Exotic gear - mix stats, or focus stats?

I surveyed my Necromancer's Exotic gear today and the stats are a bit all over the place. I have a few pieces with decent focus on my chosen damage type (Condi), but other pieces I currently have equipped don't have any Condi damage at all. For example, the gloves my Necro is wearing are Power, Precision, Toughness.

Question: should I "mix" gear like this, or is it better to be laser-focused (in my case, on Condition damage)? Is it good to have some points in both Power and Condition, or is it better to pick one and focus only on that to the total exclusion of the other?

Another question: what is considered to be the best stat combo for a Condi build these days? Condition Damage, obviously, and I assume Expertise. What else? Vitality? Or Precision?

It is generally better to focus on one type of stats instead of mixing. There are a few situations where mixing makes sense to some extent, but it still needs to fit together (eg. berserker + assassin to optimise crit chance).

So if you want to focus on condi dmg, then every single gear piece should definitely provide condition dmg (and ideally also expertise). Viper's (condi, power, expertise, precision) is the go to choice for maximum dmg output, but for starting out in open world, you might also want to look into Trailblazer's (condi, toughness, expertise, vitality) or celestial (all stats) which offer more defense while still having decent dmg output on a condi build.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

+1 to what Umbra said.

Condimancer has a lot of flexibility in approach. I've used pure Carrion, mixed Carrion with Rabid to work in some Precision, etc. I've heard good things about Celestial, even. Meta is probably Trailblazer or something, but honestly a set of Carrion or even Dire is fine lol. You should probably post this in the Necro forum for best replies. 

• Like 1

Mixing stats can work, but it needs to be focused on the stats you're actually using. Some people do it to mimic stat combinations which aren't available, or to get specific values.

My ranger uses vipers with rabid trinkets in the open-world, because I use full vipers for organised groups where I can focus on pure damage but when I'm on my own exploring I like the extra toughness so I don't have to worry so much about evading all the big attacks, and swapping out just the trinkets is a good compromise (especially since I already had them).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Condi Builds:  You want Condition Damage and Expertise (condition duration). 

Power Builds:  You want Power, Precision (critical hit chance), and Ferocity (critical hit damage).  You make want to mix in some assassin's pieces to raise your crit chance, but, overcapping precision is a waste.

Stat combinations with toughness can make it easier to survive, but, be aware that some mobs focus the player with the highest toughness.  Toughness also only mitigates power or strike damage, not condition damage.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 1:45 PM, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

Question: should I "mix" gear like this, or is it better to be laser-focused (in my case, on Condition damage)? Is it good to have some points in both Power and Condition, or is it better to pick one and focus only on that to the total exclusion of the other?

A random smathering of stats is inferior to just running Celestial. (Since, with Celestial, you'll just have *more* stats.) Celestial is actually pretty good for open world sometimes, if your build both outputs powerful conditions and self-generates a lot of boons, especially 25 Might, but most of the benefits of it are wasted in group content.

In most cases it's ideal to focus on one gameplan. A lot of Condi Damage builds end up inflicting 70% condi damage + 30% strike damage, so they are kinda-sorta like "hybrid" builds — but they always prioritize Condi/Expertise stats and traits first and then just fill in Power/Precision/Ferocity for a little extra bump of damage on top of it; just think of them as "condi" builds even though they're running Viper stats and you can't go wrong.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:45 PM, Squeesidhe.4761 said:

Another question: what is considered to be the best stat combo for a Condi build these days? Condition Damage, obviously, and I assume Expertise. What else? Vitality? Or Precision?

Depends on the build. For most classes, the preferred Condi Damage stat array is Viper. But that's not true across the board because different classes will have different traits. For example, the go-to Virtuoso condi build really wants 100% crit chance because its main condi output is linked to a trait that puts Bleeding on critical hits rather than a specific weapon skill — but most condi builds won't really care.

For condition-based support builds, Ritualist gear is amazingly strong. I run it on Specter and I've gotten top DPS on occasion. (There's a Necro Harbinger quickness support build that only needs a few Concentration gear items but otherwise uses the same stats as full-DPS Viper necro.)

If you really like soloing hard bosses in open world rather than just doing normal exploration, you might want to run Trailblazer or Celestial gear for more sustain. (But there's no shame in running a more offensively-oriented build and just asking for allies in /map chat if you want to fight the Avatar of Balthazar in Auric Basin or whatever.)

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. What I ended up doing is switching out everything for full Ritualist, since I'm enjoying my Harbinger right now. Seems to be working well; barely anything can kill me, which I like, and the Conditions are a lot more fun now that I'm paying a bit more attention to what I'm doing. 

• Like 3

If you're playing Condition Harbinger, I recommend experimenting with builds a bit. There's three really good core trait lines for conditions:

• Soul Reaping — with great dps from Dhummfire and lots of shroud buffs

• Death Magic — with Corruptor's Fervor providing a lot of carapace stacks for very good defense

• Curses — very condition-oriented line, massively buffs both your Condition Damage and Precision stats

(And Blood Magic is also a solid support line.)

Trying them all is a good way to keep things fresh without having to invest in more in gear, and you may find that there are parts where you struggle in the game where switching up traits will get you through it.

I think condi harb is a really fun build and I wish you luck with it!

Edited by ASP.8093