Ageism is now okay with Anet? Not with me. Remove Hate Speech from Guild Wars 2 Immediately.

I am saying the same thing as others here, yet I get downvoted and others get upvoted?? 

Regardless, it would be helpful to me if someone can clarify where I went wrong, as perhaps I am misunderstanding. I have specific opinion on this, just curious.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ogwom.7940 said:

I am saying the same thing as others here, yet I get downvoted and others get upvoted?? 

Regardless, it would be helpful to me if someone can clarify where I went wrong, as perhaps I am misunderstanding. I have specific opinion on this, just curious.

This forum doesn't have up or down voting, only "Reactions".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

drive me back to drink.

No! Just no!

1 hour ago, Ogwom.7940 said:

There are lots of emoji trolls that will spam the useless "confused" emojis regardless of what you say. Then there are those who would use that on every one of your posts if you disagree with them on an issue. And the funniest are those that will upvote themselves with multiple accounts because they think it shows them as winning an argument. Seen a few of those where a considerable number of "like" emojis are given to certain people within minutes but not to another who says exactly the same thing.

Those reactions, either for or against posts, are rather silly, imo.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hrm if Well of Senility caused confusion and fear I could understand the name.  I suppose the name should be changed, just not for the reach that OP is making.
From what I have read, senility seems to be synonymous with the onset of alzheimer's. For centuries it was just assumed that old folks became forgetful and confused. 
Senile was only used as slur against late middle aged people who were forgetful. The point being that they were too young to be senile so why are they so forgetful?  
Senility was seen as a normal part of being ancient and some cultures referred to it as "second childhood" 

3 hours ago, MakeItFit.7062 said:

I was reading through the "interesting" patch notes today. While I was reading, confused and ready to give feedback, I was shocked and horrified to find this - it stopped me in my tracks:

"Well of Recall: Renamed Well of Senility."

Maybe I am naïve, but I wanted to think that Anet was a company with a moral compass and some values. A place that promoted equality and did not tolerate hate speech of any form. It's a company I have invested thousands of hours and thousands of dollars into. Guild Wars 2 is a game that is near and dear to my heart. Now they have coded hate speech into their game, and apparently for no reason at all. Why did you need to rename this skill in the first place, and furthermore - why did you go to such a degrading and insulting place with it? For those who do not know, ageism is a form of discrimination and hate towards senior citizens. Ageism refers to the stereotypes (how we think), prejudice (how we feel) and discrimination (how we act) towards others or oneself based on age. Anet needs to address this immediately and is now practicing Institutional Ageism. Institutional Ageism refers to when an institution or company perpetuates ageism through its actions and policies (like making fun and making light of senility and memory loss). I can tell you won't be playing your Chrono much less your game if this is okay with your devs. What's next?

If your team is not aware, you have a very large age range of players. I WvW with an octogenarian. I met the most lovely woman nearing 90 years of age one day at the Octovine and we became friends, ironically - she played Chrono. This hits me on a personal level, though. I lost my father to dementia a year ago, and my stepmother to Alzheimer's, as well. Making light of "Senility" is no longer considered "COOL" or okay. It's flat out hate speech. It's degrading to your community, whom you are quite out of touch with. Remove this trash from your game.

I concur, the Well seems to be about aging an enemy but the descriptor could be so many things:

Well of Ages

Well of Time Shearing

Well of the Future

*trigger warning* This is the equivalent of having a skill infect a creature with, lets say a weakened immune system, and calling it Well of AIDS.

No, Anet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

I don't know enough about the history of the word to be chiming in on ageism, but it does seem like an odd thing to rename the ability to regardless. I guess based on what I can find about the ability history, the idea is that since it no longer provides alacrity to allies "When it expires it restores memories to allies", they don't want to call it Well of Recall anymore because that aspect of it is gone.

So how about something more neutral-sounding like Well of Memories. That can still work with the idea of it stealing memories from enemies.

Edit: Or how about "Well of the Forgotten" (more high fantasy-sounding and still vague enough I think)

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Batel.9206 said:

Wow. People really will actively look for things to be offended by.

I mean, if you're not actively looking for things to be offended by, what are you really doing with your time, these days? I mean, you can't possibly just be like, enjoying life, friends, activities online and treating things as sheer and simple entertainment, can you? 

I don't know about you, but I'd MUCH rather get all apopletic about 'well of senility' and create a mountain out of a mole hill.

(Sarcasm, for all those readers who literally won't understand the above is ALL sarcasm and that I 100% agree with the person I quoted)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Illurim.6059 said:

I mean, if you're not actively looking for things to be offended by, what are you really doing with your time, these days? I mean, you can't possibly just be like, enjoying life, friends, activities online and treating things as sheer and simple entertainment, can you? 

I don't know about you, but I'd MUCH rather get all apopletic about 'well of senility' and create a mountain out of a mole hill.

(Sarcasm, for all those readers who literally won't understand the above is ALL sarcasm and that I 100% agree with the person I quoted)

See, I think this kind of reaction is just nonsense though because we all know that when it's an issue we care deeply about, we will speak up, sometimes pretty aggressively. So it's like, it's one thing to say "this doesn't affect me personally and I don't understand it," it's another thing to say "people as a whole are getting offended about things too easily (as if I don't)" when the reality is that we all get pretty het up when it's our issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Just now, Labjax.2465 said:

See, I think this kind of reaction is just nonsense though because we all know that when it's an issue we care deeply about, we will speak up, sometimes pretty aggressively. So it's like, it's one thing to say "this doesn't affect me personally and I don't understand it," it's another thing to say "people as a whole are getting offended about things too easily (as if I don't)" when the reality is that we all get pretty het up when it's our issue.

You're being as ridiculous as the OP. If you honestly believe this drivel you just posted, I feel sorry for you and I hope life gets better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Labjax.2465 said:

Your vicious reaction is just proving my point lol.

You think that was vicious? I think you're inventing in search of an argument I'm not willing to have becuase you're being ridiculous. Have a great day and again, I just really hope life gets better for you. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Illurim.6059 said:

You think that was vicious? I think you're inventing in search of an argument I'm not willing to have becuase you're being ridiculous. Have a great day and again, I just really hope life gets better for you. 🙂

You said I'm being ridiculous, called it drivel, and said you feel sorry for me lol. What do you think vicious is.

I don't have to search for anything, people like you are the ones who came into OP's thread to talk down to them. Essentially got offended at the fact that OP finds this to be an issue and said other people get offended too easily.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

24 minutes ago, Illurim.6059 said:

No, that's not vicious. It's truth. One day you'll have enough life experience to understand that.

Not remotely offended; highly amused. I know you *want* me to be offended because it feeds your self-driven narrative that you're championing some cause and carrying some torch that you desperately need to, but no, you couldn't be further from the intersection of "logic" and "funny" if you tried. Re-orient your map to get out of "wtfsville" and "you're not proving what you think are" valley.

That's a lot of words to say that you are way more invested in this than you will ever admit. Pretending not to care is a classic defense of someone who cares very much. One day you'll have enough life experience to understand that. Someone who actually doesn't care just won't bother to engage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

56 minutes ago, Tasida.4085 said:

Hate Speech? Ageism? Where?  Wow guess I just can't see the forest for the trees....smh

If you want to argue that its not intentional hate speech or ageism that's fine but creating a skill based on the degradation of an old person's mind is a bit tone deaf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

7 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Now that you mention it I am surprised nobody has complained about Cripple yet

They have but just to be clearer- getting crippled is different than being a cripple.

For example, something called "Crippling Punch" is not offensive as in maybe a heal trait that says "Overcoming being a Cripple."

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7