The Gates of Arah Defense Event

It is insane how toxic people on these forums are. Down voting me because I stated that there were 3 people who actively went out of there way for 10 hours at a minimum, AFKing and camping at the same spot between the event, to only do one event, just to make it succeed so that others couldn't progress in their collection.

Why is it so difficult for people here to  understand that these 3 people who knowingly knew what they were doing, stated what they were doing in chat, and griefed a bunch of players? They understood the flaw in ANet's mistake, and exploited that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I thought Anet learned their lesson about requiring events to fail? Guess not.

Yes. Requiring events to fail was a bad idea 7 years ago and is a bad idea now.

I'm guessing some developers have memories less than 7 years or weren't around at the time to remember.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ogwom.7940 said:

Why do you put brackets on "trolls"? Why don't you believe us? Do you even know what a troll is?

Because I haven't seen these actions personally, so I don't want to call them trolls based on hearsay.  Regardless, the point is that players should report them if their actions go against the CoC.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

If the "trolls" are bragging about it in map chat, then report them.

What do you think Anet will do with that report.  I bet they will do nothing.  Block and move on.

It's the people demanding the event fails that are the trolls that should be reported. 

Edited by DarcShriek.5829
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

What do you think Anet will do with that report.  I bet they will do nothing.  Block and move on.

It's the people demanding the event fails that are the trolls that should be reported. 

If something like this is really an issue, and enough players report it, Anet will probably take notice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Disclaimer- I dont ever intend on making the Zhaitan Legendary.

That being said this is just another voice to add to the others- locking ANYTHING behind failing an event is a terrible idea and always will be. It actively encourages griefing which goes contrary to what GW2 had always been about and I'll be shocked if this isn't rectified sharpish. Certainly if it isn't then this is one of the few occasions where ANET are willing to foster animosity within the playerbase for the sake of a Collection which is very unlike them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Because I haven't seen these actions personally, so I don't want to call them trolls based on hearsay.  Regardless, the point is that players should report them if their actions go against the CoC.

They won't report it, because those actions do not go against CoC. Not unless there's something that is actionable being spoken in the map chat anyway (but in that case i bet the other side would get hit as well).

That is the main issue here. Anet devs have created a situation where some players can inconvenience/annoy other players while playing the game exactly as Anet intended. And where some players in order to do a collection Anet designed, have to play the game in a way Anet themselves mentioned is not intended.

All the talk about trolling is just smoke and mirrors that is pulling our attention from the real culprit.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, SexyMofo.8923 said:

Agree. This company keeps making the same silly mistakes. The only griefer and troll here is anet. 

I already said that ANet made a mistake in my first post. To discount that actual griefer/trolls in the playerbase exist is absolutely absurd.

Everyone who is downvoting me is literally claiming that it isn't possible for there to be a single troll to ruin the event for others for 10 hours straight minimum, while explaining how they are trolling, bragging about it and saying that they are going to do it again for the next round.

This happened yesterday, I don't know what the situation is like currently.  As I already said, you could have gone at the time I told you guys to go. That was your proof. The downvoters and the people who want to debate the semantics of the word "troll" , had that opportunity, but they chose to not do that, and continue using bad faith arguing tactics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

They won't report it, because those actions do not go against CoC. Not unless there's something that is actionable being spoken in the map chat anyway (but in that case i bet the other side would get hit as well).

That is the main issue here. Anet devs have created a situation where some players can inconvenience/annoy other players while playing the game exactly as Anet intended. And where some players in order to do a collection Anet designed, have to play the game in a way Anet themselves mentioned is not intended.

All the talk about trolling is just smoke and mirrors that is pulling our attention from the real culprit.

I agree, though people attacking me and not wanting to believe that trolls exist in GW2, is the actual culprit distracting the situation.

As I outlined earlier, ANet made a mistake. I gave the suggestion on how to fix that mistake or how it could have been prevented. I also gave an example of one of the negative impacts this mistake has caused. That being people actively going out of their to troll the event. I am NOT talking about players who didn't know about the collection step that was related to this event failing. Those people are okay and good. They actually listen and sit out to let it fail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ogwom.7940 said:

Everyone who is downvoting me is literally claiming that it isn't possible for there to be a single troll to ruin the event for others for 10 hours straight minimum, while explaining how they are trolling, bragging about it and saying that they are going to do it again for the next round.

I could just bring my necros on several accounts and have them sit where the boss spawns if that’ll put to rest that there are trolls who purposely complete that event within the game rules while knowingly, and possibly intentionally, to gate people from completing that collection step. I honestly don’t actually plan on doing that by the way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ogwom.7940 said:

I agree, though people attacking me and not wanting to believe that trolls exist in GW2, is the actual culprit distracting the situation.

As I outlined earlier, ANet made a mistake. I gave the suggestion on how to fix that mistake or how it could have been prevented. I also gave an example of one of the negative impacts this mistake has caused. That being people actively going out of their to troll the event. I am NOT talking about players who didn't know about the collection step that was related to this event failing. Those people are okay and good. They actually listen and sit out to let it fail.

Oh I know there are trolls used to battle a legendary one in ascalon catacombs back in the day.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Cave_Troll

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Ogwom.7940 said:

I am NOT talking about players who didn't know about the collection step that was related to this event failing. Those people are okay and good. They actually listen and sit out to let it fail.

And that's one thing you do miss here. Mere fact that someone knows about the collection step, but is not willing to let the event fail, does not automatically make that person a troll. Sure, someone who intentionally completes that event for the sole purpose of preventing you from getting a collection would be trolling, but someone that does the event simply because they do not care to subject the way they play the game to your needs is not. Basically, you do not have any right to demand from other players to let you fail the event, and they have no obligation to help you out with the collection. That is exactly why it is important for the game designer to not create a PvE content where desires of different players may clash.

In short: other players are not obligated to play nice with you. It's on the game's design to make them wish to. Or at least to not make them want to act in ways that might accidentally kitten you over.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

53 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And that's one thing you do miss here. Mere fact that someone knows about the collection step, but is not willing to let the event fail, does not automatically make that person a troll. Sure, someone who intentionally completes that event for the sole purpose of preventing you from getting a collection would be trolling, but someone that does the event simply because they do not care to subject the way they play the game to your needs is not. Basically, you do not have any right to demand from other players to let you fail the event, and they have no obligation to help you out with the collection. That is exactly why it is important for the game designer to not create a PvE content where desires of different players may clash.

In short: other players are not obligated to play nice with you. It's on the game's design to make them wish to. Or at least to not make them want to act in ways that might accidentally kitten you over.

But he said severel times that these people talk out in map-chat and start doing all events in regard just to prevent people from getting their stuff.

When this is not trolling, what then?

I fully understand the frustration he has with these people and with you here in the forum. Misread stuff once, fine, happens, but misread stuff over and over again? Just stop and move to another thread ..

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But he said severel times that these people talk out in map-chat and start doing all events in regard just to prevent people from getting their stuff.

When this is not trolling, what then?

I'm not going to argue about that one specific case. I wasn't there, after all. I was addressing that latter comment, which shows that for that poster anyone that does not "listen and sit out to let it fail" is a troll. Which is completely untrue.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

21 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I'm not going to argue about that one specific case. I wasn't there, after all. I was addressing that latter comment, which shows that for that poster anyone that does not "listen and sit out to let it fail" is a troll. Which is completely untrue.

This is how you did interpret the quotet thing? Lmao ...

I know this forum was strange when it's comes to interpreting written stuff, but this ... wow. When you want to see bad stuff, you see only bad stuff.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

This is how you did interpret the quotet thing? Lmao ...

I know this forum was strange when it's comes to interpreting written stuff, but this ... wow. When you want to see bad stuff, you see only bad stuff.

The poster literally said that though. This is not a matter of interpretation. He stated that anyone who does not act as he dictates in this situation is a troll. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No, that is a strawman. Did I say the words, "anyone that does not 'listen and sit out to let it fail' is a troll."? No I did not say that or even imply that. 

I already explained the context, will not explain it again.

I already explained, people who did not know that this was required for a collection aren't the problem. I explained this already several times. I have no problem with those people as they are innocent. I already said they were not bad people.

You are going out of your way to argue that it was absolutely not a case of trolling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The poster literally said that though. This is not a matter of interpretation. He stated that anyone who does not act as he dictates in this situation is a troll. 

Give a quote of where I "stated" that anyone who doesn't listen to me is a troll. If I literally said that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Not really correct IF what OP says is indeed true. Completing that event is perfectly fine (regardless of those players knowledge about the need to fail it to complete collection -they can know about that collection and still want to complete the event), but if they keep spamming in map chat that they're doing it on purpose, solely to troll others (which is what OP keeps saying) then it seems like it's easly reportable. Which is why what @kharmin.7683said is true, IF what OP said is indeed factual and not just some misinterpretation to paint those players as "baddies" then it probably falls under the player harassment and is reportable as far as I understand it.

...btw, I think this thread was merged with another, so when I'm saying "OP", I mean Ogwom.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not really correct IF what OP says is indeed true. Completing that event is perfectly fine (regardless of those players knowledge about the need to fail it to complete collection -they can know about that collection and still want to complete the event), but if they keep spamming in map chat that they're doing it on purpose, solely to troll others (which is what OP keeps saying) then it seems like it's easly reportable. Which is why what @kharmin.7683said is true, IF what OP said is indeed factual and not just some misinterpretation to paint those players as "baddies" then it probably falls under the player harassment and is reportable as far as I understand it.

Yes, thank you.  That's correct.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2