Any way to buy only Path of Fire?

1 hour ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

That's the whole problem, they shouldn't be.

Expansions are supposed to be additional content, not additional features.  The base game is supposed to include everything you need to play the base features of said game, and not require an additional purchase.  WvW is a base feature of the game.  Mounts are vital to that game mode, you'll constantly be left behind and vulnerable without them.

By locking them inside the PoF expansion, they are essentially saying I can't play WvW anymore without me paying another $30 on top of the $100 I've already spent on the game.  What the actual eff.

No one should have to all of a sudden shell out more cash for a game mode that they've already paid for and spent 5 years playing anyway.  And all ANet really needs to do is to make the Warclaw unlockable without PoF.  But they won't do that because they don't want to miss out on the 1% of new players who go into WvW...despite it royally screwing over older players who've already forked over $60+ dollars.

I mean, how cheap can you get?

You do know that warclaws share out a speed buff if you run on foot close to them right?

As I remember I got the price of core as discount for HoT, but just because I bought it shortly before they announced it was going to be free with HoT. Not sure how long was the time to be elegible for it but probably a few months. It doesn't make sense now for a special pack and so long later. Better wait for a sale.

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

You do know that warclaws share out a speed buff if you run on foot close to them right?

Yeup.  Trying to always stay in that tiny radius while roaming across the entire map is quite the WvW mini-game let me tell you.

Have you ever tried that on a constant basis?  It sucks man.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

Yeup.  Trying to always stay in that tiny radius while roaming across the entire map is quite the WvW mini-game let me tell you.

Have you ever tried that on a constant basis?  It sucks man.

Yes I have I do it all the time on my alt accounts that got base only upgrade.

21 hours ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

Thanks for that link btw, this first part is what I'm looking for:

• Full, unrestricted access to all content, free to play after one-time purchases of both Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire.
  • Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire (expansion), unrestricted access to core game and Path of Fire content, free to play after one-time purchase, or Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns (expansion), unrestricted access to core game and Heart of Thorns content, free to play after one-time purchase.
  • Guild Wars 2 (original), unrestricted access to core game, but no Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire features, free to play after purchase, no longer available for purchase from ArenaNet.
  • Free Account, restricted access to core game, no expansion features, unlimited time, totally free.
  • Trial Account, obsolete (no longer available), limited time access with restrictions similar to free accounts.

Okay, so me not owning the second expansion (2nd, mind you!) means I don't actually have the full game anymore?  How is that possible?  How can they downgrade a $60 game to a restriction-heavy tutorial?  Why is the 2nd expansion to a game considered to be the 'full' game?  That makes no sense at all.  Expansions are never anything but bonus content added to the base game, they have it backwards for christs sake.

So they completely reverted the base game to some weird kind of, like you aptly said, 'trial' scenario with tons of restrictions...for what reason?  Why did they trash the core game like that?  So I basically paid the standard premium $60 price for a triple-A game...that is no longer a triple-A game.  But rather a super neato tutorial with little access to most things considered a normal part of the game.

Holy crap, what a effing crok.

I've updated the Wiki article to more reflect the current iteration.

so much wrong information, just cause someone doesnt want to pay for a game.

Core game is not a tutorial. It is a bit outdated, but still a very good game and I believe many players still spend most time in core. Just cause it is free to play, doesn't mean it is now lesser then it was before.  Most free to play limitations  exist  to prevent them being used by hackers/cheaters/goldsellers.

In most games you have to:
Buy each and every expansion to play all game modes on a compettitive level
Pay a monthly fee to have access to the service.

For one of the more famous competitors this is about 230 USD per year.

With GW2 if you are an active player, you'll need to.
Pay 30 USD once every few years to have all features, content and maps unlocked for you, including living world releases when they release.

If you do not have such resources, it is also ok to not pay it and still being able to play most of the game.

The developers need to make a living. Yes it is a business, but it is an ok busines that does not rip you off. Don't want everything for free!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

so much wrong information, just cause someone doesnt want to pay for a game.

Core game is not a tutorial. It is a bit outdated, but still a very good game and I believe many players still spend most time in core. Just cause it is free to play, doesn't mean it is now lesser then it was before.  Most free to play limitations  exist  to prevent them being used by hackers/cheaters/goldsellers.

In most games you have to:
Buy each and every expansion to play all game modes on a compettitive level
Pay a monthly fee to have access to the service.

For one of the more famous competitors this is about 230 USD per year.

With GW2 if you are an active player, you'll need to.
Pay 30 USD once every few years to have all features, content and maps unlocked for you, including living world releases when they release.

If you do not have such resources, it is also ok to not pay it and still being able to play most of the game.

The developers need to make a living. Yes it is a business, but it is an ok busines that does not rip you off. Don't want everything for free!

But I'm not trying to participate in any of the new content, WvW has been almost completely unchanged since about a year after it started.  There's basically very little development time and money going into it.  It doesn't make sense that I should pay another $30 for a basic game mode that has been unchanged for a decade.  If this was just about wanting to play the new expansions, then of course I should pay for that.  But that's not what I'm talking about.

Like I said, I already shelled out >$100 for GW2, and that's without PoF or EoD.  It's quite silly to say that I should just have to pay again for content that is part of the core game.  At least is was for 5 long years, until they made the WvW mounts locked to PoF.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Obsidian.1328 said:

But I'm not trying to participate in any of the new content, WvW has been almost completely unchanged since about a year after it started.  There's basically very little development time and money going into it.  It doesn't make sense that I should pay another $30 for a basic game mode that has been unchanged for a decade.  If this was just about wanting to play the new expansions, then of course I should pay for that.  But that's not what I'm talking about.

Changes to WvW is underway and it's probably been since the release of Heart of Thorns that so much development has been going on with WvW. It's taking a long time, agreed, but they're working on Alliances, we know that a rewards overhaul is coming and they're trying to fix long-standing bugs. A new weapon set, exclusive for WvW, has also been teased a while ago. So while it might seem that it got quite less attention (which is absolutely true), things are moving and should be coming in the near future.

That being said, PoF and HoT have been combined as a package deal and in fact, the way to look at it is when you buy Path of Fire, you'll get Heart of Thorns for free. So there is only the option to buy them both, but in fact you are just buying Path of Fire.
If you'd just want Path of Fire, without Heart of Thorns, you'd still pay 30 for it.

OP is moving the goal posts.  At first, he/she only wanted to pay $15 dollars for Path of Fire only; now that that is an option (upcoming sales), he/she claims that expansions should never offer features (🙄) and wants said features included in his/her previous purchases.  One has to wonder why she/he purchased Heart of Thorns if he/she was/is only interested in WvW. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/1/2022 at 4:27 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

OP is moving the goal posts.  At first, he/she only wanted to pay $15 dollars for Path of Fire only; now that that is an option (upcoming sales), he/she claims that expansions should never offer features (🙄) and wants said features included in his/her previous purchases.  One has to wonder why she/he purchased Heart of Thorns if he/she was/is only interested in WvW. 

Okay.

I wanted to only pay $15 because essential content (some may argue Warclaws are simply a nicety, but reality would suggest otherwise) for WvW was locked behind a 2nd expansion...which is why I said expansions shouldn't include features that do things like retroactively gate base-game content (which is what WvW is), and not...you know...just any features like you conveniently simplified.

I purchased HoT because I was still somewhat interested in the PvE aspect of the game at the time.  So if one has to wonder that, that is the wonderful answer.  Not sure why you mentioned this part, it's perfectly normal for someone to purchase one expansion and not another.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...

My whole issue with how the dlc are being sold is the fact that you can't buy them separately, I own HoT, I don't want to pay again just to get PoF. Especially with the fact that if you bought PoF you get HoT for free. For those who keep saying that buying that pack means you get HoT for free with it, it doesn't. If you're getting something "for free" that means you can get it separately on it's own by paying for it. Seeing how you can't buy either dlc on it's own that means neither of them is "free" you are paying to get both dlc, meaning if you are paying 15 for PoF and 15 for Hot. Meaning that if you had HoT before you had to pay 30 for the dlc when it wasn't in the bundle, plus the 15 you have to pay now to get the bundle just to also have PoF. It wouldn't be a issue if you could get the dlc's on their own.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Jake The Rake.5731 said:

My whole issue with how the dlc are being sold is the fact that you can't buy them separately, I own HoT, I don't want to pay again just to get PoF. Especially with the fact that if you bought PoF you get HoT for free. For those who keep saying that buying that pack means you get HoT for free with it, it doesn't. If you're getting something "for free" that means you can get it separately on it's own by paying for it. Seeing how you can't buy either dlc on it's own that means neither of them is "free" you are paying to get both dlc, meaning if you are paying 15 for PoF and 15 for Hot. Meaning that if you had HoT before you had to pay 30 for the dlc when it wasn't in the bundle, plus the 15 you have to pay now to get the bundle just to also have PoF. It wouldn't be a issue if you could get the dlc's on their own.

Well, but you get HoT for free now.

HoT used to be €44.99 PoF used to be €29.99

If PoF is bad value to you because you get HoT for free with it, either wait for a sale or take your chance and wait for the next expansion. ArenaNet does not want new players to have to pay for all the old expansions so perhaps PoF and HoT is going to be free with EoD once the 4th expansion is out.

And in case you missed it:

TL;DR: There is no lower price for PoF only. But from time to time the PoF + HoT pack are on sale.

The price of HoT is 0.00 (When you buy PoF)

The price of PoF is now 29.99 (Sometimes there is a discount)

Price of PoF will not be lower if you already have HoT or don't want HoT.

If you bought HoT in the past you don't get a refund because it is free now, you payed for the privilege to play HoT in the years before PoF was released. But there was a small gesture to the early buyers of HoT.

I guess some players want HoT to cost € 15,00 now and PoF € 15,00 as well. But that would lower revenue a bit. And as GW2 is a game that gives you no timely fees, ArenaNet will need to make money with expansion sales and gem store sales. So it think the current expansion pricing is very fair.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826

3 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I think, technically ArenaNet will still give you HoT with it as soon as you add the key. Even if it is an old PoF key before the bundle sale.

Won't matter, or be noticeable, to those that already own Heart of Thorns. 

If someone just wants a lower price for Path of Fire, there are other retailers.  Just be sure they will give refunds if there is an issue. 

You know they're going to do the same thing with End of Dragons right? They'll let it run its course for a year or two, then they'll retire Path of Fire and merge it into EoD, because it keeps the game accessible for future players. Its actually a good model, and part of what has kept this game alive for so long.

Some of you must really hate taxes and similar things that help other people, geez.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Well, but you get HoT for free now.

HoT used to be €44.99 PoF used to be €29.99

If PoF is bad value to you because you get HoT for free with it, either wait for a sale or take your chance and wait for the next expansion. ArenaNet does not want new players to have to pay for all the old expansions so perhaps PoF and HoT is going to be free with EoD once the 4th expansion is out.

And in case you missed it:

I guess some players want HoT to cost € 15,00 now and PoF € 15,00 as well. But that would lower revenue a bit. And as GW2 is a game that gives you no timely fees, ArenaNet will need to make money with expansion sales and gem store sales. So it think the current expansion pricing is very fair.

But as I already said it's not free, something being free means I don't have to pay anything to get access to it, but you have to pay to get access to it, thus it is not free. It also doesn't come with Path of fire for "free" because there are no other ways to get it anymore, you are infact paying for both dlc when you buy the bundle. I also never said the pricing was a issue, I think the pricing is quite far, my issue is that there is no way to buy the two separately if you already have one and on top of that some people don't have to pay to get the full bundle while others do all because they bought a different part of the same dlc bundle. If they at the bare minimum allowed those who already owned HoT to buy PoF on it's own then it wouldn't be a issue, but now if I want PoF I also have to pay for HoT again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

One can no longer purchase the core game separately anymore either.  The original paid/unlocked account status is included for free in all the expansions.  You going to ask why you have to repurchase the core game when you buy any of the expansions too?

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Old topic but It's now 2024 and I'm having a very similar issue, if not the same.
Bought HoT long time ago. Never played the game too much tbh but I do have some max lvl characters and one of them has 8 chapters of the character storyline completed (Yes, I haven't even played HoT, I think).  Now I'm actually hooked to the game and can appreciate a lot more the content and I'm enjoying it. However the game kinda MAKES you want to own PoF, which makes sense (Also the games doesn't do a great job at informing exactly what dlc gives you what mounts and what perks, you have to investigate wiki, etc, it shouldn't be necessary).
Now I want to buy PoF but in the store I can only buy the bundle for 30 usd which have PoF and HoT. I get it, it's good for new players. HOWEVER, if you already OWN HoT because you BOUGHT IT, price for PoF SHOULD be cheaper if now includes something that you previously HAVE to buy before. And it should ONLY be cheaper for people that OWNS HoT, not to everyone. That extra shared slot, the lvl 80 boost and being able to play it at that time I think it's NOT enough to justify buying HoT at that moment and now being free, SPECIALLY when buying PoF gets you HoT. It not a proper answer to just "wait for sale". 
Luckily for me a new dlc is about to drop so prices of other dlc's might drop as well. Problem is I never stick for too long with the same game so they acually are missing on cashing money from me probably because I doubt I will still be playing in a month specially with Throne and Liberty coming up. What I'm trying to say is that I'd have bought PoF if it was 15 usd and didn't include content I already own. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Edited by Powerblazing.9503
  • Confused 1