ArenaNet Studio Update: June 2022

48 minutes ago, Valdel.7325 said:

Mechanist has a role in PvP and I've played PvE for a first time in years due to the easy going nature of it. In WvW however it's destroyed in seconds, has pathing problems over a battleground and needs the elite to get it back in the game without the really long cd, leaving you a sitting duck due to no toolbelt skills. It can work in small groups and roaming a bit, but clever players take it out or just tank it and come and wallop you.

Ah, thanks for the info. As much as I love my mechanist in open world pve, I rarely see one in WvW and figured there must be a reason why it doesn't work so well there. That's why I haven't tried my mechanist there and now I know there is good reason not to.

13 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Its funny reading through this, and just wondering how else Anet will continue to ruin their own game. Why were dungoen NPC's locked as well as the currency change? all that was needed was the currency change but instead they went and implemented it in a way no normal person would. Multiple changes now that make no sense besides trying to make people quit this game. 

WvW players were promised one year ago, that we would get alliances. 

And balance patches from Anet, have always been terrible, will they outdo the terribly badly designed Feb 2020 update? Will Warriors finally be removed from the game? Will the classes be so incredibly similar and boring to play? The worst design line I ever saw in my life was " Bring the player not the class". 

Downvotes aside, it appears I was correct, they did manage to outdo themselves, 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 6/23/2022 at 4:39 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Any players that would be capable of doing that are already able to do the very same thing (and turn raids into a meme) even without that buff. Nothing's going to change.

This. The idea that this will be abused is absurd. Speedclearing groups aren't going to take the time to /gg. It's faster to just kill it. My static does CMs which this won't even work with.

For people/groups that are learning, this will give them some breathing room to see the mechanics and hopefully not 1-shot die just because they didn't avoid the red circle. It is a massive time penalty for a party to wipe in raids. If anyone reading doesn't know, the boss resets completely in raids after a wipe. You have to do all the pre-event things for bosses like Dhuum all over again before he even stands up and you can begin hitting the actual boss. It takes a lot of pulls on a boss for you to begin noticing the mechanics. Hardstuck.gg has a great post and image showing all the information on your screen that you have to pay attention to inside a raid. Having a little bit of space to make mistakes can help you learn it better on each pull (or boss attempt).

I really like this and think it is a positive change and will hopefully lead to more people trying the content and wanting to progress in it. Every pull they do, they'll do a little bit better.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Profession update is atrocious, as expected.

I would like to thank Guild Wars 2 for killing off the warrior profession. A so-called "melee" class without protection, regen, substantial damage, lack of CC. But HEY! We have high base toughness, HP and apparently quickness. We're good right? (/sarcasm) Guardians and revs are better versions of warrior, you responsible for "balance" have proven this for YEARS now. Seems to me that is what the philosophy is. ("Guardians and revs, what fine warriors! Oh...and that other meat-shield...I forget the name...") Except now, it's not even the 'shield' anymore. It upsets people that meat uses a shield to fight back. Now, it's just the meat.

No, I will not play bladesworn or reroll to another main class (aka guardian, rev, necro, engi which gw2 seems to want to push). Instead, I'm just going to keep my money and NOT buy this expansion. I might even recommend others to do the same for the 4th one you've planned.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Profession update is atrocious, as expected.

I would like to thank Guild Wars 2 for killing off the warrior profession. A so-called "melee" class without protection, regen, substantial damage, lack of CC. But HEY! We have high base toughness, HP and apparently quickness. We're good right? (/sarcasm) Guardians and revs are better versions of warrior, you responsible for "balance" have proven this for YEARS now. Seems to me that is what the philosophy is. ("Guardians and revs, what fine warriors! Oh...and that other meat-shield...I forget the name...") Except now, it's not even the 'shield' anymore. It upsets people that meat uses a shield to fight back. Now, it's just the meat.

No, I will not play bladesworn or reroll to another main class (aka guardian, rev, necro, engi which gw2 seems to want to push). Instead, I'm just going to keep my money and NOT buy this expansion. I might even recommend others to do the same for the 4th one you've planned.

Just leave the game and not threaten to do it. I mean we as community cant stand that after every single update (dragon end meta, fractals, raids, strikes etc) people are threatening with leaving to make them change everything. I mean you cant please everyone, and im not talking about this update specifically, in general. Arenanet shud center in developing the game they want and thats it. Thats what happened with gw1 and it was a success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

36 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Just leave the game and not threaten to do it. I mean we as community cant stand that after every single update (dragon end meta, fractals, raids, strikes etc) people are threatening with leaving to make them change everything. I mean you cant please everyone, and im not talking about this update specifically, in general. Arenanet shud center in developing the game they want and thats it. Thats what happened with gw1 and it was a success.

Except that I did leave the game(1.4 years) as a result of the 2020 update. I come back to it at the height of EoD release only to find warrior in a worse state than when I left! And it was already pretty bad 1.4 years ago. So, I already tried your plan...didn't work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

Rip my Warrior at the first place than all the rest power builds that ive got... that means ive got like at least 30 trinkets to salvage... what was i grinding that for? Ive spent lots of time gearing my characters and i dont understand whats the point of making em useless? On the other hand, even if for some strange reason i continue playing guild wars... its gonna be gw1.. since i dont see myself carrying longbow on melee heavy armor character... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I am part of the target audience for emboldened, so I want to share my experience:

When raids first came out for GW2, I tried them.  It took me 3 months of training and practice to beat VG, and I was so burnt out that I stopped playing for quite a while.  Now, to be fair, I had wrist issues at the time and could not use a mouse, so that did genuinely hinder me.  However, disabilities are a very real thing.

A couple of years later, I came back to the game at the same time as a bunch of old guild mates, so we refounded the old guild and recruited some new folks as well.  Many of them had never tried raids, so we learned together.  (By this time, my wrists were doing better, so I was able to use a mouse again.)  It took 6 months to get all the bosses of the first 4 wings except Deimos.  It took 3 additional months for me to get Deimos, but some got Deimos separately and had attendance dropped off.

I'm not the best player, but I did learn and get better.  I went from a bad player to a mediocre player with a bad case of tunnel vision.

Along the way, I've encountered a number of players who believed that any failure was because people did not understand the mechanics and refuse to believe that anyone who understood the mechanics could fail.  There's something to that, but it's not entirely true.  I remember learning Sabetha and would frequently miss the throws.  It's not that I didn't know where to throw it.  It took a couple failures for me to figure out that I was throwing short and that I needed to run forward a bit before throwing the bomb.  Technically, that's part of the mechanic, but generally not something covered in an explanation or video.  It takes practice.  Even knowing that, I can screw up 20% of the time.  That's a failure in execution, not at knowing the mechanic.

The other thing I encountered are people who join from LFG but quit after the first attempt fails -- even though the description clearly said TRAINING or STILL LEARNING.  Do I think those people would join an emboldened run if it has reduced rewards?  No, I don't.

Why would anyone accept reduced rewards if they can defeat the boss without emboldened?  Except that if the community thinks that way, then it will be incredibly difficult to fill out a missing spot on a training run, which makes raids less accessible and defeats the purpose of emboldened if people refuse to use it.

Do you deserve more for being better?  Sure.  However, by getting the same amount much faster, you get more rewards per hour -- those are your increased rewards.  And that's why people from LFG bounce after the first failed attempt.  Reduced rewards from emboldened would only make the problem worse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1