June 28th Patch Notes : Ranger Changes

Sandzibar.5134

Ranger

Spirits

• Spirit skills now affect 5 allied targets.
  • Spirits no longer apply effects when an ally in the radius strikes an enemy. Instead, each spirit applies a boon to allied targets in the radius at each 3-second interval. The Nature's Vengeance trait increases the base duration of these boons by 50% and causes spirits' activated skills to apply alacrity to allies in an area.

Spirits and their applied boons are as follows:

• Water Spirit: Regeneration
  • Sun Spirit: Vigor
  • Storm Spirit: Fury
  • Stone Spirit: Protection
  • Frost Spirit: Might

Beastmastery

• Pack Alpha: Fixed an issue with certain ranger pet skills not having their skill recharges reduced, or reduced incorrectly, by this trait.

Marksmanship

• Clarion Bond: Fixed a bug that caused the icon shown by Clarion Bond to remain on the skill bar after its effect triggered.

Nature Magic

• Nature's Vengeance: This trait now increases spirits' base boon durations by 50% and causes spirit-activated skills to apply alacrity for 4 seconds on up to 5 allied targets in the area.

Skirmishing

• Spotter: This trait has been reworked. It now grants fury to allies while in combat, applying fury with a 3-second duration on a 10-second interval.
  • Hunter's Tactics: Bonus damage while flanking increased from 10% to 15% in PvE.
  • Vicious Quarry: Bonus critical chance from fury increased from 10% to 15% in PvE.

Druid

• Grace of the Land: Might applied on activation reduced to 1 stack for a 10-second duration in PvE only.
  • Lingering Light: Now gives passive astral force generation while not in Celestial Avatar form. While in Celestial Avatar form, grants 20% increased outgoing healing as well as 10% increased outgoing healing for 10 seconds after exiting Celestial Avatar.
  • Natural Mender: Increased outgoing healing bonus per stack from 1% to 1.5% in PvP and WvW.
  • Glyph of Unity (Celestial Avatar): Healing of tethered allies may now occur once every 0.5-second interval. Healing can now be triggered by regeneration or other healing-over-time effects on the player.
  • Ancestral Grace: Increased healing attribute scaling from 0.5 to 1.0 in PvP and WvW.

Soulbeast

• Leader of the Pack: In PvE, the personal stance duration granted by this trait has been reduced to match the PvP value of 20%.
  • One Wolf Pack: In PvE, recharge reduced from 80 seconds to 60 seconds and duration reduced from 8 seconds to 6 seconds, matching PvP values. In PvE only, damage coefficient per strike increased from 0.63 to 0.95, and interval between strikes increased to 1 second.

Untamed

Hammer
  • Heavy Smash: Damage coefficient increased from 1.2 to 1.4 in PvE only.
  • Wild Swing: Damage coefficient increased from 1.0 to 1.5 in PvE only.

Ranger Pets

• Poisonous Maul (Juvenile Murellow): Fixed an issue in which the poison duration and number of stacks did not match the tooltip.
  • Icy Maul (Polar Bear): Fixed an issue in which the incorrect condition was being applied to enemies.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 8

Soooo...

-They removed everything Ranger used to stay playable and in return we got tools that are worse than other classes making ranger a worse choice for team content. (Also is ranger now the only class that doesn't have a passive team buff in trait?)

-Untamed got even less changes than expected and the changes we got are 100% worthless since hammer is still not good as utility or DPS weapon.

-We got PvP and WvW buffs that (surprise surprise) do nothing since CA has way too big downtime and the pet takes boons and healing, making ranger a DOWN SIDE to the squad.

Well better luck in half a year.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Leader of the Pack: In PvE, the personal stance duration granted by this trait has been reduced to match the PvP value of 20%.
One Wolf Pack: In PvE, recharge reduced from 80 seconds to 60 seconds and duration reduced from 8 seconds to 6 seconds, matching PvP values. In PvE only, damage coefficient per strike increased from 0.63 to 0.95, and interval between strikes increased to 1 second.

I didn't even see this.

Vindictive assholes. Why even keep Ranger in the game?

• Like 12

49 minutes ago, Sandzibar.5134 said:

Soulbeast

• Leader of the Pack: In PvE, the personal stance duration granted by this trait has been reduced to match the PvP value of 20%.
  • One Wolf Pack: In PvE, recharge reduced from 80 seconds to 60 seconds and duration reduced from 8 seconds to 6 seconds, matching PvP values. In PvE only, damage coefficient per strike increased from 0.63 to 0.95, and interval between strikes increased to 1 second.

Haven't really done the math, but won't the change to OWP be a pretty big hit to our already middling DPS? Increasing the interval to 1 second means drastically fewer damage procs from this skill. I...I don't understand why they felt the need to further reduce our damage.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Canidae Canis.2861 said:

Haven't really done the math, but won't the change to OWP be a pretty big hit to our already middling DPS? Increasing the interval to 1 second means drastically fewer damage procs from this skill. I...I don't understand why they felt the need to further reduce our damage.

Well... I think if shared is currently 6secs to team with a 1/4sec interval = 6 x 4 potential strikes

After patch it will be 4 x 1 potential strikes.

24 vs 4 = 84% reduction? but they increased the dmg coeff by .32

NeRf SoUlBeAsT tO mAKE UnTamED BeTter! - Anet Dev work ethic.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

the change to one wolf pack makes no sense. people only complained about one wolf pack in WvW where you can use it to rapid fire someone down in half a second. no one has ever complained about it in PvE. yet they change it in PvE and leave it alone in WvW. mind boggling 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Holy spotter nerf...went from 9s of increased precision every 3s to...3s of fury on a 10s interval? That's actually worse than light on your feet, but surprised we don't have to burn an evade to get spotter...

Also doubting anyone takes spirits in WvW, they'll still die incredibly fast and who knows how large 'in an area' is...for all we know it's like 300 radius.  You also have to take nature's vengeance to get alacrity, meaning you have to not only take NM but also give up a pretty big defensive option in protective ward.

Also ,these massive streak of untamed changes still are making me lmao.  Most of us called nerfing soulbeast before untamed even came out to make people use it, but they still need to make untamed attractive in other ways 😂

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 8

General

• Spirits : It is cool to have a new role (and my first alac character in pve along with tempest). As I said when they announced the rework I am not convinced a soulbeast will be able to keep up with the group and keep the spirits alive in fractals.
  • Spotter : This trait is going to be a lot of fun for group composition. I am not sure how Vicious quarry is affected. (edit 2 : it looks like I missed the icd 😕)
  • Hunter’s tactic + vicious quarry. Cool!

I think those changes are (mostly) good in PvE. Especially for power ranger which was a bit behind other professions and would have struggled a lot to give alac and deal damage.

edit 3 : Spirits and spotter are only a minor source of buffs without the trait which is a bit sad. Also I wonder without spirits buffs and spotter how benchmarks and professions are going to be affected.

Druid :

• Grace of the land : Not much to say.
  • Lingering light : I said a few days ago that I would not try druid again unless it was as a healer (edit : in PvP). This is probably what I needed to give it a try!
  • Natural mender and staff : nice
  • Glyph of unity : I am ready to try this one! Probably not in PvE but in PvP it sounds cool.

Some of the other points are not addressed. It still has a 20s cd, you still have no support outside of CA, you still lose everything on downstate.

Suggestion : I wonder if I should make a thread for that but since the introduction of untamed I had in mind to give druid a new skill F6. This new skill would swap your glyphs between “normal” and “healing” mode at any time.

Soulbeast :

• Leader of the pack : Sad.
  • One wolf Pack : Omg that hurts! This is a massive burst nerf!

I guess the idea is to make power ranger have a smoother dps curve with the skirmishing buffs. The overall dps still seems higher but this is not going to work well in fractals (staying behind the boss is not guaranteed) and I would have hoped to see something else like a buff to allies. I hope to never see this in PvP in the future !!!

Untamed :

• Hammer buffs : ok

Buffs are always welcome. Since the preview of untamed I said that it was not meant to be a challenger for soulbeast so I am not as “disappointed” as others. I love it in open world and in PvP.

Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, aymnad.9023 said:

Since the preview of untamed I said that it was not meant to be a challenger for soulbeast

I mean it's not even a challenger currently, it's just not very useful in any game content. 

I'd say it's more like "inexistent"

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sarnai.8107 said:

I mean it's not even a challenger currently, it's just not very useful in any game content. 

I'd say it's more like "inexistent"

It does have a decent spot in PvP as a roamer and probably can also be a duelist like any ranger spec. While slb makes better use of stats in general, I have more fun playing untamed in open world.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aymnad.9023 said:

As I said when they announced the rework I am not convinced a soulbeast will be able to keep up with the group and keep the spirits alive in fractals.

of course you won't keep alacrity - the spirits will die Unless the spirts are not going to lose their lives

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cytoplasma.8216 said:

of course you won't keep alacrity - the spirits will die Unless the spirts are not going to lose their lives

Yes this is going to be a huge problem… On druid you can try to babysit them but good luck having a pug group thinking about them if you are slb.

Edited by aymnad.9023