Who is Taimi? Who is Scarlet?

RebelPoet.7651

Now, spoiler alert: I did play GW2 10 years ago so I have played through some areas with scarlet and some crab-like island I believe.

But having returned to GW2 after all those years (with the main incentive being the return of all living seasons) I hardly remember those story beats and wanted to start all over again.

I did the personal story and Living World Season 1 (Flame and Frost + Sky Pirates) and then bought Living World Season 2.

However, the first thing that happens is that I'm being introduced to Taimi as if I should know her....  plus the party is referencing Scarlet...

Then there's a massive crashed zeppelin of some sorts in the next area with all these 'zepherites' ...

What is going on here? Are massive parts just scrapped?

Feels really awkward to have references and characters from scrapped content thrown at you...

What is the best way to 'fill this story gap' ?

Edited by RebelPoet.7651

It's because season 1 originally wasn't designed to be replayed at all, and season 2 onward was.

They are currently in the process of re-releasing season 1, and that's where Taimi and Scarlet are introduced. You've basically come in before the re-release of the chapters involving those two.

• Like 2

Ah ok, so the intention is to re-release the scarlet story and all the areas associated with it as well then?

Has this been confirmed?

Because if so, I'll gladly just go about completing 'vanilla' maps for a whileor try some fractals ( I don't play that much, I can wait...)

Explainer from someone who was there for the original LS1:

LS1 was originally designed to be one and done content, the ultimate FOMO, much of which happened as events in the open world, never to be seen again once it was finished. Needless to say, Anet devs at the time (almost none of whom are left with the company today) didn't appreciate having their months of work played once and deleted forever. Their internal rebellion, combined with highly negative player feedback, forced Anet to change tack with LS2, resulting in the current episodic Living World structure as we have it today.

But that left LS1 hanging in limbo, and Anet actively ignored it for years, claiming repeatedly that it wasn't possible to bring LS1 back. Well, they lied. Under new management, with Steam release on the horizon, and with the realization that EoD doesn't make sense without LS1, Anet has in fact converted LS1 into proper Living World episodes, and the first two have already been released. The rest, including the parts where you meet Taimi and Scarlet, are scheduled and on their way. When it's all said and done, LS1 will be a free and permanent part of the game available to everyone. As it should have been in the first place.

Edited by Jimbru.6014
Details, details...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks guys, that sounds good. I imagine it will be a while before we see the rest of LS1, but I hope do they do release it earlier rather than later. I think GW2 is seeing a good amount of returning and new players and this story gap just feels super awkward...

The idea of 'one and gone' content is just simply a poor one, for both players and devs. I remember there was loads of content with the Zepherites and the 'crab' island and lots of fun mini games like races and 'battle royale' too. Such a shame to can all that. I imagine it might be hard to re-release the mini games, but if they can just bring back the zones and story then I'm a happy man.

(Destiny 2 is also one of those games that likes to scrap content...it never (literally never) sits well with the playerbase. Lesson learned for Anet I suppose)

Edited by RebelPoet.7651

They're planning to re-release the rest of Scarlet's story (which is most of Season 1) this year. The next episode should be announced soon, possibly even sometime this week.

The only part they're not bringing back is the Southsun Cove storyline, which is 3 part storyline that's largely seperate from the rest of Season 1 (although it does introduce some reoccuring characters). I suspect that's because they'd have to adapt the Lost Shores weekend event. That was the first release after launch and used a unique format, with events only happening once (except when they had to be re-run because of bugs) so you had to be online that weekend to play them. I suspect that makes it harder to convert into the story journal format than the rest of Season 1.

Edited by Danikat.8537

3 hours ago, RebelPoet.7651 said:

Thanks guys, that sounds good. I imagine it will be a while before we see the rest of LS1, but I hope do they do release it earlier rather than later. I think GW2 is seeing a good amount of returning and new players and this story gap just feels super awkward...

The idea of 'one and gone' content is just simply a poor one, for both players and devs. I remember there was loads of content with the Zepherites and the 'crab' island and lots of fun mini games like races and 'battle royale' too. Such a shame to can all that. I imagine it might be hard to re-release the mini games, but if they can just bring back the zones and story then I'm a happy man.

(Destiny 2 is also one of those games that likes to scrap content...it never (literally never) sits well with the playerbase. Lesson learned for Anet I suppose)

The releases are a few months apart, except this time because we had Dragon Bash instead. The rest of LWS1 will likely be released before the year is over (3 more eps to go, I believe).

5 hours ago, RebelPoet.7651 said:

Ah ok, so the intention is to re-release the scarlet story and all the areas associated with it as well then?

Has this been confirmed?

Because if so, I'll gladly just go about completing 'vanilla' maps for a whileor try some fractals ( I don't play that much, I can wait...)

We do not know everything that's being re-turned. All we know is that the introduction of Scarlet in Clockwork Chaos, as well as the Battle for Lion's Arch, are both slated to return in some form. There are three more episodes for the S1 return, and several scrapped arcs including the Southsun arcs (these are still canon, they're just not part of the return).

As notable with Sky Pirates re-release, not everything will be returning. There was pretty much nothing of the original Dragon Bash that returned outside of the instances, which left a lot of worldbuilding and achievements remaining in the nether. Flame and Frost was much better, though still missed almost all open world content outside of Diessa, Hoelbrak, and Black Citadel. Because of this, we are left fairly in the dark as to how things like Scarlet's Minions Invade and the Escape from Lion's Arch / Battle for Lion's Arch will be handled (there was only 1 story instance across the two! And a ton of dialogue and side events not just in LA but in the neighboring zones); we don't even know if/how Tower of Nightmares arc, The Origins of Madness, or Edge of the Mists will return. And it seems likely that the Cutthroat Politics arc will be cut just like Southsun arcs were.

6 hours ago, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

They surely cannot cut out the Toxic Alliance altogether.

Tower of Nightmares arc being cut out is fairly unlikely, imo, and is most likely Episode 4. How much of that arc returns is the question, as I am doubting most of the Kessex Hills open world stuff, like the Blood and Madness 2013 preview or the Wintersday 2013 dialogue (including the infamous dress is an illusion dialogue) being MIA. I'm even doubting they'll bring back the epilogue instance in The Dead End just as they cut out the Cragstead epilogue stuff from Flame and Frost, though since they invented such an instance for Sky Pirates, who knows maybe.

I am still guessing the releases will be like this in some manner that they choose to condense it:

• 3. Jubilee/Clockwork
  • 4. Nightmares
  • 5. Escape/Battle for LA

44 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

including the infamous dress is an illusion dialogue

From the Tower of Nightmares? When I was reading the recent blog post about Kasmeer and Marjory, one of the writers was talking about the scene where they are flirting in EoD and how they didn't want their relationships being "stripped of any sensuality". I was like "they were being pretty kitten suggestive with their flirting even before they were an official item, ten years ago!" Marjory basically does this when she hears about it.

Link to that exchange of dialogue for people who may be reading who never heard it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they might be the only couples that gets suggestive dialogue, this being a Teen rated game.

Edited by narwhalsbend.7059

18 minutes ago, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

From the Tower of Nightmares? When I was reading the recent blog post about Kasmeer and Marjory, one of the writers was talking about the scene where they are flirting in EoD and these relationships being "stripped of any sensuality". I was like "they were being pretty kitten suggestive with their flirting even before they were an official item, ten years ago!" Marjory basically does this when she hears about it.

Link to that exchange of dialogue for people who may be reading who never heard it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they might be the only couples that gets suggestive dialogue, this being a Teen rated game.

What's fun is that just before that dialogue, Marjory is flirting with Braham as they first formally meet.

Braham Eirsson: Hello. I wanted to congratulate you on solving the councillor's murder.
Marjory Delaqua: My, aren't you a big boy.
Braham Eirsson: One of the biggest in my homestead, actually. I'm Braham. Pleased to meet you.
Marjory Delaqua: Well, Braham, I don't currently have any mountain-sized acquaintances, so the pleasure's all mine. You can call me Marjory.

19 hours ago, RebelPoet.7651 said:

Has this been confirmed?

It is already happening, as your story journal should prove. Season 1 is being re-released episode by episode, but they did cut the Southsun Cove part (so Canach's and Ellen Kiel's background stories will remain a mystery to new players).

There are several videos that recap Season 1:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

I am still guessing the releases will be like this in some manner that they choose to condense it:

• 3. Jubilee/Clockwork
  • 4. Nightmares
  • 5. Escape/Battle for LA

From the Tower of Nightmares? When I was reading the recent blog post about Kasmeer and Marjory, one of the writers was talking about the scene where they are flirting in EoD and how they didn't want their relationships being "stripped of any sensuality". I was like "they were being pretty kitten suggestive with their flirting even before they were an official item, ten years ago!" Marjory basically does this when she hears about it.

The only problem with that line was how people started constantly going on about how "Kasmeer is always naked" despite Kasmeer directly stating she has actual clothing, she just didn't wear it into that nasty tower.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

The only problem with that line was how people started constantly going on about how "Kasmeer is always naked" despite Kasmeer directly stating she has actual clothing, she just didn't wear it into that nasty tower.

If she was telling the truth anyway. She may have just been playfully flirting after all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Additionaly, she said that before she joined Dragon's Watch and became the witness to multiple near world-ending disasters. It wouldn't make sense at this point for her not to still wear anything, she's not the naive noble anymore but a seasoned adventurer now.

10 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Season 2 opens with Kasmeer's magic being blocked. If her clothing was still illusions, she'd be bare kitten naked in Dry Top.

Kasmeer Meade: Something's actively blocking my magic. Please keep an eye out for anything unusual.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fallen_Hopes

On 6/27/2022 at 3:33 PM, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

They surely cannot cut out the Toxic Alliance altogether.

There's the ruins of a giant tower in Kessex Hills, and there are Toxic events and mobs actively present in the Kryta maps. That demands explanation in a LS1 episode more than the inactive Molten Alliance did.

Edited by Jimbru.6014

On 6/28/2022 at 11:46 AM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Season 2 opens with Kasmeer's magic being blocked. If her clothing was still illusions, she'd be bare kitten naked in Dry Top.

Kasmeer Meade: Something's actively blocking my magic. Please keep an eye out for anything unusual.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fallen_Hopes

Indeed. It's one of those lines that was never anything more then a single instance, yet for a  time it's all some people cared about with Kasmeer. "Hurr hurr naked blonde lady."

On 6/28/2022 at 11:13 AM, Sime.3681 said:

Additionaly, she said that before she joined Dragon's Watch and became the witness to multiple near world-ending disasters. It wouldn't make sense at this point for her not to still wear anything, she's not the naive noble anymore but a seasoned adventurer now.

Well, she actually has a stable home, her title back, and a good enough income where before she basically only had one dress and her staff to her name.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1