The Gates of Arah Defense Event

56 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not really correct IF what OP says is indeed true. Completing that event is perfectly fine (regardless of those players knowledge about the need to fail it to complete collection -they can know about that collection and still want to complete the event), but if they keep spamming in map chat that they're doing it on purpose, solely to troll others (which is what OP keeps saying) then it seems like it's easly reportable. Which is why what @kharmin.7683said is true, IF what OP said is indeed factual and not just some misinterpretation to paint those players as "baddies" then it probably falls under the player harassment and is reportable as far as I understand it.

That's actually not true. We've had few (well, a lot actually) of those cases before, during different farm trains (i.e. in frostgorge), or during earlier cases of Anet using temple attack events for collections. And Anet's stance in all previous cases was that no matter their reasons, noone can be actioned for trying to complete the event. Even if they were clearly doing it to spite others. The only cases where Anet got involved is when chat turned ugly and someone said something that was actionable by itself.

And in case of farm events that depended on farmers "resetting" an event chain by failing one of the steps, the only thing arguments about it ever achieved was Anet nerfing rewards for the whole chain so noone would care about farming it anymore.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That's actually not true. We've had few (well, a lot actually) of those cases before, during different farm trains (i.e. in frostgorge), or during earlier cases of Anet using temple attack events for collections. And Anet's stance in all previous cases was that no matter their reasons, noone can be actioned for trying to complete the event. Even if they were clearly doing it to spite others. The only cases where Anet got involved is when chat turned ugly and someone said something that was actionable by itself.

Yeah, but you seem to not understand that in this case (again, all considering what OP says is true) it's not about "completing events", it's about targetting players and actively taunting them in chat while completing events.

25 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Good. 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yeah, but you seem to not understand that in this case (again, all considering what OP says is true) it's not about "completing events", it's about targetting players and actively taunting them in chat while completing events.

No, i am understanding that. And i am telling you how they've been solving the exact same situations in all the previous similar cases.

Yes, even intentional trolling along the very same lines (indeed, even in the very same event) is something that in the past happened more than once. And Anet devs always ruled that completing the events, even if it's being done specifically and only to spite some players, is not against the rules.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No, i am understanding that. And i am telling you how they've been solving the exact same situations in all the previous similar cases.

The complaint was problably more in line with "I want the event to fail, I'm telling others to stop completing it, but they keep doing it, anet pls punish them". Meanwhile, again, this is not strictly about "completing event that I want to fail", but instead about the actions surrounding it, which OP brough up here. These are not the same things, so no.

Yes, even intentional trolling along the very same lines (indeed, even in the very same event) is something that in the past happened more than once. And Anet devs always ruled that completing the events, even if it's being done specifically and only to spite some players, is not against the rules.

Ok, just throw the link here. (and, again, I keep repeating it's not strictly about "completing events", but about what those players are writing in chat while doing it)

And let me guess... All there's left about it are vague memories?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7

I play in Orr a lot. As in every day. Since the game launched. My favorite area of the game. If I am not in WvW working toward my last two pieces of legendary armor or in strikes with my guild there is a decent chance I can be found there. This includes since the Zhaitan skins were added. 

I have seen far more toxic chat from those waiting for the event failure than from anyone doing the event. When there has been harsh commentary from someone completing the vent directed at those desiring a failure it has primarily been in response to the same.

But perhaps others have been playing in different instances of the map than I....though I have even joined waiting for failure squads while on the map just to see whats going on...and no, I have not done the event since all of this started because I dont like feeding ANet's sadistic desire to put players against players for the sole purpose of causing misery (I normally do not ascribe to malice what could be better explained by stupidity but ANet has years of experience showing the inherent problems of this sort of thing and continues to do it anyway...the only remaining explanation is that they get off on the drama).

Edit: Just to clarify, when I said I play in Orr I meant Cursed Shore specifically. It is my favorite map in the game.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

43 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I have seen far more toxic chat from those waiting for the event failure than from anyone doing the event. When there has been harsh commentary from someone completing the vent directed at those desiring a failure it has primarily been in response to the same.

Exactly. It's ridiculous to think that screaming insults and worse at people is going to get their cooperation. It's more likely to encourage the opposite reaction.

Not all of us keep up to date on items we're not interested in. Why am I less important and have to be the one to stop what I'm doing? I don't owe anyone anything.

Reminds me of the whole skill points vs meta conflict. I mean sure, I would love to find an emptier map but the game doesn't allow that.

This game should NEVER tie anything to failure, ever again. There is absolutely nothing good that can result from it.

Cursed Shore could use a revamp as well.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

I think Anet just needs to get rid of the defense events in Orr and just allow the meta chains to reset each time. There are some collections that require players to do the full meta chains such as Acolyte of Dwayna and Treasure Hunter and its not possible with players that just keep defending these events. I know this is something that's been suggested many times before but if they are going to keep doing collections like this then maybe it is time to do away with the defense events so there's no trolling or arguments. I know its not a simple solution to do but I think it is worth looking into.

Edited by Lady Mimic.3247
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2