Rifle Suggestion

Malus.2184

As rifle is now the number of shots fired per auto-attack (AA) has been increased from 1 to 2 and the damage per shot reduced apropriately. This is IMO a good change since I would rather fire two shots per attack instead of one as the former is more interesting. This has led to some interesting and unintended synergy between this and the Trait Aim-Assisted Rocket (AAR).

AAR has no internal limitations it just says per critical hit. Since rifle AA pierces it can potentially score a lot of critical hits for AAR in one AA. The same with the third AA, the explosion. This can be tested by taking Blast Shield instead of AAR as it has no offensive capabilities at all. The damage drops drastically with Blast Shield instead of AAR.

To stop this utter insanity and make it a bit more balanced, instead of just evaporating targets in PsPvP and WvW put some sort of limitation on the interaction between critical hits and AAR. Addint an internal CD would only make it relatively worse when you have Quickness since you attack faster yet the ICD remains the same. I would place a limitation on it so that you could only build one charge per attack regardless of how you attacked, as I had my mech in PvE do a Sky Circus, it critted four times on four targets, who promptly ate an Orbital Strike each, only builkd one charge towards the Orbital Strike regardles of how many critical hits were made.

I also noticed a wierd interaction between the riffle A and AAR when I tested on the AoE pack of Golemns in the sPvP lobby. If you make too many critical hits on too many targets at once it only fires AAR instead of Orbital Strikes.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

AAR has no internal limitations it just says per critical hit. Since rifle AA pierces it can potentially score a lot of critical hits for AAR in one AA. The same with the third AA, the explosion. This can be tested by taking Blast Shield instead of AAR as it has no offensive capabilities at all. The damage drops drastically with Blast Shield instead of AAR.

AAR has 3 second ICD. The damage evaporates when you swap to Blast Shield, is because the rifle AA in itself is pretty weak. It is weaker than most of our kit AAs, or any of the elit spec weapon AA chains.

27 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

I had my mech

And this is probably the reason why you see more than one procs every 3 seconds. Mech has the trait going on seperately, so you both can fire a rocket every 3 seconds. This is 100% intended, because they made sure to mention, that the reworked power adept mechanist trait gives this interaction specifically.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tails.9372 said:

It does have a 3 sec. ICD.

Observing closer it does, however, when using a rigle, at least on a Mechanist and having the mech out, this seems to be inconsistent as sometimes the mech's critical hits will count as your own and thus bypass the ICD. At least that's the best explanation I have to explain what I observe.

19 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

Observing closer it does, however, when using a rigle, at least on a Mechanist and having the mech out, this seems to be inconsistent as sometimes the mech's critical hits will count as your own and thus bypass the ICD. At least that's the best explanation I have to explain what I observe.

I've spent around 6 minutes autoattacking the golem, to see, if I can replicate what you are saying, but nothing soo far. I can see one rocket flying from my character every ~3 seconds, and one rocket from my mech, every ~3 seconds.

I guess people lost their ability to read skill description as it clearly indicate there IS a 3 sec ICD.

That being said,  the interaction is also intended but only works if you're using the range arms. They removed the Mechanist inheriting the explosive trait line but allowed AAR to be used by the mech IF it is running the guns arm. Since the rocket comes from the mech as well, it has its own ICD and its own proc chance. Yes it is possible to see 2 rockets at the same time if both proc at the same time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Someone already explained that mechanist has a seperated trait which allows the mech to use AAR with it's own ICD of 3 seconds.
Mech Arms: Jade Cannons:

Melee attacks become ranged, have an increased chance to critically hit, and apply vulnerability. Unlocks the Mech Command skill Spark Revolver.

If you have the Explosives trait Aim-Assisted Rocket, your mech also gains the effect of that trait.

Please, people, READ stuff before making unsupported claims on the forums.

• Thanks 1