Searching for a character

Ok, this is a rather odd one.  I've been using this username, "Carnaxus," since 2005.  In all these years the only time I've ever found it to be in use is when I made an account in the past and forgot about it.

However.

I just got GW2 today.  I've never played before.  I just now tried to make a character named "Carnaxus," but was told that the name is in use.  I know that, with the size of the playerbase of GW2 compared to how many people browse these forums day to day, this is an extreme long shot, but does anyone know a player with a character by that name ingame?

• Confused 3

One option, at least until you find the person using that name, is to change it slightly. This game allows spaces in names and there's no restrictions on adding titles, nicknames etc. except a few words and letter combinations (like GM or G M) which aren't allowed. So you could add a surname (or first name) or a title like Lord Carnaxus. If you want suggestions for lore appropriate titles let us know the race, profession and biography choices you've picked (or are going to pick).

Secondly you can try adding them to your friends list in-game. Open the 'Contacts and LFG' menu and on the first tab type the name into the search box. That will add the account using it to your friends list and let you see when they're online and send them a whisper.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Just name it Carnaxsus and done.

...I hate that game.

In other news, I just discovered another of my relatively unique character names in use.  Looks like it is an old account of mine.  I swear I've never played GW2 before, but...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Carnaxus.4259 said:

...I hate that game.

In other news, I just discovered another of my relatively unique character names in use.  Looks like it is an old account of mine.  I swear I've never played GW2 before, but...

It could always be people with similar taste in names.

Both of those characters having the names you want might not even be on the same account.

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It could always be people with similar taste in names.

Both of those characters having the names you want might not even be on the same account.

That's what it'd be normally but it's been 17 years and I have never found anyone else using these particular names.  I mean I know it's not completely impossible, but the odds at this point are incredibly low, and made even lower by the fact that now there are two names.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Secondly you can try adding them to your friends list in-game. Open the 'Contacts and LFG' menu and on the first tab type the name into the search box. That will add the account using it to your friends list and let you see when they're online and send them a whisper.

I missed this part of your post before; just now did this and the character "Carnaxus" belongs to an account named "Adamantium."  That's definitely not me 🤣 There really is a first time for everything!

Edited by Carnaxus.4259
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carnaxus.4259 said:

That's what it'd be normally but it's been 17 years and I have never found anyone else using these particular names.  I mean I know it's not completely impossible, but the odds at this point are incredibly low, and made even lower by the fact that now there are two names.

It happens.

I've been using this username for about 20 years, I've gone through dozens of forums and other sites and encountered about 3 times I tried to use it and it was taken. But I wasn't even the first one to use it, and I think there must be at least 4 or 5 of us who use it, probably more. I just seem to have mostly different interests to the rest of them so we rarely cross over. But because I was able to use it in so many places it felt very weird when it was taken. My other username is Just_Me which is...pretty much the height (depth?) of uncreative and even then I was able to use it in a whole group of sites for years without a problem and can still usually get it when I want to.

Then there's my main character's surname: Aurorel. It's a word I made up years ago, combining the Latin aurora (dawn) and Quenyan elen (star) and, I assumed because of that, it was always available when I wanted it, either as a standalone or as a surname (I've also 'borrowed' it as a username sometimes). Then one day I saw someone in GW2 with the exact same last name on their character. When I asked them it turned out they'd seen me mention it and the meaning behind it on the forum, liked it and decided to use it as well. I later found out the French word for dawn is aurore so variations and adaptions on that, including Aurore L appear in various places online.

6 hours ago, Carnaxus.4259 said:

I almost never found someone using my main name in anything, but ever since I added the name to my friends list about 8 years ago, they have never logged on. Sad I'll never get it but what can you do eh?

It could be there is no other player with that name, sometimes the game just says that because reasons. i have tested this theory and put in names that are not in use, things like KIhBVBR and it will say that name is taken. I think its a glitch in the system with some letter combinations. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 6/28/2022 at 7:43 AM, Artemis.8034 said:

It could be there is no other player with that name, sometimes the game just says that because reasons. i have tested this theory and put in names that are not in use, things like KIhBVBR and it will say that name is taken. I think its a glitch in the system with some letter combinations. 

You can't even have large letters in the middle of the character name, so doubt what you've just said is remotely accurate. Maybe you're mixing up games or memories.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You can't even have large letters in the middle of the character name, so doubt what you've just said is remotely accurate. Maybe you're mixing up games or memories.

Also it's entirely possible someone who doesn't care that much what their character is called just put random letters in until it was accepted. Or, what looks like a random collection of nonsense letters to one person is a perfectly acceptable name to someone else, especially if their first language isn't English or they're looking for a non-English name.

• Confused 2

On 6/29/2022 at 8:21 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

Also it's entirely possible someone who doesn't care that much what their character is called just put random letters in until it was accepted. Or, what looks like a random collection of nonsense letters to one person is a perfectly acceptable name to someone else, especially if their first language isn't English or they're looking for a non-English name.

They are saying that a name like that is a physical impossibility to take, whether it made sense in another language or not. You can't have capital letters anywhere but the first letter of each word. For example, you could have Danikat, but not DaniKat.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Emberfoot.6847 said:

They are saying that a name like that is a physical impossibility to take, whether it made sense in another language or not. You can't have capital letters anywhere but the first letter of each word. For example, you could have Danikat, but not DaniKat.

I assumed the capitalisation was either misremembering or exaggeration. (It's fairly common in topics about name availability for people to use examples the game wouldn't allow at all, like names with numbers in them.) I was adding to the post I quoted, just commenting on the example given looking like a random jumble of letters, not disagreeing with it. I should have been more explicit about that, instead of expecting 'also' to convey' "that is correct, and also..."

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2