Where are pistol changes?

Bomboed.5697

Let that sink in: the rifle AA now causes explosions that actually count towards the game mechanic while the pistol that fires exploding bullets still doesn't. Nothing against the rifle doing that btw. my issue here is more with the later...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Pistol

• Shorter range
  • Lower damage
  • Animation is 66% longer than tooltip
  • Takes an eternity for condi portion of damage to actually tick
  • Doesn't pierce
  • AoE on auto rarely hits multiple targets
  • AoE explosion doesn't apply bleed and isn't an "explosion"
  • Worse CC (blind continues to get less effective as more skills become multi-hit incl. rifle)
  • Buggy skills frequently fail and go on cooldown
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Suyheuti.1732 said:

Yeah you are right maybe. But in your rotation, you use grenades as a filler instead of pistol autoattack. I get it, because pistol AA is too bad. 

Because pistol plays as engineer was originally intended. Its a build about actives, no low intensity afking. 

53 minutes ago, Jaricko.6143 said:

Because pistol plays as engineer was originally intended. Its a build about actives, no low intensity afking. 

Just what we need for afk playing is buffing pistol AA. 

We use sword autoattack, it is quite strong and Holosmith is low intensity build? (Holosmith is my favourite engineer espec) 

I hate kits. But I'm not ignoring, just I dont want to use kits more than 1. Why I hate? Because, I was playing with condi holosmith and I was plaiyng piano by using 3 kits. I hate since than. Thanks to Mech devs, mace aa is good. I dont want to throw grenade, because I can miss grenades at moving targets. So I ask about fixing pistol AA. 

Pistol is the condi effort build. Mace is the condi easy mode. Historically engie has always used 1 or 2 kits. Its not bad once you get used to it. However if you cannot cut it, there is a multitude of easier builds. All of which do enough dps to clear any part of the game. But if you feel like challenging yourself the reward is a few thousand more dps. 

27 minutes ago, Jaricko.6143 said:

Pistol is the condi effort build. Mace is the condi easy mode. Historically engie has always used 1 or 2 kits. Its not bad once you get used to it. However if you cannot cut it, there is a multitude of easier builds. All of which do enough dps to clear any part of the game. But if you feel like challenging yourself the reward is a few thousand more dps. 

There's more to weapon design than how they slot into a max dps rotation. There's how fun and usable the weapon is in open world, pvp, wvw, etc. Pistol lags behind every other weapon in these areas.

Rifle was mostly buffed to feel better and play better. Pistol needs the same (except it also needs effectiveness buffs too because it's been waiting for those for like 7+ years.

• Like 4

Lol you aren't using rifle in wvw unless you are roaming. And if you are roaming you can use whatever you want. If you try to enter a zerg with a rifle equipped and no kits to back it up, expect to get swiftly destroyed and kicked from squad. Idk about pvp. I have not touched it since they dumbed it down like 5 - 6 years ago. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 7:36 AM, Suyheuti.1732 said:

Just what we need for afk playing is buffing pistol AA. 

We use sword autoattack, it is quite strong and Holosmith is low intensity build? (Holosmith is my favourite engineer espec) 

I hate kits. But I'm not ignoring, just I dont want to use kits more than 1. Why I hate? Because, I was playing with condi holosmith and I was plaiyng piano by using 3 kits. I hate since than. Thanks to Mech devs, mace aa is good. I dont want to throw grenade, because I can miss grenades at moving targets. So I ask about fixing pistol AA. 

You know holoforge mode is basically just a kit, with a few extra bells and whistles, right?

I really like Pistol as is, Duel Pistol Condi Holo is my favourite build in the game and Engi Pistols are probs my favourite weapons in the whole game. And if Anet messed them up like they ruined Rifle imo then i will lose my fave playstyle in the game, If they do change it just up its numbers. Maybe 6 stacks of confuse but only 2 bounces on static shock, Basic attack bleeds in AOE and is an Explode and with all the immob increases maybe glue shot is a 6 sec immob that cripples on pulse. 

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Holly.8190 said:

I really like Pistol as is, Duel Pistol Condi Holo is my favourite build in the game and Engi Pistols are probs my favourite weapons in the whole game. And if Anet messed them up like they ruined Rifle imo then i will lose my fave playstyle in the game, If they do change it just up its numbers. Maybe 6 stacks of confuse but only 2 bounces on static shock, Basic attack bleeds in AOE and is an Explode and with all the immob increases maybe glue shot is a 6 sec immob that cripples on pulse. 

Pistol/Pistol during the second beta was the only reason Engineer was my first (and for like 6 months my only) character and I don't want to join the at times toxic bandwagon for a pistol fix, but it really does need more help than numbers.  Your suggestions are good, but not enough for the weapon to stand on its own without kits. And I think that needs to be a guiding principle for future Engineer weapon changes. They need to have at least some potential to allow for kitless or more limited kit play on at least one spec.

Also, the only change they made to rifle that was really questionable was not reverting the animation change to skill 5 after they reverted the range increase5. Otherwise I think the changes made to rifle are absolutely a good model for how pistol should be updated. At the very least I would be gleeful if skill 5 was excised from the game.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:13 AM, coro.3176 said:

Monthly update: Pistols still garbage.

Maybe we could crowd-fund a dev to do a couple hours overtime and actually fix pistol? It's needed work for nearly a decade..

I mean, if it gets their attention, I'd actually pitch in.

3 hours ago, lorddarkflare.9186 said:

Pistol/Pistol during the second beta was the only reason Engineer was my first (and for like 6 months my only) character and I don't want to join the at times toxic bandwagon for a pistol fix, but it really does need more help than numbers.  Your suggestions are good, but not enough for the weapon to stand on its own without kits. And I think that needs to be a guiding principle for future Engineer weapon changes. They need to have at least some potential to allow for kitless or more limited kit play on at least one spec.

Also, the only change they made to rifle that was really questionable was not reverting the animation change to skill 5 after they reverted the range increase5. Otherwise I think the changes made to rifle are absolutely a good model for how pistol should be updated. At the very least I would be gleeful if skill 5 was excised from the game.

As someone who loves Kits maybe i am Biased but i feel like a small increase to the autos fire rate would be enough for Kitless Pistols, at least in Open world but moving away from kits overall i feel is a bad step as without kits Engi is always gonna lag behind except for mechanist but thats cos the Mech does 45% of your overall damage. The last thing i want is for Anet to start moving further away from what made Engi mains come over before Mechanist, They have already replaced toolbelt with a mech and if they add in a weapon swap and start moving to more Kitless based stuff odds are the reasons i love Engi will disappear. I have already stopped using rifle cos the changes they made to it took away the fun of using rifle imo.

I do agree with changing rifle 5s animation back, i miss the scream and the new animation looks out of place on Engineer. I also bounced of every slight incline in Echovald, was super annoying.