Dear Anet, THANK YOU for adding Emboldened to raids! [Merged]

I write this on a break as the squad gets geared up and takes a break.  Right now I'm watching a more experienced player buy an entire set of armor and runes for a new raider and mail it to them.  We spent over an hour wiping on Vale Guardian before beating it with only nine players with all five stacks of emboldened.  The LFG I created was open to anyone and the majority of these people had never killed a single boss.  I've had a very bad run with toxic players in raids before.  Based on what other people say, I feel like I have astronomically bad luck to almost always get in with elitist squads, and while I did manage to craft the Envoy armor, I never went back to raiding and I didn't look back on it too fondly.  But because of this change, I felt enabled myself.  I know what some people might say, you could've done that anytime, you still had to learn the mechanics so the buff didn't actually make it easier in that way, yes yes.  But I *felt* bad about raids as my state of mind, and this made me *feel* like I suddenly had the power to take the lead myself. 

With a squad I started, we managed to kill a boss and we're going to keep going.  I can't take all the credit here, someone else stepped in as the tag and I really didn't do much leading beyond some advice on mechanics here and there.  The real heroes are the people who joined my group, banded together across all levels of experience, and held each other up to get across the finish line.  To me, that's the essence of why emboldened was a good idea.  That's why Anet did it I assume, and that's why I love it.  Yes getting raid rewards with more accessibility is extremely nice and admittedly what got me to make a group to begin with, but now I see the real value is how it brings players together and makes a formerly very intimidating type of content feel welcoming and open.  Because it is! You can actually do it!  A group of random people came together and adjusted their builds and strategies as a team, the new players learned how the boss worked, and even when we wiped it was all smiles and laughs like "haha well that's another stack for us!"  Giving people a boost each time they die is a brilliant way to keep up morale in the face of repeated failure.  We wiped on time on 1% and instead of getting enraged that we were so close and lost, I was happy because we go so close! I knew the next one would get us there.

Enough words from me though, I don't need to keep repeating myself.  I just wanted to make sure that there's positive feedback because often times the happy people just stay silently happy and the complainers have a reason to go be loud.  This is me making absolutely sure everyone at Anet knows my day has been made, and another nine people are having a great time too.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Welcome to the club once you  find your groove in raiding there is no going back, only forward! I started out simple in a group that never could kill a boss, but we had fun being together in there. Over time I  started to join pugs and learn bosses some people were nice some not so nice, but the raid bug had bitten me and I wanted to see more. Its taken me 2 years to attempt the legendary achievements in raids , but with the help of good guildmates and other people I did it. Now im moving into CMs and even tanking, it may seem slow  for some people but this has been an accomplishment forme my hand dont work too well since an accident but I still love raiding gimpy hand or not! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jet.5984 said:

I'm definitely tempted to jump into a raid for the first time because of this change.

Join us! I plan to try and finish wing one tomorrow with the Sabetha fight. No idea what time or what timezone you’re in but if you see the lfg come on in! I’m sure there will be plenty of other people doing the same as well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Did a raid for the first time in years last night and am really enjoying emboldened mode. Wish it could have been added sooner!

One change I would request is that it not be a weekly selection but available in all raid wings. I’m not sure what the philosophy behind making it one wing per week was but I’m assuming it’s maybe to funnel people into the same wing to help fill slots?

I’m proposing that it be available on all because there is already a weekly lockout and for some people getting collections completed, being able to return to that raid the following week with the option for embolden gives them the leeway to do that without needing to wait till it cycles back. Also, you may find a group that you really enjoy running with and want to continue progressing through wings. There’s also real life circumstances where something may prevent you from being able to play a certain week and miss out on having the embolden option and a potential clear.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Dear Anet, THANK YOU for adding Emboldened to raids! [Merged]
16 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

One change I would request is that it not be a weekly selection but available in all raid wings. I’m not sure what the philosophy behind making it one wing per week was but I’m assuming it’s maybe to funnel people into the same wing to help fill slots?

Emboldened seem to have been create to let people discover the battles, with the goal of being able to graduate out of it once you have mastered the mechanics. I see two reason for them not to have emboldened on all wings at once :

- first, it doesn't invalidate the normal mode. If emboldened was on every wings at once, it would make normal mode pretty useless. By having only one wing per week in emboldened, it rewards people that don't only do the weekly emboldened wing; and encourage emboldened players to move up and try their hand at normal mode once they understand the fights.

- second, as you said, it funels new players into a single wing; it ensure that people looking for training will find more players with the same goal than if they were spread accross all the wings.

I like emboldened; it's great to teach new people and for thoses weeks when you don't have time and you just want to rush through a few bosses; but it's a crutch, and we shouldn't rely.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Aralicia.6157 said:

Emboldened seem to have been create to let people discover the battles, with the goal of being able to graduate out of it once you have mastered the mechanics. I see two reason for them not to have emboldened on all wings at once :

- first, it doesn't invalidate the normal mode. If emboldened was on every wings at once, it would make normal mode pretty useless. By having only one wing per week in emboldened, it rewards people that don't only do the weekly emboldened wing; and encourage emboldened players to move up and try their hand at normal mode once they understand the fights.

- second, as you said, it funels new players into a single wing; it ensure that people looking for training will find more players with the same goal than if they were spread accross all the wings.

I like emboldened; it's great to teach new people and for thoses weeks when you don't have time and you just want to rush through a few bosses; but it's a crutch, and we shouldn't rely.

Crutch or not it’s several year old content now in most cases and the vast majority of the playerbase wasn’t participating in them. With the addition of strikes which require fewer resources and likely being the go-to for the majority of end game challenging content I just don’t see the harm in having it as an option.

It’s not a mechanic change, it’s just a stat increase. I believe the rewards are the same as well right? Seems most people interested in the “real deal” without crutches would probably already have done these raids. And if not they could always just not turn the mechanic on.

I just don’t see any reason outside of funneling players why the option couldn’t be there from the get-go. 

For future raids I could totally understand, if there are any, to postpone the embolden option for a certain period of time similar to how WoW postpones their LFG tool for raids as that is a weaker mode with less mechanics AND a buff on defeat mechanism I believe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

Crutch or not it’s several year old content now in most cases and the vast majority of the playerbase wasn’t participating in them. With the addition of strikes which require fewer resources and likely being the go-to for the majority of end game challenging content I just don’t see the harm in having it as an option.

It’s not a mechanic change, it’s just a stat increase. I believe the rewards are the same as well right? Seems most people interested in the “real deal” without crutches would probably already have done these raids. And if not they could always just not turn the mechanic on.

I just don’t see any reason outside of funneling players why the option couldn’t be there from the get-go. 

For future raids I could totally understand, if there are any, to postpone the embolden option for a certain period of time similar to how WoW postpones their LFG tool for raids as that is a weaker mode with less mechanics AND a buff on defeat mechanism I believe.

You have to actively turn it off aint it on by default?