Mastery progression - new idea

I was wondering would it be great if they implemented the XP gain for mastery worldwide instead of region and content lock?

Example would be if we could level up the EoD mastery while doing events in HoT maps and vice versa (of course, if you meet the prerequisites like having expansions and etc.).

So we are not forced to be in specific region/map if we want to lvl different masteries.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7

9 minutes ago, Baldovin.1392 said:

Don't see how it would not be great...

The current situation encourages players to spread out. Otherwise players would only focus on either the newest content or the content that is most rewarding. Do you want areas and content to be even more deserted than they already are? 

I think this is the most healthy for the game overall, even if it is an inconvenience for some individual players. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diovid.9506 said:

The current situation encourages players to spread out. Otherwise players would only focus on either the newest content or the content that is most rewarding. Do you want areas and content to be even more deserted than they already are? 

I think this is the most healthy for the game overall, even if it is an inconvenience for some individual players. 

The current situation mandates that players concentrate on those four newest (as you mentioned) maps. It prevents people from spreading out.

All that the current situation does is discourage people from leaving maps that they would rather not play in.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

I think having masteries tied to maps is generally good for the game so we are "encouraged" to go play in those maps. Although I believe that map currencies and rewards probably do a better job of that, since you can complete masteries and then you don't need to stick in those zones.

I think there are some masteries that could do with being global though. Fishing mastery as an example can only be levelled in Cantha, I'd love to be able to level fishing mastery anywhere when I fish. Make it feel like I'm getting better at the act by doing it rather than grinding events unrelated to the act of fishing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The current situation mandates that players concentrate on those four newest (as you mentioned) maps. It prevents people from spreading out.

All that the current situation does is discourage people from leaving maps that they would rather not play in.

If you don't want to play new content then don't, but then it wouldn't make much sense if you could get that specific content's "masteries".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If you don't want to play new content then don't, but then it wouldn't make much sense if you could get that specific content's "masteries".

If we are going to talk about what makes sense....

Why does using my new turtle mount in Orr not advance her masteries but not using the mount in Kaineng does? Same question for Skiff and Jade Bot. 

ANet has designed the system to not make sense. It is designed to encourage people to play on maps they would rather not. If someone already desires to play on a given map then they will do so regardless of masteries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

31 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

If we are going to talk about what makes sense....

Why does using my new turtle mount in Orr not advance her masteries but not using the mount in Kaineng does? Same question for Skiff and Jade Bot. 

So because it doesn't make "even more sense", somehow it's a reason for it to... make less sense? Is that really what you're going for as a ""response"" to what I wrote?

But sure, if that's what you want, then make a thread about it and I'll support this idea, no problem for me here. tbh I don't see a huge need for that, but you've made a decent point about it making sense, so good job.

ANet has designed the system to not make sense.

Getting mastery points and experience related to specific masteries bound to the relevant content those masteries are tied to does make sense though -if only due to the masteries signifying the "mastering of the new environment and its elements"- so I'm not really sure what you're saying here. The only psuedo-point you've attempted to make here is that they could make even more sense, but that changes nothing about what I said nor is it a reason for them to make less sense than they do now.

It is designed to encourage people to play on maps they would rather not. If someone already desires to play on a given map then they will do so regardless of masteries.

Ok, so do so regardless of masteries. As in play whatever you want and just don't use the masteries.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1