Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

Well the year has certainly gone by fast! Can't believe it's almost June already! I'm happy to announce that

 

Tyria Pride 2022 will be happening on June 18 & 19, on both NA and EU servers!

 What is Tyria Pride?

Tyria Pride is an annual event that celebrates the LGBTQ+ community and our allies both in-game and out, and raises funds for Rainbow Railroad, a non-profit organisation which helps LGBTQ+ people around the world escape state-sponsored persecution and violence!

 

It's a 2-day event with a 7 year history, as part of which we'll be walking from Ebonhawke to the gates of Rata Sum in Metrica Province, hanging out & having fun while raising money to leave the world a better place than we found it!

 

■ When / Where?

The event takes place over two days, and will be held on both EU and NA servers.

 

Start locations:

  • • Saturday, June 18: Ebonhawke (at the portal from Divinity's Reach)
  • • Sunday, June 19: Lion's Arch (at the Field of the Fallen)

 

Start times:

• EU: 16:00 CEST [14:00 UTC]
• NA: 4 PM CDT [21:00 UTC]

 

We tend to start marching about 15 minutes past the hour. Despite this, to get into the correct instance without any issues, it's recommended to be at the location at least 15 minutes before the hour.

 

 How to join?

To accommodate everyone coming to the event, we'll have multiple volunteers helping everyone get together, and will be taking over multiple instances of the same mapEach instance can only take about 150 people, so not everyone will be able to fit on the same instance. Our volunteers will be opening LFGs to get everyone onto a number of maps.

 

One way to make this simpler and to get in touch with volunteers more easily is to join the Tyria Pride discord, at tyriapride.com/discord! As the event draws closer, we'll include a list of volunteers here that you can contact in-game as well!

 

Please note: Do not open your own LFGs, please wait for organisers to open theirs so that you can join on a map instance with an organiser on it. Due to how the megaservers work, just because you are in Ebonhawke / Lion's Arch, it doesn't mean you're with the organisers. That's why it's a good idea to arrive into the map before the event start time!

 

 How to get involved?

The success and scope of Tyria Pride depends heavily on help and volunteers from the community! If you wish to help out, there are several ways you can do so:

 

 • Volunteering: Volunteers help out on the day of the event by helping ferry/taxi everyone into the correct instance between maps, guiding the path, fielding questions & providing information (which you'll be provided as a volunteer in the form of copy-pastes). A commander tag helps greatly with this but is not necessary. 

 

 • Streaming the event: Streaming the event is a great way to spread the word! This year we'll be compiling and highlighting a list of streamers that will be attending the event, so if you're planning on streaming the event, let me know!


 • Contributing in-game prizes: One of the ways that we encourage donations to the Rainbow Railroad fundraiser is by doing raffles of in-game prizes. In the past, this has included legendaries, rare materials and fancy skins! If you can contribute anything that you think might be a cool prize, get in touch!


 • Spreading the word: The most important thing to any event is visibility! If you can spread the word to your friends, your guild, your grandma, your estranged cousins, share the event on social media, talk about it at brunch with your co-workers, explain it to your cat! For quick information, here's a promo image you can share!
    
If you want to get involved, either as a guild or as an individual, the best way to do that is to join our discord at tyriapride.com/discord and get in touch there, or contact me in-game at Lelling.6795 via in-game mail!

 

 

■ Fundraiser

But wait! We're not just talking the talk, we're also walking the walk, and we want to create actual change and improve the lives of LGBTQ+ people worldwide, so we are, as always, running a fundraiser for Rainbow Railroad, an organisation focused on helping LGBTQ+ individuals escape persecution and violence.

 

You can find the fundraiser at justgiving.com/tyriapride2022

 

Just like every year, those donating to the fundraiser will be able to participate in raffles to receive both in-game and out-of-game rewards!

 

 Contact

If you have any questions about the event, feel free to ask them here on this post! I'll be checking it regularly and doing my best to reply to any questions! You can also join the Tyria Pride in-game guild, but note that the guild is inactive throughout the year, and is only used as an infopoint to let people know about this particular event. If you're looking for an active LGBTQ+ guild, the Tyria Pride event itself and our discord are a great place to look!

 

In-game contact: Lelling.6795

Tyria Pride discord: tyriapride.com/discord

 

For general questions, replying to this post works too!

  • Like 35
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sooo excited to take part again this year! 🏳️‍🌈

As someone who has never been to a Pride March (or event) in real life, this is the next best thing, and it really is the best thing! 💖
This really brings the community together, it's wonderful! 🌈

Do you think we can beat our fundraising total from last year? 🤯

Edited by tea.1730
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As a, to put it softly, mistreated LGBT+ person... I honestly could not give a kitten less about such sorry events.

It does not help me, or people in similar to mine circumstances, like AT ALL.

If anything, it feels like a starving child receiving a headpat from a person eating a double-sized Burger King... whatever they sell there nowadays.

Events similar to this one are simply a circle of mutual adoration for the privileged westoids, celebrating their fancy rights and free medical assistance while the rest of us is left to suffer and, you guessed that right, TO DIE.

I don't have anything to celebrate, because to me, this life is a lost cause.

Call me bitter, but the truth is, thoughts and prayers (including those with a rainbow flair), have yet to save anyone.

I wish you all a good life and happy virtual celebrating. Whether people like me are left to perish - Do not bother.

-My two, blood-covered, cents.

Edited by Valisha.8650
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2022 at 6:42 PM, Valisha.8650 said:

As a, to put it softly, mistreated LGBT+ person... I honestly could not give a kitten less about such sorry events.

It does not help me, or people in similar to mine circumstances, like AT ALL.

If anything, it feels like a starving child receiving a headpat from a person eating a double-sized Burger King... whatever they sell there nowadays.

Events similar to this one are simply a circle of mutual adoration for the privileged westoids, celebrating their fancy rights and free medical assistance while the rest of us is left to suffer and, you guessed that right, TO DIE.

I don't have anything to celebrate, because to me, this life is a lost cause.

Call me bitter, but the truth is, thoughts and prayers (including those with a rainbow flair), have yet to save anyone.

I wish you all a good life and happy virtual celebrating. Whether people like me are left to perish - Do not bother.

-My two, blood-covered, cents.

 

Fortunately, Tyria Pride is not just a thoughts and prayers event, and is in fact, as stated in the post, a fundraiser for Rainbow Railroad, an internationally active organisation that works on the ground to help LGBTQ+ people escape state sponsored persecution and violence. They work in many countries across Africa, Russia, Asia, and the Americas, to bring LGBTQ+ people to safety, currently handling a surge of requests from Afghanistan, where many queer people fear executions, and Ukraine, where LGBTQ+ refugees might find it more difficult to find safe havens.

 

Many attendees of Tyria Pride also come from countries (or even just homes) where being queer is either illegal or dangerous, and find friendship, support, and advice. For others, even the act of having one feel good day is an act of resistance, in a society that wants to suppress them.

  • Like 19
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lelling.6795 said:

 

Fortunately, Tyria Pride is not just a thoughts and prayers event, and is in fact, as stated in the post, a fundraiser for Rainbow Railroad, an internationally active organisation that works on the ground to help LGBTQ+ people escape state sponsored persecution and violence. They work in many countries across Africa, Russia, Asia, and the Americas, to bring LGBTQ+ people to safety, currently handling a surge of requests from Afghanistan, where many queer people fear executions, and Ukraine, where LGBTQ+ refugees might find it more difficult to find safe havens.

 

Many attendees of Tyria Pride also come from countries (or even just homes) where being queer is either illegal or dangerous, and find friendship, support, and advice. For others, even the act of having one feel good day is an act of resistance, in a society that wants to suppress them.

"Rainbow Railroad" has inflated standards over who in their bigoted cis-privileged eyes "needs help". 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

On 5/21/2022 at 5:42 PM, Valisha.8650 said:

As a, to put it softly, mistreated LGBT+ person... I honestly could not give a kitten less about such sorry events.

It does not help me, or people in similar to mine circumstances, like AT ALL.

If anything, it feels like a starving child receiving a headpat from a person eating a double-sized Burger King... whatever they sell there nowadays.

Events similar to this one are simply a circle of mutual adoration for the privileged westoids, celebrating their fancy rights and free medical assistance while the rest of us is left to suffer and, you guessed that right, TO DIE.

I don't have anything to celebrate, because to me, this life is a lost cause.

Call me bitter, but the truth is, thoughts and prayers (including those with a rainbow flair), have yet to save anyone.

I wish you all a good life and happy virtual celebrating. Whether people like me are left to perish - Do not bother.

-My two, blood-covered, cents.

I get that you're hurt, but is this really the place to let it out? This event means a lot to other people, so it would be cool if you could let them enjoy it without you slagging it off. Slamming things you don't like without any constructive criticism won't make the world any better, nor will your hollow well wishes. Not every event needs to be catered to your specific needs, and if this one isn't for you, that's fine.

I wish you all the best in finding fulfilment in your life, and I hope you enjoy Tyria Pride if you do attend!

Edited by lehmunayde.1746
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still very fresh to Guild Wars, but I've always been keen to get to attend an event like this! I'm probably too clueless to have the knowhow to contribute anything outside of my presence, but I'm excited nonetheless! Here's to a great celebration and fundraiser ♥

  • Like 7
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looking forward to attending again this year! Are we sending raffle donations to your account?

And for any new people looking to attend it's super fun, doesn't require anything from you but your participation and it's just a great way to stand up for a great cause. Just being there is a huge deal and shows just how tolerant and inclusive the GW2 playerbase is.

Edited by Thereon.3495
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:06 AM, Thereon.3495 said:

Looking forward to attending again this year! Are we sending raffle donations to your account?

 

Yep, please send all in-game donations to Lelling.6795! Make sure to mention Tyria Pride in the subject!

 

And for artists or other volunteers who would love to contribute their skill, time, craft or expertise, make sure to join the Tyria Pride Discord where we can coordinate with everyone!

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2022 at 7:15 PM, lehmunayde.1746 said:

 

I get that you're hurt, but is this really the place to let it out? This event means a lot to other people, so it would be cool if you could let them enjoy it without you slagging it off. Slamming things you don't like without any constructive criticism won't make the world any better, nor will your hollow well wishes. Not every event needs to be catered to your specific needs, and if this one isn't for you, that's fine.

I wish you all the best in finding fulfilment in your life, and I hope you enjoy Tyria Pride if you do attend!

Is this even true? I'm Bi myself and yet I see more straight people excited for this month then anyone on the other side of the fence. 
Someone was stating that they are a part of the crowd, and instead got downvoted after saying they were mistreated, and that is supposed to bring people together? Means a lot to who exactly? People who this event is not even supposed to be for? 
What, it doesn't actually matter at all and everyone just has to conform to the narrative? I know guys who love guys who hate rainbows now.  If anything, all this month feels like is a way for businesses to scam people out of their money. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Is this even true? I'm Bi myself and yet I see more straight people excited for this month then anyone on the other side of the fence. 
Someone was stating that they are a part of the crowd, and instead got downvoted after saying they were mistreated, and that is supposed to bring people together? Means a lot to who exactly? People who this event is not even supposed to be for? 
What, it doesn't actually matter at all and everyone just has to conform to the narrative? I know guys who love guys who hate rainbows now.  If anything, all this month feels like is a way for businesses to scam people out of their money. 

Simply put, while corporations love to plaster rainbows over literally everything under the sun while still funding bills and politicians to hurt LGBTQ+ people anyways, there's still meaning behind the flag. And as someone who's attended this event at least three years now, I've only ever met around one straight person, who was nervous about attended but ultimately encouraged to come along by some friends of mine.

While running around in-game dressed in ugly as sin flag colors may not seem like it's much, it can be the world to some people. Many people who play GW2 come from the US, where exposing yourself as gay to your family has a solid chance of getting you disowned or excluded from your family, if not your community. And even if people do accept you as gay, there's a sizable crowd of people who have the sentiment of "you can be gay, but not when I'm around". This isn't even mentioning specifics parts of the US or overseas where you can expect violence for being outwardly gay, even if you do your best to "look straight". Infact I've actually come to know some people who used Rainbow Railroad to escape countries like that.

Now do I have a carnal urge on a daily basis to go parading around in rainbows and colors? No. I dress pretty plain normally and plenty of other gay people are the same. But just having one day, regardless of borders or even your physical ability, where you can just march around being whatever you'd like with an army of people you know will accept you, can feel really good. And even if the charity work doesn't help a single person, just knowing there's this many people on GW2 who are LGBTQ+ friendly goes miles for some, especially given how capital g Gamers tend towards not liking them.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2022 at 5:15 AM, lehmunayde.1746 said:

 

I get that you're hurt, but is this really the place to let it out? This event means a lot to other people, so it would be cool if you could let them enjoy it without you slagging it off. Slamming things you don't like without any constructive criticism won't make the world any better, nor will your hollow well wishes. Not every event needs to be catered to your specific needs, and if this one isn't for you, that's fine.

I wish you all the best in finding fulfilment in your life, and I hope you enjoy Tyria Pride if you do attend!

I don't have a dog in the fight as I (respectfully) neither support this nor care, but this response is unbelievable! Valisha clearly has had a hugely Negative experience in life, something that most will thankfully never ever know,, and offers insight to what ever charity thats being hocked and then is told to not feel the way  they feel!!

 

I'm a troll by nature and even I was moved by what was said. I mean what the actual. The person just said life was a lost cause and that's the response. I'm at a loss for words.

 

As a conservative I believe everyone has a right to live whatever life they choose. Contrary to what the media tells you when people like me hear about persecution for personal beliefs it hurts. It hurts to know how good we have it here in America and how much people take it all for granted. 

 

I genuinely hope no one ever has to experience persecution for what they like, how they live, and who they are. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, patton the great.7126 said:

I don't have a dog in the fight as I (respectfully) neither support this nor care, but this response is unbelievable! Valisha clearly has had a hugely Negative experience in life, something that most will thankfully never ever know,, and offers insight to what ever charity thats being hocked and then is told to not feel the way  they feel!!

 

I'm a troll by nature and even I was moved by what was said. I mean what the actual. The person just said life was a lost cause and that's the response. I'm at a loss for words.

 

As a conservative I believe everyone has a right to live whatever life they choose. Contrary to what the media tells you when people like me hear about persecution for personal beliefs it hurts. It hurts to know how good we have it here in America and how much people take it all for granted. 

 

I genuinely hope no one ever has to experience persecution for what they like, how they live, and who they are. 

 


Please re-read my post carefully- you seem to have missed the point, which is that this is not the place to vent about your life's struggles, especially not at other people's mistakes. I won't invalidate whatever anyone feels about Pride events- everyone's welcome to their own opinion. However, going out of your way to stomp on what's meaningful to other people just cause it doesn't fit your idea of what representation or activism should be, is totally inappropriate in a thread which is just here to inform people about an event. 

Edited by lehmunayde.1746
quote
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lehmunayde.1746 said:


Please re-read my post carefully- you seem to have missed the point, which is that this is not the place to vent about your life's struggles, especially not at other people's mistakes. I won't invalidate whatever anyone feels about Pride events- everyone's welcome to their own opinion. However, going out of your way to stomp on what's meaningful to other people just cause it doesn't fit your idea of what representation or activism should be, is totally inappropriate in a thread which is just here to inform people about an event. 

I disagree completely. Maybe i'm just someone who thinks everyone is entitled to their own belief and voice. Valisha felt compelled enough to come on here and give their 2 cents about this issue. THEIR POINT OF VIEW is that of someone that this "CHARITY" is reasonably in the same context of. Yet you can clearly see that Valisha has a differing opinion on it from what I assume is a 1st person point of view on the horrors that they faced. So automatically instead of asking what his/her experience was or what lead to the language that she/he chose, their view must be squashed and discarded? Personally I find this kind of censorship abhorrent and uncalled for. Then again i'm used to this kind of censorship coming from a very large college where it's their view or the highway. As soon as someone deviates from their idea of how everyone should be, break out the cancel culture.  

 

Someone needed to say something. I'm frankly disgusted, especially since this is supposed to be a time of healing and support. If anything this makes for an unhealthy and frankly unwelcoming experience. Next time think before you type. All lives matter and deserve a voice, even those who disagree with you. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, patton the great.7126 said:

I disagree completely. Maybe i'm just someone who thinks everyone is entitled to their own belief and voice. Valisha felt compelled enough to come on here and give their 2 cents about this issue. THEIR POINT OF VIEW is that of someone that this "CHARITY" is reasonably in the same context of. Yet you can clearly see that Valisha has a differing opinion on it from what I assume is a 1st person point of view on the horrors that they faced. So automatically instead of asking what his/her experience was or what lead to the language that she/he chose, their view must be squashed and discarded? Personally I find this kind of censorship abhorrent and uncalled for. Then again i'm used to this kind of censorship coming from a very large college where it's their view or the highway. As soon as someone deviates from their idea of how everyone should be, break out the cancel culture.  

 

Someone needed to say something. I'm frankly disgusted, especially since this is supposed to be a time of healing and support. If anything this makes for an unhealthy and frankly unwelcoming experience. Next time think before you type. All lives matter and deserve a voice, even those who disagree with you. 

 

I think you're still missing it- once again, this is a forum pertaining to a videogame, in particular a thread concerning information about a pride event. This is really, really not the place to go into someone's personal trauma, what happened, the reason for the language. If she feels strongly compelled about this, there are therapists who can help her unpack etc. Her posts bring no constructive criticism to this event, and simply make claims about the charity it supports. 

There is a place for her views, it is simply not here. I completely agree with you- people should be allowed to hold and express differing opinions, but there is a time and a place to do so. I'm not advocating that her viewpoint is silenced, only that she thinks about the best place to express it- again, something I clearly conveyed in my previous posts.

Her intention is clearly not the healing and support you talk about, I'm not quite sure where you got that impression. I'm sorry you feel unwelcome by my response, but I'm curious as to what about her 'privileged westoids' rhetoric made you feel at home? I'm sure you can agree that at the very least, civility is important when discussing issues in a time of healing.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree. this is a public forum, and a public event is being pushed. The public event with roots in real life and a public real world charity is being pushed on a video game website. REAL world money is being panhandled for this charity via a video game website. NONE of which has anything to actually do with a video game people come to for an escape from reality....Just to use your logic. Now if the rights exists to perform this parade, and it does as Anet is totally fine with it, then do tell me why someone should not have a right to voice their concern about the event and the charity and the MEANING behind it??? That person has just as much right, in fact I'd argue more to voice their reasons for not blindly following even though they are of the same demographic as what the event and charity  "allegedly" support. 

 

Thankfully Anet allows all kinds of free speech and some cancel culture warrior can't come along and decide that Valisha's opinion needs to be censored. I honestly wish Anet would vet this Charity now that Valisha has brought to light some of these understandable concerns before allowing it to be hocked here. 

 

Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they should have to find some where else to say it. Especially when ther person has feelings that concern this very subject. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a trans character in Lion's Arch (which is awesome!) named Sia, but when Lionguard Hela walks by and they talk, we hear that both characters are voiced by the same voice actor so it sounds like one person talking to herself. Could you please a different voice actor to record the dialogue for either one of those characters so that it sounds like two different people talking? I am trans and a little bit OCD so it bothers me that I cannot fix this.. Thank you so much for reading this.. Long live Guild Wars and Happy Pride!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...