New Playable Races

Tengu would be the easiest to retrofit into the Zhaitan story. A few tengu existing outside the walls, acting against the dragon that chased them from their homeland, doesn't sound abnormal. They are scarce, but not so scarce that all the NPCs would need to be commenting on that 24/7. The Dominion of Winds is a good city and starting zone location that is uniform with the cities of the other races. It's too perfect of an opportunity for a new race. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:08 PM, Michalis.6105 said:

While I doubt it will ever happen(nor am I saying it should) but I'm just curious which races would you like to see become playable and why

The answer is always Tengu over all. 

Because gimme birbs, I gibs 90 monies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Largos probs would be the easiest but unless we have a bunch of primarily underwater maps for them i really don't think the Tyria gods should go in that direction. They look too similar to humans anyways imo. They just have angel wings on their backs. 😄

• Confused 1

Because, for me, I still do, and going through EoD increases that want. Even though it would be a pain to implement a new start for Tengus, I feel it would be worth it, there were people on Reddit who were hoping that the eventual release of Cantha would introduce Tengus as a new playable race but, alas, that did not happen. I am certain I am not the only one that would see Tengus as a breathe of fresh air since they'd give you a new story and race to start with, when you're an altoholic like me, doing the same stories over and over again gets really old and introducing a new one through making Tengus a playable race would be very nice. 

And to those who would say "It would be too much work/too expensive.", no it wouldn't.

(plus, there's no MMO with a playable bird race, it would be pretty kitten unique of GW2 to go for it. I am aware that they have two other playable races that are somewhat unique [[Sylvari and Asura]] but only somewhat, since Sylvari is just Wood Elf taken literally and Asuras are basically Goblins if they were British and smart)

Also, is the confused emote a meme? Because I see people using it as a reaction on literally every single post and it baffles me considering most of the posts are clear on what they're saying.

Edited by LittleSoftTail.8405
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

I don't. Atm I have 35 alts and my bias in alts is pretty obvious. 21 are human. Asura and Charr have 4 apiece, and that leaves 3 apiece for Norns and Sylvari. Personally, I'm not feeling any great need for a new race and don't feel any particular attraction to the Tengu. All that is just me though. There are a number of players who have been asking for a new race for the four years I've been in Tyria. Tengu seem to be one of the most popular choices for that role. So I'm fine with Anet implementing that if they choose to. Even if it doesn't appeal to me personally, the more choices there are in the game, the wider the appeal of the game. And the more people involved in the game, the better it is for all of us.

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

And to those who would say "It would be too much work/too expensive.", no it wouldn't.

(plus, there's no MMO with a playable bird race, it would be pretty kitten unique of GW2 to go for it. I am aware that they have two other playable races that are somewhat unique [[Sylvari and Asura]] but only somewhat, since Sylvari is just Wood Elf taken literally and Asuras are basically Goblins if they were British and smart)

Also, is the confused emote a meme? Because I see people using it as a reaction on literally every single post and it baffles me considering most of the posts are clear on what they're saying.

The real problem that GW2 has is that it really wasn't built for expansion in this area. They tried to do a lot of cool stuff that made any modification to the original idea extremely challenging. This is why they don't sell race changes. They'd love to, but it's not possible due to the personal story being too deeply implemented into the game.

Same with Tengu or any new race. It's not just a new starting area. It's not just a new personal story. It's not just a new character model. But ANet also made all armors specific to a race. They need manual modifications to fit right. So they would also have to go back to all armors and adapt them to a new race. 

This would take a lot of time and effort which can not be put into other content. I would like to play a Tengu too. I would like to buy a race change on the gemstore. But I want new content that I can enjoy with all my characters more. And doubt they could do it with small enough effort to justify the novelty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

They already have the basics due structurally the tengu share the same skeleton as the charr (same leg structure). But the animations should be entirely different and that has VERY LOW chance to happen since they reused dozens of older skill animations for the whole EoD specs (and even duplicated some of them between the nex specs, as the jump for the Viindi and the Specter).

So, they are not interested in spending money in new animations, plus I doubt they would be able to retrofit every dungeon weapon and armor to fit the new race.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

It would be too much work/too expensive. And like you, I won't explain my opinion with any arguments either.

Edit: And for the record, I don't care for Tengu, so it's a no for me.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I like the Tengu and if they added a race, I'd like them to be the one, but they aren't planning to.   I'm fine with it as is, just interacting with them, I've enjoyed more of them in EoD.  Also I've gone from mostly sylvari to playing charr so I'd miss my swishy tail.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

How would it not be?

They would have to update most armor/weapons (and their animations), come up with new animations for almost everything, and change all racially-specific dialogue, all for 10 years worth of content. Also, unless they introduced the new race as an entirely new level 80-only starting area (more likely), they would need to redesign/retcon the entire storyline up to this point, as neither Tengu/Largos/any of the other major races participated in it in any significant fashion. The amount of time/resources spent on that could so much easier and more worthwhile to be spent on more important stuff that would be more important to players (like new expacs) than a minor cosmetic change, most likely only for level 80 players who are far into the story.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1