New Playable Races

17 minutes ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Speaking from years of experience. My concern is introducing a very different body type to the game e.g. Tengu would involve some heavy reworks on the exisiting armor sets.
At this point, I'd rather see more polished Open World events, a dozen more strikes with CMs or even a raid wing than have another playable race.

Thing is for armor and models like this you aren't really using the same team members that would be doing polishing of Open World events, or designing a Strike/Raid(you would need the same teams when it comes to put the raid together for any new assets and the story for them), a new race would be basically the art, animation and story writing teams almost exclusively for the majority of their creation

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

23 minutes ago, Michalis.6105 said:

Thing is for armor and models like this you aren't really using the same team members that would be doing polishing of Open World events, or designing a Strike/Raid(you would need the same teams when it comes to put the raid together for any new assets and the story for them), a new race would be basically the art, animation and story writing teams almost exclusively for the majority of their creation

I would suggest you to read/watch dev insights for the last 8-10 years from anet and not post heresy like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, soul.9651 said:

So they need to make a new story and introduce something new into the game. Or do you think that we dont need a new content.....? 

We need new content, but there are more - and better - content that is not some new race.

6 hours ago, Michalis.6105 said:

So to the people who have been saying it would be too hard to try integrate the new races into the existing story okay let's run with that premise then why not create their own area till say level 30 where they will then just connect to the story on the main map 

You'd still have to rewrite the story. Some random Canthan singing bird wouldn't appear in Lion's Arch out of nowhere and then lead the races of Tyria to victory against Zhaitan. 
Even if you grab the Tengu from the Dominion of the Winds they didn't take part in the story.

The whole story would be patching cracks in the wall, being harassed by traders, patching more cracks in the wall, making arrows, then shooting at random people in the middle of a jungle only to go back home to patch more cracks in the walls only to fight some Void dudes for some time, then you'd get actual story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Voltage.8027 said:

Because Anet is not adding new playable races I  feel like they have been lazy or in maintenance-mode mindset. Is it too much effort to make a new personal story for those races, make gear work on the new race models, and other necessary things?  They did it for Sylvari and Heart of Thorns, this was peak quality and effort. Now, they don't even try.

They did not create new personal story, new race models, gear adaptations or anything of the sort for Sylvari in HoT. Sylvari have been in the game since launch.

• Like 7

It would be nice to have it on multiple fronts:

Marketing (yeah I know how that will be seen)

Player hype, both current and prospective

New aesthetic combinations and themes that previously were unavailable

A potential new start, even for players that have seen it all*

*that doesn't necessarily mean a 1-80 playthrough, perhaps the game has a different starting point for them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, FrigginPaco.4178 said:

*that doesn't necessarily mean a 1-80 playthrough, perhaps the game has a different starting point for them

This is the only way I can see them reasonably doing any sort of new playable race tbh - Starting in a level 80 zone that just begins their story at that point in the game. Then adding in a popup and/or sepia effect for previous mission replays like they had in GW1 missions that you played through with characters from a different campaign: "You are experiencing events that occurred to heroes of the past." This way, no old missions would need to be remade from scratch (only modifying some of the few racial dialogues/events in them) just to fit in a new race.

In any case, I highly doubt anything like this would be worth the effort, as others have said, and would much rather have Anet focus on other new content/fixing old content.

• Like 2

I'd go with Skritt, but can see that race being difficult to play, because lore wise, you're not very smart alone, but smarter together.

I could imagine one of their racial elite bonuses which would be similar to Charr's warband, but it's just a bunch of generic skritt and it just gives you insane stat bonuses as long as they're on the field, to make sense.

Edited by JayHog.3280
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

I mean, Anet could always to something like the Allied Races in Wow.

The exactly races, only with different starting zone, starting story and some unique design options.

Canthanian humans, olmakhan charrs, some isolated pirate norns...

Not the worst of ideas, but they'd have to make more maps and not to mention it has to fit the same style of the first 30 levels that leads you to fight Zhaitan until you choose an order. So that could be tricky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2022 at 7:24 AM, soul.9651 said:

Idk why some people didnt like the idea xd risen race would be pretty dam cool, and its about time to steal something from wow:d 

Also why people are so agaisnt new races... "It would be too much work for them". So according to them its better just do nothing..? What is up with people giving anet excuses "if its hard to make, they shouldnt do it at all"... 

Didn't we steal Naga from them? I'm sure it has mythology roots somewhere but WoW is the first place i saw them!

• Confused 1

On 5/18/2022 at 8:11 AM, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

At this point, I'd rather see more polished Open World events, a dozen more strikes with CMs or even a raid wing than have another playable race.

nah, i don't want to see that boring content. new races would be more fun for me and anet could sell more character thingies in the gem store.

• Confused 2

I mean if they venture into new parts of the world that nobody ever went in gw1 who is to say there aren't other races out their anet could create? Maybe lore that i don't know about says that? but i mean there is magic and the mists, maybe this race cloaked itself from the outside world like the Nox. 😄 a little SG1 reference there 😄 So they can keep the same basic character templates but change how they look.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Confused 1

On 5/17/2022 at 12:47 PM, Mediahead.3542 said:

I'd like to see Tengu, Largos, and a reptilian race that's either an evolutionary offshoot of the Forgotten or created by Aurene herself (similar to how The Pale Tree made the Sylvari).

a reptilian race could be cool feels a lil ripped from ESO though but you knwo some people think they've seen a reptilian alien race in some ufo sightings so maybe that what anet could say 😄

• Confused 2

Tengu

Evolved Quaggons (asura template presumably don't know if it'd would work though, probs problems like tengu)

Dwarves

Ogres

what are those winged ladies with claws called? lol i forget. they usually hover around trees. those things 😄

What other enemy mobs could become a playable race hmm.

Evolved humanoid Naga

cute lil bunny rabbits kinda like that one mountain top in WoW where all the animals had weapons! or like murderous rabbits from the Quest for the Holy Grail either works! 😄

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Kodan for me for sure. 

They would need to retexture and reanimate them though like they did the Tengu. 

In addition to Kodan playable race they could add a couple of new zones where the Kodan would begin their journey. They could also add a new class let's call it "monk". The Kodan are prefect for a monk like class. 

They would also make for some awesome looking warriors.

http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Russell-Dongjun-Lu-Concept-Art-04-2018-Lesson-01-Ursus-Warbear.jpg

Edited by Zeusx.2906
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, JayHog.3280 said:

Not the worst of ideas, but they'd have to make more maps and not to mention it has to fit the same style of the first 30 levels that leads you to fight Zhaitan until you choose an order. So that could be tricky.

No it doesn't. Why would any new playable races have to follow that same formula?

In my post i suggest the Kodan, they could easily have their own struggles and they could be tied into the dragon story line through some isolated events where none of the main characters from the base game appear. For example up in the very northern parts beyond the shiverpeaks (where the Kodan are supposedly from) the Kodan along with some Norn have a battle with Jormag or a powerful ally of Jormag that nobody knew about. Perhaps these Norn that are fighting with the Kodan are familiar with Eir and she is talking to these Norn all throughout sending messages but she herself could never venture up there to help due to her having to try to save Destiny's Edge and that entire thing. So the Kodan battle in the far north could be taking place while Eir is let's say in the Catacombs looking for Magdaer. So thats where Kodan players are and doing story before they are completely tied into the overarching story.

This is just of the top of my head literally thought of this in 5 minutes. I'm sure the talented people at ArenaNet could come up with something that makes even more sense.

Edited by Zeusx.2906
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

Not it doesn't. Why would any new playable races have to follow that same formula?

In my post i suggest the Kodan, they could easily have their own struggles and they could be tied into the dragon story line through some isolated events where none of the main characters from the base game appear. For example up in the very northern parts beyond the shiverpeaks (where the Kodan are supposedly from) the Kodan along with some Norn have a battle with Jormag or a powerful ally of Jormag that nobody knew about. Perhaps these Norn that are fighting with the Kodan are familiar with Eir and she is talking to these Norn all throughout sending messages but she herself could never venture up there to help due to her having to try to save Destiny's Edge and that entire thing. So the Kodan battle in the far north could be taking place while Eir is let's say in the Catacombs looking for Magdaer. So thats where Kodan players are and doing story before they are completely tied into the overarching story.

This is just of the top of my head literally thought of this in 5 minutes. I'm sure the talented people at ArenaNet could come up with something that makes even more sense.

Because the main idea is to introduce people to their mentors of infinity edge, and the fact that Zhaitan is a global threat, not to mention that they still have to follow the other story lines like living seasons and expansions, otherwise it's just overcomplicating the situation by adding MORE content than already made, not to mention of potential timeline issues where if you fight Jormag too early, it sorta invalidates icebrood.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JayHog.3280 said:

Because the main idea is to introduce people to their mentors of infinity edge, and the fact that Zhaitan is a global threat, not to mention that they still have to follow the other story lines like living seasons and expansions, otherwise it's just overcomplicating the situation by adding MORE content than already made, not to mention of potential timeline issues where if you fight Jormag too early, it sorta invalidates icebrood.

You are complicating things for no reason to be honest with you. If the Kodan were to battle Jormag, they don't have to kill him. Maybe overall they heavily lose but manage to do enough to get him to back off and perhaps due to the personal losses it motivates the Kodan to travel south and join the fight which a people like the Kodan otherwise would never do.

And like i said it doesn't have to be Jormag.

The Kodan don't need a mentor. They don't need to follow that same formula.

Actually they would never accept a mentor due to their culture and beliefs.

As for timeline issues they would obviously make sure there are no conflicts. I haven't thought about it that deeply like i said literally the last 10 minutes on this. I trust that people who do this kind of stuff for a living wouldn't be outdone by some random dude in a forum post (me).

Edited by Zeusx.2906
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

You are complicating things for no reason to be honest with you. If the Kodan were to battle Jormag, they don't have to kill him. Maybe overall they heavily lose but manage to do enough to get him to back off and perhaps due to the personal losses it motivates the Kodan to travel south and join the fight which a people like the Kodan otherwise would never do.

The Kodan don't need a mentor. They don't need to follow that same formula.

Actually they would never accept a mentor due to their culture and beliefs.

As for timeline issues they would obviously make sure there are no conflicts. I haven't thought about it that deeply like i said literally the last 10 minutes on this. I trust that people who do this kind of stuff for a living wouldn't be outdone by some random dude in a forum post (me).

I'm a random dude too recently, but even I'd know than to wish a game company to completely add a new pathway without lots of prior planning, considering it has to match the time line. Because imagine if the same had to happen to the other species? It's basically adding enough content to almost double the game's space requirements.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, JayHog.3280 said:

I'm a random dude too recently, but even I'd know than to wish a game company to completely add a new pathway without lots of prior planning, considering it has to match the time line. Because imagine if the same had to happen to the other species? It's basically adding enough content to almost double the game's space requirements.

Not sure why they would touch the other races though? The ideas I'm spitballing would only apply to the Kodan.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Zeusx.2906 said:

Not sure why they would touch the other races though? The ideas I'm spitballing would only apply to the Kodan.

Yes, but we're on the topic of other races also being part of the playable meta.

At this point, you're better off hoping that Guild Wars 3 becomes a thing and they double or triple the playable races, each with their story line, and have the expansions connect it together, or have it connected in the final quest lines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Tengu, I'd play a birdman in a heartbeat 

One thing that worries me is how a new race would be handled, though, I only started playing GW2 recently so I don't know how Anet is as a dev, but I came from FF14, and lemme tell you, the new races they added from the 3rd expansion onward were pathetic. They can't even wear helms, and only had one gender each at launch, and the devs don't have any intention to let them wear hats.

If a new race required it to be half assed in GW2 due to time constraints or lack of dosh, then I wouldn't want a new race in the first place, I'd want them to either go big or go home. 

Edited by SamuelW.2685
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, Randin.5701 said:

Tengu, largos, and kodan. I also like krait as a dark horse choice, but being the one race that's universally evil certainly puts them towards the bottom of the list in terms of likelihood.

In this day and age, I’d say it puts them at the top. Creators love telling us how the villains were just misunderstood. 😄