Follow up to the June 28 Balance Update Preview

Josh Davis.7865

33 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

It’s clear that we should have provided better context for the changes.

Then please please, help us understand how a 5% crit in Arms, a condition trait line, is any useful and in which scenario?

Have the developer who decided that, explain this amazing hidden synergy that the whole player community seems to have missed.  I and everyone else, are very curious. He can even go to a build editor and link us one.

Edited by Ionut.2307
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Techstriker.4130 said:

May I suggest not focusing so hard on raid-like content as well? Between raid-like open world difficulty, strikes, and a general lack of alternative content, its pushing people who don't like raids, such as myself, out of the game.

In which way is it pushing you out of the game? This balance patch is targeting raid content where you have literly every boon maxed out on you, or at top tier pvp where people are doing stuff i probably can't even imagine. If you are not a raider or striker you will not notice any difference, since banners in open world are useless, and everything else in this patch is pure buffs for open world players.

Where do you see raid like open world content? The only boss that requires you to do anything more than auto-attack is battle for Jade Sea meta, Tripple truble that came out over 7 years ago, and marionnette that noone is playing anymore, and even that can be completed with  minimum input from open worlders and "hi dps" players.

I just don't get why would a patch that makes you and your part of the game easier/more-accessible (by giving you new things to  play with, and doesn't remove anything from you) push you away from game.

Edited by Rozespany Kot.1862
Tried to fix typos, probably failed...
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 12

The plan is for everyone to get kitten on, while they work on another expansion for their target audience to pump up the numbers.
Target audience doesn't even know what balance means, the only thing they need is 1 button story mode and the occasional 1 button world boss and they're gucci. 

This game has been a lost cause for a good while now.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

While some in the community have been extreme, and I 10000% agree that death threats are never called for- especially for a video game- I feel like a bit of acknowledgement that there was some unprofessional behaviour, at a minimum, would be appreciated at this point. I'm not calling for someone to lose their job, or saying that the doomers are right, but reading some of that stuff, even completely in context, really hurt and is hard to justify. It's not a private discord between friends, it was a place where devs were communicating with prominent members of the community about a product they work on.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for outlining Anet's steps. It's good to see that there will be balance previews and that hopefully community feedback will be valued. While this should've been done long ago, better late than never.

The balance changes were already included in the build, and separating them from the rest of the changes would've resulted in them having to create a new game build. This would take quite a bit of time (No idea how long it takes to create a build of GW2, but I've heard from other game studios it can take several days). Their only real option was to postpone the whole patch or ship it as is, and it is clear what they chose, to the detriment of the players.

Looking forward to see what the contents of the soon-to-be fix patch you promise, but I somehow doubt it'll make up for the massive disadvantage power builds will be at (and especially warrior).

I'm afraid to say that I'm still quite skeptical. You'll have to actually deliver on those promises for once.

Edited by GoguSpatzialu.7948
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ionut.2307 said:

Then please please, help us understand how a 5% crit in Arms, a condition trait line, is any useful and in which scenario?

Have the developer who decided that, explain this amazing hidden synergy that the whole player community seems to have missed.  I and everyone else, are very curious. He can even go to a build editor and link us one.

If you look at the warrior traits, Arms is the only trait line that even mentions critical hits
The wiki states that: Arms is a core specialization for the warrior that focuses on critical hits and condition damage.

The fact that no-one used it because were better ways to get critical chance improved (like having a ranger with spotter permanently strapped to your back) is precisely the kind of weird discrepancy that should be fixed.
On the other hand, calling such changes "balancing" is quite a lot of a stretch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

40 minutes ago, dJembacz.1740 said:

The issue many players (including me) have, is that this seems to not be that prevalent. There has been a lot of feedback regarding the current state of the proffessions, and only a very little amount of it has been reflected in this patch.

Don't get feedback confused with balance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8

Really? did u not realise the Patch is a dumb idea? There is no harm in delaying both ht cm and the Patch. Pleaaaase dont release this kitten and actually do what u said u would. As in listen to Players and consider the Feedback. We dont want this Patch. We want a better refined Version of it. No one Wants to wait another 3 months for one of ur so called "big proffession" Updates. 

Edited by Arus.6297
  • Like 16
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

and there’s always been a lingering concern that the next update may be a long way off

This is a lingering concern because the next update never comes.

Look! Here's a post from 2017 referencing how bad Engi Pistol is and offering suggestions to fix it. 2017!!! and it's been bad much longer than that! How many 4+monthly balance patches happened between then and now?

So when a balance patch comes and it goes the wrong direction, you can bet people are incensed. They should be! For all they know, those changes will last the entire lifetime of the game.

• Like 35
  • Sad 1

@Josh Davis.7865 thank you for your response. Could you please explain why you won't delay and reevaluate the profession changes planned for tomorrow's patch, before pushing them into the game? You stated that you're scheduling a follow up patch in the coming weeks, so what would be the harm in delaying these changes until that point?

Also, your team blogged recently that the goal is to make raids and 10-member content more accessible to a wider audience of GW2 players. It would go a long way if you could please share details on how you think reducing a professions DPS or access to needed buffs is going to aid in achieving that goal.

As a long-time player of GW2, I've as of yet never been able to qualify or get into a raid group, and I've always been told my DPS is too low, despite crafting full ascended gear, and practicing and playing one of the recommended and well-documented builds for my chosen profession. From my perspective, it's really difficult to see how the profession changes made and proposed so far can do anything but make it even more difficult for me to get a shot at playing raids, strikes, or even the EOD Meta.

Thanks.

Edited by Berune.7408
fixed formatting. Added "to".
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Always good to hear from the Devs, Thank you.

I just dont understand your approach. Your Anet-partners and most- if not the entire community are telling you:

This patch is really bad.

Players with absurd amount of hours invested, players with 30.000k+ pvp games, players with 500.000 kills in wvw . You want feedback and you got it from the "experts" : THIS IS BAD.

....and you STILL want to go live with it.  Why? 

Youre making your job MUCH harder than it should be. My boss will come down to me and ask "how can we make this easier/better" instead of just trying to do it by himself without knowing whats going on in that field.

You should do the same. You have "experts" at your finger tips and for some reason, you refuse to use them. Make monthly/quarterly/whatever meetings with some of the top invested-players withing each playing field and run down some of your changes and get decent input. Youre not gonna please everyone but im willing to bet that it would be MUCH better than it is atm.

As i said in another post; your Studio updates are incredible, so it was such a let down to see that the "balance patch" still feels like its 2016- or whatever.

Edited by Malsheem.1794
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

This is precisely why we created a dedicated profession balance team after the release of End of Dragons.

this update came out of a dedicated team???
we had better communication when it felt like 1 person was updating balance. your game has a stacking (buffs/class/mechanic/lack of mechanic/food/utility/stats) since the launch of the game that's never ever been addressed. please fix some core mechanics instead of putting band aids on or just shifting people to find new ways to break the game.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

This is the first I've ever commented on the forum, and it's only to say that this patch will cause a forced break from the game for me. My two most played characters will no longer work in groups, and I don't have the time to outfit one of the classes the dev team shows special treatment to.

As a veteran player that's been around since release and put a lot of money into the game, this is extremely disappointing.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Techstriker.4130 said:

May I suggest not focusing so hard on raid-like content as well? Between raid-like open world difficulty, strikes, and a general lack of alternative content, its pushing people who don't like raids, such as myself, out of the game.

Can you tell me what reality you live where they focus on hard lcontent? I would like to go there, because this one sucks pretty bad unless you mean getting the supposed hard content for the first time  for what it feels like 4+ years is too much.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

We all heard it before. Perhaps its different this time, who knows. But maby start with a lot more communication on the forums and actually reply to topics, instead of the silence we had for years. I never played a MMO, where the devs are so utterly silence and are unwillingly to respond on the forums.

I really like GW2, but i haven't played it for the last couple of months, due the same old wvw everyday (boon balls, server blobs, etc), the amount of buffs and condition is way over to top and tomorrow it will be more so.....   I can't imagine you have this in mind for GW2. I truly wonder.

• Like 9

Thank you for this post.

I understand how difficult it might be for the devs, and I never understood why some players feel so entitled to whatever they think they're entitled to, that they think it's ok to threat strangers to kill them. It's just beyond me. Absurd. 

Fingers crossed for the future improvement, we see a lot of goodwill already, so I'm sure it will be much smoother in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 10

8 minutes ago, Blitz.3627 said:

If you look at the warrior traits, Arms is the only trait line that even mentions critical hits
The wiki states that: Arms is a core specialization for the warrior that focuses on critical hits and condition damage.

The fact that no-one used it because were better ways to get critical chance improved (like having a ranger with spotter permanently strapped to your back) is precisely the kind of weird discrepancy that should be fixed.
On the other hand, calling such changes "balancing" is quite a lot of a stretch.

Discipline is absolutely required due to Axe Mastery and Fast hands. Strength is absolutely required due to 500 power, 250 vit, 26% strike damage. Axe is required as it is the only weapon option that can consistently deal high DPS. The other options are far, far behind.

Power warrior dps builds have zero flexibility. This has been the main problem for years. Arms is not competitive in the slightest. To fix this, an entire warrior overhaul is needed - to bring up other weapons and make them viable and to completely remake most specializations.. Nevermind the utilities, more than half of which are absolutely useless for any role.

Edited by GoguSpatzialu.7948
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1