Would you be interested in pre-made normalized classes for SPvP the same way we have pre-made normalized equipment attributes in SPvP?

I have been looking through class builds, traits, skills and metas.  And I got to thinking.  It would be a decent challenge to balance all those traits, skills etc.

What would you think about in terms of pre-made normalized classes?  In the same way SPvP has equipment attributes that are pre-made and pre-determined.  What about classes that would be pre-made and structured in certain ways?  As long as they were balanced against each other, what would you think about that?

It might even help with something like matchmaking too, to make sure there are equal skills and make ups.  Maybe someone could earn a certain rank with a class and so we know they would be relatively skilled with it.  And then we could make sure others were equal ranked too in terms of their class and skill.

Just curious and thinking, don't flame me too much!  Thanks!

• Confused 1

Nope. Build freedom - as limited as it is in spvp - is what I like about this game. As others mentioned already, I prefer the freedom to try different things over strict balance. The most balanced pvp we have in this game is Dragon Ball, during the Lunar New Year event. Fun for short bursts, but not everyone's cup of tea. It certainly makes no use of GW2's greatest system strength.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

Nope. Build freedom - as limited as it is in spvp - is what I like about this game. As others mentioned already, I prefer the freedom to try different things over strict balance. The most balanced pvp we have in this game is Dragon Ball, during the Lunar New Year event. Fun for short bursts, but not everyone's cup of tea. It certainly makes no use of GW2's greatest system strength.

No that is a completely fair point!  Just throwing it out there.  Maybe as someone else mentioned above, could even be a certain mode of SPvP, not completely replace it per say.  

• Confused 1

On 5/14/2022 at 3:22 PM, ovenglove.9528 said:

For me personally I don't even want perfect balance, I want the meta to be shaken up more often. I like trying to find new builds, and the novelty of fighting new builds.  

this, give me build wars, keep it fresh, patch weekly like LoL

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Then I would want to be able to switch to different pre mades mid game. Like how overwatch is. You choose support you have a pick of different supports to choose from mid game, and so on.

Yeah that sounds reasonable.  I think the idea being they are pre-made, so balanced against others, but you can have a few options for a support, attack etc.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, MuscleBobBuffPants.1406 said:

Yeah that sounds reasonable.  I think the idea being they are pre-made, so balanced against others, but you can have a few options for a support, attack etc.  

Doing something like this would make for an easier balancing possibly aswell?

• Like 1

We do have that on some occasions. I like the seasonal events like wintersday fight or the bazaar where they have premade builds. It is hard to tell how “balanced” they are for competitive and it works because they create special professions / special skills. I would hate having my profession identity removed for PvP.

I am not totally opposed to this idea. It has some positive. It would make the game easier to balance (maybe), easier learn and practice for new players, even allow some role queue making team compositions feel less random. However I wonder what will open new builds, how the utilities combinations are found out and this part scares me a lot.

My main issue would be that the all game (PVE / WVW) is made with the idea that you can choose traits, weapon and utilities combination and now sPvp is the odd one out. Even in sPvp, while I use the same build 95% of the time there are some moments where I like to slot some extra condi clear, or even remove them to add toughness because the enemy comp seems like it would favor those changes. It always is a gamble (a spec can have multiple builds) and I often am too lazy to do it but adds some satisfaction when I am right.

Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, aymnad.9023 said:

We do have that on some occasions. I like the seasonal events like wintersday fight or the bazaar where they have premade builds. It is hard to tell how “balanced” they are for competitive and it works because they create special professions / special skills. I would hate having my profession identity removed for PvP.

I am not totally opposed to this idea. It has some positive. It would make the game easier to balance (maybe), easier learn and practice for new players, even allow some role queue making team compositions feel less random. However I wonder what will open new builds, how the utilities combinations are found out and this part scares me a lot.

My main issue would be that the all game (PVE / WVW) is made with the idea that you can choose traits, weapon and utilities combination and now sPvp is the odd one out. Even in sPvp, while I use the same build 95% of the time there are some moments where I like to slot some extra condi clear, or even remove them to add toughness because the enemy comp seems like it would favor those changes. It always is a gamble (a spec can have multiple builds) and I often am too lazy to do it but adds some satisfaction when I am right.

Great post!  Well thought out!

Yeah and this is just a VERY rough idea, we could iron it out more over time.  I am thinking back to the days when I played Magic the Gathering, in tournaments they allowed you to have some swabble cards on the side to, in order to tweak your deck, you could have customizable, swappable slots and skills.  But kind of in the same way in Magic tournaments, certain cards where not usable because they were just too powerful or they just limited the cards to 2 in a deck, you couldn't have the full 4.  Something like that.

But yeah good ideas!  Yeah my main goal is really focused on skill balance players (newbies and veterans) , role/class balance in group matches and finally balance between classes. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Doing something like this would make for an easier balancing possibly aswell?

Yeah that is primarily my goal with something like this!  My main goal is really focused on skill balance players (newbies and veterans) , role/class balance in group matches and finally balance between classes. 

• Confused 1