife through Cinder's throat, and then Ryland headshooting Smodur?

Seriously, if you're gonna get your panties in a bunch about dirty jokes, how about getting upset about all the other PG stuff in the game too. Starting with all the gratuitous skin showing on female humans, just for example. 🙄

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimbru.6014 said:


But it's perfectly PG OK for a closeup of Smodur sticking a knife through Cinder's throat, and then Ryland headshooting Smodur?

Seriously, if you're gonna get your panties in a bunch about dirty jokes, how about getting upset about all the other PG stuff in the game too. Starting with all the gratuitous skin showing on female humans, just for example. 🙄

Its gratuitous when human females show skin but not norn males?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...