A question on the celestial set...

Hi all,

Coming back from a very long break and wanting to either use one of my current characters or build a new one and start over. I'd like to spend all the money I have to get started with a celestial set but have some questions before I do that.

What class/spec would get the MOST benefit from a full celestial build? Taking into account the changes that are coming end of month, if that makes any difference. I'm looking for a top 3 list of what people think would be the best suited spec for it.

Also, is it customary when using celestial gear to also go with Runes of Divinity and Sigils of Stars to maximize that + all stats?

Thanks folks,

Mod

p.s. I currently have these toons at 80: mesmer, ranger, revenant, guardian, warrior. I've been thinking of starting up a thief or an elementalist, especially if they work well with celestial.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Generally speaking you would want to run a build that has hybrid damage output to make use of all the stats.

Most elementalist builds have both condi and power heavy skills, just due to their sheer amount of weapon skills and with water attunement they usually have innate access to even more healing skills that benefit from the healing power. Since they are the squishiest class, they tend to also appreciate the extra vitality and toughness the most.

Necromancer with a combination of Soul Reaping and Curses, taking all the boosts to condition damage and crit can be good but I found it a bit lacking without scourge to consistently be able to deal both power and condi damage at the same time.

Then probably guardian because you have good power damage but also innate condition damage through frequent burning.

And finally engi because kits usually have both power and condi damage so almost all of them will be able to use the stats.

So in overall order for profitting I would probably rate ele first, guard second and engi third.

I don't think running stars and divinity is common with Celestial, usually you would want to run a rune that matches your traits / skills and what kind of boons you generate. For open world, pack rune is almost always nice for the base set of boons it gives you on the start of each fight. Strength runes are very nice for most classes that can generate a decent amount of Might on themselves like Ele (depends on the build) or especially Herald. Flame Legion runes can be great on guard because it improves burning and direct damage which is exactly what guardian has.

Some runes have on-heal or on-elite effects that make them especially good on some classes, for example engineer can use on-elite effects really often compared to other classes by running mortar kit.

In general I'd recommend your runes to be something that has a more active interaction with your build and gameplay. They should either provide something unique your build lacks (like boons) to function better or integrate with what your build is already doing.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAgilZwQYHMP2JOqLprNA-zxIY1ohvMysAKNBUZW26MC-e

This would be a rather old school core celestial elementalist build that has great boon generation through the arcane trait line and the many auras, basically making sure to always have Fury, Swiftness and Might and even decent Regeneration and Protection and good sustain by constantly attacking and switching attunements.

The coolest thing about core Ele (and this build) ever is its access to fire fields and a ton of blast and leap finishers, making it so that you can stack up your might even higher by using blasts inside your fire combo fields or refreshing your fire aura and there's generally a lot of variation available depending on if you need more condi cleanse through Smothering Auras or whatever. Works equally well running focus off-hand instead of dagger.

Edited by Endaris.1452
Added build suggestion, spacing, wording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Celestial works well for hybrid damage builds with good access to boons and healing.  Catalyst, weaver, and firebrand are probably the best suited to this type of build in solo play.  Having said that, a lot of classes have builds that work well with celestial, offering high sustain with solid damage.  The builds that work best usually deal more condition damage than they do power and have the ability to stack a lot of might to offset the low power and condition damage stat on celestial.

In groups, it probably isn't a great option and would only be used by a hybrid support class like firebrand in some cases.

A couple of example videos of two very different celestial builds for solo play:

Celestial Staff Mirage

Celestial Weaver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Modrigan.2701 said:

What class/spec would get the MOST benefit from a full celestial build? Taking into account the changes that are coming end of month, if that makes any difference. I'm looking for a top 3 list of what people think would be the best suited spec for it.

Also, is it customary when using celestial gear to also go with Runes of Divinity and Sigils of Stars to maximize that + all stats?

Celestial specs typically excel when a class can use every part of the stat set AND make up for the inherent shortcomings of not having any stat "maxed." Classes that do that best tend to be the ones that self-stack BOONS, because they can make use of Concentration to inflate their other capabilities (Power, Condition Damage, crit chance, incoming damage reduction, self-healing) via maxing out on boons.

These also tend to be solo builds because group DPS builds rely on supports and group support builds can do very well in Diviner, Harrier, Ritualist, or Minstrel gear (though if your Cele build comes close to Ritualist DPS and having a bit of Toughness isn't an issue, I don't think it's bad to play Cele there).

For solo PvE, these are some of your best boss killers: Cele Weaver, Cele Mirage, Cele Mechanist.

I find Cele Firebrand, Cele Renegade, Cele Virtuoso, Cele Harbinger to be strong and fun in general solo PvE as well.

In WvW, Cele Harbinger is a total monster, Cele Revenant (all specs), Cele Elementalist (all specs), Cele Mesmer (Mirage or Virtuoso), Cele Ranger (all specs) are all quite strong roamers as well.

Should you use a Rune of Divinity? No. If you're playing Cele, you don't really need a little bit more of "all stats." You need more of whichever stat is doing the most for you, and sick special abilities that synergize most with your build. Good runes for cele builds tend to help with conditions or boon generation. Which is good will depend heavily on your exact profession and build choice. For example, Cele Harbinger benefits a ton from Rune of Aristocracy (Might stacking), Cele Mechanist plays well with Rune of Sanctuary synergy with their traits. If you want a "generic" rune I think Leadership or Durability are probably superior to Divinity for a lot of applications.

Sigil of Stars is okay-ish if you don't have anything better to take, but you can often do better with a Sigil that boosts condition duration (e.g. Sigil of Smoldering), helps you stack up to 25 Might (e.g. Sigil of Battle or Sigil of Strength), or dumps out extra conditions (e.g. Sigil of Doom).

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you folks for the very in-depth answers.

I may have to get my mesmer or guardian to try those out, but you may have sold me on creating an elementalist for this purpose. It's been years since I've played so I only have enough to equip one character to begin with.

And no on the runes, eh? Good to hear, I'll have to do more research on the specs you've all suggested and look into runes.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Modrigan.2701
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Modrigan.2701 said:

After looking through a few suggestions, I may dust off my guardian I haven't played in some 7-8 years. Firebrand seems fun in celestial.

Found this:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Firebrand_-_Celestial_Firebrand

Some comments in that link a few weeks back call for an update. Would that spec still work into the near future?

Thanks.

Keep in mind that Firebrand has lower Burning output than Core Guardian, despite the Tomes. This is because they lose an entire traitline that affects Virtue of Justice passive burn application.

The build you linked doesn't take good advantage of Celestial, it has hardly any sustained condition damage.

EDIT:

For solo play, try the following Power+Condi+Quickness build:

Power primary: Flame Legion runes, Sigil of Force, Sigil of Bloodlust, Bane Signet

Condi primary: Balthazar runes, Sigil of Bursting, Sigil of Corruption, Signet of Wrath

Radiance 1-2-1

Virtues 1-1-1

Firebrand 2-2-3

Mantra of Solace, Mantra of Potence, Mantra of Flame + Whatever Signet you chose, Feel My Wrath

Both builds have 100% Burning duration, and apply AoE burning stacks on every few attacks, sometimes reaching up to 20+ stacks depending on rotation. The only difference between the two gear choices is whether you want power or condi as your primary damage.

(You'd need to chose your food accordingly too.)

Here's an "okay" hybrid if you don't want to commit to either stat:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWxAEt/lRweYTsKGJWyWVPdA-zxIYVl6H+MqQK0hKwkzifKbA-e

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Thanks 1

Seems most of the detailed answers have been covered, so I will just give personal specifics.  I play a Celestial Firebrand and with Runes of the Traveler, less for the all stat boost than because of the extra duration, and I really like a built in speed buff (although that might be a result of having played so much pre mounts).  I also run a Celestial Tempest with Runes of the Pack (Celestial will get FB crit, with modifiers, high enough, but not so much for Tempest, Pack helps, plus the extra Fury uptime fills some gaps.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Erich.1783 said:

Seems most of the detailed answers have been covered, so I will just give personal specifics.  I play a Celestial Firebrand and with Runes of the Traveler, less for the all stat boost than because of the extra duration, and I really like a built in speed buff (although that might be a result of having played so much pre mounts).  I also run a Celestial Tempest with Runes of the Pack (Celestial will get FB crit, with modifiers, high enough, but not so much for Tempest, Pack helps, plus the extra Fury uptime fills some gaps.)

I am running a Celestial Firebrand with Runes of the traveller as well - it's a great combo for open world - I really like the speed.

I was originally running my Firebrand in full Trailblazer's and it never really meshed with me, but full celestial seems to work so well.  It's got tonnes of utility, defense and great AOE damage.  With a slight tweak to my build I am essentially running a quickness firebrand as well - so in addition to being great solo it's a great 'team' character as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A lot of good builds here, I just want to add a note about acquiring celestial gear. Buying it from the trading post is pretty expensive, and there are a few alternatives:

1. Get stat-selectable gear: If you have Heart of Thorns, in Verdant Brink you can get bladed armor which can be set to cele. You can buy all but the chestpiece for airship parts. The chest you can only get from getting Tier 4 of the map meta.
  2. Crafting: if you don't already have crafting leveled, it may not be worth it but this is also cheaper than the trading post. One key with crafting is that all celestial gear requires charged quarts crystals which are account-bound and limited to one a day.

If you do buy off the TP, save yourself some money on the shoulders and get Shoulders of the Ebon Vanguard Choice Chest. It's only 3g and lets you pick any weight and stat combo.

I have started to collect a set of cele gear of each one of my characters. While it's not optimal, it allows you to test out a lot of new builds and experiment without having to get new gear sets all the time. If you get one set of ascended cele accessories, rings, and/or amulet from laurels or fractal, you only have to worry about getting additional armor sets / weapons for other characters.

Edited by Seon.8402
formatting
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cool! Jewelry costs a lot for sure. If you have some laurels saved up from when you played long ago from log-in rewards, you could use them for ascended celestial jewelry, or do fractals at least for the rings. They have slightly improved stats compared to exotic and are not bound to a character, so you can freely move them about if you want to try a cele build on a different class (especially trinkets, since they don't affect how your character looks). Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A few extra points on getting gear:

- You can get stat-selectable  Exotic armors from Verdant Brink, WvW, and PvP. A few days in PvP ranked with the Glorious Armor Reward Track will get you alot of Warlord's + Glorious Armor boxes, enough for a full set, and you make gold while doing it instead of losing gold. This is also about 1/10th the timegate of PvE crafting.

(Just make sure you use your Guild's Tavern boost to make it faster for PvP, and for WvW, some other types of boosts are available as well to make it even faster.)

- You can get stat-selectable Rare weapons off the TP (search for Bandit), which are good for underwater content, where having higher quality gear isn't as necessary as it is on land.

- You can get stat-selectable Exotic weapons of a few types (Sword, Pistol, Rifle, Staff off the top of my head) off the TP, search for Iron Legion (you might need IBS unlocked? I'm not sure..). Celestial stats are also directly available on Greatsword (Crystal Guardian), Mace (Shiverstone), and Shortbow (Stardust) that I know of.

- Celestial Ascended trinkets are available from many, many sources, the easiest being Laurels. Play WvW a bit or do some acheivements for the reward chests so you can get Badges of Honor and it'll cut the Laurel costs way down on the Amulet + 2 Rings by buying from the WvW Laurel vendor for mixed currencies.

- Obviously, the stat-selectable Ascended trinkets and backpieces from LWS3, LWS4 & IBS. Though this is arguably much more difficult than just buying them with Laurels for Celestial stats.

- Celestial stats are available on some Profession-specific armor and weapons, but I don't know which ones. They're relatively easy to get (both Exotic and Ascended), but limited in scope.

- (SPOILERS FOR HEART OF THORNS) Let's not forget about Caladbolg. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Knight_of_the_Thorn#achievement3387

TL;DR: Do about a week of farming and you can reduce the massive timegates and costs of Celestial to almost nothing, as long as you can stomach playing other game modes for a little while (its not that bad, really).

Furthermore, you don't need full Celestial in PvE in most cases. Just having a full set of trinkets and combining it with some four-stat gear (like Grieving) will get you most of the benefits. This is because trinkets cover over 50% of your stats, while armor & weapons combined are a bit less AND there's diminishing returns on all defensive stats because of how they work, so always prioritise trinkets when making builds!

I don't recommend going into WvW while half-glass, though, even though it works in PvE.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Erich.1783 said:

If you have LS3 and/or LS4 you can farm all or most (depends on which zones you have access to) Stat Selectable Ascended Trinkets from there.

LS3 has all trinkets including the underwater breather. Bloodstone Fen is good because there is a cheap way to change stats on those. So that's the backpack, amulet and ring I believe, so if you don't like a stat set you can change it on all 3 of them instead of having to replace them. Then there is Bitterfrost Frontier that has the breather as well as a ring and and accessory (as well as a backpack I believe). Now the good thing about Bitterfrost Frontier is that there is no account maximum for gathering map currency. So all your alts can gather winterberries every day. Anything you miss you can use other LS3 maps or LS4 maps for, since you can't use the same rings and accessories twice on a character.

• Like 2