FREE GANDARA!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#FREEGANDARA ¬† ūü§°

Ask not what Anet will do for Gandara, but what together the Gandara players can do for the freedom of Gandara. As others have mentioned: Not playing for a few days/weeks maybe takes a long time

And the response to that was: "Correlation does not imply causation." Another explanation could be more players farming GoB (for Aurene Legy) in WvW or overstacking servers (after the relinks). O

You know that "calculated from the play hours of active players REGISTERED ON THIS PAGE" doesn't tell the whole story about a single server, right?  It only shows activity from players who bothered to give their API key on that site.  It says right on that site that Fort Ranik has 317 registered users and Gandara has 423 registered users.  And hasn't Gandara been on strike for over 3 weeks?  That site only gives the last 14 days.  I wouldn't use that data personally.

Your last supposition that Anet may be using Gandara as a population benchmark is likely though.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Gandara will come back again,dont worry. The same thing happend to FSP atleast once a year. Weve had it real bad since around december last year and it lasted about 2+ months before things got back together again,and getting proper links too which made people return playing. But whatever you do...Do not waste money to transfer to another server,youre gonna regret it.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

Gandara will come back again,dont worry. The same thing happend to FSP atleast once a year. Weve had it real bad since around december last year and it lasted about 2+ months before things got back together again,and getting proper links too which made people return playing. But whatever you do...Do not waste money to transfer to another server,youre gonna regret it.

Yeah, too bad Gandara, unlike you, is getting 1 link a year and is not full...zero weeks a year. So no link and no way to get friends to play with us either directly or through a linked server. Truthfully the number isn't exactly zero: we have been open to transfers for 1 week in 2 years, when they manipulated the thresholds and every server in EU dropped to Very High or less.

Edited by Karagee.6830

I actually had the same suspicion that Gandara is the "100% population benchmark" and thus we are always full regardless of participation. Not playing will eventually get everyone else locked as seen in the last two weeks as our participation drops and people >= us are considered full (100+%).

There is probably some spaghetti code from earlier dev generations who have long left ANET and are laughing at the Gandara posts right now. "Hey, I know why this is happening! Remember the "Gandara constant" which we introduced to quickfix another problem a few years back? "

Edited by MLinni.6109
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, MLinni.6109 said:

I actually had the same suspicion that Gandara is the "100% population benchmark" and thus we are always full regardless of participation. Not playing will eventually get everyone else locked as seen in the last two weeks as our participation drops and people >= us are considered full (100+%).

First: Correlation does not imply causation. 

Second: Even, if Gandara would be used as a "full population benchmark" it still would mean that there is a lot of activity on Gandara and that Gandara is still among the servers with the most activity and biggest population. Because, if Gandara would be an empty, low-pop server with no activity, like a few players from Gandara have claimed here on the forum, then most (other) servers would have more activity and would have also be "full".

Third: My server (that has a link) played in a matchup against Gandara this year. During that time also some players from Gandara claimed, that their server is (nearly) empty. But what I experienced was different: Nearly whereever I went, it did not take long until I saw clouds of Gandara players. But an empty (enemy) server would look very different. 

Sure, it's possible that Anet somehow screwed it up and Gandara is always "full" regardless of real world population numbers. But I doubt it.  It seems more likely to me that Gandara actually has the population activity that warrants a "full" over a long period of time.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Zok.4956 said:

First: Correlation does not imply causation. 

Second: Even, if Gandara would be used as a "full population benchmark" it still would mean that there is a lot of activity on Gandara and that Gandara is still among the servers with the most activity and biggest population. Because, if Gandara would be an empty, low-pop server with no activity, like a few players from Gandara have claimed here on the forum, then most (other) servers would have more activity and would have also be "full".

Third: My server (that has a link) played in a matchup against Gandara this year. During that time also some players from Gandara claimed, that their server is (nearly) empty. But what I experienced was different: Nearly whereever I went, it did not take long until I saw clouds of Gandara players. But an empty (enemy) server would look very different. 

Sure, it's possible that Anet somehow screwed it up and Gandara is always "full" regardless of real world population numbers. But I doubt it.  It seems more likely to me that Gandara actually has the population activity that warrants a "full" over a long period of time.

Gandara is active at primetime and occasionally during the weekends, but outside those 2-3 skirmishes, it's dead. Playing during the day, it's not unusual to gather a group of 10 people at best to try to counter the enemy's squads of 30+. Queues simply do not exist other than on reset, and even then not every week.

The problem is that when a server is closed for such a long period of time you get people that quit playing wvw, thus lowering our numbers even more with absolutely zero way of recruiting anyone new.  If someone hasn't made their account/transferred more than 2 years ago, or in that one week when it was open last year, they can't join. The guilds can't recruit new blood.

EoD brought a ton of fresh players to most servers. Gandara saw none of that, thanks to it being closed.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Zok.4956 said:

it still would mean that there is a lot of activity on Gandara and that Gandara is still among the servers with the most activity and biggest population

Maybe some people would dispute this, but when your "full" server is perma-stuck in T5 is that a reason to have it end up full AND linkless for the better portion of a whole year? (I'd say we're even nearing two years by now) So that the server not only stays full, but without a chance to play with friends off that server?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, GoguSpatzialu.7948 said:

EoD brought a ton of fresh players to most servers. Gandara saw none of that, thanks to it being closed.

What about the old inactive accounts that existed already on Gandara that may have entered WvW and started counting towards the WvW population?  EoD wasn't just fresh new players.

11 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

What about the old inactive accounts that existed already on Gandara that may have entered WvW and started counting towards the WvW population?  EoD wasn't just fresh new players.

What about them? Surely you are not going to peddle some conspiracy theory that we have countless sleeping alt accounts from many years ago that actually come online on purpose, hide themselves, go afk and boost our numbers because they hate Gandara and are trying to keep us in this situation. As explained multiple times, even if this was the case (and Cormac legendary rants about spies were true), we still have the goddamn little red icon saying 'outnumbered'.

• Sad 1

The server community on Gandara has tried to ask for help with this situation.  Our first choice was just to be "not full."  It seems like that should happen at least once a year.  Another idea:  Anyone remember when there were free transfers to Gandara?  This happened after they started charging for transfers.  We suggested that they could reverse that process and offer free transfers away from Gandara to make room for the couple dozen players who want to join their guilds.  We didn't ask for a link and we aren't trying to overstack our server.  We just want our guildies with us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

one issue servers like gandara or deso have, u just ppt too much and play a crazy amount of hours whenever u got a link

then once unlinked, half server leaves, and repeat, idk

admittedly, it should hit other servers as well, anets algorithms are a bit confusing there. but yeah, the whole linking system as such is a major issue anyways

1 hour ago, Karagee.6830 said:

What about them? Surely you are not going to peddle some conspiracy theory that we have countless sleeping alt accounts from many years ago that actually come online on purpose, hide themselves, go afk and boost our numbers because they hate Gandara and are trying to keep us in this situation. As explained multiple times, even if this was the case (and Cormac legendary rants about spies were true), we still have the goddamn little red icon saying 'outnumbered'.

I didn't suggest that there was countless old accounts suddenly becoming active.  I was just pointing out that you're missing the bigger picture again.  Look at all the data instead of cherry-picking.  I don't know who this Cormac is you are referring to.

Edited by Chaba.5410
57 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

Last year (and with EoD this year) not only new accounts came into the game but also players that left the game in the past came back to the game. Of course this were also players from Gandara (statistically) and if they went into WvW the "total play hours spent in WvW" could increased (also) for Gandara.

5 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I didn't suggest that there was countless old accounts suddenly becoming active.  I was just pointing out that you're missing the bigger picture again.  Look at all the data instead of cherry-picking.  I don't know who this Cormac is you are referring to.

It was more of a joke about conspiracy theories, other conspiracy theories, which you have suggested I'm fond of. That one I mentioned is actually a conspiracy theory heard before that would explain what has been happening. Of course that would still mean that Anet isn't able to assess participation in any meaningful way. 

It's ironic that you talk about bigger picture when you have failed over and over and over to go beyond snippets and and you have been focusing on small parts of what's being said, wilfully ignoring both the context and the general points being made.

Edited by Karagee.6830
53 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

It was more of a joke about conspiracy theories, other conspiracy theories, which you have suggested I'm fond of. That one I mentioned is actually a conspiracy theory heard before that would explain what has been happening. Of course that would still mean that Anet isn't able to assess participation in any meaningful way. 

It's ironic that you talk about bigger picture when you have failed over and over and over to go beyond snippets and and you have been focusing on small parts of what's being said, wilfully ignoring both the context and the general points being made.

Asking questions about your evidence isn't willfully ignoring anything nor ignoring the bigger picture.  It's examining the evidence you presented.  Did you dot all your i's and cross all your t's?  It hasn't looked like it.  Do you argue in such a way with professors too when they look over your research papers?

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
9 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Asking questions about your evidence isn't willfully ignoring anything nor ignoring the bigger picture.  It's examining the evidence you presented.  Did you dot all your i's and cross all your t's?  It hasn't looked like it.  Do you argue in such a way with professors too when they look over your research papers?

You made claims nit-picking parts of the more general argument. You weren't asking questions, you were attempting a rebuttal of specific points taken in isolation from the whole argument and basing it on hearsay, with no more evidence behind it than what I provided to corroborate mine.

50 posts laters you still haven't addressed the elephant in the room: i.e. the combination of factors which is the real issue, not any one factor taken in isolation. What is your take on the situation when 1 server out of 27 is full for 2 years and has no link for stretches of 10 months? 

Edited by Karagee.6830
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, Karagee.6830 said:

You made claims nit-picking parts of the more general argument. You weren't asking questions, you were attempting a rebuttal of specific points taken in isolation from the whole argument and basing it on hearsay, with no more evidence behind it than what I provided to corroborate mine.

50 posts laters you still haven't addressed the elephant in the room: i.e. the combination of factors which is the real issue, not any one factor taken in isolation. What is your take on the situation when 1 server out of 27 is full for 2 years and has no link for stretches of 10 months? 

When I asked questions about parts of your general argument you told me to look it up myself!  What you took as "rebuttal" or claims that were nit-picking, I took as trying to illustrate to you why your "parts of the more general argument", otherwise known as evidence, needed further thinking and refinement.  You told me it's not debatable.

What combined and comprehensive evidence of factors have you presented?  You just present bits and pieces.  You went on a long spell about K+D as population rather than timeslot-specific PvP activity levels - players can try to feed K+D for many hours off-hours and never add anything significant to the total K+D but still keep a server Full with their playhours, which is the thing you kept asking about.  You never supplemented that datapoint with anything comprehensive to mitigate the drawbacks not having access to the necessary internal data.  You tried to supplement it with some anecdotes about the outnumbered buff but that's useless because everyone gets the outnumbered buff as several other posters pointed out.

Think, man, think.

• Like 1

Gandara began a 2-week slow down a few weeks ago to lower the server's activity and become unlocked.  The slow down received huge support from Gandarans.  Our kill-count in those weeks was the lowest in EU, dropping to just half of the 2nd lowest (Elona).  In fact, Gandara's activity was so low that it even caught the attention of the Game Director who wanted to know why we'd stopped playing WvW.

As successful as the slow down was in reducing Gandara's activity, it failed to unlock our server.  Even more surprising was what happened to the other EU servers' activities.  At first there were just 4 Full servers, and then 9, and now 11.  Additionally, 7 other servers that are not Full have experienced population jumps.

"Wow, what a happening game!"  ...Or at least that's what the marketing folks would like us to believe.  But with such large activity fluctuations why do we never see a week without any Full servers?  Hmm...  It very much seems that Anet always wants the busiest 1 or 2 servers to be labelled as Full regardless of what their actual activity levels are.  And more often than not, Gandara is one of those labelled servers.  Great PR, but not so nice for the "Full" servers that aren't really full.

By the way, what do you suppose happens when nearly every server's activity suddenly drops and the algorithm wants to label¬†nearly every server as Full?¬† Simple!¬† Just skip updating server activities for that week.¬† ...Or perhaps it was just a coincidence that activity updates were skipped last year for 3 consecutive weeks following the release of New World.¬†¬†ūüėČ

Edited by kafka.1657
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im glad that ppl who wrote code for gw2 decided to pursue Gaming Industry career instead of other, like architect or physician. Otherwise with that lazyass life- and work-style of theirs there would surely be victims. Script counting population? Nah, just set one server as full and compare it with others. Teleport skills on stairs? Nah, just make them invalid path, who cares. Alliances? Nah, lets just pretend that we work on it and instead focus on adding more stupid outfits to gemstore. 

And the list goes on and on, this company is a joke and the most hillarious thing for me is that you receive answer from Devs faster through Reddit than the actual game forums lmao.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2