LWS2 achievement changes

Solvar.7953

I didn't see this in the release notes, but tonight I played through 'Pact Assaulted' and 'The Mystery Cave' for the first time on a given character, and the achievements were available for completion on that play through.  A couple weeks ago, I played through 'Arcana Obscura' on that same character, and the achievements were not available.

I had previously played through those chapters on a different character.  But if this is an intentional change, it is certainly a welcome one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm 99% sure I didn't do it before on that character.  I can't really think why I would have done only that chapter on that character.  I will also note that when I entered the instances, I entered on the green star, and not the purple one that you usually get if replaying LWS2 instances for achievements.

But I'll try to find another character that has not done it and see if achievements are available for them on first play through. 

I did confirm this change - I started that chapter with a character that had not done any of LWS2 (checked with their status in the hero panel/story), and upon entering Hidden Arcana, the 3 achievements I had yet to do were shown as active.  And I got the usual end of mission rewards also, which you don't get on replays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They weren't showing before (I did Arcana Obscura about 2 weeks ago for the first time on a different character, and nothing showed up).  Believe me, I'm familiar with how the LWS2 achievements work out, because I was going through and replaying chapters to get them (though had to replay them on a character that did them, so my method was complete an LWS2 season for that character, than go back and replay that chapter picking up achievements with that character)

And on the character I played through Arcana Obscura last night (which as noted, had never played through that chapter before), I was awarded with the No Culinary Application achievement on that characters first play through.

It would be nice for someone else to try this, and either confirm this change or deny it (and then I have to figure out why my account is special - though I won't complain).  That seems a lot easier to do than speculating that this change does not exist.

• Like 1

Well, I played through LWS2 on 16 characters over the course of several years, and I did all the achievements as well.

I also remember getting mad at achievements being shown in the boon bar as "eligible" but undoable unless you have finished the episode on that character (though I am not sure whether this was in LWS2 or some other LW seasons).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah I’m pretty certain they were showing too since it caught me out in the past when the achievement didn’t tick off despite showing eligibility

If I’m wrong and they untangled the code they previously were unable to and made it work as it should, then it’s an excellent change. I might have a look next time I login

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I was doing more of the LWS2 achievements and have a little to add.

I did 'Meeting the Asura' with a character that had not done it before (entered on green star).  I finished 'Invisible Infiltration' - got the reward, AP, etc.  However, the challenge mote was nowhere to be found.

Just to make sure it wasn't a bug or I was missing it, I then replayed that story on a character that had done it before (Entering on purple star).  Challenge mote was extremely obvious, and I did complete the instance and got credit for it.

So it still looks like they did change it so that you can get credit for achievements on first play through, unless that achievement requires a challenge mote, which may not show up until replayed on a character who has played through it before.

I don't have a lot of LWS2 things to check this on, since I've already completed the achievements for most of them, and just going through finishing those I have not done before.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Further research:

I was able to do the achievements for the Fort Concordia story step in Entanglement with a first time character, but not Fort Salma.

I did partially attempt (but got no) achievements on the Fort Concordia step on a previously completed character shortly before trying on my new character.

Launched Arcana Obscura with a completed character, achievements available. Launched with new character, achievements there.

Changed active story step on old character to something else, new character still on Arcana Obscura still have achievements.

Started Meeting the Asura on new character without doing so first on the old, achievments there...

There is some unknown qualifications here for the achievements showing up. I wish they'd just tell us.

Edited by squeegee.4320
  • Like 1

To close this out, this was in todays release notes.  So I don't know if what was encountered was some pre-release or beta or something else.  Would be curious to see if this change also fixes the challenge mote issue:

Living World 

• Living World Season 2 achievements will no longer require story replay for completion.

• Like 1

So it would seem like those that require activation of a challenge mote would still require a second play through on the same character that did it first time.  One can hope they might fix that, or at least make it second play through for the account, just so first time players don't activate the challenge mode than then complain about how difficult it was.

• Like 1