Will Alac Tempest be skill split?

Kuma.1503

6 seconds is a very long duration without boon duration. It's tied to overloads, which means we may see a resurgence of Fresh Air Tempest. 

This is already a build I enjoy playing on occasion. Either when I want to troll the enemy team with Rune of Radiance and AoE Shocking Aura Spam, or when I wish to play a DPS Tempest. Usually with Dagger/Warhorn or Scepter/Warhorn. 

A skill split wasn't mentioned, but there's no way they let the base 6 second duration. 

...I mean, they let Harbinger go through, but that's different. That's Necro. They're not going to allow this on Ele.

• Haha 2

I'm not sure its wise to split it yet, not until we have some real-world use first.

You're viewing it from the point of a DPS build. Supports are already giving up HealShout for it which is a huge tradeoff. It'll mostly be taken for selfish reasons, and will rarely be featured on actual support builds since lack of HealShout on Auramancer builds greatly limits the Ele's ability to do damage and heal at the same time (Water attunement isn't damage).

On top of this Alac already has only limited use in competitive modes since it corrupts to Chill, so using it in battles can be a double-edged sword especially versus Necros, which are omnipresent. This means its not as useful to a sidenoder as it may seem to be, in almost any matchup there's a Necro, or two, or three..

It'll probably end up being one of the weakest additions to Ele's aresenal in the long-term.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I'm not sure its wise to split it yet, not until we have some real-world use first.

You're viewing it from the point of a DPS build. Supports are already giving up HealShout for it which is a huge tradeoff. It'll mostly be taken for selfish reasons, and will rarely be featured on actual support builds since lack of HealShout on Auramancer builds greatly limits the Ele's ability to do damage and heal at the same time (Water attunement isn't damage).

On top of this Alac already has only limited use in competitive modes since it corrupts to Chill, so using it in battles can be a double-edged sword especially versus Necros, which are omnipresent. This means its not as useful to a sidenoder as it may seem to be, in almost any matchup there's a Necro, or two, or three..

It'll probably end up being one of the weakest additions to Ele's aresenal in the long-term.

Hmm... Good point on the boon corrupts. And Fresh Tempest also has meh cleanse. Necros always gotta ruin the fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm going to try it out regardless. Alac feels really good on Ele, and if it does end up enabling some kind of DPS build I am determined to find it. Will report back after the patch if I manage to throw together something workable. 

This will be the second time since before the many Heal Mech nerfs that alac was allowed to exist with high uptime in PvP. The alac was enough to carry the core engi kit and make Mechanist usable even when the Jade Mech was dead. Will the same be true of the core ele kit? Lightning Flash, Earth shield, Mist Form, Shocking aura + transmute, all recharging faster. There's potential there. 

If the end result is something that falls short of meta but is at least fun to play then we can say Ele got something positive out of the patch.