New alliance & guild member caps

Elenna.3769

Hi!

From the latest blog post I noticed the planned alliance (and thus member guilds') capacity. Is that a separate capacity guilds can set on how many of their members can set it as WvW guild? I hope so, because otherwise large PVX guilds will be damaged as they can't join alliances, even if only a small part of their members are participating on WvW.

Anyways, I can't wait to see Alliances finally in the game!

1 hour ago, Stonemist.4680 said:

This is still WIP Design, but the current thinking is individual Guilds will have the ability to give Permission to members to select that Guild as their WvW Guild. This allows the Guild Officers to control who will fill their allowed Alliance Capacity. It's one of the major things we will want feedback on during an beta test (not the next, probably 2-3 beta's down the road.)

• Thanks 1

I guess I need more clarity on this as well. As I read it, It sounds like an Alliance would be made up with the entirety of 2 or more guilds. This occurrence is also locked to a 500 member capacity. In my mind, meaning that if 2 large guilds had 300+ members up to the full 500.. they could not form an alliance! Only smaller guilds with both having 250 or less members would benefit.

The guild I lead on Fort Aspenwood typically has 400+ members in it, and we have an "Alliance" with another guild of 400+ , with 3 other guilds (pop. 100-500 each) interested in committing to the alliance too!

I surely hope this is not the case, and that the end result of the Alliance system matches that of GW1. In which, you could have the full guild capacity with up to a certain number of guilds. 10 guilds, 1000 players was the GW1 limitation. GW2 has 5 guild slots per person with up to 500 players per guild. 5 guild, 2500 Member capacity sounds to me like the only right and proper limit. 

Now if Alliances were formed in another matter, for instance: Alliance can hold 5-10 guilds. Each guild leader and/or officer can select up to XXX amount of players from their own guild to become a "WvW Alliance Member". If we have 10 guilds, 150-250 players seems sufficient. if we have 5 guilds, 250-500 players seems right. The full amount of numbers of course would hardly ever be in the same instance at once.  Trying to get more than 50 people herded into any map is a challenge in and of itself. (QoL: Make all map instances and queues have clear population amount/limit perhaps, and/or raise the limit by 50-100 (general maps) and up 200+ for WvW maps?)

This would however, allow many groups of players within the alliance to participate at varying time and time zones and still represent the Alliance!  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, GewRoo.4172 said:

This is still WIP Design, but the current thinking is individual Guilds will have the ability to give Permission to members to select that Guild as their WvW Guild. This allows the Guild Officers to control who will fill their allowed Alliance Capacity. It's one of the major things we will want feedback on during an beta test (not the next, probably 2-3 beta's down the road.)

Thank you for that info!

39 minutes ago, GewRoo.4172 said:

I hope they are open to expanding the cap. I can already see some Guildmasters not allowing to choose their guild for participation if they are not active enough, because they would block spots for potential more active players. 

At least 2-3 Betas down the road? So probably no Alliances in 2022. 

25 minutes ago, Lucavi.9783 said:

I guess I need more clarity on this as well. As I read it, It sounds like an Alliance would be made up with the entirety of 2 or more guilds. This occurrence is also locked to a 500 member capacity. In my mind, meaning that if 2 large guilds had 300+ members up to the full 500.. they could not form an alliance! Only smaller guilds with both having 250 or less members would benefit.

The guild I lead on Fort Aspenwood typically has 400+ members in it, and we have an "Alliance" with another guild of 400+ , with 3 other guilds (pop. 100-500 each) interested in committing to the alliance too!

I surely hope this is not the case, and that the end result of the Alliance system matches that of GW1. In which, you could have the full guild capacity with up to a certain number of guilds. 10 guilds, 1000 players was the GW1 limitation. GW2 has 5 guild slots per person with up to 500 players per guild. 5 guild, 2500 Member capacity sounds to me like the only right and proper limit. 

Now if Alliances were formed in another matter, for instance: Alliance can hold 5-10 guilds. Each guild leader and/or officer can select up to XXX amount of players from their own guild to become a "WvW Alliance Member". If we have 10 guilds, 150-250 players seems sufficient. if we have 5 guilds, 250-500 players seems right. The full amount of numbers of course would hardly ever be in the same instance at once.  Trying to get more than 50 people herded into any map is a challenge in and of itself. (QoL: Make all map instances and queues have clear population amount/limit perhaps, and/or raise the limit by 50-100 (general maps) and up 200+ for WvW maps?)

This would however, allow many groups of players within the alliance to participate at varying time and time zones and still represent the Alliance!  

Not every member of a guild will choose that guild as their WvW guild.  So.. two 500 member guilds could be allied, however, only if an average of 250 each selected those guilds as their WvW guild.  

That cap is not supposed to change even if more people end up selecting them after.  Those people above the 500 limit would not be considered part of the alliance until the reshuffle takes place again (? 13 weeks) 

So even the big PvX guilds, could be selected as the WvW guild.  It’s just that the overall numbers would be capped.  

From the initial look at the UI, the alliance leader would know the current amount in the alliance.  

Just now, Trigarta.3841 said:

I hope they are open to expanding the cap. I can already see some Guildmasters not allowing to choose their guild for participation if they are not active enough, because they would block spots for potential more active players. 

At least 2-3 Betas down the road? So probably no Alliances in 2022. 

We don’t want them to expand the cap,  the whole point of world restructuring was to have smaller pieces to pair up for world creation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucavi.9783 said:

Judging from the mock ups they've put, it should work this way:
alliance is created with a limit of 500 --> Alliance leader (or who has permits) invite a guild and when doing so, he sets the max number of players he wants from that guild. So, if the leader invites a pvx guild with 400+ players but only 20 are interested in playing wvw, then he can send the invite setting only 20 as the maximun guild capacity. --> members of the invited guild have still to select their current guild to actually be matched into the thing.

Sooo using this guild-capacity number (which is different from total guildmates number or selecting players number) an alliance leader can actually take the best from all the guilds without having to kick one just cause its wasting the alliance capacity.

Then of course Alliances are still being worked and things can change.