Discussion on the Exp for Spirit Shard reward.

As most people know, once you reach max level in all content, the exp you get starts going toward spirit shards for every level up.
Currently I am sitting at 7000 spirit shards and I definitely do not utilize them enough, which is why I want to talk about what people would think about making it more like a reward track system where you could choose from a list of rewards (potentially even related to the content you are in) or just making spirit shards for core map rewards or something.

For example:
Heart of Thorns, people could choose one of the map currencies to get 1-2 of them. As someone who uses airship parts a lot or needs more Ley-Line crystals, getting a few extra from leveling there could be nice instead of getting more spirit shards that I don't use as fast as I gain them.
Path of Fire has Trade Contracts that could be nice to get an extra 1 or 2 from levels.
And End of Dragons with the Research Notes would also be nice as well.

It also doesn't have to be these things and I totally understand people might have different feelings. I just want to see what people think because I wonder how many others out there do not utilize Spirit Shards enough to make those levels worth anything to them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, hellsqueen.3045 said:

As most people know, once you reach max level in all content, the exp you get starts going toward spirit shards for every level up.
Currently I am sitting at 7000 spirit shards and I definitely do not utilize them enough, which is why I want to talk about what people would think about making it more like a reward track system where you could choose from a list of rewards (potentially even related to the content you are in) or just making spirit shards for core map rewards or something.

For example:
Heart of Thorns, people could choose one of the map currencies to get 1-2 of them. As someone who uses airship parts a lot or needs more Ley-Line crystals, getting a few extra from leveling there could be nice instead of getting more spirit shards that I don't use as fast as I gain them.
Path of Fire has Trade Contracts that could be nice to get an extra 1 or 2 from levels.
And End of Dragons with the Research Notes would also be nice as well.

It also doesn't have to be these things and I totally understand people might have different feelings. I just want to see what people think because I wonder how many others out there do not utilize Spirit Shards enough to make those levels worth anything to them.

They could just have put a cap at 80 and let you earn no more experience should be happy we get something.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

I really like this idea.  I would like to have an option for map currencies or spirit shards.  Add a selection to the masteries tab.

And true, they could have just left it at 80 and nothing. I like getting the shards.  Perhaps a better dump for extra shards?  Besides the legendary needs, I buy some banners but that's about it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

They could just have put a cap at 80 and let you earn no more experience should be happy we get something.

It definitely is nice, in most cases I like it because sometimes the instant health boost on a level has been a lifesaver.🤣

And even if they never change it, that is also fine. It could just be helpful to change it to have more variety. It only gives 1 spirit shard, what would be an issue in having it be 1 of some other currency?

It is fine to be happy with what we have, but it is also fine to ask and gather opinion on whether or not having more options to that little max level reward would help some people.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

I mean, I didn’t take his post as a complaint.  I took it as asking for more options.  

It definitely is nice, in most cases I like it because sometimes the instant health boost on a level has been a lifesaver.🤣

And even if they never change it, that is also fine. It could just be helpful to change it to have more variety. It only gives 1 spirit shard, what would be an issue in having it be 1 of some other currency?

It is fine to be happy with what we have, but it is also fine to ask and gather opinion on whether or not having more options to that little max level reward would help some people.

I wouldn’t have an issue if you could choose a something else as long as you don’t lose the option of the spirit shards.  I am perennially out of them, so any place I can get them I am happy.  

Could maybe consider a vendor for those maps as a one to one (or maybe more of the currency, as one airship part would be even less than negligible lol).

• Like 5

I wouldn't mind a choice, as long as the choice isn't obviously OP or obvoiusly not as good. So many choices in this game are completely meaningless.

I get a box from AB and I can pick keys, airship oil or an amalgamated gemstone. Gee, let me think. Seems to me that anyone doing DE is going to choose the 8 gold reward as a matter of course.

When we ask for more choices, what I suspect we really want is decent choices.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I wouldn't mind a choice, as long as the choice isn't obviously OP or obvoiusly not as good. So many choices in this game are completely meaningless.

I get a box from AB and I can pick keys, airship oil or an amalgamated gemstone. Gee, let me think. Seems to me that anyone doing DE is going to choose the 8 gold reward as a matter of course.

When we ask for more choices, what I suspect we really want is decent choices.

I think for me it just feels like I have a reached a stage where spirit shards aren't meaningful to me because I don't use them to mystic forge stuff often, compared to other people in the community. Another option or two might be cool, I am happy enough collecting more shards but for me they just sit there until I need to restat something.

• Like 4

I think for me it just feels like I have a reached a stage where spirit shards aren't meaningful to me because I don't use them to mystic forge stuff often, compared to other people in the community. Another option or two might be cool, I am happy enough collecting more shards but for me they just sit there until I need to restat something.

I get what you're saying. What I'm saying is that if Anet is going to do this, the currency has to matter.  If they gave you a choice of spirit shards, airship oil and auric dust, what would you pick?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, hellsqueen.3045 said:

Although occasional aoe fear effect in farm parties in labyrinth can become irritating.

Edit (for the confused people): Leveling up not only restores your hps and cooldowns, it also makes all the mobs nearby to run away from you. For some reason this effect is most often seen in Hallowen Labyrinth farm zergs. Why, i have no idea (maybe the xp there is just that good, who knows).

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

There are many cases in this game, where if the game didn't do something you likely consider as "be happy that XYZ", I would not be playing the game.

Some players don't have low expectations as to what their ingame time translates to.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I wish ArenaNet would create a vendor for Spirit Shards.  Put some cool things in there that might cost thousands of Spirit Shards, but at least something the playerbase might enjoy.  Could be Mount Skin or Cosmetic Upgrade or super cool Miniature or Outfit or fancy/plain weapon(s), etc. 

Honestly that would be the easiest option, add more to the vendor, and some fun options or a few lower tier mat boxes.

• Like 2

The vast majority of people who have a huge surplus of spirit shards seem to just forge upgrade mats to make money from them. I myself cba as I know how hard it would be to farm them again if I did ever want them for legendaries or such (despite sitting on like 12k of em). I have to agree though, a vendor who offers cosmetics and things would be a good way to make them feel worth spending again. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I wish ArenaNet would create a vendor for Spirit Shards.  Put some cool things in there that might cost thousands of Spirit Shards, but at least something the playerbase might enjoy.  Could be Mount Skin or Cosmetic Upgrade or super cool Miniature or Outfit or fancy/plain weapon(s), etc. 

The potential problem with this is setting the price point. Like the angler hat. Some poeple are sitting on so much karma, throwing that away was meaningless. Other people spend each wintersday storing up that much karma for the year ahead and take one look at the hat price and forget about it.

Net impact on introducing it is pretty small, because the people who aren't using the currency can toss it away in a moment and not miss it, people who are simply ignore the new reward because there's more important things the need it for.

It seems to me that smaller, repeatable uses are better ways to sink accumulated currencies. Give more reasons to spend them here and there, rather than big, one-and-done purchases.

The reward track idea for XP is a really good one. I love the agency of deciding where I want my efforts to apply. It's a good feeling in PvP and WvW.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

The potential problem with this is setting the price point. Like the angler hat. Some poeple are sitting on so much karma, throwing that away was meaningless. Other people spend each wintersday storing up that much karma for the year ahead and take one look at the hat price and forget about it.

I thought I was a big deal when I hit 10M karma ... only to learn that there a players with far, far more than that.

• Like 3

If you have that many shards consider selling them on the GW2 Exchange Reddit. People will pay you gold/items for you to use your shards for Mystic Forge Recipes that give non account/soulbound items. 

You can also just craft said items directly and sell them on the TP, but you'll get a better return from the exchange reddit.

Though to be honest I would not say no to changing the reward of leveling up to be things like karma or laurels.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

For some reason this effect is most often seen in Hallowen Labyrinth farm zergs. Why, i have no idea (maybe the xp there is just that good, who knows).

Its good for leveling alts or … farming spirit shards lol. Such an mmo gamey thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

They already have a vendor for spirit shards.  Her name is Miyani

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I just use them on Spirit Banners. Maybe they should buff those things though as it doesn't give too much!

Otherwise they just get used for Mystic Forge dailies but that doesn't take much.

I think the simplest thing is maybe letting you buy boosters or gathering tools with them.

Allowing you to buy exp boosters with them would be hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

17 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Oh this is a very interesting alternative. It wouldn't be hard either as Miyani exists, she would just get another Tab.

9 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

If you have that many shards consider selling them on the GW2 Exchange Reddit. People will pay you gold/items for you to use your shards for Mystic Forge Recipes that give non account/soulbound items. 

You can also just craft said items directly and sell them on the TP, but you'll get a better return from the exchange reddit.

Though to be honest I would not say no to changing the reward of leveling up to be things like karma or laurels.

I feel like Laurels would be a hard one. You only get them for Achievement Points milestones and the login rewards, which means they are a bit of a road block for free accounts to start accessing stuff like high end fractals because they can't buy the ascended recipes very easily.

Do you keep that road block because they haven't paid? Or do we get an increase for the community as a whole.

And then if we consider the potential increase in how much materials from those 1 cost bags could suddenly appear in the market?

Karma I am very on board with.

8 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

They already have a vendor for spirit shards.  Her name is Miyani

Yes and she offers products for people who craft and utilize the mystic forge a lot. That means there are lots of spirit shards going unused especially because what she sells isn't crazy expensive anyway, but only people who make their money or legendaries frequently make the most of her offerings.

• Haha 1