Tyria Pride 2022!

Lelling.6795

7 hours ago, Akantia.1409 said:

I think this is the first time I've heard of this event and it sounds fun! Is the march on foot or mount? Do you need to turn up in flag colours or is it you can come as you are kind of deal? 💜

The march is on foot 🙂 You can come as you are, but a lot of people do dress up for the occasion!

For clarification, are the EU starting at 'Ebonhawke' as in, 'Stronghold of Ebonhawke' in Fields of Ruin? Probably makes me sound like a total noob haha but I'm not used to referrring to map points in shorthand!

Also finally excited to do this this year. I've managed to miss it for the past 3 years like a foooool. I remember seeing screenshots from this in 2019 and I was so touched by its inclusion, especially it being community-led. Already got my trans flag colours on my armor \o/

• Like 1

Could people please stop using the q slur to refer to LGBT people? As a gay man, use of the "Q slur" is extremely off-putting (right up there with trying to incorporate "cis hets" into LGBT spaces and movements) and effectively implies a weird hyper-online American understanding of LGBT issues, which isn't remotely inclusive to a huge segment of the LGBT community. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rvannith.8364 said:

Could people please stop using the q slur to refer to LGBT people? As a gay man, use of the "Q slur" is extremely off-putting (right up there with trying to incorporate "cis hets" into LGBT spaces and movements) and effectively implies a weird hyper-online American understanding of LGBT issues, which isn't remotely inclusive to a huge segment of the LGBT community. 

Thanks! 

'Queer' is an academic term (queer studies, queer theory, queer theology, queer migration, etc) that is all-encompassing without adding more and more letters to 'LGBT' and makes sure other people aren't just called '+', aka an afterthought. If you're uncomfortable with the label, that's fine, you don't have to call yourself queer, but calling it the 'queer community' is the most inclusive name it has, seeing as 'MOGAI' (marginalised orientations, gender alignment, and intersex) was laughed out of the community for being 'cringe'.

I also certainly hope by saying "trying to incorporate "cis hets" into LGBT spaces and movements" you're not talking about our aro/ace siblings, bisexual people in opposite-gender/sex couples, gender non-conforming people, and non-binary + transgender people who lack desire/need to medically transition, people questioning, exploring, and playing with gender/sexuality, and all similar instances... because that's all this reads as.

Our community is meant to be a welcoming, inclusive one.

That's what the '+', which you neglect to use, for some reason, is for.

That's what 'queer' is for.

• Like 7

On 6/14/2022 at 1:21 AM, lehmunayde.1746 said:

I think you're still missing it- once again, this is a forum pertaining to a videogame, in particular a thread concerning information about a pride event. This is really, really not the place to go into someone's personal trauma, what happened, the reason for the language. If she feels strongly compelled about this, there are therapists who can help her unpack etc. Her posts bring no constructive criticism to this event, and simply make claims about the charity it supports. 

There is a place for her views, it is simply not here. I completely agree with you- people should be allowed to hold and express differing opinions, but there is a time and a place to do so. I'm not advocating that her viewpoint is silenced, only that she thinks about the best place to express it- again, something I clearly conveyed in my previous posts.

Her intention is clearly not the healing and support you talk about, I'm not quite sure where you got that impression. I'm sorry you feel unwelcome by my response, but I'm curious as to what about her 'privileged westoids' rhetoric made you feel at home? I'm sure you can agree that at the very least, civility is important when discussing issues in a time of healing.

I do agree that she was a bit too dismissive of those who may be helped by this event and I do wish that she gave more information to back up her claims, if only for the sake of being more informed about the Rainbow Railroad. But she is also a person who's a part of the LGBTQ+ community which this charity claims to represent and assist. So if she has qualms with the event and the charity which it supports, then this is exactly the place and time for her to give voice to what she believes, and it would be hypocritical to be dismissive of her solely because of that.

Of course, you are also free to put out your own opinion on her views however much you want. But it is my own view that you are, at least in these posts, not maintaining the same civility which you claim is important for discussions such as these, when you say that this is not the place for expressing her views. I do still wish she would have expanded on those views, so that we could know what exactly her concerns are, but claiming that this isn't the place for her to post about them at all isn't very conductive towards discussion either.

• Like 2

I'll be present with the same character (Hunter Featherstone) as always representing gay trans men by the way. Still all dressed up for the event and ready as ever. However I'm still kinda looking for a LGBTQIA+ friendly guild as well. 
https://i.imgur.com/JsCmla6.jpg (playing since 2012 and I still don't know how to get pictures to show prperly in these forums sorry) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NuclearPancakes.3176 said:

I do agree that she was a bit too dismissive of those who may be helped by this event and I do wish that she gave more information to back up her claims, if only for the sake of being more informed about the Rainbow Railroad. But she is also a person who's a part of the LGBTQ+ community which this charity claims to represent and assist. So if she has qualms with the event and the charity which it supports, then this is exactly the place and time for her to give voice to what she believes, and it would be hypocritical to be dismissive of her solely because of that.

Of course, you are also free to put out your own opinion on her views however much you want. But it is my own view that you are, at least in these posts, not maintaining the same civility which you claim is important for discussions such as these, when you say that this is not the place for expressing her views. I do still wish she would have expanded on those views, so that we could know what exactly her concerns are, but claiming that this isn't the place for her to post about them at all isn't very conductive towards discussion either.

You're right, and thanks for approaching this with more consideration than others have done. My issue is essentially just with the tone of the message- it reads more as a vent post than a well-meaning and constructive criticism. It wasn't my intention to silence geniuine discussion, but I definitely think venting in a destructive manner isn't appropriate for this forum. Had she backed up her claims about Rainbow Railroad, or elaborated on what could be done to make this event more accommodating for her, I would have taken no issue.

And the only reason I'm still going on about this 😄 is that the last thing we need right now in the LGBT+ community is division and hatred between different types of people. Divisive language like 'privileged westoids' just drives a wedge between groups of people who all need support and representation- again, not something that should be welcome at a pride event, I think.

Hope this makes sense. As I said in my first post, genuinely wish Valisha well - I'd just like people to act with a bit more respect and integrity here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Rvannith.8364 said:

Thanks! 

Queer is not a slur. You do not have to choose it to identify yourself or refer to the community, but it is a legitimate term that many people prefer for all sorts of reasons. My sexuality and identity is simply "queer". That is how I, and many others, feel most comfortable identifying. You do not get to dictate how others choose to refer to themselves or their community.

The word "queer" is a huge part of our history and trying to erase that is extremely gross. I would strongly recommend you do some research into the history of the word and why it was reclaimed by the community to help you understand why it's still being used today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, Alaska.7348 said:

I just tried donating and JustGiving won't let me. Apparently they block all donations from Europe & UK because of privacy and data protection laws.

Yeah, this is a fun new feature this year, and I'll be seeing if we can fix that for next year or swap to a different fundraising service EU/UK folks can donate via https://tyriapride.com/paypal, all donations count for the prize raffle, and will be forwarded to Rainbow Railroad after the raffle closes in about 5 days ❤️ 

On 6/19/2022 at 11:41 PM, Cynder.2509 said:

Awesome! Thank you all for the event. Had fun today 
Thanks for organizing this every year! ❤️ 

Glad you had fun!

@TheQuickFox.3826 thanks for the vids! Glad you had a good time!