New Playable Races

Maybe they could implement some races to Central Tyria. Add some ability to race in the older maps. Maybe a water based one, any chance to use my Jet Ski skinned Skimmer.

Or heres one, how about an area of WvW dedicated to Warclaw racing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Elder Dragon that can shape shift into other races.

... oh wait we can just use tonics instead lol.

I do not see it happen. Would annoy people whose race did not get added and would mean more work to adapt the armor skins.

I just want to be able to use mounts while using certain tonics like the kodan one so I could very much play as a kodan

• Like 5

Because Anet is not adding new playable races I  feel like they have been lazy or in maintenance-mode mindset. Is it too much effort to make a new personal story for those races, make gear work on the new race models, and other necessary things?  They did it for Sylvari and Heart of Thorns, this was peak quality and effort. Now, they don't even try.

• Confused 9
  • Sad 1

It's not super high up there on my wants list, but if a new race were coming and we got to pick the species, I'd for sure vote Skritt.

They've already been everywhere the commander has, they've been present at every major story event and active in every region, and their limited intelligence almost completely negates the need for a backstory any more complicated than crawling out of the nearest junk pile and running screeching toward adventure (and loot). Plus, they're also an excellent opportunity to make fun of the player tendency to zerg and glom together behind anyone with a commander tag.

Many Skritts - more come, yes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Y'know, a thought -- Awakened!  Could just be optional slider/texture choices in character creation for all races, maybe just in makeover kits so characters start "alive."  No need to actually design a new race, but people can play any extant race and become an Awakened at any point in their story they like.  Bonus points if some voice/text lines are sparsely added in the story to indicate others notice you are not quite actually alive but find that less important than dealing with the immediate crisis.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Voltage.8027 said:

Because Anet is not adding new playable races I  feel like they have been lazy or in maintenance-mode mindset. Is it too much effort to make a new personal story for those races, make gear work on the new race models, and other necessary things?  They did it for Sylvari and Heart of Thorns, this was peak quality and effort. Now, they don't even try.

Except new races couldn't really be integrated into the existing story.

You are comparing making new races to the Sylvari which were in the game from the start and had elements of the story planned around them from the get-go. The Sylvari wasn't randomly added with HoT, along with changes to the story of the game prior.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2022 at 10:24 AM, Donari.5237 said:

Wellll ... in Horizons (now Istaria) you could play an actual dragon.  Start at hatchling, go through long quests to grow up to ancient.  And you got to buy lairs instead of housing plots.

In GW2, yeah, been discussed to death (along with the many technical and game design reasons why ANet probably won't/can't implement it).  But in this extremely hypothetical case, I like Tengu and Skritt the most for the RP potential.

Ooh, playable dragons sounds neat. 😄 I don't really have time for another MMO right now, but I'll keep that tidbit about Istaria in mind.

For the case of Skritt, owing to their unusual method of intelligence, my guess is that instead of one Skritt, you're actually playing like a trio of Skritt all at once. (Imagine that Choya Pumpkin Gang, but it's Skritt.) It'd be insanely difficult to make art and animate for, but man, would that be something incredibly creative and unique.

10 hours ago, Voltage.8027 said:

Again too much effort excuse. We should get a new race each expansion and not this

• Confused 4

7 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Except new races couldn't really be integrated into the existing story.

So they need to make a new story and introduce something new into the game. Or do you think that we dont need a new content.....? 

• Confused 5

Back at launch, when I got to the Orr part in personal story I was amazed by this incredibly sexy NPC whose race I couldn't seem to encounter anywhere else in the game. I later discovered that they were Largos. Nice big booba, tight leotard and those THIGHS. Plus, built-in wings! Man, I'd gladly pay 8000 gems to unlock female Largos as a playable race.

Edited by Demirincar.4103
I somehow forgot that bodysuits with exposed legs were called leotards
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

So to the people who have been saying it would be too hard to try integrate the new races into the existing story okay let's run with that premise then why not create their own area till say level 30 where they will then just connect to the story on the main map 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

33 minutes ago, Michalis.6105 said:

So to the people who have been saying it would be too hard to try integrate the new races into the existing story okay let's run with that premise then why not create their own area till say level 30 where they will then just connect to the story on the main map 

Problem is not even story, there is 29054782 sets of armor that will need to be re-designed for new race. 12085712075 lines of voice acting. And the list goes on. Adding new race will never pay off for anet. Unless they want this MMO to completely die - they will never do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, daesz.2439 said:

Problem is not even story, there is 29054782 sets of armor that will need to be re-designed for new race. 12085712075 lines of voice acting. And the list goes on. Adding new race will never pay off for anet. Unless they want this MMO to completely die - they will never do it.

majority of the voice lines just refer to you as Commander and don't bring up your race, gender etc so there is no reason those lines would need to change as for armors sure that will take effort for any with bare skin showing but any pieces that hide your body part entirely it's easy as can be for most of the races

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

44 minutes ago, Michalis.6105 said:

as for armors sure that will take effort for any with bare skin showing but any pieces that hide your body part entirely it's easy as can be for most of the races

Speaking from years of experience? My concern is introducing a very different body type to the game e.g. Tengu would involve some heavy reworks on the exisiting armor sets.
At this point, I'd rather see more polished Open World events, a dozen more strikes with CMs or even a raid wing than have another playable race.

Edited by NotTooFoolish.7412
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1