Recommend GPU (AMD or NVIDIA) for WVW

Mike.2907

20 hours ago, Mike.2907 said:

Lucked in on 3060 ti fe at bestbuy. 

Much appreciated all the advice. Next monitor haha. 

Moving on up!

I probably not the only one to take away some advice,  but don't get fooled: ram < gpu bus if you have a 4,0 PCI slot; so I read.

Do your own diligence. 

And good luck upgrading.

Cheers,

If your hardware came out in the last 5 years neither is anything to worry about with Guild Wars 2.
Also don't get fooled by people upselling, no GPU is even close to using the full bandwidth of pci-e gen 3.0 let alone 4.0.
Hardware Unboxed do good reviews and recommendations for gaming monitors across the price spectrum and cut through the snake oil:

Another good tool for an informed choice on a monitor is rtings, I would advise finding a monitor that looks good if you can't get one of the above recommended for whatever reason and then look it up on rtings. https://www.rtings.com/monitor

Take "best" recommendations with a pinch of salt for rtings, imo they don't offer a good enough spectrum of budgets.
Edit: As long as you get a monitor you like and made an informed choice on it, and don't feel ripped off that's all that matters.

Edited by apharma.3741

I am a bit late, but since nobody said it yet:

WvW is a game mode where CPU performance and GPU driver overhead matters. The best current GPU architecture in terms of low CPU overhead is RDNA2 (Radeon RX6000 series). Former AMD architectures were inferior to Nividias CPU overhead, but this has changed drastically.

For GW2 this means:

1. Buy the fastest CPU you can (either an Intel 12000 CPU with 5 GHz clockspeed or a Ryzen 7 5800X3D)

2. If you can't buy a faster CPU and want to get the most out of your existing CPU, then buy an RDNA2 GPU.

Edited by KrHome.1920

34 minutes ago, KrHome.1920 said:

I am a bit late, but since nobody said it yet:

WvW is a game mode where CPU performance and GPU driver overhead matters. The best current GPU architecture in terms of low CPU overhead is RDNA2 (Radeon RX6000 series). Former AMD architectures were inferior to Nividias CPU overhead, but this has changed drastically.

For GW2 this means:

1. Buy the fastest CPU you can (either an Intel 12000 CPU with 5 GHz clockspeed or a Ryzen 7 5800X3D)

2. If you can't buy a faster CPU and want to get the most out of your existing CPU, then buy an RDNA2 GPU.

To use a 12th gen CPU, you also need a recent motherboard that has an LGA 1700 socket. So upgrading your CPU can also mean upgrading your motherboard. I'm not sure about the Ryzen 7 but it could be the same.

Also, when upgrading your PC, try to keep in mind that there are requirements for W11 that you might want to take into consideration if you want to have a PC that will last you. W10 will be supported for another 5 years but you know that when you get closer to the end of that period there will be more and more things you won't be able to do or run anymore most likely.