For The Druid Players - It's Still Viable In PvP - Still Strong With Cele In WvW - Guide Inside

Trevor Boyer.6524

I disagree with the usuals here ofc but let’s see in 2 days if anet brings something new (I mean by bringing mobile spirits back) or it’s more of the same garbage.  For the news they only talked about spirits so I don’t think they will touch the unplayed at all. 

druid is a waste of map spot in wvw. Yes you don’t die because stealth and cele but don’t bring anything into the combat. 
druid in pvp is hot garbage and that is a conscious  choice from anet, they do not want the bunker druid 2.0 back. Example: as soon as knock back druid begun to have some use anet quickly nerf the glyph into the ground. You know, just in case the subclass gets to have anything fun to play. Playing druid in pvp is the closest to an snore fest you will find. Watching it is the same. 

Just do a favor to your Server and yourself and avoid druid, with soulbeast at least you have the oportunity to pewpew unsuspecting air from the towers. If you want support go for firebrand, that is a sure bet. 

• Confused 2

@anduriell.6280 Dude click the link in my signature and watch the recent Cele Druid wvw broadcast.

Most of your opinions & statements are not debatable but rather they are simply incorrect. As much is obvious if you were to watch some of my recent footage in wvw or even spvp.

Yes, you have to be a special kind of dedicated Ranger main to make Druid work in pvp where there are skill splits and so many options removed. But Cele Druid in wvw just busted powerful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@anduriell.6280 Dude click the link in my signature and watch the recent Cele Druid wvw broadcast.

Most of your opinions & statements are not debatable but rather they are simply incorrect. As much is obvious if you were to watch some of my recent footage in wvw or even spvp.

Yes, you have to be a special kind of dedicated Ranger main to make Druid work in pvp where there are skill splits and so many options removed. But Cele Druid in wvw just busted powerful.

I see your twitch streams when you are live, When I say I see I mean I see them but can't bear to watch. Every time I tune in I'm on time to watch you getting beat up by some random or you running away from combat. And you whining and coping about the last defeat. Definitely not my cup of tea. 

So I guess your perception of what is fun or useful is different between you and me and that is fine by me. I don't think we will come to an agreement thou. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

@anduriell.6280 Dude that footage currently features about 8+ hours of me mulching everything with a Druid and repeatedly winning 1vX situations in wvw.

Your responses so far in this thread and other threads I've seen about Druid, are strangely apathetic & hinted with this very biased hate for the class, while you repeatedly attempt to inject ad-hominem/strawman propaganda to discredit the words of other forum users discussing Druid. This is because you don't actually have anything to say and you are hoping that some people will believe the misinformation in your statements before watching 8 hours of footage that clearly demonstrates the very strong performance of Druid in this meta, and how to run those builds.

Of what is your agenda built from to get the community to hate Druid with you? I don't know, but it's kind of weird my dude.

But you've said enough! We all know you can't stand the class and you think it's bad. However, someone people like the class and want to play it, which is what this thread was about, a discussion/showcase of a couple playable Druid builds that have good performance right now.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Cele Druid in wvw just busted powerful.

how do you gain might?

no might = noodle damage.  i just dont see where your damage should be coming from, even with the offensive traits that your are running.

I have to say it looks interresting, but i am pretty sure i could permastalemate your druid with just about every build that i am playing. (i am playing cele+antitoxin on everything kinda, beside specter but that p00ps cleanses even without antitoxin xD) I just dont see how you want to break thru the cleanse / toughness walls that most celebuilds have nowadays.... sure you gonna kill a few... but no way on earth this beats my cele specter... or my Celestial Ventari Renegade... your build is almost 100% projectilebased... idk if i like that. Shortbow also doesnt really scale with power... you are better off scrapping the powertraits, and cele and running a Trailblazer+Apothecary mix. Thats what i use on druid atleast. Try going for a bleeddruid. Its one of the strongets duellers for WvW.  just gotta find a good build.

also buddy... your doing it again... stop being so defensive. this time its not me.... but almost every thread has you completly fuming, telling everyone that they have no clue... its truely hilarious. Dont waste your breath with those people 😄

they have a diffrent opinion.. and thats k.

Edited by Sahne.6950

17 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

how do you gain might?

no might = noodle damage.  I am pretty sure i could permastalemate your druid with just about every build that i am playing. (i am playing cele+antitoxing on everything kinda xD)

also buddy... your doing it again... stop being so rude.

this time its not me.... but every thread has you completly fuming, telling everyone that they have no clue... its truely hilarious.

1. Might stacking on Cele Druid - Cele Druid Might Stacking - Axe 1 and Strength Sigil - Twitch
  2. Cele Druid is a power/condi hybrid. It is not just condi damage.
  3. We can go to the Armistice Bastion right now and do a 1v1 duel test vs. your different builds. In fact, I was looking for something interesting to do this morning anyway. Get back to me.
  4. Clearing up misinformation posted from aggressive forum users is not rude or fuming, that's me clearing up misinformation which needs to be done at times when you're posting a guide thread.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

1. Might stacking on Cele Druid - Cele Druid Might Stacking - Axe 1 and Strength Sigil - Twitch
  2. Cele Druid is a power/condi hybrid. It is not just condi damage.
  3. We can go to the Armistice Bastion right now and do a 1v1 duel test vs. your different builds. In fact, I was looking for something interesting to do this morning anyway. Get back to me.
  4. Clearing up misinformation posted from aggressive forum users is not rude or fuming, that's me clearing up misinformation which needs to be done at times.

sigil of strentgh and axe 1 is NOT a sufficient way of stacking might for a cele build. if you not sitting on ~15+ stacks cele on Druid is not optimal. rather go for other stats with more raw condidamage. You are a bunker... and can widdle down enemys with low sustain, but your gonna hit a brickwall as soon as your facing 2 or more enemys, or another cele bunker. Thats just no fun for me. you need burst.

try trailblazer+apothecary! and focus on 100% bleed duration and spam shortbow! trust me. ... idk what people say 😄 Druid is viable if you are using good stats and focus on bleed.^^But cele... is just a bunker sadly. You need more might than it might possibly work. Maybe try other sigils and food that generates might. Your damage will skyrocket. altho i still think that having power/cele and using Shortbow is d00d00. as you are not using ther power/precision/fero stats while being on the bow whatsoever. better off stacking condidamage, healing and bleedduration.

we can duel for sure! i am at work tho.... and i am EU 😕 so that might actually be difficult.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Sahne.6950 I'm on NA so scratch that idea. Not paying for a server transfer today. I may stream 1v1s from Armistice though. Sounds like something to do.

ah sad 😕

if you happen to be on EU at some point.... hit me up! Very passionate 1v1er here 😄

Edited by Sahne.6950

Eww, Druid. You have a much MUCH more solid and well rounded option with boonbeast, even with broken stats like celestial. I could tank like 50% of your damage almost indefinitely with double cleasing sigils alone. I wouldn't kill you because you're just an annoying tank that can reset the fight at will, but I assure you that you wouldn't consistently drop my relatively much squishier Soulbeast's health below 70%. You can kill PvE casuals that are there to do their daylies and wont fight back like in the video you linked but don't get deluded into thinking you're an actual threat to a properly geared and well played roamer.

Seriously, almost everything can be busted with celestial stats.

You're nowhere near the top of the foodchain in roaming with that build. That place belongs to celestial Harbingers, Catalysts, Scrappers, Holos, Soulbeasts, Thieves, Virtuoso and others.

But meh, WvW roaming is almost dead anyways.

Edited by Khenzy.9348
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

@Khenzy.9348 

Reread the OP post.

The purpose of this thread was to toss out a couple Druid builds that are viable in this meta, for the Druid players.

I made no claim whatsoever about Druid being the apex predator.

I simply made a thread to demo some footage of the performance.

Make of it what you want man.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

No...we don't need any more duels involving the OP 😂.  IYKYK...

But since I only know WvW, I can confirm Druid outperforms condi soulbeast by a country mile with the utility and such you can build into it.  I don't particularly like cele, but can build a condi bunker easy enough atm.  

Can you suggest a build/gear setup for condi druid? I'm not a fan of celestial either, time-to-kill and damage requiring a ramp up that's too long makes it seem only viable for 1v1's and realistically (or at least in my case) I'm usually fighting outnumbered - even more so if you play builds with long TTK.

21 minutes ago, Strider.7849 said:

Can you suggest a build/gear setup for condi druid? I'm not a fan of celestial either, time-to-kill and damage requiring a ramp up that's too long makes it seem only viable for 1v1's and realistically (or at least in my case) I'm usually fighting outnumbered - even more so if you play builds with long TTK.

You have to be a tank while running condi'ish setups on Ranger. The skills provided on condi weapon sets don't provide enough sheer disengage/precision counterplay options to be able to kite well enough while using more DPS oriented setups.

For example, a LB/GS Sic Em Soulbeast can run Gazelle for F2 mobility to stay away, has GS leap evade, GS block, LB3 stealth, Smokescale smoke field stealth stacks. But a Shortbow condi DPS Ranger? You gotta take hits man.

Cele stats are just honestly the best option to run for just about every mentionable reason. Just make sure you have a method to stack might and the DPS output is a lot higher on Cele than you'd think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

sigil of strentgh and axe 1 is NOT a sufficient way of stacking might for a cele build. if you not sitting on ~15+ stacks cele on Druid is not optimal. rather go for other stats with more raw condidamage. You are a bunker... and can widdle down enemys with low sustain, but your gonna hit a brickwall as soon as your facing 2 or more enemys, or another cele bunker. Thats just no fun for me. you need burst.

try trailblazer+apothecary! and focus on 100% bleed duration and spam shortbow! trust me. ... idk what people say 😄 Druid is viable if you are using good stats and focus on bleed.^^But cele... is just a bunker sadly. You need more might than it might possibly work. Maybe try other sigils and food that generates might. Your damage will skyrocket. altho i still think that having power/cele and using Shortbow is d00d00. as you are not using ther power/precision/fero stats while being on the bow whatsoever. better off stacking condidamage, healing and bleedduration.

we can duel for sure! i am at work tho.... and i am EU 😕 so that might actually be difficult.

Did you not watch the video?

The Cele Druid is running Axe/Axe and it stacks to 20+ might extremely quickly. It is most certainly using power and condi damage as it is Axe/Axe. It deals plenty of damage.

Also, you need Axe/Axe and the Staff in wvw if you want to do any 1v2 or 1vX, due to the anti-projectile fields on both sides of the weapon sets. It's just mandatory. There isn't exactly an option there.

You could build stronger 1v1 setups with a Soulbeast, but there is no better 1vX Ranger variant than a Druid with Axe/Axe & Staff for that one reason of double anti-projectiles.

• Like 1

And there i though you actually found a better build than dual axe + staff ...

Axe 5 is pretty bad as defensive skill, especially when outnumbered (not that double projectile block is actually mandatory - LOS is your friend) and staff deals no dmg. Staff 3 can get completely shut down by every single random cc or immob and there goes your ability to kite/escape. Pets are also nothing you can rely on with how easy they can melt. Still no good cc to proc AC and force cds regulary. No way to land any significant amounts of dmg without AC. No good safe stomping options. No thanks, i'd rather stick to 1vsX on slb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

And there i though you actually found a better build than dual axe + staff ...

Axe 5 is pretty bad as defensive skill, especially when outnumbered (not that double projectile block is actually mandatory - LOS is your friend) and staff deals no dmg. Staff 3 can get completely shut down by every single random cc or immob and there goes your ability to kite/escape. Pets are also nothing you can rely on with how easy they can melt. Still no good cc to proc AC and force cds regulary. No way to land any significant amounts of dmg without AC. No good safe stomping options. No thanks, i'd rather stick to 1vsX on slb.

To each his own. G'luck with that.

6 hours ago, Strider.7849 said:

For condi, I use Apoc and/or Trailblazer depending on what you want to afford.  It'll let you play outnumbered, and you can win most duels with it.  Basically, it's still bunker but doesn't try to do power like cele.  

I'm sure there are more offensive options, but the problem I find in general with condi is the three power offensive stats (power/pre/fer) don't play well with just the one condition damage stat of condi builds.  So you end up building bunker no matter what, because the only other thing you really have is duration unless you want to spread yourself thin.   

7 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Khenzy.9348 

Reread the OP post.

The purpose of this thread was to toss out a couple Druid builds that are viable in this meta, for the Druid players.

I made no claim whatsoever about Druid being the apex predator.

I simply made a thread to demo some footage of the performance.

Make of it what you want man.

I must have misinterpreted your post then, sorry about that.

Druid still sucks though, comparatively speaking. I still think Druid is nowhere near as good as some are claiming it to be. Hopefully it gets its much deserved buffs.

Edited by Khenzy.9348

17 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

You have to be a tank while running condi'ish setups on Ranger. The skills provided on condi weapon sets don't provide enough sheer disengage/precision counterplay options to be able to kite well enough while using more DPS oriented setups.

For example, a LB/GS Sic Em Soulbeast can run Gazelle for F2 mobility to stay away, has GS leap evade, GS block, LB3 stealth, Smokescale smoke field stealth stacks. But a Shortbow condi DPS Ranger? You gotta take hits man.

Cele stats are just honestly the best option to run for just about every mentionable reason. Just make sure you have a method to stack might and the DPS output is a lot higher on Cele than you'd think. 

I ran the numbers today when I had time (at work now so I'll have to keep this brief) but yeah full celestial is superior to the full apothecary mix, especially when diminishing returns come into play. Also you only need around 650~ish healing power, which celestial hits perfectly.

With all that being said, I found celestial able sit around 1150 condi damage vs 1450 on apothecary and I feel you're correct in saying that celestial is the superior choice here, even if just focusing on the condo aspect of it. I haven't checked numbers of using primarily trailblazer with equal distribution of healing power through apothecary yet though, but I'm sure celestial would still work out the winner.

I quickly put together my gear (thanks to near full legendary) and tested it out briefly - it dominates in 1v1's but again, the time to kill and required ramp up for damage led me to getting outnumbered in fights I would've normally already had won. One example was I got to fight a celestial but based firebrand - won the fight but it took almost 3 minutes - and shortly after killing him I got jumped by 3 of his buddies design and go v.The difference though is I focused on buffing the condi aspect and used sword/torch and axe-dagger instead of your version with axe-axe and a more power focused build. I'll experiment more this weekend when I'm off work. 

For now, I'm not saying it's bad.. just you can contribute much more to allies and win more fights with soulbeast, in my opinion. Sure in a direct one vs one where you have unlimited time to fight an opponent druid would be superior, but (using your example of glass cannon power longbow soulbeast) soulbeast has higher mobility, better disengage, naturally as good sustain through modifiers, stability access on utility, and significantly higher damage allowing it to spike down heavy threats while kiting other foes. On the druid I could only win fights if the enemy can't outdps my sustain and doesnt have a support or sustainable cleanses. Just my 2 cents

27 minutes ago, Strider.7849 said:

I ran the numbers today when I had time (at work now so I'll have to keep this brief) but yeah full celestial is superior to the full apothecary mix, especially when diminishing returns come into play. Also you only need around 650~ish healing power, which celestial hits perfectly.

With all that being said, I found celestial able sit around 1150 condi damage vs 1450 on apothecary and I feel you're correct in saying that celestial is the superior choice here, even if just focusing on the condo aspect of it. I haven't checked numbers of using primarily trailblazer with equal distribution of healing power through apothecary yet though, but I'm sure celestial would still work out the winner.

I quickly put together my gear (thanks to near full legendary) and tested it out briefly - it dominates in 1v1's but again, the time to kill and required ramp up for damage led me to getting outnumbered in fights I would've normally already had won. One example was I got to fight a celestial but based firebrand - won the fight but it took almost 3 minutes - and shortly after killing him I got jumped by 3 of his buddies design and go v.The difference though is I focused on buffing the condi aspect and used sword/torch and axe-dagger instead of your version with axe-axe and a more power focused build. I'll experiment more this weekend when I'm off work. 

For now, I'm not saying it's bad.. just you can contribute much more to allies and win more fights with soulbeast, in my opinion. Sure in a direct one vs one where you have unlimited time to fight an opponent druid would be superior, but (using your example of glass cannon power longbow soulbeast) soulbeast has higher mobility, better disengage, naturally as good sustain through modifiers, stability access on utility, and significantly higher damage allowing it to spike down heavy threats while kiting other foes. On the druid I could only win fights if the enemy can't outdps my sustain and doesnt have a support or sustainable cleanses. Just my 2 cents

i am having the best results with Full trailblazer mixed with apothecary untill your reach 500-550 Healingpower.

a) Then i either use rune of Krait + sigil of agony on shortbow. Thanks to almost 100% bleedduration, the damage from spamming 1 ramps up pretty nicely. And the 6.th Krait effect makes entangle combos really hard to cleanse, because you get some cover condis.

b) your average Trapper build. Same statcombination. Trailblazer and apothecary till your reach ~ 500 Healingpower.

with the build your sitting at around 1650 Condidamage, depending on the runes and traits that you use it might be even higher.

Edited by Sahne.6950

4 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

i am having the best results with Full trailblazer mixed with apothecary untill your reach 500-550 Healingpower.

a) Then i either use rune of Krait + sigil of agony on shortbow. Thanks to almost 100% bleedduration, the damage from spamming 1 ramps up pretty nicely. And the 6.th Krait effect makes entangle combos really hard to cleanse, because you get some cover condis.

b) your average Trapper build. Same statcombination. Trailblazer and apothecary till your reach ~ 500 Healingpower.

with the build your sitting at around 1650 Condidamage, depending on the runes and traits that you use it might be even higher.

Yeah with Krait runes you can hit a much higher number, if I remember correctly somewhere around 1800 condi damage with 100% bleed duration and 6XX healing power. I should have clarified earlier on my numbers, it was based on the usage of Dolyak runes for celestial avatar juice and due to earlier posts regarding that.

@Strider.7849 You don't want to use Shortbow with Cele stats. You want Axe/Axe. The Cele stats are giving you hybrid damage, power & condi. The Shortbow has essentially no power damage side of its attack stream. The Axe/Axe setup is still a lot of bleed with Axe2 & Axe3, along with a lot of power damage on autos that ramps might and a lot of power damage on Axe5. The idea is to catch a person in Entangle or any root for that matter, and spin to win on them with Axe 5. Bonus if the Jacaranda lands Call Lightning at same time you spin to win = someone dies regardless of how tanky they are, if they can't get out of the root.

You don't need the Shortbow and you need to drop the idea of it. There is too much anti projectile in pvp/wvw for Shortbow to work on condi setups. The Axe/Axe setup allows you to land melee, along with the Staff with is also a channel that goes under anti projectile. Both melee and channel deliver the Sharp Stone 10 bleed stack. Most of your bleeds on any build, are coming from your Sharp Stone, Entangle, and Sharpened Edges crit procs.

Right now you think Soulbeast is contributing more, and it does FEEL like that to me as well when I run Sic Em Soulbeast. But realistically if you are a streamer and go back to review footage, you realize that although the Soulbeast FEELS like you're contributing more, footage will show that you're winning without dying, pushing more 1vXs, saving more team mates, and in general getting a lot more done while running something like Cele Druid.

The real key to the new wvw roam meta, is to know when to swap build templates. For example: Someone is on a tower using a cannon, so I swap to Sic Em Soulbeast to take care of it. Another example: I come across a Deadeye Roamer who couldn't deal the DPS to kill the Cele Druid but I'll never catch him, so I swap to Sic Em Soulbeast. Yet another example: My server is defending a keep and they have plenty of zerg ball rolling around inside of it, so I go up onto a wall and swap to high nuke power Sic Em Soulbeast to snipe out Necros in the enemy's back lines. I find that the Soulbeast DPS is most certainly something you want to swap to when niche moments present themselves, which I do it all the time in my footage. But nearly 75% of the time or greater, the Cele Druid is far better to stay on as the general template to use.

There was footage I had recently where I was playing with [mens] and it was myself on Cele Druid with two Tempests. We were roaming as 3 people and taking towers vs. a zerg in that map of 10-15 people. We were straight up winning 3v10-15s, which wouldn't have been possible while using Soulbeast. I can't burst heal the Eles on Soulbeast and can't auto stealth them with CA Kit for stealth/super speed fallbacks or revives either.

@Sahne.6950  You talk about "finding the best results" which I don't think you've experimented much at all with different Ranger builds. You can't run just condi on a Ranger in wvw. It is a notoriously inefficient setup because everyone is running Antitoxin Runes, food buffs with -% condi duration, and traits that never received skill splits like -20% condi damage. You have to hybrid damage in wvw condi builds. Wvw condi builds have to have a power tied side to the attack streams or they're just bad, on any class.

You keep talking about having success on this condi ranger build you keep referencing, but I have to wonder what your definition of success is, with all due respect. From what server are you playing where this build is working? And how often are you even winning 1v1s on that build? You can't win only 50% of the 1v1s you choose to engage, as you dodge the classes you know will kill you, and claim it is successful. Successful builds in wvw are the ones that don't need to dodge any 1v1s.

You've made a couple hard claims now that this build you keep referencing is better than Cele Druid, which is simply not true. I know it's not true because I'm a 10 year old Ranger main, and you at least certainly must know that "you aren't sure" because I can tell you haven't done much play testing. To come into someone's guide thread and post "This is better use this!" you had better make sure you're right.

But at the end of the day you can believe what you want, just don't ignore the obvious truths that lay before you. If you click the link in my signature, there is about 8 hours of footage of a Cele Druid winning every 1vX it comes across and dominating all 1v1 situations, soloing towers and trucking across anything that gets in its way. The only things that even pose a threat towards being able to actually kill that build structure in 1v1 are top tier players running: 1) Sustain based Power Soulbeast Axe/Axe & Greatsword, 2) Celestial Harbinger, 3) Celestial Renegade. Other build archetypes simply can't threaten a kill vs. the Cele Druid unless he is unaware and half AFK, doesn't understand how to wield the Druid correctly, or is getting Xv1'd.

To give you an idea of what really knowing your **** about your build structure looks, here is a quick recap of the past 2 years worth of 1v1 loses I've had on Cele Druid: 1) @hobotnicax.7918 with a sustain based Axe/Axe & Greatsword Soulbeast. He was not able to kill the Druid but he forced me into forever kiting where I couldn't land much offense. Although his build was stronger 1v1, it would not make nearly as good of a 1vX as a Cele Druid, due to the double projectile nullification on Axe5 & Staff5, along with the on demand stealth in full condi clear provided in CA Kit. I haven't ran across a single Soulbeast in 2 years regardless of their builds, who could even get near threatening a kill vs. the Cele Druid. 2) When EOD first released, one of the first things I did was load into wvw. I came across a Celestial Harbinger for the first time and he was able to run me off, although he couldn't kill me. Since getting used to Harbinger, I haven't had problems with them since. 3) There was a day not long ago, maybe a couple of months ago now, where I came across a Celestial Renegade. Boy oh boy is Cele Renegade a lot stronger in wvw than you'd probably think. We went back and forth for probably about 15 to 20 minutes in a 1v1, I'd almost kill him but he'd reset, he'd almost kill me but Id reset, until I rolled into the wrong spot when I needed to reset, had no where to kite, and he actually killed the Cele Druid in a 1v1. He is the only player to actually kill me on this build in a 1v1 since I began playing it 2+ years ago. But other classes? They might be able to stalemate the Cele Druid but they'd never threaten a kill against it.

• Like 1