Icebrood Saga Mastery Points

Hello!

I'm a bit confused about IBS mastery points, they feel very limited. I've done all the insights, most of the Drizzlewood Coast meta ones and I'm still 18 points short of Mastery Points.

Is there an easier way to obtain said mastery points or are IBS mastery points a real grind?

Thanks!

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Kenneth.7536 said:

Hello!

I'm a bit confused about IBS mastery points, they feel very limited. I've done all the insights, most of the Drizzlewood Coast meta ones and I'm still 18 points short of Mastery Points.

Is there an easier way to obtain said mastery points or are IBS mastery points a real grind?

Thanks!

Open the achievement panel and then do all of the ones with the IBS mastery point icon. 

The wiki shows 76 possible mastery points that are obtainable and you only need 63 to max them. Since you stated that you’re 18 short this means you have only unlocked 45 which is just over half. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Open the achievement panel and then do all of the ones with the IBS mastery point icon. 

The wiki shows 76 possible mastery points that are obtainable and you only need 63 to max them. Since you stated that you’re 18 short this means you have only unlocked 45 which is just over half. 

Oh, 76? Then I must have missed a kitten-ton of them. Thanks for the feedback!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kenneth.7536 said:

Hello!

Thanks!

Go here: Mastery Points Unlocks

Apply the API and scroll down to the IBS. Will show which ones you're still missing and a brief description.

You can always check your Hero Panel. Go to Achievement tab, click on the Filters icon by Search Bar > Add Mastery Point Filter > Add Icebrood Saga Mastery Point Filter. Any with the IBS icons still showing are still available as mentioned above.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Go here: Mastery Points Unlocks

Apply the API and scroll down to the IBS. Will show which ones you're still missing and a brief description.

You can always check your Hero Panel. Go to Achievement tab, click on the Filters icon by Search Bar > Add Mastery Point Filter > Add Icebrood Saga Mastery Point Filter. Any with the IBS icons still showing are still available as mentioned above.

Today I learned there's a filter LOL. After 1.6k hours.... Thank you so much!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Honestly, I absolutely feel that.

As the previous poster said, there are 76 and you need "only" 63 to max them out but there are several achievements that are absolute non-options narrowing down the actually available mastery points to so little that you are basically forced to do all of them.

Finishing the Volcanic Stormcaller weapon collection costs a whopping 400g+. Finishing Cold War 50 times for a mastery point (or even just 10 times), when it is by far the least popular strike mission alongside Forging Steel is a humongous task. The other two Stormcaller weapon collections awarding mastery points are still very expensive albeit cheaper than the volcanic one. Doing the Bjora Marches east meta 15 times is a grind if you didn't play a lot of IBS and a majority of mastery points is actually locked inside DRMs and is attached to achieving certain things while a CM is active.

Treasure Sleuth is a hidden achievement so unless you do the previous achievement that unlocks it, you won't even know it's an option.

So overall it's more like there are 55 mastery points that are reasonably achievable while you normally play the story and the content and for the rest you'll need to either throw massive amounts of gold or get into thoroughly unpopular group content and/or massive grinds, even more so now that DRM dailies are no longer part of the IBS daily rotation and finding groups is more difficult.

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Endaris.1452 said:

So overall it's more like there are 55 mastery points that are reasonably achievable while you normally play the story and the content and for the rest you'll need to either throw massive amounts of gold or get into thoroughly unpopular group content and/or massive grinds, even more so now that DRM dailies are no longer part of the IBS daily rotation and finding groups is more difficult.

So which achievements are part of the 23 that you do not find reasonably achievable?  The majority of them don't require all that much grind.

Finishing the Volcanic Stormcaller weapon collection costs a whopping 400g+.

Or you can buy them at 3 per week from the vendor for 1G each.

The other two Stormcaller weapon collections awarding mastery points are still very expensive albeit cheaper than the volcanic one

Stormcaller is roughly 180G if you buy them off the TP and a little cheaper if you craft them.  It's not all that expensive considering that you're also getting 16 skins out of it.  I don't recall another Stormcaller collection beyond what has already been mentioned.  There's the boreal one but that's only 71G.

a majority of mastery points is actually locked inside DRMs and is attached to achieving certain things while a CM is active.

Majority would be at least 51% of the mastery points.  There's not that many in the DRMs and the DRMs are part of the story.  The DRMs scale to the number of players meaning that they can be done solo and that includes the CMs.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

a majority of mastery points is actually locked inside DRMs and is attached to achieving certain things while a CM is active.

46 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Majority would be at least 51% of the mastery points.  There's not that many in the DRMs and the DRMs are part of the story.  The DRMs scale to the number of players meaning that they can be done solo and that includes the CMs.

Only 4 of the mastery points in DRMs are tied to CMs. As mythical.6315  mentioned, they all scaled to number of players. I don't advised soloing, though. Best is to do with just 2 or 3 so all tasks can be completed for the bonus. Each tasks completed will grant +5% to all stats for a maximum of 15%.

As for the mastery insights, just make a private instance and solo it. You can just run to the insights without fighting a single mob. However, I think the Caledon DRM sometimes requires triggering to open up the path but you just need to kill the very weak mobs (if soloing) leading up to the road that leads to the insight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

I don't recall another Stormcaller collection beyond what has already been mentioned.

Ah sorry meant the Tengu one.

But yeah, ignoring the skins and just assuming you want to cap out the masteries, 180g are still a non-option. I don't know how you can assume that the average player can just squeeze out that much gold for a mastery point.

Volcanic Stormcaller weapons still need a ton of Defense Seals if you buy them from the vendor (I didn't know you could so thanks for that but alas I don't have that amount of Defense Seals - it requires grinding DRMs for hours on end).

I already mentioned Cold War grind (2 mastery points).

I consider both Dragonstorm and DRM with CMs as "unpopular group content", especially because you won't easily get the achievements without actively trying to get most of them.

So overall for the list:

Shooting Star (basically impossible to get without actively trying)

Friendly Fire (difficult to get without trying)

No More Sacrifices (difficult to get without trying)

Cooler Than Cool (if you aren't trying to get this, you won't even stand in that AoE)

Skritt Hot (if you aren't trying to get this, you won't even stand in that AoE)

Double (Elder) Dragon (relies on repeating the same time-consuming content over and over)

Raven's Favor (relies on repeating the same time-consuming content over and over)

Citadel Crasher (relies on repeating the same time-consuming content over and over)

Volcanic Stormcaller Armaments Collector (lots of gold or lots of DRM grind)

Tengu Weapon Collector (time-gated achievement that also costs a lot)

Glory to X Legion (cause you can only do them in sequence, meaning you need to spend a great deal of time on the map to get all of them, the first 3 feel free while exploring the map, doing the metas the first times, the last 3 not as much)

Master of the Ancestral Forge (decent amount of gold to spend)

Morale Breaker, 2 points (relies on repeating the same time-consuming content over and over)

"No Quarter" Mastery (relies on doing a lot of sub achievements)

Some of these might be considered QQing on a high level or "where were you when that meta was hot?" but compared to the freedom of selection in HoT/LS3 where you have more than 50 extra points compared to what you need to max out the masteries and the majority of points are from story, exploration (finding or doing something once) and adventures, these are just a lot of effort. I think not wanting to do something on the annoyance level as Hungry Hal (one of my two missing HoT mastery points) is perfectly reasonable and I find many of the achievements above comparable because they require me to keep coming back to them for days on end.

If you look at it differently, IBS simply has one of the highest mandatory rate of completion for mastery points anyway.

Central Tyria + LS2: 49 needed, 83 available, needs 59% acquirement rate

HoT + LS3: 144 needed, 198 available,  needs 72% acquirement rate

PoF + LS4: 110 needed, 130 available, needs 84% acquirement rate

IBS: 63 needed, 76 available, needs 83% acquirement rate

EoD: 89 needed, 115 available, needs 77% acquirement rate

While PoF looks intimidating (and I did find it more annoying than HoT for sure), 67 points alone are in communes with insights and 19 are from story completion, meaning you need only 24 more out of 54 remaining points. Except that it's more like 22 because you won't need these 24 extra points until unlocking Griffon / Skyscale which both grant you an extra mastery point for acquiring them.

IBS has only 28 points in communes with insights and 9 points in story completion, meaning that you need to complete 26 out of 39 remaining ones. And within these 39 remaining ones are the ones I mentioned above.

35 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

As for the mastery insights, just make a private instance and solo it. You can just run to the insights without fighting a single mob.

From what I tried myself you can't. You can't in Thunderhead Keep, you can't in Snowden Drifts. Those I know at the very least cause those I tried after not noticing the mastery point on initial story play through. Cool to know that you can't in Caledon either but since you need to do all of them for story completion I'd still consider obtaining these a given low effort.

Edited by Endaris.1452
whitespace
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Endaris.1452 said:

Shooting Star (basically impossible to get without actively trying)

Friendly Fire (difficult to get without trying)

No More Sacrifices (difficult to get without trying)

Cooler Than Cool (if you aren't trying to get this, you won't even stand in that AoE)

Skritt Hot (if you aren't trying to get this, you won't even stand in that AoE)

I disagree with these.  I don't believe that needing to get something without trying is a reasonable requirement.

Double (Elder) Dragon (relies on repeating the same time-consuming content over and over)

Can be done once a day.  You don't need to sit there and do it all in one go which you can't actually do either.  That meta also takes like 15 min which isn't time-consuming.

If you look at it differently, IBS simply has one of the highest mandatory rate of completion for mastery points anyway.

Central Tyria + LS2: 49 needed, 83 available, needs 59% acquirement rate

HoT + LS3: 144 needed, 198 available,  needs 72% acquirement rate

PoF + LS4: 110 needed, 130 available, needs 84% acquirement rate

IBS: 63 needed, 76 available, needs 83% acquirement rate

EoD: 89 needed, 115 available, needs 77% acquirement rate

Have you looked into those other areas with the same criteria that you're applying towards IBS in regards to mastery points needing to be obtainable from playing passively?

It feels like you expect everything to be earned within a single play-through without having to actually play the content. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 1

No, I actually don't but in comparison I had very little problems maxing out masteries for the other seasons, simply because I had more achievements to choose from and there were generally more achievements of the type

"Place first in / of the Tarir challenges.", "Defeat all nightfall bosses in Verdant Brink.", "Defeat the Chak Driver in Tangled Depths." or "Participate in every stage of building Teku Nuhoch back up."

The big difference between IBS and HoT/PoF mastery points is that the latter also rewarded mastery points for doing metas but selected exceptions (like Dragonfall, Hungry Hal or the turret achievement in Kourna) aside, they did not require you to finish the same content many times over for mastery points.

In fact IBS also has some mastery points like that (e.g. defeating Drakkar just once) but the overall balance is clearly shifted to require the player to grind down on the same content opposed to exploring all the content.

Why not give Fearless Diver an IBS mastery point? Or Shards of Jormag? Or A Bountiful Pastime? Or A Hunger for Knowledge?

Some of these might be completed on the go but most probably not. If I can do a focused invest of up to 30-45 minutes without relying on other people to gain a mastery point then I feel like that mastery point is fair game. Almost all the ones I mentioned require a (much) higher time investment than that. And I think that isn't inherently bad either. Giving mastery points for each light puzzle would seem overkill so putting that into Luminiferous seems good as players who enjoy that type of content will definitely finish it anyway and be rewarded with the mastery point. The issue with IBS is the balance between repeating stuff and doing all the different stuff.

And the "throw gold at it" type of mastery point achievement is honestly just silly. How do I prove my mastery about IBS by paying a lot of money for crafting or buying weapons? If the Tengu collection was just about getting the recipes, aka just waiting for the time gate to buy all the etching papers and exploring the map to find all the etchings, perfect! I wouldn't complain about that at all! But nope, it requires you to spend a ridiculous amount of gold.

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1