Question for all you WvW mesmer "pros"

I originally asked this in the Mesmer forums, but I guess it makes more sense here.

I've been doing just fine with the Chrono spec below in PvE and I'm not quite sure how it will play out in WvW (not sPvP). My goal is to roam with one or two friends in WvW. Here is the Chrono spec I've been playing in PvE.

Build Editor - Gw2Skills.Net

It's basically a Chornophantasma build using a greatsword and staff for lots of phantasms and shatter. It's got decent mobility and I chose the superior rune of the warrior to shed 2 seconds off the weapon swapping. It makes a huge difference in PvE so I can only imagine it would be fun in WvW. 

My second build is the typical Virtuoso focused on blocking and blade generation. The sword and torch are mostly used for escaping. The scepter and sword offhand will be my primary dps weapon which generates lots of blades. Again, I haven't tried WvW yet so not sure how that would work out. It's quite an adjustment from the Chrono build because I have to be more active with my blocks. And it's definitely not as fun as the other spec in PvE.

Build Editor - Gw2Skills.Net

I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time with the wrong spec for the wrong content because gearing them out is a bit different. Right now I'm using Marauders but plan on changing some things once I fully settle on the spec.

• Haha 1

I guess what it all boils down to is this.

How effective is all that blocking on Virtuoso in WvW roaming with 1 or 2 friends?

In PvE it's a bit annoying trying to figure out all the animations and timing them with good blocks. I'm still new at it and can see it being solid once my reflexes adapt.

My problem with the Chrono Phantasm build I chose is the lack of defenses against projectiles. So that means I'll probably die to every Deadeye which would make my WvW gameplay unbearable LOL

If you dont want to waste your time with the "wrong spec" neither is any good, almost everyone still run mirage because it's stupid superior for what will be the most common roamer build, clone puking staff swinging condi bunker (despite crying about one dodge). Very few are good enough to run power, but granted they do exist.

Chrono is pretty rare, mostly just seen in zerging (and even there using chrono to begin with is pretty meh since it's there for the focus and maybe veil and little else). Virtuosi... well lets phrase it like this - I've seen one decent since EoD release. Just one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The chat conversation was more interesting than that fight, the eng didn't even attempt to dodge the burst....

Going back to topic..

Chrono is best used for pulls, cc, boon strip, in group setting (double gravity well), usually what I'm on these days with a hybrid cele chrono, able to solo most specs (other than certain burst and super tanks), small group, or zerg.

The other specs are better for roaming, not to say you can't on chrono, the great sword burst setup is usable on all mesmer specs, probably best on core and virtuoso, condi staff setup on mirage.

Also keep in mind rune of the warrior isn't that great if you're going to use swap sigils (a lot of wvw mesmers use energy or cleansing or doom), weapon swap cooldown is 10s, sigils are 9s, swapping at 8s any use? ehhhh. For pve might as well be using a dps rune set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Creativity.3816 said:

https://streamable.com/v82upr

this seems pretty good im just full zerk pressing 2 to 3 buttons per enemy

Looks like a fight that could also be won with a single Grenade Barrage or Rapid Fire.

I'm not trashing your choices, just, like… you're completely freecasting there. Your opponent isn't using any defensive abilities or counter-pressure.

5 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

The chat conversation was more interesting than that fight, the eng didn't even attempt to dodge the burst....

Going back to topic..

Chrono is best used for pulls, cc, boon strip, in group setting (double gravity well), usually what I'm on these days with a hybrid cele chrono, able to solo most specs (other than certain burst and super tanks), small group, or zerg.

The other specs are better for roaming, not to say you can't on chrono, the great sword burst setup is usable on all mesmer specs, probably best on core and virtuoso, condi staff setup on mirage.

Also keep in mind rune of the warrior isn't that great if you're going to use swap sigils (a lot of wvw mesmers use energy or cleansing or doom), weapon swap cooldown is 10s, sigils are 9s, swapping at 8s any use? ehhhh. For pve might as well be using a dps rune set.

Mostly what Xenesis said & *if roaming* be able to compound damage in many ways & if squadin be ready to survive a W push & repeat control with your friends

Edited by Every day pon.5386

6 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Not really going to comment on actual Mesmer build advice, but I think what Xenesis said here is really important. As a roamer, chances are you are going to want to take at least one cleansing sigil, and realistically you'll likely take one or more additional on-swap sigils. Having the sigil proc desynced from your weapon-swap CD is a huge bummer and liability, and for that reason alone I'd never recommend running Warrior runes unless you have absolutely no on-swap sigils. As a Mesmer, you have no transformation (Necro Shroud, Holo Photonforge, Druid Celestial Avatar, etc.) that can proc the sigils for you either. I remember loving the idea of the runes when I started playing the game because it sounded extremely strong in theory, but I quickly gave them up when I realized this issue.

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908

Yea, I decided to stick with the Chorno Phantasm build. I tried fooling around with the Virtuoso block focused abilities and I'm just not that efficient at blocking consistently in PvE let alone try it in PvP. Felt like I was spending entire fights trying to use all my blocks. I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

I'm going to replace that warrior rune with a rune of exuberence.

I'll have to find a way to cover the builds biggest weakness which is trying to defend itself from ranged attacks. Yes, I have stealth, but that won't help much versus a deadeye who can just wait it out and come back to beat me over the head again.

2 hours ago, Creativity.3816 said:

Za Shaloc is a good mesmer player I would take their advice on the class 

And ya, I know guys, I'm bad, but at least I don't run 6 signets on mechanist

Oh God I've only ever put decent hours in on Virt and am trash on everything else Mesmer because it's too big brain for me. Please don't lmao 🙈