Jump to content
  • Sign Up

If ANet want every profession to be capable of 100% crit chance...


Mungrul.9358

Recommended Posts

...why not just get rid of critical hits as a concept and buff all damage so it's doing what it would do as a crit?

 

I feel a lot of ANet's design decisions recently are like this, for example, making mobs harder in Cantha, but then introducing jade batteries and offensive/defensive buff stations to offset that difficulty.

You may as well have not made the mobs tougher in the first place ūüėź

 

To me, these kind of decisions demonstrate a lack of understanding of core systems on behalf of the current team at ANet.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
.
  • Like 23
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I was thinking this also. I played SWTOR for years and there are soft caps and hard caps in place for tertiary skills like crit. And that makes sense actually. To allow 100% crit chance and then have the crit damage bonus have such a high percentage, seems rather over the top. I mean fury is getting a boost. Why? It seems like Anet wants everybody to have 100% crit chance and then it comes to your point of why have it at all?

I think this game relies too heavily on boons as it is, but I guess that if they changed that it would require a lot of work because the combat system pretty much revolves around it. GW2 has a LOT to offer but the combat system is kinda meh for me. I stopped playing SWTOR because, well, the content that is coming out is essentially maintenance mode, but the combat system there did make more sense to me. 

Someone commented in a thread recently that the holy trinity of tank, dps and heal has simply been replaced by another trinity of alacrity, quickness and dps. Though it might not even be a trinity because there's also heals, so effectively Anet replaced the holy trinity with a holy quaternity of alacrity, quickness, dps and heal (though some players might do 2 roles at once). That aside, the main reason why I raided a lot in SWTOR an never have raided in GW2 is because of these boons being so vital to groups and to me the game of keeping up boons is just boring. 

Just my opinion of course.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I play other games now and they have two tiers of damage. And the tiers are not random. You always get 'crit tier' from hitting weak spots or hitting during certain animations, or phases. Otherwise the damage is 'normal tier'. It's to promote skillful play not stacking chance modifiers. It's 2022 and games are being a little more thoughtful than rolling the dice.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I play other games now and they have two tiers of damage. And the tiers are not random. You always get 'crit tier' from hitting weak spots or hitting during certain animations, or phases. Otherwise the damage is 'normal tier'. It's to promote skillful play not stacking chance modifiers. It's 2022 and games are being a little more thoughtful than rolling the dice.


those games belong to a different genre. Stats and and ‚Äúhidden‚ÄĚ dice rolls¬†still have a place in gaming if implemented right, and there are games out there that are definitely doing it correctly.
 

The problem GW2 has right now, and I believe it isnt too late to fix this, is that certain buffs have become too important/mandatory. The biggest offenders imo are:

 

- alacrity and quickness -  where the optimum rotations of most classes actually change if these buffs have full uptime 

 

Like, why even have these buffs if it‚Äôs mandatory? All it does is lock out some classes that dont have access to it from group content, and they have to be ‚Äúbuffed‚ÄĚ to get access to the skill for ‚Äúbalance‚ÄĚ purposes. All it is achieving is stifling build diversity. Better to just remove quickness and alac, and with the upcoming patch, 100% crit might be the next mandatory thing now because of the fury buff.¬†

Edited by HowlKamui.5120
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This would solve the discrepancy between power needing 3 stats and condi only 2.
But it looks like Anet believes people are thrilled by the feeling of getting a crit when no optimal crit chance is¬†achieved.¬†ūü§Ē
We also have to consider that making such a change would probably require a colossal rework.
 

Edited by Erick Alastor.3917
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There isn't an intended goal to get everyone to 100% crit chance. The fury and 5% crit damage traits were added not in service of this goal, but to try and help players feel compensated for the removal of spotter and banners.

Getting capped crit chance is about gear loadouts more than anything else.  Load up enough pieces of Assassin and Rampager and you'll get there.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

There isn't an intended goal to get everyone to 100% crit chance. The fury and 5% crit damage traits were added not in service of this goal, but to try and help players feel compensated for the removal of spotter and banners.

Getting capped crit chance is about gear loadouts more than anything else.  Load up enough pieces of Assassin and Rampager and you'll get there.

There should be no need for this. It's only adding an additional tier of complications to an already overcomplicated system, and due to this increasing the gap between hardcore and normal players to an even bigger degree (which i doubt was the intention).

Crit chance should be cappable by running full glass (berserkers or vipers) + fury, without any need to go excel spreadsheet mode for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Crit chance should be cappable by running full glass (berserkers or vipers) + fury, without any need to go excel spreadsheet mode for it.

But there would be no need for the gearsets that focus on precision if it were the case. Assassin is a full glass gearset yet it sacrifice power for precision. I don't see any issue in the fact that other full glass gearsets sacrifice something themselves that they have to compensate through other means. That's why I'm fine with berserker/viper no being able to crit cap just by having fury on top of their raw stats.

It's a matter of choices. Will you build for a reliable damage output or an unreliable one?

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

But there would be no need for the gearsets that focus on precision if it were the case. Assassin is a full glass gearset yet it sacrifice power for precision. I don't see any issue in the fact that other full glass gearsets sacrifice something themselves that they have to compensate through other means. That's why I'm fine with berserker/viper no being able to crit cap just by having fury on top of their raw stats.

It's a matter of choices. Will you build for a reliable damage output or an unreliable one?

Choices are good, but personally i'm not a fan of having so many of them the average player gets overwhelmed and lost. The system can offer a lot of complexity, but at its basis it should be relatively simple.

And it's not really a choice either - With the massive dps increase crit damage offers, going for a reliable 100% crit chance is a no brainer. Unless some really big changes to how ferocity works are made, in this game the unreliable option will always be inferior. And it's not just power dps either. Some condi classes are heavily dependant on the on-crit effects to the point where not capping crit chance is (again) a fools' choice.

This, again, increases the gap between average players and the hardcore ones. It even increases the gap between hardcore and more casually minded experienced veterans - those that will actually be running decent builds, but are unlikely to do the amount of optimization needed to max crit chance in the future environment, but are more likely to run a single stat builds. And notice how those players are already well above the average PvE representation.

So, sure, Anet can go and keep increasing complexity of builds, but they will be only making it harder for themselves to balance the content in the future. And indirectly hardcore players will also suffer, because this kind of balancing will leave them with either OW faceroll tier content, or content not enough players will run for Ant to bother sustaining it.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...