This patch is just straight up bad from the bottom up.

1. Ignores necessary Harb & WB nerfs.
  2. Randomly tweaks Specter for better performance even though it didn't need it.
  3. Nerfs One Wolf Pack, which will drop Soulbeast out of viable performance when it was mediocre at best to begin with.
  4. A plethora of other unnecessary changes that not a single person advocated for, that will do nothing but power creep pve even further than it already is, but do absolutely nothing to help balance your competitive modes.
  5. Acts like it tries to buff things that needed buffing but then misses the mark by buffing a bunch of unnecessary stuff in the wrong places that won't make an impact at all.

Pretty much sums up what's going on for spvp.

That's too bad man. This patch is a real bad sign for the future of spvp and even wvw.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• Trevor Boyer.6524 changed the title to This patch is just straight up bad from the bottom up.

I think in wvw the cele build needed the runes that grant might on weakness application, so probably it won't use other runes (it needs the might to deal "enough dmg"). And the Hollts build at least uses unholy martyr, which for wvw roaming makes a lot of sense. But build was broken anyway (and didn't get touched).

If you get even a fraction of that garbage in conquest... good. Share my disgust with the spec.

4 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

I think in wvw the cele build needed the runes that grant might on weakness application, so probably it won't use other runes (it needs the might to deal "enough dmg"). And the Hollts build at least uses unholy martyr, which for wvw roaming makes a lot of sense. But build was broken anyway (and didn't get touched).

If you get even a fraction of that garbage in conquest... good. Share my disgust with the spec.

You talking about Harbinger? They run Antitoxin Runes in wvw, which essentially makes them completely invulnerable to condition damage.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It's evident from the patch notes that all these balance-changes were made purely with the mindset of making the game easier ("more fun") for casuals PvE'rs who want to stack up at a raid boss's foot and mindlessly go through their skill rotations.

The PvP and WvW-only changes do very little to fix the issues in PvP.  I actually don't think major overhauls were needed, but there's some no-brainer, low-hanging fruit, like just adding a clearer visual tell for Harb's Shroud5 (and perhaps upping its CD, since it's better than most class's elite skills).

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

You talking about Harbinger? They run Antitoxin Runes in wvw, which essentially makes them completely invulnerable to condition damage.

Yeah cele harb. Lol, them too on antitoxin? I thought they had to invest more for 25 might. Clown mode.

This is going to do nothing but bring in a stale bunker meta

Druid / Rev / Tempest / Chrono / Necro / Thief / War sustain buffs plus alacrity spam means mindless use of CDs. Harb will be a necessary evil now to do anything

P.S., they didn't nerf OWP in pvp, just pve

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Yeah cele harb. Lol, them too on antitoxin? I thought they had to invest more for 25 might. Clown mode.

Nope, all you need is Draining & Absorption sigils and you are pretty immortal in any 1v1 or even 1vX situations at times. The Draining will deal 1000 life steal damage on all targets you interrupt and also heal you 1000 health, and it has no CD on that effect. The Absorption sigil will steal 3 boons from all opponents you interrupt, no CD. You get your might from stealing boons.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Topher.5631 said:

This is going to do nothing but bring in a stale bunker meta

Druid / Rev / Tempest / Chrono / Necro / Thief / War sustain buffs plus alacrity spam means mindless use of CDs. Harb will be a necessary evil now to do anything

P.S., they didn't nerf OWP in pvp, just pve

Pretty sure they said that OWP is getting the delay time in which it can deliver the extra damage increased, in all modes. It used to be 1/4th second interval to deal the extra damage. Now they are making it straight up 1 second intervals before dealing the damage.

That is an insanely insulting heavy nerf for pvp. I mean it won't be playable after that in higher tiers. Soulbeast will be done. It won't be able to deliver the kind of burst required during Barrage/Rapid Fire to be useful after this patch.

It'll also become much weaker during bursting in pve. Even with the 20s reduced CD, it won't make up for 1/4th interval turning to 1s interval. That's an enormous loss in DPS when those build's benchmarks were relying on OWP to work great with things like LB2 LB5, Axe5.

It won't even be useful for stance share in pve either. Condi Soulbeast may as well run Entangle after this with no stance share.

It was a really dumb change. It's like they are going out of their way to kill the viability of Ranger across the board in all game modes, while simultaneously buffing the hell out of things that were already top meta in every game mode.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 2

Please explain to me how a patch that brought 2 nerfs to Specter and 0 buffs to it "Randomly tweaks Specter for better performance even though it didn't need it.". Am I missing something, or did you misread the change as increase rather than decrease?

Edit: Ok you definitely didnt actaully read the patchnotes, because the Soulbeast change to One Wolf Pack was PvE only. It has no impact on PvP.

Edited by UNOwen.7132
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

Pretty unremarkable patch for PvP.

I'm glad they're starting to undo at least a handful of those nasty nerfs we've gotten since 2/2020, but I have to keep it real I don't feel like any of this is going to do all that much to shake up the PvP meta. 

Maybe our "big balance patch" will come later this Summer, or is this it? 🤔

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

I've said in the past "CmC is getting some decent changes, patches are small but good and he's definitely improving".

With the benefit of hindsight, I don't think it was my best take.

In your defense, for a while, things didn't look so bad.

The February 2020 patch was really controversial and mostly hated, but I think it was overall a good patch that was quite targeted and actually good for the game on the whole, and although there were outliers (300 second traits, Warrior not having a trait letting it do non-crit power damage on CC, etc), I believed these things would be addressed accordingly and waited with optimism for subsequent patches. Then, right after this big patch, the coronavirus pandemic made it so they couldn't make good on these adjustments. They couldn't coordinate to do something like designing new traits, and an entire year passed with small number tweaks here and there trying to play foam hammer whackamole with Necro and Guard. 

Then the expansion announcement came out of nowhere, and shortly after, over the next year it became clear balance and skill adjustments were frozen until EoD release. So here we are now, another year, EoD is released, the new specs are lacking unique identities and competing with old ones, and also the devs are only just now essentially being able to look back on those old Feb 2020 changes and make changes.

But with all the additions brought from new specs, and also relying on players to give them balance feedback (and the player numbers in competitive are low right now), coupled with the devs themselves not playing competitive GW2 frequently (I believe the ones that do are a minority and don't play enough competitive PvP in any capacity to be considered an invested player like some who post here) - I think the devs are overwhelmed and lost, there is a LOT of feedback from passionate vocal minorities but my instincts are they find it too much to parse.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Couple things this patch potentially did.

Make support vindi viable

Make support spectre meta/viable

For vindi it depends on the numbers 

For spectre they already had a solid stealth support and this could make them very good for stealth ressing/barrier generation. Below is just an example.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PagAsqlFwCZisNWLOUPnxdA-z5YHC6DA

Spellbreaker still wont be good enough

Catalyst got a QoL change and is already gaining in popularity.

Druid will still die too easy as a support

Willbender I think could be fine with 1 less flowing resolve.

Harbinger didnt get the nerf it needed

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Take notes. This is how game design look like when it is being made by disconnected people who have never touched the game in their life yet are allowed to develop it for some reason. If it wont make any of you drop the game then idk what else will. Left in 2016 (played since launch) now just lurking around to check patch notes and it get worse and worse. Literally lol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7