so utility goggles next?

Stalima.5490

We got some nice rifle updates recently so perhaps it is time to look at a utility that is almost universally looked at once and then laughed at, yes, the utility goggles.

Currently all these really do is remove one blind, apply resistance and break a stun, essentially they do almost the equivilent of nothing, if gadgeteer is traited they at least give a small protection but they are still doing basically nothing considering what more or less all of the other stun breaks do.

The issue comes into what would be changed about them, my only thoughts here are making it so they allow you to see stealthed targets for a duration and for your projectile attacks to be unblockable, which is something much needed with all the projectile block and reflect in the game right now giving the engineer at least some way to deal with it that does not involve going afk for 30 seconds straight while it all wears off.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, santenal.1054 said:

fun fact: utility goggles + gadgeteer + Anticorrosion plating = condi cleans (+ superior rune of antitoxin = 2 condi cleanses) 

So you mean with just the investment of 2 grandmaster traits, I can make utility goggles cleanse a whole condition?

Wow, amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

So you mean with just the investment of 2 grandmaster traits, I can make utility goggles cleanse a whole condition?

Wow, amazing.

Just saying it's an option for people who like to use gadgets, whether it is worth the trait/rune investment is up to the individual to decide for themself. (Besides, anticorrosion Plating is a pretty frequently taken trait for many players anyway) all in all a 24 sec stunbreaker with 2 condi cleanses (+ resistance + protection) ain't all that bad (I dont know if the blind cleans can trigger the anti toxin runes a second time, I know Rocket boots trigger the rune but rocket boots doesn't have a standard cleans)

(Not gonna argue over it any further)

Edited by santenal.1054

8 minutes ago, santenal.1054 said:

Just saying it's an option for people who like to use gadgets, whether it is worth the trait/rune investment is up to the individual to decide for themself. (Besides, anticorrosion Plating is a pretty frequently taken trait for many players anyway) all in all a 24 sec stunbreaker with 2 condi cleanses (+ resistance + protection) ain't all that bad (I dont know if the blind cleans can trigger the anti toxin runes a second time, I know Rocket boots triggers the rune but rocket boots doesn't have a standard cleans)

It's a fun little play of synergies, but let's not act like this is salvaging the skill in some way.

All utility goggles do without traits is removing blind, breaking stuns and giving 3 seconds of resistance on 30 seconds cooldown. That is legit a very very bad skill... the blind removal isn't even that useful considering that it already provides resistance, which makes you ignore blind anyway.

Then there is also the toolbelt skill... which just applies reveal on enemies in an area. Sure, it can be useful in PvP/WvW. But just and only if you are fighting an enemy with access to stealth in the first place. And in PvE, this skill does literally NOTHING 99% of the time (since enemies with stealth are very very rare in PvE).

The skill needs a rework... badly....

• Like 1

Even traited, it has a worse CD than Slick Shoes Toolbelt, Superspeed. So it's not even redeemable as a CC Break skill, Slick Shoes offers the same and more by comparison.

That said, at least it can be fixed if Anet took a look at it, Turrets in the other hand... irredemable.

Tbh, one aspect why I hated that mechanist gave us signets as the new utility skill type is that I always thought our gadgets should have become our version of signets.

Most gadgets are thematically already some device you wear on your body, so it would have made sense for me if they provided some passive effect for wearing the device, but you can activate them for another effect.

• Utility goggles giving you additional condition damage
  • Rocket boots giving you more movement speed
  • Personal battering ram letting you rip boons with CC
  • Throw mine increasing your power damage
  • Slick shoes reducing the damage you take
  • AED periodically producing small amounts of barrier

But this dream is now dead. 😥

Edited by Kodama.6453

Theres an alternate reality somewhere in which anet decided to swap some of the toolbelt and gadget skills around and made gadget toolbelts into passive effects and instead of mechanized deployment giving cooldowns it gives increased effects to toolbelt skills, and then everyone is screaming at the tools traitline being too powerful for some reason.

Edited by Stalima.5490