Back after 2+ years, sparsely populated maps in EOD xpac?

I purchased the EOD xpac and personally I think its fantastic (I'm at the beginning of New Kaineng now) but I'm constantly seeing the prompt to server switch due to low player numbers.  I remember from years ago there was a bug where this message would appear incorrectly but it would obvious, like surrounded by dozens of others and then seeing the prompt. However, when I see this error now on an EOD map I'm not "surrounded", there might only be 1 or 2 other player nearby which makes me think its a legit message.

Where is everyone?  Did the bottom fall out of this game?  Or does EoD just lack the big meta events that HoT and PoF have and no one sticks around to farm EoD?  Or is everyone off doing Dragon Bash and/or Season 1 stuff?

Edited by EmmetOtter.8542
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The message usually appears when people leave the map en-masse after a meta and some maps need to be removed. There is also churn as people transit through maps. It is a sign of high pop, not low one (low pop = 1 map = never deleted).

Edited by yavi.3105
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The whole question you're asking shows a lack of understanding of how the game works.

First of all, having to switch maps constantly because your map is low population doesn't show that the game has a low population. It shows that the game  has a higher population. IF the population was truly  low, there would only be one map in the first place.

Secondly, a lot of people are on maps for specific reasons and when they're done with that they move to another map. If the Kaineng meta is on, there may be several maps doing it.  That means more maps will spawn, because that meta is on. You can check when metas are on by typing /wiki ET in game, which will take you to the event timer. Scroll all the way down.

If an meta event is on in a zone, people will rush that zone to do it. That means more zones are created. That means when the event is over, you have several maps all being emptied at once, while people move onto the next thing.

This is exacerbated by what seems like EoD having lower map caps.  Because I'm one of the people there for something specific, I often pop a tag and people show up to get specific events done, or I go to the LFG tool and find the map doing the meta, join that squad and transfer to that map. It helps to be a bit early.

But you can't have maps emptying out, if no one was there in the first place, making new maps.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

It's just a thing with EoD.

For some reason, the game opens a needless amount of copies of the EoD maps with small amounts of players and then tries to close them down, because the game failed to place people in other, more populated copies. Maybe it's related to the EoD maps being capped around 50 players, while other maps have a much higher player cap.

Unless it was for a meta or otherwise semi-significant event (like the Leviathan for unlocking the Turtle mount), I've rarely seen more than two players (including me) near each other in EoD.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

They seem to have a bug - or lower player cap on purpose. Also the maps are "do them and leave" maps - where most people only do the main achievements and then leave. Some more hardcore people do all the small achievements. And people playing quickly might just map complete and do the story step - then move on.

There is no long-time interesting stuff ... besides maybe the Dragon's End meta that is losing value with the dropping prices for Summoning Stones.

HoT had the actually fun meta events. And PoF the quicky stuff (lot of easy meta events) for the chest for trading contracts for example.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1