Endless repair canister (regarding new update)

Could you at least give an option to people that bought it and have it to decide what they want to do with it? Options like if they want to keep it, get refunded or traded for something else. I'm sure some NOT all would like to decide for themselves, since when we bought it we bought it for repairing armor, not for some endless buff boost. Would not want to buy that and waste my gold on it. Think it would be fair to give people choice what they want.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Unlikely to happen.  Who would be willing to refund you?  Who would want to trade with you?  It's not like it is/was a Gem Store item. 

I'm asking Anet to refund us the gold that we spent or give us the option to trade it for another permanent/endless contract. Since something similar happened with introducing legendary armory. I spent gold for something that was advertised as "endless repair contract" NOT as "endless buff contract". So when you buy something and it gets change to something else people want refund. Because it is not what I wanted or what I spent gold on it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I don't have one but an option to trade for gems/gold or keep it would seem reasonable even if unlikely.  I understand things change, but I'd be bummed if I had a permanent contract and it was suddenly invalidated.  I didn't open black lion chests specifically for nodes but I'd be unhappy if they were suddenly taken out of my personal instance and replaced with buff rocks.....ooh.  ahh.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Yes, there should really be a procedure for this, else they are basically saying that your money means nothing and sure, they might get away with it, but it's a really bad look for a game that depends on people expecting their MTX money to get them what they paid for and the kind of thing that will have people worried about spending in the future.

Changing it into a buff refresh might satisfy some players, but others may view it as cheating them out of what they paid for.

I don't want to have to spend my time advocating for people on this and Anet, you know you don't want to spend the time trying to PR it, so do the sensible thing and give people a way to exchange it.

Hopefully they are already planning to and are just withholding details to avoid people rushing to get them to game it, but in case it's just negligence...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I think that, if you have to go to an anvil to get this buff, the buff will likely be significant enough that having a gizmo that gives it to you anywhere will be convenient.

And I think a lot of people agree with that, given the fact that once that news came out, the canister doubled in price on the TP.

Before your gizmo saved you time. Now, it actively buffs you. Dunno why you'd be mad at that. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

There could be a vendor that let’s you trade the endless repair tool for a contract. Then the contract you could sell on tp. To be fair I recently received one from bl keys, and I intend on keeping mine because having the permanent buff will be good to have. However, the anvil gives you 12-hr buff so really you don’t have to visit the anvil that much. We’ll see how it goes once it goes live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Susy.7529 said:

If you bought it in the past and you sell it now, you're profitting more than any refund of the original buy price.

When you take it out of contract it becomes account bound. All those permanent/endless needs to be double clicked to get the actual thing. You can't use it otherwise , and when you do that its account bound.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SexyMofo.8923 said:

Bait and switch. 

How is this bait and switch? The repair contract has been in the game for almost 10 years and has performed its advertised function during that whole time. The fact that the underlying function (armor damage) now changes can't be considered a "switch".

As for the question at hand, we don't even know if the contract will be renedered useless by the update. But if it does I'm sure that those of us who had the contract got full value out of it, so no refund should be handed out imo. It's simply the changing nature of the game - one of many over the years.

Edited by Zohane.7208
spelling
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zohane.7208 said:

How is this bait and switch? The repair contract has been in the game for almost 10 years and has performed its advertised function during that whole time. The fact that the underlying function (armor damage) now changes can't be considered a "switch".

As forthe question at hand, we don't even know if the contract will be renedered useless by the update. But if it does I'm sure that those of us who had the contract got full value out of it, so no refund should be handed out imo. It's simply the changing nature of the game - one of many over the years.

*describes switching one thing for another*

"that can't be considered a switch"

It's not "simply changing the nature of the game." It's changing the specifics of an MTX item people have already paid for. Defending such practice is like... wanting to have a bad experience as a customer.

People already don't like changes that fundamentally change a game they already paid for. They put up with it in MMOs, for the most part, because they are expected to change some over time; that's the standard. There is no standard for MTX following that same rule and all it does is reinforce the anti-customer concept that we aren't owed anything for what we paid for and it's all just rented stuff they can change or delete at any time. There is 0 benefit to supporting that concept as a customer. The only benefit to it is for companies. It is nothing but drawbacks for customers.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

It's not "simply changing the nature of the game." It's changing the specifics of an MTX item people have already paid for. Defending such practice is like... wanting to have a bad experience as a customer.

People already don't like changes that fundamentally change a game they already paid for. They put up with it in MMOs, for the most part, because they are expected to change some over time; that's the standard. There is no standard for MTX following that same rule and all it does is reinforce the anti-customer concept that we aren't owed anything for what we paid for and it's all just rented stuff they can change or delete at any time. There is 0 benefit to supporting that concept as a customer. The only benefit to it is for companies. It is nothing but drawbacks for customers.

I of course meant that it's not a "switch" in the bait and switch sense.

Also, people may need to read up on bait and switch: Wikipedia has the following definition:

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by salespeople to consider similar, but higher-priced items ("switching").

The product, again, was performing the advertised function for almost 10 years. There's no bait and switch here.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Would not 'MTX' items need to be something offered in the Gem Store, rather than something purchased with Gold from the Trading Post? 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Would not 'MTX' items need to be something offered in the Gem Store, rather than something purchased with Gold from the Trading Post? 

Well, the only "real" source for it is black lion chests, and the keys for these can be acquired with gems, so by a stretch of the definition of a microtransation it could be considered as such. I personally would not. (Besides you don't have to spend gems or other currencies to get the black lion chest key since it's also a drop in the game.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

Those on the trading post all came from black lion chests originally, that's why I call that the "real" source.

Exactly, the original source of the item is the black lion chest. The item offered is unbound so you can trade it, once you start using it, it becomes bound. It's still the same item just a different version of the item (unbound vs bound), but the origin is clear. Without opening black lion's chests neither the bound nor unbound version would be available.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Confused 3

I'm not sure ArenaNet/the entire playerbase considers items that can be acquired without spending any cash MTX.  Even if the majority are acquired with Gems.  Should ArenaNet take the time to investigate every item to determine if it (a key, for example) came from an in-game drop or in-game content or was purchased with Gems?  Should they investigate if the Gems came from cash or from Gold or Achievements? Do those items (that weren't solely acquired with cash)  deserve Gold or Gems as a replacement? 

Better yet , make it (and the anvil) offer some daily random buffs , but the canister allows you to "roll again once".

0.5% crit.

300hp

aura(rare) =>get it 20 times and you perma unlock it or sell it in the TP.

edit:Then do the same for Fractal agony resistance , that has a chance to perma "upgrade" your character with stats +1 +3  , rather than use it for some gatekeeping mechanic .

Or you if you get 20 times the -3stat and upgrade it , your character unlocked an aura and you should play more to gain stats to overcome the minus effect (endless loop).

Or dungeons *cought*

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 2