Dear ANet: Your Actions Speak Louder Than Words Do | Some Calm Feedback

Vet since launch. Actually played consistently since launch too. Dunno if I'll be back honestly.

----- Why People Are So Upset: -----

For what it's worth, I think a lot of the animosity people are feeling right now stems from not getting a real (actually fun balance patch, (since before the 2020 nerf one,) in over 3 years now. While being told consistently "No for real, soon." People playing this game are devoted, and like any MMO have put a LOT of their time & effort into it. Much more than the devs in many cases. And that's fine, but don't send death threats to the studio that's stupid. Vote with your wallet & do something else with your time.

----- People Care About Balance, Why Don't You? -----

That being said, since the 2020 nerf patch, which was "Supposed to be followed up with balance patches as frequent as every 2 weeks," - CMC Balance in this game has, no exaggeration, felt like an abusive relationship.

----- No Balance, New Runes, Or Sigils -----

EoD was 85% of an expansion. We didn't get any new sigils or runes. We got unfinished buggy classes. (4/9) of whose names make 0 sense in relation to what the class actually does. And we haven't gotten a "balance patch" until now. A patch which, coupled with the leaks from the Dev Discord, confirm that this was more like 3 weeks of work than 3 years.

----- Bring Back The Fun -----

ANet you can't even maintain a consistent vision between year-gapped patches and have 0 proof that anyone on your team, or even the studio at this point, plays the game enough to care about iterating on skills as a priority. One Dev says "Nerf everything and we'll fix it later." & another says "Buff the already over-performing stuff to compete with Firebrand and we'll fix everything else later." You've gotta understand from our perspective: These 0 fun patches, where you keep nerfing clever things people come up with (i.e. using scorched earth for it's power damage because it ignores projectile blocks" even tho Berserker is literally otherwise the worst class in WvW) feel like getting punched in the gut over & over while being told "No really I can change!" I'm not being sarcastic when I say this: It seems like a lot of you don't play this game because you don't like other people having fun unless it's the very specific way that you intend at the moment. (See also Homogenizing dungeon currencies to effectively finally kill that sub community. Or moving mystic coins to strikes from fractals instead of just adding them to both and allowing them to be cheaper. *Which your NVidia promotion ultimately did anyway.

Grouch asked for calm feedback. And I'm genuinely not meaning this as antagonistic. I have over 10,000 hours in this game & honestly I think I'm done. It causes me more anxiety than fun at this point. Guild Wars 2 had what is undoubtedly, hands-down, the best underlying combat system of any MMO. I just wish the studio thought so.

Edited by PurpleBakery.4589
formatting
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 14

I'll share my thoughts, and why I'm mad.

I am a chronomancer. That's what I do. And it's a rought time because the class got nerfed and destroyed several times, never been meta in the last 7 years in any content, it's fine, I don't want to be meta. But the recent rework totally destroyed chronomancer even further (and it was pretty kittening dead already in all game modes).

I'm not asking for mesmer changes to be designed by a mesmer player, I'm just asking for mesmer to be designed by anyone with a double digit IQ (not asking for triple digits, trust me even 2 is enough here).

Just sit and think what you're doing with the two new wells.

What's the point of a skill granting superspeed if you have to stand still for 3 seconds to get it? In other words, why would I use a skill to move when the prerequisite is "I can't move"? This doesn't require the deepest knowledge about the game, this requires just for 2 working neurons to touch; a skill to move should help you move, not root you in place for 3 seconds.

What's the point of a skill ripping two boons after your opponent sit in there for 3 seconds? On mesmer in particular I have already all the boonrip I could ever possibly ask for, but... if I'm targeting anyone, and this guy won't move for 3 seconds... it's because he's DEAD! AND WHEN YOU'RE DEAD, YOU HAVE NO BOONS TO REMOVE! Did you even think that by the time the well gets to its last tick, the boons I wanted to remove will have expired on their own? In the name of God, what is the intended usage of this skill?

I know you guys want us to use wells to get our alac, but did you ever think these wells should be actual kittening skills and do something, otherwise there's no reason to get them? These are all things that don't require that much knowledge about the game. This requires a designer to take 5 minutes of their time and actually think, instead of just tossing a dice, and whatever comes becomes your skill.

Now, if you want some idea about how could you rework chronomancer wells, feel free to check my signature. The idea is there, it fits with chronomancer design, it explained sufficiently in-depth, it's free. Just... use your brain. It can't be that hard.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

What's the point of a skill granting superspeed if you have to stand still for 3 second to get it? In other words, why would I use a skill to move when the prerequisite is "I can't move"? This doesn't require the deepest knowledge about the game, this requires just for 2 working neurons to touch; a skill to move should help you move, not root you in place for 3 seconds.

What's the point of a skill ripping two boons after your opponent sit in there for 3 seconds? On mesmer in particular I have already all the boonrip I could ever possibly ask for, but... if I'm targeting anyone, and this guy sits in the same place for 3 seconds... it's because he's DEAD! AND WHEN YOU'RE DEAD, YOU HAVE NO BOONS TO REMOVE! In the name of God, what is the intended usage of this skill?

Hold on, as a regular war player I have a sick suggestion for your wells. Grip your chair arms, this is really good. I suggest that you should be able to ..... pick up the well and carry it (removing weapon skills, like... duh?). Solves your problems no? NO? I'm telling you its really good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Hold on, as a regular war player I have a sick suggestion for your wells. Grip your chair arms, this is really good. I suggest that you should be able to ..... pick up the well and carry it (removing weapon skills, like... duh?). Solves your problems no? NO? I'm telling you its really good.

You ugly kitten, I wasn't in the mood to laugh but you did it, you really did. That was good.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PurpleBakery.4589 said:

- snip -

Sadly, you are out luck if you want them to read your post as you used a too small font size and their wiki, where they learn how things work…, does not explain how to zoom the web in the browser.  🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PurpleBakery.4589 said:

calm feedback

This post is objectively correct. A good portion of us have been playing these classes for years (some of us purely for entertainment/challenge rather than titles or rank), and there's some good opinions to be found if you can sift the reactionary nerf requests from them. 

If you need proof, watch people in the arena. Ask people to duel. spectate matches. You can corroborate lots of these assertions relatively easily by putting yourself in the player's shoes and asking yourself "how can/would I respond to class or mechanic x, if I am playing class or mechanic y", then see if people are doing that. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261

Im a Power Mirage main since 2018 and got back into the game seriously in March just by chance. Probably shoulda uninstalled the second I saw that I still had 1 dodge. Mesmer has been in the dumps for a long time but I was holding out hope that there would be sweeping changes for all professions as promised. All we got was a nerf to a single trait. Chrono got butchered in pve lol. This awful meta was hardly addressed at all. 

This patch is just baffling. The balance devs are actively trying to sabotage the success from EOD. They're doing a good job at it too. It's been a really cool expansion and the recent update actually had decent content that's all but forgotten at this point. PVP balance (and the entire gamemode) has been maliciously neglected. It's not hard to make some random tweaks every now and then and hope for the best. It's not hard to see that 2 specs dominate the entire gamemode and maybe turn down some numbers. The balance team must feel very comfortable in their positions, because very few companies would every pay for such ineffective and lazy work. 

I'm tired of waiting for Mesmer to be viable again. Warriors feel the same too. I love this game so much. The combat is amazing which makes PVP the best of most. Its pretty hurtful when my profession and gamemode are consistently given the middle finger by ANet. When you say balance has "felt like an abusive relationship" you're absolutely right. I don't have anywhere to turn to. Guild Wars 2 has been a really important part of my life, especially recently during some rough times, but it's looking like I'll have to drop it unless the devs finally decide to care again. 

• Thanks 1