New Guild Decorations For Dragon Bash

Rubi Bayer.8493

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi all, I have a message from Lead QA Analyst Brett Nellermoe:

Greetings Dragon Bashers!

Since the initial release of Roller Beetle Racing, players have been interested in making their own racecourses. We’ve loved seeing all the courses players map out on the open world, and the racing events in their guild halls. A common request has been to give players some way to provide the functionality of energy boosters. I’m very pleased to say that is now possible using the “Racing Power-Up Projector” decoration! Additionally, we have added a “Racing Checkpoint Projector” to help define racecourses.

Some notes about how these decorations work:

•  Placing the decorations will have the effect (powerup or checkpoint) at your cursor, and a hologram projector floating far above the effect
  • There is no collision near the effect, but the floating hologram projector has collision
    • The floating projector is what you will target to delete the decoration if needed
  • Approaching near the effect on the ground will cause it to briefly disappear and play an effect on your character
    • This animation change is player specific, so one character entering a checkpoint or collecting a powerup will not change the decorations visuals or functionality for any other player
    • The powerup will fully refill your mount energy if you are mounted, and apply a short duration of Alacrity whether you are mounted or not
    • The hologram projector will remain visible during this time
    • After a short cooldown, the effect will re-appear, ready to be used again

You may have also noticed that this festival release includes more new guild decorations than usual. We took the inclusion of the powerup and checkpoint decorations as an opportunity to give players more pieces to make racecourses. We have added 10 new track parts, making a total of 12 new decorations for this festival! The holographic track decorations come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and orientations with shiny hologram visuals. Our hope is that with the addition of these crafted decorations, players will have more options for making guild hall racing events!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

From the biggest beetle racing guild on EU: thank you so much for this! We will be able to make so many new racetracks now that we can set boosts with shorter intervals. This is huge!

Edit: it seems that the holographic version of the curved ramp is not added in, will it be added at a later stage?

Edited by Garfried.7295
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

As another request for guildhall, can we get dummies or golems in to them so that we can do to the guild hall and practice dps rotations. It would also make it more usefull over all for people to come there together and figure things out. And comunities could even make events out of it and have dps training in their guildhall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I read this yesterday and was not especially interested...I like beetle racing but haven't built one in a guild hall, I'd rather have more EoD decorations.  However...

I really like these, they're fun!  Now I want to work on a race track in the guild hall.  Nicely done!

2 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

That honestly further exasperates the problem, they can come up with so many track decorations, but cant make more than two expansion decorations? I feel like their priorities are off.

Except that this is something the players have been requesting for years, since the first Racetrack pieces were added 4 years ago. 

I'll be the first to say that I'd like to see more Canthan-themed decorations related to the EoD release, but it's only been 4 months.  It's very possible that these new racetrack additions have been in the works for a while now, and for as much as I'd like to see more Canthan-themed decorations, I don't want them rushed and unpolished either.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:02 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi all, I have a message from Lead QA Analyst Brett Nellermoe:

Greetings Dragon Bashers!

Since the initial release of Roller Beetle Racing, players have been interested in making their own racecourses. We’ve loved seeing all the courses players map out on the open world, and the racing events in their guild halls. A common request has been to give players some way to provide the functionality of energy boosters. I’m very pleased to say that is now possible using the “Racing Power-Up Projector” decoration! Additionally, we have added a “Racing Checkpoint Projector” to help define racecourses.

Some notes about how these decorations work:

•  Placing the decorations will have the effect (powerup or checkpoint) at your cursor, and a hologram projector floating far above the effect
  • There is no collision near the effect, but the floating hologram projector has collision
    • The floating projector is what you will target to delete the decoration if needed
  • Approaching near the effect on the ground will cause it to briefly disappear and play an effect on your character
    • This animation change is player specific, so one character entering a checkpoint or collecting a powerup will not change the decorations visuals or functionality for any other player
    • The powerup will fully refill your mount energy if you are mounted, and apply a short duration of Alacrity whether you are mounted or not
    • The hologram projector will remain visible during this time
    • After a short cooldown, the effect will re-appear, ready to be used again

You may have also noticed that this festival release includes more new guild decorations than usual. We took the inclusion of the powerup and checkpoint decorations as an opportunity to give players more pieces to make racecourses. We have added 10 new track parts, making a total of 12 new decorations for this festival! The holographic track decorations come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and orientations with shiny hologram visuals. Our hope is that with the addition of these crafted decorations, players will have more options for making guild hall racing events!

First let me say THANK YOU!!! as we in the beetle-racing community have been asking for this for years and it feels great to be heard!!  However, I do have one complaint: that these new decorations will be locked behind Dragon Bash festival rewards (zhaitaffy), and the festival is only available 3 weeks a year.  I realize that zhaitaffy can be purchased year-round on the BLTP, but given the popularity of building these tracks and large number of pieces used in their creation, there is likely to be a surge in price, which once again places a far heavier burden on smaller guilds.

I would suggest augmenting the recipe used in the creation of these pieces to either require no zhaitaffy or significantly less zhaitaffy, and in exchange requiring use of the racing tokens which are used to purchase the original racetrack pieces, which could potentially be traded in with https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fion for a new item used in the recipe.

• Sad 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:52 AM, Garfried.7295 said:

From the biggest beetle racing guild on EU: thank you so much for this! We will be able to make so many new racetracks now that we can set boosts with shorter intervals. This is huge!

Edit: it seems that the holographic version of the curved ramp is not added in, will it be added at a later stage?

Indeed a much awaited updates for the GH. Now we can craft our own tracks and love the glassy look. Bravo ANet!

Just to add to the above quote, a full set of existing tracks has 11 different pieces and only 10 holographic ones were added in the updates. The holographic Curved Ramp is missing. I hope it will be added at a later stage? Pretty please? And also I am nitpicking here, the Holo Track Left Curve is using the Upward Left Curve icon.

And, I have reported in the Bug section that some of the Checkpoint Projectors placed in the Hall disappeared after some time or when I leave the GH. For example, I placed 6 Checkpoints and 3 disappeared from the track and went back into to my guild storage when I left the Hall and revisited a few hours later. I repeated the process and the same 3 disappeared again. I hope this will be look into.

Nevertheless, thank you for adding the power boosts and checkpoint bubbles 🥰

Edited by Mil.3562
more comments added

13 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Except that this is something the players have been requesting for years, since the first Racetrack pieces were added 4 years ago. 

I'll be the first to say that I'd like to see more Canthan-themed decorations related to the EoD release, but it's only been 4 months.  It's very possible that these new racetrack additions have been in the works for a while now, and for as much as I'd like to see more Canthan-themed decorations, I don't want them rushed and unpolished either.

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I believe both HoT and  PoF had tens of decorations at launch. As they proved they can do it, they have no reason to have not done it. They really dropped the ball this time. I mean especially when Guild Halls as a feature has received so few updates since its the release, the very least they can do is keep up with the decorations.

Edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I believe both HoT and  PoF had tens of decorations at launch. As they proved they can do it, they have no reason to have not done it. They really dropped the ball this time. I mean especially when Guild Halls as a feature has received so few updates since its the release, the very least they can do is keep up with the decorations.

Guildhalls were added with HoT so it would've made sense to have dozens of decorations available when it was released.  As for PoF, I don't honestly know what decorations were introduced along with its release and which ones were added in the months afterwards.

But again, considering how many players in the community have been asking for these decorations for years versus a few posts thus far requesting new EoD decorations (one of which was mine), I'm ok with Anet releasing the Racetrack decorations now and waiting a few more months for new EoD decorations.

PoF came with 31 GH decorations, found this link

I am grateful with the racetrack updates except for two issues, the lack of Curved Ramp and the disappearing Checkpoint Projector bug. I feared these may not be fixed at all as with all previous broken decoations 😪

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 3

On 6/9/2022 at 12:09 AM, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

That honestly further exasperates the problem, they can come up with so many track decorations, but cant make more than two expansion decorations? I feel like their priorities are off.

There is a major problem with what they are doing but i can't figure out their focus. It's EXTREMELY odd there were only 2 Xpac decs. I assume they were rushed??? but to not add them later i don't understand.  and then... they focus on beetle racing decs? yea its great if yer into beetle racing but i think based mostly on these forums its a niche activity. (though it shouldn't be) The power ups are great! while imo the others are ok. ( i haven''t tested the gates but i assume they aren't orderable in any way) but still since its guild hall decs it still takes a guild sorta thing and If you are already in a big guild getting more of these track pieces isn't a big problem.

As a solo guild decorator.... (eh who knows if this is better but someone else posted this and it got me thinking.) much like PVP arena decs maybe a 1 time gold sink to upgrade things and have almost limitless decs instead of crafting each one individually may of been better? but no no no that's a whole other thing i guess, even though it was done with the pvp decs... hmmm, i wonder why.

Edited by Kelly.7019
a million things popping in my head
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 3:16 AM, Ronin.4501 said:

but given the popularity of building these tracks and large number of pieces used in their creation, there is likely to be a surge in price, which once again places a far heavier burden on smaller guilds.

I would suggest augmenting the recipe used in the creation of these pieces to either require no zhaitaffy or significantly less zhaitaffy, and in exchange requiring use of the racing tokens which are used to purchase the original racetrack pieces, which could potentially be traded in with https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fion for a new item used in the recipe.

or idk maybe using those newly minted dungeon currencies to buy ghall decs as future options

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kelly.7019 said:

There is a major problem with what they are doing but i can't figure out their focus. It's EXTREMELY odd there were only 2 Xpac decs. I assume they were rushed??? but to not add them later i don't understand.  and then... they focus on beetle racing decs? yea its great if yer into beetle racing but i think based mostly on these forums its a niche activity. (though it shouldn't be) The power ups are great! while imo the others are ok. ( i haven''t tested the gates but i assume they aren't orderable in any way) but still since its guild hall decs it still takes a guild sorta thing and If you are already in a big guild getting more of these track pieces isn't a big problem.

As a solo guild decorator.... (eh who knows if this is better but someone else posted this and it got me thinking.) much like PVP arena decs maybe a 1 time gold sink to upgrade things and have almost limitless decs instead of crafting each one individually may of been better? but no no no that's a whole other thing i guess, even though it was done with the pvp decs... hmmm, i wonder why.

Actually if you go on Youtube you can find a LOT of beetle-racing tracks that have been built in Guildhalls, and don't forget that Anet has actually promoted some of the community-created Beetle Tournaments in the past.  Beetle racing might be a niche activity, but it's probably one of the larger niche activities in this game and probably the only one that truly makes good use of the Guildhalls.

As for being a solo guild decorator, I can truly sympathize; I've already leveled up and decoration capped one guildhall solo (LP) and am currently working on my 2nd (IoR).  I've literally spent 10s of 1000s of gold both on leveling up the guild AND making decorations, as some of the decorations are extremely expensive to craft (It'll cost you upwards of 50+ gold to craft a single https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Potted_Blue_Orchid).  Unfortunately I think Anet intentionally made decorating expensive as a deterrent specifically for players such as you and I (the solo/small guild projects) as I can only imagine if every player in the game decided to create a fully decorated Guildhall, it would cripple the game's servers.

28 minutes ago, Kelly.7019 said:

or idk maybe using those newly minted dungeon currencies to buy ghall decs as future options

I'm not expressly against this idea, but the reason I suggested racing tokens is that they are directly related to the Guildhall decoration Racetrack pieces.  Right now there are no decorations linked to any of the dungeons, so earning dungeon tokens to buy decorations doesn't feel right.  That being said, I'm all for Anet creating some new decorations linked to the dungeons and then using dungeon tokens to purchase them. 

I'm just not a fan of Anet linking decorations to festival tokens when said festivals are only available 3 weeks a year.  Last year I earned 48k Festival tokens (Four Winds Festival) by spending every free moment I had doing events to earn tokens, primarily because I knew this would be my only chance to earn them until Sept 2022.  Obviously I'm not asking Anet to keep the festivals around year-round, but there should be some alternative method of either earning these tokens year-round, or employing a second recipe that doesn't require items with a year-long time-gate.

I don't need to go on youtube i'm already there. 😄

A) As far as clubs i know of [DRFT], [RACE] and a third one i forget that seem to be the main big ones and maybe [UAoT], then there are the many many rando peeps that build tracks (some of them are in these clubs) kitepwr,  kiLLeR415TV, Garfried,  ReaperJumadu,  LanifMaster, Rawr Gaming With Tdrag0n jxv, Stuphoost, Martin Holtsdalen Larsen, Zema, to mention a few. But for all the love i also see lots of h8 here on the forums much like everything else: raids, casual PvE content,  hardcore content, yada yada yada and from my own experience as 1 out of 200 it seems like only a handful are interested in beetling. I don't understand why though its sooo fun!

B) As for max cap it is so easy to reach. I wish there was a counter of some kind so you knew how close you were to the limit instead of being halfway done on a project and realizing you can't place any more things. 😞

C) I'm kinda surprised people decorate once and done. I decorate and tear down monthly. I prefer temporary decorations / seasonal decorating.  I guess it's like how i decorate my bedroom, things are always moving around.

2 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Unfortunately I think Anet intentionally made decorating expensive as a deterrent specifically for players such as you and I (the solo/small guild projects) as I can only imagine if every player in the game decided to create a fully decorated Guildhall, it would cripple the game's servers.

D)Yea that is the problem. i think this is why we have limits on "objects too close" the system is limited. and too many objects will slow the game. this seems like a major flaw and probably should not have done guild halls in the first place which mitght be why they finally realized to stop working on them all together... sort of.

e) ah true. i guess farming tools might be 1 way, kinda... if they gave the zhataffy eh maybe? I think there is the daily pinata for you home instance but that prolly doesn't do a lot.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kelly.7019 said:

No. Please don't link guild hall decorations to dungeons (or raid or strike or fractal or wvw or pvp) currencies. They are fine as it is now.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 1