MMO Veteran's wishlist and hopium for steam release!

1 hour ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

What would you consider as more meaningful rewards?

Something unique that will distinguish you from the people who haven't completed that content. If I can just buy the skins off of AH with gold, then what's the point? If it just rewards a bunch of mats (like everything in game already does) then it doesn't feel any more special to complete that sort of content, compared to let's say meta events. It feels bad when you spend X amount of minutes getting Y amount of gold, when you can spend the same X amount of time earning a lot more gold by doing something else, that's also much easier to do.

I generally dislike the overall reward system in the game, there's hundreds of materials and stuff and I feel like it's completely unnecessary to have so many (+ everything revolves around gold).
Either make harder content give more rewards that are unique and possibly account bound (unique skins, titles, etc.) or increase the gold value of rewards so it matches the time and EFFORT that it takes to complete the content.

Edited by Diktator.8927
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Diktator.8927 said:

Something unique that will distinguish you from the people who haven't completed that content. If I can just buy the skins off of AH with gold, then what's the point? If it just rewards a bunch of mats (like everything in game already does) then it doesn't feel any more special to complete that sort of content, compared to let's say meta events. It feels bad when you spend X amount of minutes getting Y amount of gold, when you can spend the same X amount of time earning a lot more gold by doing something else, that's also much easier to do.

I generally dislike the overall reward system in the game, there's hundreds of materials and stuff and I feel like it's completely unnecessary to have so many (+ everything revolves around gold).
Either make harder content give more rewards that are unique and possibly account bound (unique skins, titles, etc.) or increase the gold value of rewards so it matches the time and EFFORT that it takes to complete the content.

Like the requiem armor set? And the other collection sets? They already have unique sets that takes effort and you cannot buy those from tp. Not to mention titles like fractal god. Time consuming, needs dedication and effort to gain. 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Diktator.8927 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is nothing unique in the game. You are neither unique nor special for having something even the account bound on acquire stuff. There are hundreds of thousand if not millions of other people with the same thing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is nothing unique in the game. You are neither unique nor special for having something even the account bound on acquire stuff. There are hundreds of thousand if not millions of other people with the same thing.

To be fair, unique in GW2 does not necessarily mean one of a kind. In fact ANet uses the term in game for another purpose entirely.

Personally I think of it, in the context of an MMO, as being something that I can show off to my circle of friends who migbt then ask how I got it. I might then work on helping them to get it too. Ultimately it doesnt really matter if people that I will never meet, interact with, etc also have it. A rare weapon feels special, another pile of glittering dust does not.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/23/2022 at 1:26 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Playing 'all' other MMOs does not mean this one needs to be changed to be more like them. 

Exactly this, The reason most of us play GW2 instead of the other mmo's is that its different to all of them, GW2 is meant to be the different mmo. If they made it the same as others, what would be the point of GW2 even existing anymore. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, AlexVoyd.8094 said:

GW2's moneytization starves the actual game from rewards sadly. All cool skins are behind real money. "But you can buy gems with gold" many would answer to this.Yes it's true. Let's analyse where this leads though: Since there is no gear progression in the game, everything comes down to gold per hour. People who don't enjoy fractals are doing them cause they are the best GPH. People asking for 500 LI for Boneskinner, cause it is a waste of time(thus gold) if you wipe.Some maps are dead because their GPH isn't the best.

Most of the gem store skins are ugly.  As soon as my friends tell me that they're glowy/shiny, I'm out.  My favorite armors are all in-game, such as spearmarshal,  commando/buccaneer, stalwart, cultural armors, luminous (birthday armor), etc.  

So in the end, EVERY reward in game is related to gold. Which is boring. And makes everything a "rush". 

I, personally, prefer this as it means that there is a universal obtainability of what you want without having to engage in particular areas of the game you dislike.  I especially do not want items to be locked behind purely RNG means, such as random drops from certain enemies.  This makes for an incredibly frustrating situation.  Note: I'm referring to account-bound drops, as unbound drops can be traded on the TP which makes it obtainable by other means.

Add proper casting bars,both for player and the bosses.Let me know if my granade 2 is ready. Dont punish me for interrupting my auto-chain to use CC.You shouldnt punish me for being good.

As a good player, I don't need any indicators to let me know what is or is not on cooldown.  I also do not need cast bars to know what skill is being used and can interrupt enemies, including other players, with ease.  The game is meant to be played without staring at a UI.  However, this goes back to your point about visual clutter, which is problematic.  By the way, I've been blind since 2014, so I have not needed the UI for a very long time now.  However, I will add that audio feedback shouldn't be culled out, as the culling makes me miss certain information.

Overall, your point about visual clutter is emphasized here, and I agree that players should be able to see the actual animations with ease.

The rest of your stuff I don't really have much to comment on.  I do remember that screen clutter and FX have been long-standing issues.  I do remember the lack of UI customization was the first thing I noticed in the betas (coming from GW1).  

On 6/22/2022 at 12:01 PM, Hotride.2187 said:

Season passes for what exactly? Living world seasons?

For some reason people aren't able to affiliate regularly obtainable living world seasons as a continuous revenue stream on par with subscriptions and the like.  Perhaps if it was renamed Living Subscription: Season #.

12 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Its so funny having this thread and after a day or 2, a dev post with "dude, wheres my cursor".

And they do what? They add a high contract cursor option. They don't try to reduce visual noise so you can see kitten. No, they make sure you can see your cursor.

At first when I read it I was like "hey this is good" and 2 seconds later I was "wait what about the visual clusterkitten".

The cursor fix was a small project that can be finished while waiting to execute their phase of the project.  This means that their activity was on the critical path and required the completion of a previous step before work can begin.  In that short time frame, a redesign of all in-game visuals would not have been possible.  That is far too large a project.

9 hours ago, Diktator.8927 said:

Also one of the reasons why I'm not really compelled to do harder group/raid content is because of stacking and the overreliance on boons. Everyone sits in the same spot, trying to do the max dps rotation with their character, with supports providing constant boons. It just seems boring to me. You can't even see things properly (this ties to clarity) and are just sitting there spamming spells. The classes itself don't matter, only the boons they provide matter. With the balance patch, more classes will get access to certain boons, but in the end it's just going to be as bland, maybe even more so. Everyone will end up being able to do everything, and when you tie that to the lack of trinity system, it just makes me stay away from PvE group content even more. 

I mostly agree with this.  However, it seems to be a behavior that consistently appears with MMORPG's specifically.  Raiders tend to identify the quickest way to complete activities through mathematical analysis.  This involves optimizations on many different things, including character placement.  

To change this, there would have to be a massive redesign in how allied support is executed.    If everything is converted to preclude range limitations and, instead, focus on party/squad members, this would have an effect on open world.  How would such a system work where there are no party or squad members?  

While I would love a redesign of core game mechanics to break up the stacking playstyle that's emerged, it would be a massive undertaking.  I'm not expecting it, but agree that it would be nice.  Even so, how long until players optimize the new combat system so as to return right back at where we started?  That's the thing about optimization, there is a single right answer.

One reason for getting something in-game is because you like it, not because of what others think of you because you have it.  I'm not a fan of positional goods (items that only have value because others don't have it).  What you are describing, and what other players refer to as "prestige", is nothing more than the idea of positional goods.  You value items simply because of the number of players that don't have it, which I don't really care for.

Next, the reason to play content is for the enjoyment of it, not the rewards.  The game should not revolve around hits of dopamine because you got something shiny on the screen, but rather enjoyment of the gameplay itself.  However, that's just my opinion.  We all like different things.

Anyways, it seems that ArenaNet designed the game such that you can obtain what you want without resorting to playing specific parts of the game.  There are exceptions to this, such as legendary items, but it seems to align with their "play how you want" design philosophy.  

If things were to change such that the majority of items are awarded exclusively in a narrow portion of the game, how would this affect the larger player population?  Would this make the majority of the player-base happy?  Or would people feel like they have to do things they don't enjoy because they want a specific item?

As for the overall drop/loot system, realize that the more times valuable stuff drops, the less valuable it becomes.  Rare items were rare in the beginning of the game's life.  Now, players tend to brush it off as junk.  This will hold true for anything pertaining to "valuable" loot.  More frequent "valuable" loot won't be valuable, they'll just be frequent drops, exactly like how rare items are now.

The more gold that everybody gets, the less valuable gold becomes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Some people might find this site useful: https://immortius.xyz/wardrobe-unlock-analyser/

Annoyingly I can't link to search results, but if you pick Display Mode: Advanced, Base Filter: Include and then use the filters below to exclude skins obtained with gems, gold and whatever other methods you personally consider invalid then scroll down it will give you a list of everything left.

Even with gold, gold vendors, gems, black lion chests, statuettes and tokens, and buyable materials like ectoplasm excluded there's a lot left. (Also that's not a complete list, because it excludes things which cost gold, ecto etc. and another currency, like the glorious mistforged armour from PvP. You do have to use ecto to get it, but more importantly you need ascended shards of glory from PvP tournaments.)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/23/2022 at 3:51 PM, Artemis.8034 said:

It really depends, I mean if a person is spending 20 dollars a month or two buying outfits mounts keys utility ect then yes a sub would be better value because you get all that in game. But if people are not buying outfits and mounts and w/e then a sub has no value for them because they dont want to spend for those mounts outfits w/e. So they wouldnt want to pay a sub. Oh and before people mention buying gems with gold, you can also pay subs with ingame currency. I was just saying people that dont wont do it anyway

Its not the $20 a month.. its when the sub ends you go back to peasant mode.. and can no longer enjoy or play the game like you could...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/24/2022 at 2:18 AM, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

What would you consider as more meaningful rewards?

Gear like exotics Armours Weapons and Trinkets, precursors and living story mats. boxes of t6 leather or similar glowy gear skins etc.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

OP states 130days /played , people answer him "maybe you'd play more to get it".  As if 3120 hours isnt enough to judge a game 🤡

- They never tried to fix visual noise, its not gonna start tomorrow sadly. They've even been warned months ahead that DE is basically unplayable for some type of daltonism. We've been asking for an option to turn off visual cosmetics (especially infusion) for years now. I could go on but lets keep this answer short-ish.
-The lack of sub fee is probably the main thing gw2 got for itself.  I'll somewhat agree with you it partially restrict rewards to keep the gemstore money flowing. But imo this doesnt reflect a problem with the gemstore, but with the way the game tries to motivate / reward players as a whole : 

Imo its all about how they'll market it : GW2 is a game that's mostly made for 9 to 5ers, and the generic "TOP MMO, with over X millions users" wont do. If you're too casual and dont wanna involve yourself in the community, you'll struggle even with core content and concepts barely explained in the game such as salvaging. If you're hardcore you'll run fairly fast out of things to do (outside of collecting for collection's sake).
When 99% is optional (including knowing what your spells do, as long as you have the proper stats on your gear), the game gives you no drive to try to improve. The only thing that'll keep you going are either self imposed goals (be it just the story, or all the cms), or the social aspect of the game (guildmates and whatnot). And you have no reason to believe they'll come back instead of moving on when more content is released, unless they had fond memories of that experience.

Lastly, I foresee a good amount of negative reviews if they dont make it clear you also need to buy LWs for the full experience

Edited by Taclism.2406
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Honestly, I like the fact that GW2 is pretty close for external modding. Other MMOs often suffer from various UI mods, that tends to heavily affect player performance, resulting in toxicity, power discrepancy and other things that are hard to fix. 

Visual noise is also something I like here. Meta events looks epic, because of that. But I understand, that this is heavily affect effectiveness for some people. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, Taclism.2406 said:

OP states 130days /played , people answer him "maybe you'd play more to get it".  As if 3120 hours isnt enough to judge a game 🤡

As @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said the /age command returns both the number of days since your account was created and the number of hours you've been logged in, and the first one is pretty meaningless in this context because no one can be playing 24 hours a day. It's possible the OP worked out how many days their hours played add up to, but pretty unlikely because it's a waste of time and obscures the point in a way that would work against them.

More importantly however as one of the people who said the OP needs more experience with GW2 before making suggestions on how to fix it I don't think it's got anything to do with when they created their account or how long they've been logged in. It's the fact that many of the suggestions make no sense for this game, like asking for the LFG tool to show the roles for each person in a group when the majority of group content has no official roles, so there is nothing for it to show.

It would be like me going to the Elder Scrolls Online forum and asking why there's no way to pick between story mode and explorable mode in dungeons. That option makes sense in GW2 but not in ESO because there is no seperate story mode, they're both the same.

Aside from some things which are common complaints (but highly unlikely to be addressed by Anet for some reason) like visual noise, the whole list reads like someone who has just discovered GW2 isn't exactly like their last MMO and sees that as a problem to be fixed, instead of accepting that it's a different game and things won't all be the same.

• Like 6

Many of the things you mentioned are the reason people play this game. I would have never started playing the Guild Wars franchise if it was sub based for example.

Just another "Guild Wars 2 needs to be the same as my other favorite MMO" post.

Edited by Crono.4197
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Unlikely, OP played 24 hours per day.  As /age indicates hours played over days, I surmise OP didn't do the math to convert hours played to days. 

https://prnt.sc/XNVsBkY09wvt

But you are missing the point, which is to keep any new players who will come after steam release

7 hours ago, Crono.4197 said:

Many of the things you mentioned are the reason people play this game. I would have never started playing the Guild Wars franchise if it was sub based for example.

Just another "Guild Wars 2 needs to be the same as my other favorite MMO" post.

I respect that!

Regarding my mention of "roles in the LFG", it was just an example of lack of clarity.

The point of my thread wasn't to make GW2 like the rest of the MMOs. I, like you, enjoy GW2 for what it is and I like that it doesn't want to be like the other MMOs. That doesn't mean though that "lack of clarity" is a nice goal to have in order to be different. GW2 is already different enough from other MMOs, a clear screen with the in-game rewards of each activity won't make GW2 look like WoW. The clear combat won't make GW2 like FFXIV. Sure, my request for the non-interruption of your auto-attack chain comes from FFXIV. Like in GW2,they used to interrupt your combos if you wanted to use a spell that wasn't supposed to be used in the chain but they realised that this way they punish players for using utilities that are supposed to be used in certain situations (for example:use a CC spell to interrupt or a heal).

Other games had mounts and GW2 used to be THE game that doesn't have mounts,cause mounts kill immersion. And what happened in the end? GW2 has THE BEST mount system in the genre. Don't be afraid of change,if it is implimented correctly. Having UI options won't ruin your unique experience. Neither having a seasonal pass will. It will be like an ALL-IN reward track, that will reward your time spend in the game with the unique loot that is now behind real money that you probably wouldn't buy anyway.

Thanks for all your kind responces ❤️

Edited by AlexVoyd.8094
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1