Ele with Longbow

solar.2083

1 hour ago, soulknight.9620 said:

Judging by anet love of ele i think we can agree that next elite spec weapon will be spear or harpoon gun. 

Does that mean Elementalist would get no weapon for unlocking the specialization and completing the specialization collection?

After all, Arenanet isn't going to make new skins for underwater weapons.

Edited by Fueki.4753

1 hour ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

I knew that Harbinger was broken but I didn't realize it was to this extent

I'll merely point out that the person on the balance team deciding what is 'fair and balanced' is also the person who designed Harbinger...

• Like 1

I dont't like idea of ele with longbow/shortbow. It's just doesn't fit class fantasy. Ele is master of elements, some kind of mage and shaman mix. Bows better fits for mesmers, they are master of ilisions and weapons. Personally I would like to see ele with mace as range weapon. Fits better and everyone would be happy to see at least new range ele spec 😛

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Jungario.6485 said:

I dont't like idea of ele with longbow/shortbow. It's just doesn't fit class fantasy. Ele is master of elements, some kind of mage and shaman mix. Bows better fits for mesmers, they are master of ilisions and weapons. Personally I would like to see ele with mace as range weapon. Fits better and everyone would be happy to see at least new range ele spec 😛

A bow would fit the class fantasy perfectly well, tho.

Arcane/elemental archers are a very well known and quite popular trope.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

A bow would fit the class fantasy perfectly well, tho.

Arcane/elemental archers are a very well known and quite popular trope.

This.

Longbow elementalist isn't my favourite possibility, but consider, for example, the Amazon of Diablo 2 and the Demon Hunter of Diablo 3, and those are just well known examples. There is definitely precedent for the concept. Probably more so than for mesmer, really.

9 hours ago, Jungario.6485 said:

Fire arrows/ Frozen Arrows / Lightning arrows / Solid arrows. i mean that will look cool as hell.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Because it will be ranged. It will be a nice RP build though. 

A ranged weapon doesn't necessarily have to be bad. Look at deadeye's rifle, it is currently the strongest dps build thief has access to with a benchmark of 39k.

A weapon becomes bad because it is badly designed, not because it is ranged or melee.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

A ranged weapon doesn't necessarily have to be bad. Look at deadeye's rifle, it is currently the strongest dps build thief has access to with a benchmark of 39k.

A weapon becomes bad because it is badly designed, not because it is ranged or melee.

True it doesn't necessarily but it likely will, simply because to be decent in this game, you don't camp ranged.

And yeah, De rifle gets 39K ... because anyone that knows how to play it knows they have to play it in melee  to get the buffs from their team to get that much DPS. 

The reason people are asking for a Lbow on Ele is so they can PLAY ranged. I mean, ask the OP why he wants Lbow on Ele ... it's not for DPS. It's for the 'cool factor' of shooting fire/air/garbage arrows.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

True it doesn't necessarily but it likely will, simply because to be decent in this game, you don't camp ranged.

And yeah, De rifle gets 39K ... because anyone that knows how to play it knows they have to play it in melee  to get the buffs from their team to get that much DPS. 

The reason people are asking for a Lbow on Ele is so they can PLAY ranged. I mean, ask the OP why he wants Lbow on Ele ... it's not for DPS. It's for the 'cool factor' of shooting fire/air/garbage arrows.

Yup, I want the option to play at range because if it is designed well and does decent damage I enjoy it a lot more than melee. Great I have to move into melee range to grab boons and for that it doesn't matter if I'm range or melee. When you throw in mechanics where the enemy teleports or moves around then it's much nicer to be ranged. I have definitely been having more fun on virtuoso than on catalyst because I can still play from range. Being ranged I don't lose anything for being up close to group up for boons but being melee I do lose out when there is movement or mechanics forcing you away, which is very important on a class without weapon swaps. There should be nothing wrong with people wanting a good option for ranged combat with eles. Not sure why someone has to complain that "ranged can't work" every time it's brought up when there are already ranged classes that do work in the game already. Yes, even with stacking for boons, ranged weapons can work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joswi.2635 said:

Yup, I want the option to play at range because if it is designed well and does decent damage I enjoy it a lot more than melee. Great I have to move into melee range to grab boons and for that it doesn't matter if I'm range or melee. When you throw in mechanics where the enemy teleports or moves around then it's much nicer to be ranged. I have definitely been having more fun on virtuoso than on catalyst because I can still play from range. Being ranged I don't lose anything for being up close to group up for boons but being melee I do lose out when there is movement or mechanics forcing you away, which is very important on a class without weapon swaps. There should be nothing wrong with people wanting a good option for ranged combat with eles. Not sure why someone has to complain that "ranged can't work" every time it's brought up when there are already ranged classes that do work in the game already. Yes, even with stacking for boons, ranged weapons can work.

Well, it won't likely  do good damage because good damage in this game doesn't come from the weapon, it comes from all the buffs you get from your team mates and the zerg standing around them while doing a rotation. Unfortunately, those are melee range buffs coming from people playing melee weapons (because range camping is not what good players do). The other option ... that's ALL it will be able to do ... and those specs are fragile and unstable, just like Virtuoso. So again begs the question why Eles THINK they want a ranged weapon?

I mean, YES ranges weapons CAN work at melee range. I even said that myself. That wasn't even something I disagreed with so why are you even talking about that? My point is that the OP is NOT asking for a ranged weapon because he wants to do DPS. He just wants fancy arrows to RP with.  At least the OP isn't delusional about why he wants a LBow ... while all kinds of other people are high on hopium that a ranged weapon will SOMEHOW going to be decent DPS, even at range. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

If longbow could be a thing I could imagine it being eles first 2 handed single target focused weapon in a similar style to scepter. 

It wouldn't compete with staff in that way then. Though we eles often like having at least some aoe.

While I am more in the melee camp, a new ranged option would be refreshing.

• Like 2