Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Any way to buy only Path of Fire?


Recommended Posts

TL;DR: There is no lower price for PoF only. But from time to time the PoF + HoT pack are on sale.

 

The price of HoT is 0.00 (When you buy PoF)

The price of PoF is now 29.99 (Sometimes there is a discount)

Price of PoF will not be lower if you already have HoT or don't want HoT.

If you bought HoT in the past you don't get a refund because it is free now, you payed for the privilege to play HoT in the years before PoF was released. But there was a small gesture to the early buyers of HoT.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't know HoT is free now, it's been a really long time.  When did that happen?

 

Seems really odd that I paid for the base game and 1st expansion, which are both free now.  Logically my money paid for each of those.  But if I was someone else starting just now, I could play both of those for free.

 

In other words, did my money pay for others to play those games for free?  Because if it did that wasn't said upfront.  Or if it went to help pay for future expansions, I still have to pay full price for those.  Why do new players not have to pay for the game old players had to?  That's not right, I would have been better off waiting 5 years to play for free rather than spending the $110 I did...that's expensive for any game.

 

Why didn't they give players who paid for the base game and/or expansion a nice discount on further expansions?  Talk about being used, sheesh.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The price of Path of Fire only is 29.99.  The price of Path of Fire with Heart of Thorns is 29.99.  Not a lot of difference.  🤷‍♂️

I thought both were $15 dollars now, that's what is implied when 2 games are $30 total.  I mean it's been 5 years for PoT and longer for HoT.  Didn't realize $30 is the current asking price for one expansion, that's a lot for a game this old.

Edited by Obsidian.1328
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

Didn't know HoT is free now, it's been a really long time.  When did that happen?

Around August of 2019.

Quote

Seems really odd that I paid for the base game and 1st expansion, which are both free now.  Logically my money paid for each of those.  But if I was someone else starting just now, I could play both of those for free.

As did most of us. You paid to be able to play the game then, just like most of us veterans did.

Quote

In other words, did my money pay for others to play those games for free?  Because if it did that wasn't said upfront.  Or if it went to help pay for future expansions, I still have to pay full price for those.  Why do new players not have to pay for the game old players had to?  That's not right, I would have been better off waiting 5 years to play for free rather than spending the $110 I did...that's expensive for any game.

 

Why didn't they give players who paid for the base game and/or expansion a nice discount on further expansions?  Talk about being used, sheesh.

Technically, no you did not. The majority of money which paid for future developments comes from gem sales and future box sales. Box sales often recuperate cost of development, aka you are paying mostly for the product which is shipped. Your past box revenue did not pay for those other players to get to play for "free" now.

So, with that out of the way, I agree, you are entitled to a compensation. You should get right on that, right after you compensated all the players who bought gems all these years contributing to this games continued development.

Path of Fire is 30$. It goes on sale rather often. HoT comes for free with it (minus some of the benefits like extra character slot).

Rest assured, there is a high chance that at some point, EoD will get updated to incorporate PoF and HoT, latest once a new expansion rolls around. So, if you don't want to get taken advantage of again, wait with purchasing PoF and EoD until that is the case. Might be a while though.

I get it, money is tight for some, but historically and currently, GW2 expansion pricing is among the cheapest and highest value per $ in the entire industry. You have every right to complain, but in this case, I doubt you will see a lot of sympathy.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

 

Why didn't they give players who paid for the base game and/or expansion a nice discount on further expansions?  Talk about being used, sheesh.

Shortly after the release of PoF they made HoT a free part of PoF. You paid for the privelege to play HoT from when you bought it and still pay for the privelege to play HoT without purchasing PoF.

It is a very common practice in many branches to offer package deals where the older content comes for free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I've never owned a game where the older content reverts to being free.

I suppose I could just wait until the next expansion, but would that mean I would have to buy said expansion?  In other words, are the older expansions only free if you buy the newest one?

For instance, say I only owned the base game.  Would I have to buy PoF to play HoT, even though HoT is free?  The base game is free, but the first expansion isn't free...unless you buy the 2nd expansion.  It's confusing as all hell.  Why not just include HoT as part of the free content, without linking it to PoF?

I think they simply need to reword the way they present the selling.  Instead of grouping HoT and PoF together for $30 (which implies they are $15 each), separate HoT from PoF, and instead group it with the base game.  Unless, unlike the base game, HoT is not free unless you pay for the next expansion?

Or is ANet doing that because they don't want HoT to be playable unless you pay for at least one expansion.  If that's the case, then waiting for the next expansion to come out, where hopefully PoF would also revert to free, is the best way to do that.  It's quite a bizarre set-up they have with these things.

All that being said, it's still more than a little shady that it basically penalizes you for being an original player of the game.  At the very least, they should offer those who paid for the now-free content ($100 value) a discount on upcoming expansions.  It's a slap in the face to those who funded the game and allowed ANet the possibility to even have expansions.  It's way lopsided to favor new players, it should be the other way around.

Edited by Obsidian.1328
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

I guess I've never owned a game where the older content reverts to being free.

I suppose I could just wait until the next expansion, but would that mean I would have to buy said expansion?  In other words, are the older expansions only free if you buy the newest one?

For instance, say I only owned the base game.  Would I have to buy PoF to play HoT, even though HoT is free?  The base game is free, but the first expansion isn't free...unless you buy the 2nd expansion.  It's confusing as all hell.  Why not just include HoT as part of the free content, without linking it to PoF?

I think they simply need to reword the way they present the selling.  Instead of grouping HoT and PoF together for $30 (which implies they are $15 each), separate HoT from PoF, and instead group it with the base game.  Unless, unlike the base game, HoT is not free unless you pay for the next expansion?

Or is ANet doing that because they don't want HoT to be playable unless you pay for at least one expansion.  If that's the case, then waiting for the next expansion to come out, where hopefully PoF would also revert to free, is the best way to do that.  It's quite a bizarre set-up they have with these things.

All that being said, it's still more than a little shady that it basically penalizes you for being an original player of the game.  At the very least, they should offer those who paid for the now-free content ($100 value) a discount on upcoming expansions.  It's a slap in the face to those who funded the game and allowed ANet the possibility to even have expansions.  It's way lopsided to favor new players, it should be the other way around.

Yes that is how it works, you cant play heart of thorns now without buying pof.

Edit

The single upgrade EoD 30-80 bucks dont even include hot atm.

Well new players also have not been able to play since release, just because you left and are now coming back years later its not the fault of the company you could have been playing if you wanted to.

 

Do you also go to the store with your receipt when they have a 2 for one special and ask for your free one since you bought one last month?

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes that is how it works, you cant play heart of thorns now without buying pof.

Edit

The single upgrade EoD 30-80 bucks dont even include hot atm.

Well new players also have not been able to play since release, just because you left and are now coming back years later its not the fault of the company you could have been playing if you wanted to.

 

Do you also go to the store with your receipt when they have a 2 for one special and ask for your free one since you bought one last month?

 

What does length of play time have to do with anything?

That has nothing to do with the cost of the games.  You buy a game or an expansion, it's yours for eternity.  How much a player prefers to play doesn't have any bearing on the cost of any future expansions.  I don't know what you mean by this.

 

As for your last line...nice.  And no.  Does, say, buying two apples a month apart feel like a legit comparison to you?  How 'bout this one then:

You buy the first two Matrix movies for $10 each when then came out on DVD.  And when the last one comes out you see they offer all three for $20 total, and you can not buy only the last one for any cheaper amount.  That makes zero sense.  They are forcing you to pay $40 for something that anyone else, who didn't buy the first two, can get for $20.

 

GW2 is not that old of a game.  It's not like the first couple of iterations have depreciated so much that they are worth zero now.  It's still a popular, vibrant, triple-A game right?

A more reasonable and practical approach would have been to, say, put the base game at a $10-20 value, HoT at $5, and PoF at $15(why it's still at $30 five years later is incredibly pricey).  New expansions like EoD stay at the $30 mark.  Then let any players who bought and own everything else get a discount on the current expansion: EoD $20-ish.

New players still have to fork over at least some money for the first games, while old players get a small reward for their loyalty over the years.  Win-win.

 

That's actually how most every other game does their pricing.  It's a graduated system based on both how long it's been since the initial release , plus a discount for either buying everything in a bundle (which GW2 does) and/or offering an additional discount to loyal customers.  But the way it works now it's like you're a sucker for having bought the game on release.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

 

What does length of play time have to do with anything?

That has nothing to do with the cost of the games.  You buy a game or an expansion, it's yours for eternity.  How much a player prefers to play doesn't have any bearing on the cost of any future expansions.  I don't know what you mean by this.

 

As for your last line...nice.  And no.  Does, say, buying two apples a month apart feel like a legit comparison to you?  How 'bout this one then:

You buy the first two Matrix movies for $10 each when then came out on DVD.  And when the last one comes out you see they offer all three for $20 total, and you can not buy only the last one for any cheaper amount.  That makes zero sense.  They are forcing you to pay $40 for something that anyone else, who didn't buy the first two, can get for $20.

 

GW2 is not that old of a game.  It's not like the first couple of iterations have depreciated so much that they are worth zero now.  It's still a popular, vibrant, triple-A game right?

A more reasonable and practical approach would have been to, say, put the base game at a $10-20 value, HoT at $5, and PoF at $15(why it's still at $30 five years later is incredibly pricey).  New expansions like EoD stay at the $30 mark.  Then let any players who bought and own everything else get a discount on the current expansion: EoD $20-ish.

New players still have to fork over at least some money for the first games, while old players get a small reward for their loyalty over the years.  Win-win.

 

That's actually how most every other game does their pricing.  It's a graduated system based on both how long it's been since the initial release , plus a discount for either buying everything in a bundle (which GW2 does) and/or offering an additional discount to loyal customers.  But the way it works now it's like you're a sucker for having bought the game on release.

Well if the last movie in a triology cost 20 bucks its nice of them to add in the others for free dont you think so people who dont have any of them can buy them all instead of having to search for a 10 10 10 deal and maybe not even find the older ones.

That and the fact that you do have something from your hot purchase that pof(hot added fore free) people cant get.

A shared inventory slot your lvl 80 booster came in worth about 7 dollar 75 cents.

If you ever buy up the max slots Anet have implemented you can have 1 more then none hot box owners.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think OP is confused with what is 'free' and what is included at no additional cost.  Also, confused about 'owning' this game.

Core Tyria is not 'free' in the sense that only the trial Core game is free (with many restrictions). 

Core Tyria is included, at no additional cost, with any expansion purchase.  Heart of Thorns is included, with no additional cost and no additional perks, with Path of Fire purchase.

Purchasing any part (with an expansion) of Guild Wars 2 enables one to access the game, but does not confer any kind of ownership. 

(See Legal Documentation link below.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I think OP is confused with what is 'free' and what is included at no additional cost.  Also, confused about 'owning' this game.

Core Tyria is not 'free' in the sense that only the trial Core game is free (with many restrictions). 

Core Tyria is included, at no additional cost, with any expansion purchase.  Heart of Thorns is included, with no additional cost and no additional perks, with Path of Fire purchase.

Purchasing any part (with an expansion) of Guild Wars 2 enables one to access the game, but does not confer any kind of ownership. 

(See Legal Documentation link below.)

Not owning in the legal sense bud, just the generic sense.  Didn't think that had to be said really.

What do you mean by 'trial' core game btw?  Anyone can just play the base game with nothing else.  It's many times bigger than any of the expansions, and has almost all of the things needed for pvp access.  How is it a trial?

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well if the last movie in a triology cost 20 bucks its nice of them to add in the others for free dont you think so people who dont have any of them can buy them all instead of having to search for a 10 10 10 deal and maybe not even find the older ones.

That and the fact that you do have something from your hot purchase that pof(hot added fore free) people cant get.

A shared inventory slot your lvl 80 booster came in worth about 7 dollar 75 cents.

If you ever buy up the max slots Anet have implemented you can have 1 more then none hot box owners.

 

Last movie was also $10, but whatever.

And I didn't even know I had that inventory booster.  But it's not like it does much for me, last I remember my inventory was pretty empty.  Is that supposed to make up for it?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

Not owning in the legal sense bud, just the generic sense.  Didn't think that had to be said really.

What do you mean by 'trial' core game btw?  Anyone can just play the base game with nothing else.  It's many times bigger than any of the expansions, and has almost all of the things needed for pvp access.  How is it a trial?

Well, sis, you have really been gone a long time, it seems.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account#Limitations

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Well, sis, you have really been gone a long time, it seems.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account#Limitations

Wth?  Why did they restrict everything so much in the base game?  You can't even call it a base game anymore.

So in 2013 they basically made a fully complete triple-A game, 5 times the size of any expansion, priced $60 at release, that is now essentially a tutorial.

Okay then.

Edited by Obsidian.1328
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that link btw, this first part is what I'm looking for:

 

  • Full, unrestricted access to all content, free to play after one-time purchases of both Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire.
  • Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire (expansion), unrestricted access to core game and Path of Fire content, free to play after one-time purchase, or Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns (expansion), unrestricted access to core game and Heart of Thorns content, free to play after one-time purchase.
  • Guild Wars 2 (original), unrestricted access to core game, but no Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire features, free to play after purchase, no longer available for purchase from ArenaNet.
  • Free Account, restricted access to core game, no expansion features, unlimited time, totally free.
  • Trial Account, obsolete (no longer available), limited time access with restrictions similar to free accounts.

 

Okay, so me not owning the second expansion (2nd, mind you!) means I don't actually have the full game anymore?  How is that possible?  How can they downgrade a $60 game to a restriction-heavy tutorial?  Why is the 2nd expansion to a game considered to be the 'full' game?  That makes no sense at all.  Expansions are never anything but bonus content added to the base game, they have it backwards for christs sake.

So they completely reverted the base game to some weird kind of, like you aptly said, 'trial' scenario with tons of restrictions...for what reason?  Why did they trash the core game like that?  So I basically paid the standard premium $60 price for a triple-A game...that is no longer a triple-A game.  But rather a super neato tutorial with little access to most things considered a normal part of the game.

Holy crap, what a effing crok.

Edited by Obsidian.1328
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

Okay, so me not owning the second expansion (2nd, mind you!) means I don't actually have the full game anymore?

The "full" game means owning all expansions. If you only own HoT, you have full access to core and HoT, but not the entire game (PoF and EoD). The core game restrictions only apply to free accounts and are removed after upgrading to a paid account (by using a core, HoT, PoF or EoD key).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OP is really confused about the game.  Even with access to the Wiki. 

Paid account is not equal to Play4Free account (trial).  Again, a player can acquire the Core game and Heart of Thorns at no additional cost with a paid expansion (Path of Fire). A player can acquire Core game at no additional cost with purchase of either Path of Fire or End of Dragons.

To play the game with no cost, whatsoever, one can create a Play4Free account (with restrictions) and play the Core game (with Living World Season 2 maps).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

Thanks for that link btw, this first part is what I'm looking for:

 

  • Full, unrestricted access to all content, free to play after one-time purchases of both Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire.
  • Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire (expansion), unrestricted access to core game and Path of Fire content, free to play after one-time purchase, or Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns (expansion), unrestricted access to core game and Heart of Thorns content, free to play after one-time purchase.
  • Guild Wars 2 (original), unrestricted access to core game, but no Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire features, free to play after purchase, no longer available for purchase from ArenaNet.
  • Free Account, restricted access to core game, no expansion features, unlimited time, totally free.
  • Trial Account, obsolete (no longer available), limited time access with restrictions similar to free accounts.

 

Okay, so me not owning the second expansion (2nd, mind you!) means I don't actually have the full game anymore?  How is that possible?  How can they downgrade a $60 game to a restriction-heavy tutorial?  Why is the 2nd expansion to a game considered to be the 'full' game?  That makes no sense at all.  Expansions are never anything but bonus content added to the base game, they have it backwards for christs sake.

So they completely reverted the base game to some weird kind of, like you aptly said, 'trial' scenario with tons of restrictions...for what reason?  Why did they trash the core game like that?  So I basically paid the standard premium $60 price for a triple-A game...that is no longer a triple-A game.  But rather a super neato tutorial with little access to most things considered a normal part of the game.

Holy crap, what a effing crok.

It is still the same for you just not for people who havent paid for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

The "full" game means owning all expansions. If you only own HoT, you have full access to core and HoT, but not the entire game (PoF and EoD). The core game restrictions only apply to free accounts and are removed after upgrading to a paid account (by using a core, HoT, PoF or EoD key).

I meant full access to the base game.  Right now I don't have that for one simple reason: WvW mounts

The whole reasons I stopped playing GW2 was because they introduced mounts into WvW that you can only get via PoF.  WvW was really 95% of my play time in GW2, and not having a mount there simply didn't work.  That was like 5 years ago.

I guess I assumed they would have 'fixed' it by now because it doesn't make sense that you have to buy the 2nd expansion (or any expansion) to play a PvP mode.  It's counter to their promised game model that ANet went to great lengths to promote back in 2012.

So that's really why I wrote this post, I wanted to get back in WvW.  And after 5 long years thought that either a) maybe they finally let you get the Warclaw without owning PoF (like it should have been from the beginning), or b) maybe they finally lowered the price of PoF and I could just bite the bullet on it.  Both of those seem like perfectly reasonable expectations.

But no, Warclaws are still locked to PoF, and that expansion is still full price after 5 effing years.  Do you understand my frustration now?

Edited by Obsidian.1328
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

I meant full access to the base game.  Right now I don't have that for one simple reason: WvW mounts

The whole reasons I stopped playing GW2 was because they introduced mounts into WvW that you can only get via PoF.  WvW was really 95% of my play time in GW2, and not having a mount there simply didn't work.  That was like 5 years ago.

I guess I assumed they would have 'fixed' it by now because it doesn't make sense that you have to buy the 2nd expansion (or any expansion) to play a PvP mode.  It's counter to their promised game model that ANet went to great lengths to promote back in 2012.

So that's really why I wrote this post, I wanted to get back in WvW.  And after 5 long years thought that either a) maybe they finally let you get the Warclaw without owning PoF (like it should have been from the beginning), or b) maybe they finally lowered the price of PoF and I could just bite the bullet on it.  Both of those seem like perfectly reasonable expectations.

But no, Warclaws are still locked to PoF, and that expansion is still full price after 5 effing years.  Do you understand my frustration now?

mounts is a path of fire feature it is not a base game feature

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

mounts is a path of fire feature it is not a base game feature

That's the whole problem, they shouldn't be.

Expansions are supposed to be additional content, not additional features.  The base game is supposed to include everything you need to play the base features of said game, and not require an additional purchase.  WvW is a base feature of the game.  Mounts are vital to that game mode, you'll constantly be left behind and vulnerable without them.

By locking them inside the PoF expansion, they are essentially saying I can't play WvW anymore without me paying another $30 on top of the $100 I've already spent on the game.  What the actual eff.

No one should have to all of a sudden shell out more cash for a game mode that they've already paid for and spent 5 years playing anyway.  And all ANet really needs to do is to make the Warclaw unlockable without PoF.  But they won't do that because they don't want to miss out on the 1% of new players who go into WvW...despite it royally screwing over older players who've already forked over $60+ dollars.

I mean, how cheap can you get?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...