Match making ques are broken correct?

Infinity.2876

If I'm really bad and lose a bunch of matches then I should get matched with other people who are equally as bad right?

(If so then I should not be getting used with harbingers)

The match making system seems like I'm getting used with whoever is hard irrelevant to rank

Can anyone confirm?

In Ranked, yes?

3 minutes ago, Infinity.2876 said:

If I lose a bunch of matches then I should get matched with other people who are equally ...?

In theory, yes. In practice, no.

Its all really down to queue time because the matchmaker will start searching for players further and further from your rank the longer you stay in queue. 

Typically, longer queues = more imbalanced matches though not always

(If so then I should not be getting used with harbingers)

If this is about harbingers, there's really nothing to be done about that.

Its a popular class for obvious reasons. They're going to be everywhere at all rankings.

And thanks to our benefactors, this is set to not change anytime soon.

The match making system seems like I'm getting used with whoever is hard irrelevant to rank

Can anyone confirm?

We're all being used by the people who are hard to matchmake for.

The wintrader cartel may be small, but they are remarkably efficient due to their experience.

If only they were remarkably efficient at the game itself, rather than at gaming its matchmaker. Then maybe our legends wouldn't be so counterfeit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The queues are empty, rather. So the ranked matchmaking breaks. If you have 2 hands and at least one eye you will probably get in the same matches as p2+ players. Even in unranked I'm getting barons and up in my games, its like no1 plays the mode. I wonder why.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 1

Its because players don't really understand how the matchmaker works.

Here's how they imagine it working:

Team 1: Silver, Silver, Silver, Platinum, Bronze (due to queue time stretching the rules a bit)

Team 2: Silver, Silver, Silver, Platinum, Bronze

Here's how it actually works:

Team 1: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum+Platinum (Duo Q)

Team 2: Bronze, Bronze+Platinum (Duo Q), Silver, Gold

The game only looks at various factors, like average team rating, not at individual rating. When you queue up, you aren't getting a full team of Silver or Golds, you're getting every single rank in the game mixed together in a soup, with duo Qs messing that up, and the amount of time you spent in the queue further skewing it.

And then you get class desparity like, a Gold-1 player on Harbinger being equal to a Platinum-2 player on Berserker.

On top of this, the matches are rigged from the start, and the matchmaker will intentionally try to put you in losing matchups in order to force a 50/50 win rate if your wins are above 50%. Likewise if your winrate is below 50% it'll try to put you in matchups that you'll win by default, resulting in winning'losing streaks. This is why PvP seems alot easier when you're a bad player, and is alot more stressful when you're a good player.

Basically, the game mode punishes being good by taking away the fun.

There's nothing that can be done except to get more players to reduce these problems, but the devs don't do anything about the game mode, nor do they try to attract players to it in any way.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

The game only looks at various factors, like average team rating, not at individual rating. When you queue up, you aren't getting a full team of Silver or Golds, you're getting every single rank in the game mixed together in a soup, with duo Qs messing that up, and the amount of time you spent in the queue further skewing it.

There's nothing that can be done except to get more players to reduce these problems, but the devs don't do anything about the game mode, nor do they try to attract players to it in any way.

It sounds like they could remove, split, or otherwise limit DuoQs and that would at least be a good start.

• Like 1

In a world with enough people of near equal rating, you should get matched with people that have a rating close to your rating.

But we don't live in such a world and thus there are far from enough players with ratings close to each other to have fair matches.

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 6/25/2022 at 2:30 PM, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

It sounds like they could remove, split, or otherwise limit DuoQs and that would at least be a good start.

weve been screaming thia from the rooftops ever since they removed solo q, its never coming back unfortunately.

Everyone would have to boycott ranked for lime a month, even then anet mind not even notice/care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rider.6024 said:

weve been screaming thia from the rooftops ever since they removed solo q, its never coming back unfortunately.

Everyone would have to boycott ranked for lime a month, even then anet mind not even notice/care.

Wouldn't count on them having a care, even if we did all stop playing.

Personally i'm not going to play without a solo competitive option either way. Already contributing to the boycott before it was cool.

If I had to ask for something else - If Ranked is going to be trash then at least share some of the rewards with Unranked. Reasonable, yes?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

If I had to ask for something else - If Ranked is going to be trash then at least share some of the rewards with Unranked. Reasonable, yes?

As long as players don't fight tooth and nail (guard & necro) just for the rewards, even in unranked... Sure. My unranked game yesterday had a core guard support and core necro on the opponent team. We had 2 mesmers 2 wars and I-dont-remember-what. We lost even though one of their players was on treb all game...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

As long as players don't fight tooth and nail (guard & necro) just for the rewards, even in unranked... Sure. My unranked game yesterday had a core guard support and core necro on the opponent team. We had 2 mesmers 2 wars and I-dont-remember-what. We lost even though one of their players was on treb all game...

I feel you. I wish I had more in the way of advice here. If its any comfort, people in Unranked are more likely to be testing builds and taking things less seriously so you might be like 10% less likely to run into what you don't want to run into.

I think that Ranked's rewards should be in Unranked exactly as they are now. Points for losing and just being there, all of that. 

Those rewards encourage casual play, but they're exclusive to the competitive queue and not the casual queue. Doesn't make any sense to me outside of the need to bait people into playing their broken Ranked arena.

• Like 1