Still willing to talk, devs.

I don't think they were listening to begin with. It's too bad, because if they had the humility to ask the playerbase about balance and involved them in the first place, a great many of the unfortunate changes in this patch could have been avoided. Alas, they like to keep everything close to the vest and drop a huge bombshell without providing any opportunity for player feedback.

That's their right, of course; it is their game. But it's the players' right to be pissed by bad balance decisions, too.

If ANet wants to be successful and make GW2 thrive, they should collaborate with the playerbase, not alienate it. 

• Like 11

The forums are a weird place, because there’s not a good method of indicating negative posts in a way that can be quickly ascertained. Confused faces work alright, but still fall short. 

Then you have conflicting opinions amongst players. For example, many warriors want a support spec, but I personally am not interested in a support spec. Most people on the forums do not voice this sort of dissent from the majority in a reasonable manner, instead usually defaulting to agressive or defensive behaviors (the warrior forum seems to be better than other forums for this). 

Then you have trouble differentiating who actually know what they are talking about. You also have the problem of the comment section becoming a cluster because people get defensive about their ideas and get too hung up on technicalities. 

It’s much more efficient for them to consult major streamers and players who build large networks than it is to filter through the forums. I’m sure they look at them, the question is how much of the nonsense is filtered through. I can’t blame them too much tbh. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

The forums are a weird place, because there’s not a good method of indicating negative posts in a way that can be quickly ascertained. Confused faces work alright, but still fall short. 

Then you have conflicting opinions amongst players. For example, many warriors want a support spec, but I personally am not interested in a support spec. Most people on the forums do not voice this sort of dissent from the majority in a reasonable manner, instead usually defaulting to agressive or defensive behaviors (the warrior forum seems to be better than other forums for this). 

Then you have trouble differentiating who actually know what they are talking about. You also have the problem of the comment section becoming a cluster because people get defensive about their ideas and get too hung up on technicalities. 

It’s much more efficient for them to consult major streamers and players who build large networks than it is to filter through the forums. I’m sure they look at them, the question is how much of the nonsense is filtered through. I can’t blame them too much tbh. 

The forum, on a GOOD day, is a bad place to sift through for player feedback, for all these reasons. I mean, I get why they are here (all players get a voice, blah blah) ... but some player's voices are more valuable than others. No easy way for Anet to determine who's though. Anet's approach isn't wrong though; there is typically a group of 'player consultants' devs will have discussions with. Just that general people feel excluded because they aren't 'elite' enough to hang 1 on 1  with the devs. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

I don't think they were listening to begin with. It's too bad, because if they had the humility to ask the playerbase about balance and involved them in the first place, a great many of the unfortunate changes in this patch could have been avoided. Alas, they like to keep everything close to the vest and drop a huge bombshell without providing any opportunity for player feedback.

That's their right, of course; it is their game. But it's the players' right to be pissed by bad balance decisions, too.

If ANet wants to be successful and make GW2 thrive, they should collaborate with the playerbase, not alienate it. 

This I totally agree. Sorry @Azure The Heartless.3261 but right now the reality is there are no strong reasons for Anet to listen to the playerbase, they can just do whatever and ppl will still play.

• Confused 1

Nah all you need is to gather 10 people in an organized discord and sit down to discuss changes and propositions and vote on whether ideas should pass or not. Make a nice sheet, put in ideas for competetive and pve values and that's about it. Traits lowkey easier to fix like that unlike weapon skills and utilities.

As long as people remain active to the cause and remain professional, then you can simply push forth this project, post it on the forums for the public to see ans well, if people disagree or want more, they can elaborate on their changes and you can build off of that. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

At this point, the question is if they are willing to talk to us. People spitting venom have villainized them ... I wouldn't be surprised if that simply don't engage. The privilege has been abused. It's done IMO.

Have you seen a single post of a death threat? I have not, and I've been on both reddit and here since the whole thing started. This is just deflection on their side.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoguSpatzialu.7948 said:

Have you seen a single post of a death threat? I have not, and I've been on both reddit and here since the whole thing started. This is just deflection on their side.

Yeah, Anet is deflecting by lying about getting death threats. You're absurd. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

>>>>>The privilege has been abused. It's done IMO.

Wow, this is what is wrong with "current year" corporations and why so many like Netflix and Twitter are and will be feeling the upcoming consequences (looking at you Disney).

It is "privileged" for the devs to listen or to correspond with their CUSTOMERS?!. Wow, jsut wow. Ok, well Anet does not get the "privilege" of my money or support. I guess we can agree on this. Enjoy the consequences of your actions Anet, and maybe you'll learn something but I doubt it.

Remember one thing:  You are not entitled to anyone's money, time or support and you never will be. It will run out someday and you will only have yourselves to blame---look at the 450 employees at Netflix who thought the same way you currently do, they are out of a job within 2 months. If it can happen to them, it will happen to you. Nobody is too big to fail.

Employment at Anet is "at will". So if things get too hot, a dev can always go somewhere else. Why are things so hot? Because the paying customers are not happy. Sure some of them are abusive but many of them are thoughtful and helpful in their suggestions because they care.

Every job comes with the good and the bad. Folks who work at Walmart deal with more abuse than anyone at Anet ever will and this is face to face abuse and they are being paid nowhere near what Anet devs get. Is this right? No but life isn't fair and you can't make it that way.

The main problem is that Anet devs are simply not knowledgeable, qualified or focused on the needs of this community or game, and folks are waking up to this and pushing back. The EOD xpack and last 2 "balance" patches prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Customers are not a "privilege"; they are your life's blood and Anet has 10 stacks of bleeding piling up. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Mazdan.2071 said:

Customers are not a "privilege"; they are your life's blood and Anet has 10 stacks of bleeding piling up. 

@Obtena.7952 this is important. You keep talking about how the people that play Anet's game should work specifically with their vision at all times, but that is not always the case. We're not just here to watch a play. Customers, as angry and toxic as they can potentially be, do need to have some kind of influence on the presentation of the product theyre being asked to buy. Running a business and thinking of the customers as expendable if they dont specifically agree with your vision (notably so if you -don't- have a particular direction) is a surefire way to tank it over time. 

Just talking to the person behind the contrarian there. If you run a business in the future, don't internalize that thought process. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

@Obtena.7952 this is important. You keep talking about how the people that play Anet's game should work specifically with their vision at all times, but that is not always the case. We're not just here to watch a play. Customers, as angry and toxic as they can potentially be, do need to have some kind of influence on the presentation of the product theyre being asked to buy. Running a business and thinking of the customers as expendable if they dont specifically agree with your vision (notably so if you -don't- have a particular direction) is a surefire way to tank it over time. 

Just talking to the person behind the contrarian there. If you run a business in the future, don't internalize that thought process. 

Sure, but customers still have to work in those systems to complain.

Pinch me, sensible people in 2k22, I'm dreaming.

19 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

• Haha 1