ANet. Will you please hire some new armor designers.

39 minutes ago, Faccina.5091 said:

they should at least let us mix light/medium/heavy

and no i dont belive that "impossibiru cuz the mesh is cut differently" because theres some that looks exaclty the same on all 3 weight like the metal legion shirt, abbandon mask, etc...

Except there are plenty where the buttcape is attached to the torso on medium but attached to the pants on light.

Do you know what would happen if someone wore two buttcapes?

You threaten the space-time continuum with your wild discarding of sartorial restraint!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

I will agree that the armors made from HoT onwards are over-designed. Many outfits are also over-designed. Too many protrusions. More armor with patterns that fully use the premium dyes would be nice. Engraved heavy armor. Inlayed heavy armor. Light armor that appears to have embroidery. leather armor can be etched as well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

But in-game armours have to be ugly and weird looking.  You are supposed to spend money to buy gem store skins to make them look good. Am I right? hmm?

And gem store armour skins, not outfits, used to sell for like 800 gems per set of 6 pieces of armours. Now? 400 gems to 800 gems per piece, so one full set can cost up to 3200 gems 😑

Edited by Mil.3562
Sorry I have digressed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

35 minutes ago, Mil.3562 said:

But in-game armours have to be ugly and weird looking.  You are supposed to spend money to buy gem store skins to make them look good. Am I right? hmm?

And gem store armour skins, not outfits, used to sell for like 800 gems per set of 6 pieces of armours. Now? 400 gems to 800 gems per piece, so one full set can cost up to 3200 gems 😑

Whether someone likes or dislikes an armor look is totally subjective.  For instance, 95% of the paid-for looks for sale in the store look too ornate, baroque, etc. for my tastes.  So, I build my looks from a mix of the 5% and the approximately 10-15% of in-game looks I like.  This means I sometimes use the same pieces on multiple characters, distinguishing them by the mix of pieces and the dye job.

As far as the second point, a lot of the original 800-gem sets were made before launch.  Whether they were out-takes for in-game sets, or intended for sale from the start, I don't know.   What I do know is that sets produced prior to launch were part of the overall effort to develop the game.  You can see the same thing in expansions.  In-game armor sets come with each one, and the cost of producing those sets is going to be a part of the cost to produce the expansion.

So, 800 gems may have looked like a good price point at launch when the game's population looked to be very robust.  That same price point may not now look so rosy with a lower population, with the demonstrated finicky nature of consumers for cosmetics.  Also, the cost in artist time to produce such armor pieces is not being absorbed by the budget for the original game or an expansion.

That said, I'm not saying don't complain.  If you want ANet to change, you have to let them know why you are unhappy.  You also have to make the point financially, by not buying stuff that costs too much in your opinion.  The unfortunate part of the situation is that ANet is not going to care whether a few individuals think stuff costs too much.  No company would.

That ANet is now pricing individual pieces as they do is a function of a market factor called what the market will bear.  If people weren't buying them, they'd either reduce the cost or stop producing them.  So, influencing change in prices is a factor of mass rejection of those prices by consumers.

Edited by IndigoSundown.5419
Grr posted early due to fat-fingers.
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mil.3562 said:

You’re not right as personal taste varies. I don’t like most of the gem store armor skins and outfits. I prefer to make my own fashion with ingame skins from collections and various other parts. Only gem store skin I really like is the cat ear hoodie. It’s so cute on my little rat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, chripsy.1027 said:

95% of the armour in this game looks horrendous. Look at the newest armour set they have designed. The Ancient Ritualist. Go ahead and take a look. What is it. What IS it. whatisit. What.Is.It. WHATISIT!

This is true, the current team that designs the armor lacks ideas, it is that even the designs of the sets that are bought for gems are not pretty.

Edited by sergiomasako.2906
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

i was hoping they could've just reused the armor skins from GW1, and I'd be happy, my all time favorites were (and for the sake of god don't turn them into outfits)

• Warrior
    • Kurzick Standard and Elite
    • Luxon Standar
  • Necro Luxon Elite
  • Ranger
    • Canthan Standard
    • Kurzick Standard
  • Monk Kurzick Elite
  • Ritualist Luxon Elite
Edited by crepuscular.9047
  • Like 1

Agree that there could always be more variation but I still manage to find fitting pieces.

What I usually do is find a "center piece" to my look, often chest or head armor or sometimes weapon. Then I build look based on that by going thru the wardrobe piece by piece.
If I'm feeling lazy I might use good looking outfit, customize the colors and add proper backpack/weapons/infusions. Esp with outfits I usually turn the headpiece off and find a fitting head & hair for it.

And yes it takes time and is often forever ongoing process. I'm fine tuning my looks almost every time I log on but that's what the fashion wars is for me.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

not counting the outfits and keeping in mind that you can only wear 1 weight class, it's actually no more that 84 armor sets.

hardly the hundreds you mention.

but even with all that, about 90% isn't even guild wars worthy.

i take the original GW armors over anything GW2 by miles.

I mean, I said hundreds of skins, not hundreds of armour sets. There are also many skins not tied to armour sets. I think it's great that they have such a wide variety of skins, that way there's something for everyone.

Seems like you're stuck in nostalgia. GW1 has some nice armour sets, it also has a ton of ugly ones, and you were limited to a choice of what... 20 armour sets per class?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Except there are plenty where the buttcape is attached to the torso on medium but attached to the pants on light.

Go check for example

Whatever armor with long skirt or coat + Seven Reaper Greaves (any weight) / toxic boots

Combat position with whatever warhorn is  inside the knee (smoll human female ranger)

And, there is the alpha channel theres no need to remake the model itself just the texture will fix it

Lets say the light accolite pants for example,  the model is a skirt over some pants, you make the skirt trapsarent with the txture and youll see only the pants

• Confused 2

Yes, there is an issue with armor/outfit (and weapon) design in this game. Several issues, in fact:

• Some (mostly older) sets look like a steam roller has rolled over a pile of mixed fabrics. They lack any style whatsoever.
  • Some styles clash with the more beautiful, classy designs (and often feel like, "Let's call Scully and Mulder! I think there's been an alien invasion!", or "Oh, is this a comic book-themed dress party?")
  • Some sets unnecessarily have extremely weird looking "adornments" that ruin the otherwise cool design of the armor/outfit.
  • Many sets make the legs super fat, while others make them scrawny/void of muscles.
  • Many sets significantly reduce or increase the hip size.
  • Many sets significantly increase the size of female breasts.
  • Most sets look terrible on charr, some even on the other non-human races.
  • Almost all sets look awful on female characters: bare chest/back/hips/thighs, leg suspenders, highheels, kitschy adornments.
  • (And don't even get me started on oversized and/or comical weapon designs ...)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

honestly i haven't liked any armour set since release...

they are all just horrible.

what happened to the guys who made beautiful sets like Winged and Assassin?

why is every new armour so deliberately ugly?

how do you go from this and this in 2012 to this and this in 2022

and don't give me "they're going for asian/canthan themes" because i played GW1,

i can remember some amazing looking canthan sets! like this, this and this!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

the assasin one i like the top but the side hip thing looks bad on the other pants like "what is that thing hanging there ??" ☹️

Anyway the whole purpose of heavy/light/medium is gone with the gemstore skins, they should remake the armor/skin system and rewamp the skins looks.

We need heavy armors that looks heavy , sexy armor for both male & female, better shoes.

Edited by Faccina.5091
  • Like 1

My mesmer lady is now rocking the Ancient Canthan top, Antique skirt (...pants? What would you call those?), Winged boots, and left the gloves, shoulders, and head bare. You could swap the boots for the Monastery slippers; I just chose Winged because it dyes so well.

Voila - a cute, feminine summer dress that doesn't bare ridiculous amounts of skin.

I actually like the fact that all the EoD armors look good with each other - you can mix and match the pieces pretty well...at least for the shirt, pants, and boots. The gloves and shoulders look kind of wonky (save for the Monastery set), and the hats tend to be hit or miss for me, but then again I rarely let my character's head piece show anyway. I'm also glad that some of the EoD heavy armor doesn't stick the character into an oversized tin can (Antique, Monastery, Jade Tech to a degree). Can we have more heavy armor that isn't plate armor/looks like you'd need a crane and an industrial-strength can opener to get on and off?

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:27 PM, chripsy.1027 said:

95% of the armour in this game looks horrendous. Look at the newest armour set they have designed. The Ancient Ritualist. Go ahead and take a look. What is it. What IS it. whatisit. What.Is.It. WHATISIT!

I've been saying this for years. But then you get the haters and defend everything in this game no matter how horrible it looks. All the armor in this game is garbage and the "shiny" armor is just reskinned basic armor like everything else in this game. They are lazy and only reskin basic skins that already exist. 

Now lets set the timer to see how long it takes anet to remove this comment and ban me for telling the truth about the game and then say I am being rude to the staff.  << insert final jeopardy music here >>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

You threaten the space-time continuum with your wild discarding of sartorial restraint!

You are my hero. Not the hero I need, but the one I deserve.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Not gonna lie, would love more long leather trenchcoats for medium that have a nice fit like the Magitech jacket, sans all the techy bits, and won't override your glove skins with giant poofy sleeves. I know leather armor trenchcoats are almost on the same meme tier as buttcapes but I'm a sucker for using them on my medium armor characters.

• Haha 1

I find that GW2 armor works best when you mix and match.  This is why I don't really like outfits.

Also <insert argument of objectivity vs. hyperbolic subjectivity> (because this old old topic has been rehashed too many times to repeat the same points over and over).  don't make me get @kharmin.7683 in here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 3:20 PM, Liewec.2896 said:

and don't give me "they're going for asian/canthan themes" because i played GW1,

i can remember some amazing looking canthan sets! like this, this and this!

Yes, but GW1 followed a strict guideline on aesthetics. It had a distinct style, that's why it was beautiful beginning to end.

In GW2, sadly, everything seems to be allowed, no matter how out of place, ill-matched, comical, extraterrestrial, punky, or otherwise immersion-breaking it might look. GW2 lacks a clear-cut identity and sense of taste.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1