What will EoD be remembered for?

31 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Still, I can't help but feel that the peak of EoD has been delayed to Q2 in some way. Anet's saying that it's their best selling expansion and then numbers are much like any normal quarter, so that doesn't make sense. I don't think NcSoft is lying about that since it would be lying to their investors as well and it would be a rather obvious lie.

Where did they wrote that EoD is their best selling expansion? I have not found any sources for that.

Anet wrote in their studio update from March 22: "This growth has helped Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons outsell our previous expansion, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire. " .

NCsoft reports pre-sales revenue in the release quarter. If we compare the release quarter of PoF (Q3/2017) with the release quarter of EoD (Q1/2022), the EoD revenue is higher then the PoF revenue. Even if it would be even slightly higher, it still would not be a lie.

Anet made that above statement at March 22. Thats less than a month since EoD release and nearly in the middle of Q1/2022. So it is obvious that they did not compare full quarters. How exactely they compared HoT and PoF revenue is unclear. But it seems they tried to compare it in a way to be able to make a positive statement without lying.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/28/2022 at 6:49 PM, Luci.7018 said:

To be fair , the raiders created the division , with their longterm discussion that they don't want 1111 content .

And now that the dust have settled and most don't do it , they demand more rewards (lol)

Who are the "raiders" you are blaming for Anets (bad) decisions?

I know a lot of players that like challenging content, that do fractal-cm and raid-cm but none of them asked to have something like the DE-meta as an open-world-meta.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

On 5/29/2022 at 1:45 AM, Kozumi.5816 said:

HoT was the most MMO expac and had the highest revenue GW2 has ever made.

The highest revenue GW2 has ever made was at release of the base game.

Sure, HoT had the biggest revenue from all expacs. But that is only half the truth. It is also true that a lot of players left GW2 after HoT because of HoT and as a result the revenue went lower from quarter to quarter after HoT. This down-trend ended with the release of PoF. Thats the revenue metrics. 

Now, what exactly were you trying to prove with the HoT earnings/metrics?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zok.4956 said:

Where did they wrote that EoD is their best selling expansion? I have not found any sources for that.

Anet wrote in their studio update from March 22: "This growth has helped Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons outsell our previous expansion, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire. " .

NCsoft reports pre-sales revenue in the release quarter. If we compare the release quarter of PoF (Q3/2017) with the release quarter of EoD (Q1/2022), the EoD revenue is higher then the PoF revenue. Even if it would be even slightly higher, it still would not be a lie.

Anet made that above statement at March 22. Thats less than a month since EoD release and nearly in the middle of Q1/2022. So it is obvious that they did not compare full quarters. How exactely they compared HoT and PoF revenue is unclear. But it seems they tried to compare it in a way to be able to make a positive statement without lying.

Well I thought that's what they said, but just the same, the numbers for Q1 do not support that it outsold even PoF. The spike for PoF came in Q4. PoF came out in Q3 but at the very end of the last month (Sept. 22nd) and then the sales spiked in Q4. How else would you explain that spike in Q4 of 2017?

EoD came out end of Februari and that was a month before Q1 ended...so there would've been at least a spike similar to Q4 2017 if it had outsold PoF. I mean the quote was from March 22nd so that's within Q1 that they said that.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

The spike for PoF came in Q4. PoF came out in Q3 but at the very end of the last month (Sept. 22nd) and then the sales spiked in Q4. How else would you explain that spike in Q4 of 2017?

I agree. I think, because of  HoT the PoF pre-order revenue was not that high, the revenue in the quarters between HoT and PoF was very low (players left after HoT) and also a lot of players waited a few days after the release of PoF to see how well it would be received before they purchased PoF. And more players coming back with an expac usually means more gem-store sales in the following weeks. But that is just my opinion, I have no proof for that.

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

the numbers for Q1 do not support that it outsold even PoF.

I think you are probably right if we would compare, for example, "pre-order sales plus sales in the first 10 weeks after a release" if we would have this internal numbers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Who are the "raiders" you are blaming for Anets (bad) decisions?

I know a lot of players that like challenging content, that do fractal-cm and raid-cm but none of them asked to have something like the DE-meta as an open-world-meta.

People that rather than agreeing that there is a problem (just like the prices of the Zhaitan Legendary...after 3 days we got a response)  , they preferred long circular conversations , like here or here   and other locked threads that they don't want 1111 content and the rest of the community should step up their game rather than crying on the forums .

The good part , is that  if the majority won't ever participate ever again  , then we can create another Meta event that will occupy the same "time" as Soo Won or release a 2.0 sorter version  .

Edit: Hmm we could buff the rewards and the damage of the old Soo won , so raiders can play once per week the Raids + Strikes and then occupy the open world (as a pro only Drizzlewood event )

While the 2.0 version will be the more casual one

Edited by Luci.7018
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

53 minutes ago, Luci.7018 said:

Edit: Hmm we could buff the rewards and the damage of the old Soo won , so raiders can play once per week the Raids + Strikes and then occupy the open world (as a pro only Drizzlewood event )

While the 2.0 version will be the more casual one

Incoming threads about feeling excluded from Raid-Soo-Won and asking for other methods of getting those rewards.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 8

10 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Incoming threads about feeling excluded from Raid-Soo-Won and asking for other methods of getting those rewards.

If both events offer T5/T6 mats + ASH , then after a while both events will be not rewarding enough . Just like Drytop/Silverwaste .

But , at least both parties can make money and have fun for a while

Edited by Luci.7018
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We had a similar thread a few weeks ago. I'm going to copy & paste my previous response:

Positive connotation:

HoT: best casual map metas
PoF: some truly beautiful places
EoD: great dramatic composition

Negative connotation:

HoT: boring plant stuff
PoF: not Nightfall
EoD: definitely not Factions

On 5/26/2022 at 6:22 AM, mythical.6315 said:

Massive number of bugs

Unfortunately, I can't help but second that sentiment...

3 hours ago, Jagblade.4627 said:

The most mediocre and disappointing execution of the grand finale of a story a decade in the making, and arguably some of the worst and most questionable writing the game has ever seen.

Questionable how? I hope you are not referring to the small epilogue.

In my humble opinion, the writing exceeded The Icebrood Saga's by far in terms of quality. I at least see that as a major improvement. I thought it was decently done, I even had tears in my eyes when Soo-Won passed away.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Out selling and actually enjoying the content is two totally different things.. EoD was very much in demand as a pre order as so many GW1 customers loved Cantha and so many have been waiting on it for years.. So it was anticipated before hand, which is why it probably sold so well.

What we got though.. well you guys can decide on that.

5 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

Willbender, Harbinger, Mechanist, Specter, Virtuoso, Untamed.

My version..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The first expansion I ever refunded. 😕 I'm probably not going to come back till it's on sale.

I guess it's not bad if you're desperate for some open world MMO content, but as somebody who has been around since core I know that the listed masteries aren't worth 30$. Now to my knowledge as far as I got in Arborstone, EoD's masteries are a problem because you don't have to do ANY of them to progress through the expansion. At least with Heart of Thorns, you had to level up nuhoch wallows, poison lore, bouncing mushrooms, and gliding to explore the maps. To top everything off, I've heard a lot of drama about the meta on Dragon's End map and don't want to deal with it.

There are tons of other games I'd rather spend 30-40$ on for my ps5 like Forbidden West, Elden Ring, Lego Skywalker, and Forspoken in October.

Edited by vicky.9751
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Out selling and actually enjoying the content is two totally different things.. EoD was very much in demand as a pre order as so many GW1 customers loved Cantha and so many have been waiting on it for years.. So it was anticipated before hand, which is why it probably sold so well.

I agree with your statement and will add: The player numbers increased a lot in 2020 and 2021 (because of Covid-19 and also because of things like i.e. legendary armory and the "return-to" events in 2021 where you not only get a free legendary trinket but also a free pre-cursor for an EoD legendary weapon) and this increased player numbers also helped increasing the EoD pre-orders a lot.

9 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

What we got though.. well you guys can decide on that.

My guess: Due to the mixed reactions regarding EoD, Anet very early on announced/confirmed the next expansion, the return of season 1 and the next season 6 of LW as a form of damage control to keep players in the game.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

LS1: Disney acquires Lion's Arch via hostile takeover.
LS2: RIBA 24/7, baby.
HoT: You think the core game is too easy? Be careful what you wish for.
LS3: Apologies for HoT and cleaning up some loose ends.
PoF: Saving the villains from each other.
LS4: Great, now we have to kill that dragon we just saved.
IBS: We apologize for the delays. Screw COVID.
End of Dragons: The worst of everything in one place.

Seriously. New Kaineng is an awful map; you'd think the most advanced civilization in the world could have figured out basic urban planning. Echovald takes the impassible paths of TD and stretches them vertically. Bugs all over the place blocking progress in the game; yesterday I had one in "Weight of the World" and two more in the KO strike that made them impossible to finish. The maps feel practically empty of people despite being so new, making it difficult to do events. Arborstone was a mistake; our forward camp should have been established at the start of the story, and it shouldn't have been placed such that it ended up sucking everyone out of the maps. The DE meta is a literal monster. IMHO Cantha needs a serious overhaul, because right now it's my least favorite content in the game.

Edited by Jimbru.6014
Typos and OCD
  • Like 17
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Jimbru.6014 said:

LS1: Disney acquires Lion's Arch via hostile takeover.
LS2: RIBA 24/7, baby.
HoT: You think the core game is too easy? Be careful what you wish for.
LS3: Apologies for HoT and cleaning up some loose ends.
PoF: Saving the villains from each other.
LS4: Great, now we have to kill that dragon we just saved.
IBS: We apologize for the delays. Screw COVID.
End of Dragons: The worst of everything in one place.

Seriously. New Kaineng is an awful map; you'd think the most advanced civilization in the world could have figured out basic urban planning. Echovald, takes the impassible depths of TD and stretches them vertically. Bugs all over the place blocking progress in the game; yesterday I had one in "Weight of the World" and two more in the KO strike that made them impossible to finish. The maps feel practically empty of people despite being so new, making it difficult to do events. Arborstone was a mistake; if we were going to establish a forward camp it should have been at the start of the story, and it shouldn't have been placed such that it ended up sucking everyone out of the maps. The DS meta is a literal monster. IMHO Cantha needs a serious overhaul, because right now it's my least favorite content in the game.

I personally found LS3 even harder than HoT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 5/31/2022 at 12:09 PM, Jimbru.6014 said:

Seriously. New Kaineng is an awful map; you'd think the most advanced civilization in the world could have figured out basic urban planning. 

Yeah I feel exactly the same. They could improve it so much without the teleporters that have 3 pages of destinations with names you have to wonder where they are at. Just reduce it to a few key teleport locations in there that you can choose from easily and are clearly marked.

And add more ziplines. I mean how could they not install more ziplines at more strategic places? They have such tall buildings which makes navigating through the city so much more tedious.

The raptor taxi's were fun in Shing Jea and practical but are not well placed at all in Kaineng. Either get rid of them or place them better. And perhaps put a waypoint near the north lab for the meta. It's total bs that there isn't one near there. Anyways, that concludes my sort of rant lol.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2022 at 12:05 AM, Jagblade.4627 said:

The most mediocre and disappointing execution of the grand finale of a story a decade in the making, and arguably some of the worst and most questionable writing the game has ever seen.

Can't disagree this should have been the BIG finale, a lot of players are very disappointed that after 4-5 years we get this skeleton....I was kinda shocked to hear that Anet already announced the 4th expansion when EOD released, now I understand why after I played EOD. Anet knew EOD would not cut it because expectations where HIGH and they simply did not deliver. So by announcing the 4th expansion that early is a sign towards the player base that GW2 is still alive and being worked on.. I only ask myself for how long....Lets hope they fix EOD and give us a real expansion next time!.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1