Gaining altitude with Griffon

Hi everyone,

I've been recently going crazy over the Griffon, I watched a few videos of the stuff you can do with it, and I decided I wanted to get one. Now that I have one I can say its quite fun, and def one of the best flying mounts I've used in a video game, even in ARK the flying mounts felt clunky, stagnant, even that games Griffon. Here in GW2 I plan to master the Griffon as much as I can, I've already gotten gold in every PoF Griffon adventure.

One thing that's alluded me is how I can gain altitude, I watched two videos on how to do this, did both methods, and didn't get good results. The first video is by this chick, she comes to a full stop, and still manages to get back to where she originally started maybe 30 meters above her.  The 2nd video shows this dude using masteries in the Living World Season 4 path to gain altitude. I tried both methods, and only managed to barely gain additional altitude using the first method of dive + climb + flap, I started at the Imperators Waypoint at the Black Citadel, and after going down the ramp the the level just below the teleporter, I managed to gain altitude to make it to the initial TP level, even though I started a level lower, but it took me forever to do. 

Is my problem technique? Or lack of the Living World Season 4 masteries? I read up on the Bond of Vigor mastery and it seems like it COULD make or break gaining altitude with Griffon, and the 2nd video even uses it to gain altitude, so me not having it could be the whole issue here.
 I'll post the two videos below so you can see what I'm referring too  

First Video, where the person gains back an INSANEEEEE amount of altitude in no time, compared to me bumbling around for 5 minutes to only get 3 meters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhhg5Rfihxk

Second Video, using the mastery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hFTopCEm-U

Edited by SamuelW.2685
  • Like 4

My suggestion would be to flap while you are diving, not after you climb back up. Flapping while you dive accelerates you dramatically which ought to slingshot you back up into the air when you pull up. It's possible to flap more than once if you dive from a high enough starting point, but once should be sufficient for most stunts.

1.) Dive
2.) Flap
3.) Climb
4.) Do Wild Maneuvers And Frighten NPCs

Also, it won't hurt to eventually get Bond of Vigor, as that's a useful tool for when you need just a little more oomph.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

There is also the jade bot mount energy upgrade

I didn't even know the Jade Bot was a thing, even though I own EoD, I might give it a look. But after doing research it looks like it takes a bit to get the stam regen buff part, so I might just practice with the griffon more instead, I'm slowly getting better.

23 minutes ago, SamuelW.2685 said:

I didn't even know the Jade Bot was a thing, even though I own EoD, I might give it a look. But after doing research it looks like it takes a bit to get the stam regen buff part, so I might just practice with the griffon more instead, I'm slowly getting better.

You just need a t1 core(could be bought on TP) and mount boost 1 is also super cheap on the tp, 2s60c, mount boost 2 requires mount boost 1 plus some research nodes, it is only mount boost 3 that requires some luck.

The first time a character receives a core(through mail or TP) they will get a free research kit and you can use that to get the 150 notes for mount boost 2

Edited by Khisanth.2948

I'm not 100% sure if this actually has an impact here but maybe it does. Are you using your "swoop" ability (default 1) to dive or "dive" ability. I think swoop actually has more animation frames. You should be using dive. 

During dive, when you flap to superspeed.  Are you holding flap or just tapping it? Just a tap is enough to go to super speed. 

Otherwise its probably just timing of you abilities. As you can see in the first video she is very precise. Her stamina never reaches 100%, you dont need 100% for a flap. You dont need EOD jade bot for this.

• 4 months later...

It's because you cannot gain more altitude than your initial starting point, only a few extra meters and this is intentional so you can't break the game's boundaries by doing the trick over and over. The griffon was actually created with this in mind.

It is similar to the Skyscale in that if you try to get higher than your flight meter allows you, you will descend until you refill it with Bond of Vigor or Wall Launch.

In other words, the moment you mount your griffon at a certain height you restrict the mount from going higher so you can only move below that "flight space".

When you hold down dive while pulling up, your stamina recharges much faster.

This way you can get 3 flaps in while pulling up (tapping spacebar to flap, so you can flap at 66% endurance)

Takes a little practise since you need to coördinate multiple keys.

What I do to gain altitude:

- Dive and flap
- Immediatly pull up and flap 3 times - but keep dive pressed as well
- Repeat untill you have the desired results.

I would also take the time to check your keybinds. Make sure you have the dive and pullup (mount skill 1 and 2) on keys that are easy and natural for you to use. I never got great results on the default keys, so I tried a lot of combinations and found my prevered way. I could tell you I have pull up on left shift and dive on mousekey, but I really recommend finding keys that work for YOU.