Missed Opportunity - Banners

Dralor.3701

This mechanic/utility has been implemented pretty poorly for the warrior but it’s also a waste of design space that could be used for future elite specs. Basically do anything and it would be an improvement.

Not saying any of the following is perfect or feasible just some thinking outside of the box. Current banner design is unimaginative, clunky, and not fun. (Clunky rarely is)

Why couldn’t banners function similar to signets but provide an aoe effect instead of a singular effect? (Hamster in the machine has reached its limit?) Limit to one per char or something similar? Could still have a plant mechanic.

Make it an offhand bundle, give some activate in the ability slot but still let people use 1-3 (do something 4-5).

I’m sure you have received plenty of good suggestions on the forums over the many years; this isn’t a brand new game so it’s strange to see how something ending up in this state is okay.

Why couldn’t banners function similar to signets but provide an aoe effect instead of a singular effect? (Hamster in the machine has reached its limit?) Limit to one per char or something similar? Could still have a plant mechanic.

I've.... actually never considered this but that would be an option. Have the skill essentially be a "pulse some boons over yonder" targetable AoE (possibly being the thing giving 5s quickness, with a 20s CD when not traited?) and then you're raring to go.

They would have to make the signets be LUDRICROUSLY overpowered then to warrant a warrior taking them. Like, a flat double of whatever effects/bonuses that the signets currently give would be minimum required.

(I'm still of the opinion Banners should be reworked as weapon kits or something)

52 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

I've.... actually never considered this but that would be an option. Have the skill essentially be a "pulse some boons over yonder" targetable AoE (possibly being the thing giving 5s quickness, with a 20s CD when not traited?) and then you're raring to go.

They would have to make the signets be LUDRICROUSLY overpowered then to warrant a warrior taking them. Like, a flat double of whatever effects/bonuses that the signets currently give would be minimum required.

(I'm still of the opinion Banners should be reworked as weapon kits or something)

That’s why I said they would need a cap or like you said would yet be a straight upgrade.

We’ve discussed on here several times something similar, having banners be worked like Facets, with a small flip skill. Would work as such:

Duration: 40s 

Cooldown: 20s

Cooldown triggers after flip skill is used or banner expires (flip skill ends passive effect).

Sample: 

Banner of Defense: pulse resistances 1s every 1s (same as they are implementing with this patch.)

Flip Skill: Grant protection and barrier to nearby allies. 

This would allow multiple banner uptime centered around the player, fixing the relocation issue, as well as slightly expanding the functionality of banners (via flip skill). 

There’s also some cool stuff you could do with banner traits if they become mobile+flip skill, but that’s a whole different discussion. 

Then again I’m not super attached to banner changes since I don’t pve much. Would be cool if they were usable in wvw/pvp (which I think a facet style implementation would’ve done), but it’s not that important to me. 

Overall, as someone who isn’t interested in banners or support, this patch looks like it did pretty much what other warriors have been asking for, plus small spell buffs, so I don’t think it’s that bad. Some people are dramatic af.